Palm Zire 31

The Saints

I am looking for a PDA to use for my caching. So far the Palm Zire 31 seems to be the best buy at app $130. Any advise before I make this purchase?

Thank you,

Scott :anibad:

Yeah, save some money and get something used off eBay.

I got a used Zire 31 off Ebay for $58.00.

I use it for 2 things: Cachemate, and digital pictures.

My only complaint is that the screen is very difficult to read ouside, when looking at pictures, and when trying to navigate the CM database. I am learning to deal with it, but if you can find someone who has one, you might ask for a demo first.

Other than the screen, it performs wonderfully.

I got a used Zire 31 off Ebay for $58.00.

I use it for 2 things: Cachemate, and digital pictures.

Say what? digital pics w/ a Zire 31? I think you must mean a Zire 72, yes? It's the model with the camera, the 31 doesn't have a camera.

Me? I just a month ago splurged and bought myself a Palm Tungsten T-3 for my birthday. That puppy was to die for. But alas - I took it down to Costa Rica with me and... theives broke into my rental jeep and took EVERYTHING: my passport, credit cards, every last cent, and both my precious T3 and beloved Magellan Sportrak Map. :ph34r::anibad::lol::lol:

Ah but as others have said - once you go paperless, you can never go back, so... though I can't afford another T3, for geocaching, the Zire 31 will do just fine. Even the 21 would do, but for a few bucks more, the 31 takes a card for expandable memory - good for those sweet maps, and... I just happen to have a 256mb card fromt the T3 that the robbers didn't get... :lol:

I purchased one for use with Cachemate and Mapopolis. Great combo, makes finding those remote caches too easy.

With regards to the screen, I just tweak the contrast to the extreme and it's fine under sunlight. Of course you have to readjust it for when you're indoors again.

I just purchased a Zire 31 about a month ago at Office Max and I am very pleased with it. I use it along with GSAK and Cachemate and it works very well. I would recommend buying it if it is in your price range. The sun doesn't seem to cause me too much trouble. If I have difficulty seeing the screen I just turn my back to the sun or find a shade tree. :lol: