Yorkshire Dales Caches

We're having a week's holiday in the Yorkshire Dales in May and wondered if anyone could recommend some caches. We'll be staying near Malham Cove but we don't mind driving a fair distance for a good cache. We prefer caches with a reasonable length walk (2+ miles ideally) that take you through nice scenery or to interesting old buildings. If you have any recommendations please post them here or send them to us via our profile.

Many thanks for your help.

Gary & Jane

Where shall I start - they're ALL good! :anibad:

I can recommend nearly all the caches in the Yorkshire Dales as it's a beautiful part of the country with some excellent caches. Since I moved south last September, a few new ones have been set which naturally I can't comment on.

If you're looking for groups of caches to do then I recommend the Settle area, of which there are 11. The ones I have found and can therefore recommend are...

Stainforth Foss A short walk along the Ribble to a waterfall

Catrigg Force Another, more spectacular waterfall and gorge on the River Ribble

Victoria Cave A longer walk out of Settle - fantastic views!

Rye Loaf Hill A 5 mile walk to a trig point - great views

Home View A steep uphill but quick cache just outside Settle town centre

Castleberg Rock Another steep but short walk in Settle to the top of a limestone crag - lovely views over the town and surrounding countryside

I am sure the others in the area are just as good but as I haven't found them, I can't comment. Any cache hidden by Sleepless42 comes with a guarantee!!!

Then there's Swaledale which can keep you occupied for a whole day. They tend to be much shorter caches in terms of distance. Starting in Richmond and heading west...

Easby View A lovely ruined abbey by the River Swale

Roaming Round Richmond A multi around Richmond town centre

Leoness' Yorkshire Den A short walk along the banks of the Swale

Willance's Leap An uphill walk out of Richmond - nice views along Swaledale

Munn End A longer walk on the moor up to a trig point - lovely views

Fremington Edge Steep uphill but not too far!

Bridal Reeth Beautiful summer meadow down to stepping stones across the River Swale

Swaledale View Another steep uphill with great views

Booze, but no Booze! A short but steep climb out of the lovely village of Langthwaite

Punchard A much longer walk of a few miles to an old tin mine

Britain's Highest Pub A cache & dash with good views!

The best of the rest...

Crackpot A longer walk to a ruined house - great views along the gorge

Buttertubs An interesting cache near to the famous potholes.

Aysgarth Falls Where they filmed the fight scene in the river for "Robin Hood Prince of Thieves"

And not forgetting, of course, the three Yorkshire peaks if you fancy a longer, more strenuous walk (Ingleborough, Whernside, Pen-y-ghent).

And finally, if you fancy a 15 mile walk, taking in 7 caches, a BIG hill and the best limestone scenery in the Dales, then in the following order...

Norber Erratics Interesting glacial deposits

Sleepy Hollow

Gaping Ghyll The famous pothole which you can be winched down into by the local caving club on Bank Holidays and Ingleborough Caves on the way past

Ingleborough Second highest of the Yorkshire Three Peaks

Beck & Fall - Caved In See another famous Yorkshire pothole - Alum Pot

Sulber Gate Hidden in the middle of a limestone pavement - fantastic scenery!

Moughton Scar Fairly near to a trig point, right in the middle of limestone country - great views.

I think I have put photos in most of my logs to give you an indication of the beautiful countryside.

I hope that's sufficient to whet your appetite and I'm sure you'll have a great holiday. :ph34r:

Edited by Leoness

Well done Leoness.... (by the way are you on commission by Yorkshire Tourist Board !) LOL !

No... but it took me nearly an hour to research, type up and do the links in my reply, so maybe I should be!!! I can't speak passionately enough about the Yorkshire Dales - simply breathtaking countryside!

Seriously, having started geocaching whilst I was living in N Yorkshire, I have been totally spoilt by the caches in the area and nowhere else seems quite the same.

The good news for me is that I expect to be moving back to N Yorkshire in 3-4 years time! :anibad:

Edited by Leoness
I hope that's sufficient to whet your appetite and I'm sure you'll have a great holiday.

Wow! Thank you Leoness for taking the time to produce such a comprehensive list. We can't wait to go now. It normally rains when we go on holiday so we're going prepared this time with our new Bothy Bag. At least the caches will be kept nice and dry! We'll let you know how we get on. Thanks again.

Gary & Jane

Edited by Gary & Jane

We had a really enjoyable holiday and amazingly didn't even need to use our bothy bag! The scenery in the Dales is simply stunning. Many thanks to everyone, especially Leoness and Sleepless42, for their recommendations. There were far too many caches to do in a week so we'll definitely be back!

Gary & Jane

We had a really enjoyable holiday and amazingly didn't even need to use our bothy bag! The scenery in the Dales is simply stunning. Many thanks to everyone, especially Leoness and Sleepless42, for their recommendations. There were far too many caches to do in a week so we'll definitely be back!

Gary & Jane

I'm pleased to hear you had a good time but then I knew you would!!! :P

I just took a look at your stats and notice that you made it up at least one of the three peaks whilst you were there. Now you're just going to HAVE to go back and do the other two!!! :huh::huh: