"virtual" Caches

M-T-P

For a while now on GC's forums, I've been hearing stories of people constantly surveying the area for possible hiding spots wherever they go. Recently, I've started doing the same thing. As I drive around town or in the country, I'll start thinking to myself, "I wonder if a cache might be (over there, under that, stuck on this, etc)". I can't walk through a parking lot anymore without wanting to check the light poles for magnetic nano caches! Lately, I've even been driving to work with my GPS on "Nearest" mode so I can see which caches on my list are closest to my current position.

Unfortunately, I think the obsession has gone too far. I'll occasionally join an online game of CounterStrike or Day of Defeat for some good kill-or-be-killed fun. But last night when I was playing, I realized that I had temporarily stopped looking around for people with guns trying to kill me and was scoping out possible geocache hiding spots. With virtual machine gun in hand, I was thinking to myself, "I wonder if a cache might be (over there, under that, stuck on this, etc.)". I guess this might be considered the newest type of "virtual" cache. Oh, what has become of me?!?!?!?

When I read this, I had to double check that it wasn't one of my posts. Then I remembered, that it was impossible because THIS is my very first post.

I too play online FPS (first-person shooters) on the computer. Day of Defeat to be exact.

But like M-T-P, I found myself in a game looking for places to hide a nice juicy cache. And just when I'm about to step out of the matrix, BAM! I'm "dead". Then I see my assailant's kind text appear on screen, "LOL, wtf! what were you doing? You were just standing there?!"

I was going to explain myself to this virtualgeomuggle but I realized that it was pointless. So I simply retorted "I was AFK." :lol:

Edited by ac!

That gives me an idea for a 3D geocaching online game.

It could even have a battle mode, where you're dodging gunfire (or paintballs) and having to avoid traps while seeking the cache. You can play with NPCs or real people online.

And if you're wondering, "Why not just go caching for real?", well... DeerHunter was very successful game, and I wondered, "Why not just go deer hunting for real?"

Plus, it would be difficult to have a battle mode in real life. Or caches on Jupiter...

Luna

Well, I don't know about the "killing games," but I do know that I can't drive down the road without my GPS by my side - going "Oh, we just passed one" or "Oh, there's none over this way, maybe we should put one here"!

I have 5 kids (12, 12, 9, 6, & 4) and they all think the same thing wherever they go - "That'd be a good place for one" or "do you think there's one there - let me just check it out, please, oh please?!"

It gets really bad when your 4 year old looks under every light fixture and bush for a "treasure" whether you're going to a restaurant or a store or a park or wherever :laughing: !!!

For a while now on GC's forums, I've been hearing stories of people constantly surveying the area for possible hiding spots wherever they go. Recently, I've started doing the same thing. As I drive around town or in the country, I'll start thinking to myself, "I wonder if a cache might be (over there, under that, stuck on this, etc)". I can't walk through a parking lot anymore without wanting to check the light poles for magnetic nano caches! Lately, I've even been driving to work with my GPS on "Nearest" mode so I can see which caches on my list are closest to my current position.

Unfortunately, I think the obsession has gone too far. I'll occasionally join an online game of CounterStrike or Day of Defeat for some good kill-or-be-killed fun. But last night when I was playing, I realized that I had temporarily stopped looking around for people with guns trying to kill me and was scoping out possible geocache hiding spots. With virtual machine gun in hand, I was thinking to myself, "I wonder if a cache might be (over there, under that, stuck on this, etc.)". I guess this might be considered the newest type of "virtual" cache. Oh, what has become of me?!?!?!?

:) yea me too

This is what I'd call a virtual cache. If my father were here he could translate the description, but unfortunately my Swedish isn't great. Basically, it's a little game written in Java where you hunt down some caches. You may then log a find on that page. Where's the Java game? Well, finding it is part of the challenge :)

(Hint: Take a look at the posted screencaps.)

My daughter was three the first time I took her caching. I chose one that was close to a road, out in the middle of nowhere - figured it would be easy to find. After a few minutes looking under the trees and bushes, i saw it peeking from under one we hadn't checked yet. So I said to her "will you climb under that bush and look? I can't fit in there." And she did, and of course, found her first geocache. We took it out, and I asked her what she wanted to have, and then went into my swag bag and found an appropriate item...as I was signing the logbook, I looked around, and she had started running from tree to tree, checking each and every one of them thoroughly. :) I thought, maybe she's on to something...instead of spending $200 to $500 on a GPS, just check EVERY rock/tree/bush/lightpost for a cache. You are bound to find one sooner or later!

I play World of Warcraft.

Those elf lands and their beautiful overgrown woods. What a gorgeous place to hide a cache. Is it bad that I am thinking- I could put a character out in the middle of the computer forest and trade like health potions or deviate delight and you could only log the find if you tell what color my hat is!

Man, I am a nerd! :o

Those elf lands and their beautiful overgrown woods. What a gorgeous place to hide a cache. Is it bad that I am thinking- I could put a character out in the middle of the computer forest and trade like health potions or deviate delight and you could only log the find if you tell what color my hat is!

that would be the coolest cache EVER. there are some good ideas in this thread, someone should try one. if there was an in-game cache, what type would you post it as? locationless? or would geocaching.com have to make a new cache type?

rtb

I'm a MUD programmer and area creator in my other life. I've often thought about creating a cache that would require login to a specified location to an "easter egg" that gives the next spot in the sequence. Fortunately, unlike the bastage graphical games, MUDs primarily remain free-to-play.

VW

I still have to say, since you have to pay to play for most MMORPGs, this wouldn't work. It would be like hiding a cache at a theme park.

But I REALLY like the idea of this. Perhaps a cache that only had "pick a favorite MMORPG game" time minutes in it. Some do that, have game cards that allow you to put a certain amount of money on the cards. You take a card, go home, and on the card is a location.

You go to that location in the game, after signing up with your free minutes, and find the second cache virtually! Make it part of a multi!

Waddaya think?

It would probably do well in a game like Evercrack (everquest) or a mud. Any MMORPG that sustains the objects when the servers refresh would be cool.

But please don't do that. I put down the evercrack pipe a couple years ago and dont need a reason to go back. Thats why I picked up collecting Mosins, geocaching, woodworking, reading, having kids, and generally living in the real world instead of a computer. :):laughing::lol:

Edited by The Bookends