Locationless Caches

My opinion is that it should be a whole lot easier when locationless and virtual caches are redesigned into a new activity. I agree that the existing functionality is not well-suited to the task -- one of the principal reasons why there's been a moratorium on new locationless caches since early 2003. In the meantime I am not going to worry about them very much, preferring instead to see how the new solution works out.

Some seem so easy to do but it seems you have to search through the copious logs to prevent logging a duplicate. Is this the hardest part?

Perhaps a new format will make it easier but at present when I spot something that would be a locationless cache that might not have been logged I get the coords and photos and a photo of me (or my hand) with the GPS at the site.

Then I check for logs like this. Call up the whole list of logs in one window. Click edit and click find in top window (Ctrl F). Enter the latitude degree and the minutes number you have recorded and click find. This should get you any logs for finds in that general vicinity and you can quickly tell if you have a new one. You can double check with longitude degree and minutes.

Thanks to Bluet, who clued me in on this. A why didn't I think of that moment.

NevaP, still cluless on a lot of computer stuff :ph34r:

I don't search through the logs to see of someone else found it or not. The truth is the challenge is to find the object itself and not how many other people logged it. So I really don't care who did it before I did any more than who found a standard cache before I did. I'm still going to find the cache.

The problem is not so much duplicate logs as the ability to cheat from them and there are solutions for that. Since I only log about 1 Locationless a year it doesn't bother me much. If they stopped placing regular caches I'd get a lot more interested in them. I've driven by several things that qualify for locatinless caches for over 2 years. Maybe someday I'll log them.

I personally see a place for them in the current structure, but then again I;m not the one doing the work on the site here.

I think the problem was more a issue of approval. Some just flat out should not have been approved (picture of a US FLAG, Fire Engine, etc) while other were well justified (Moterless Stone-wall, Wooden Cigar Store Indian). There were also the ones where the criteria was such that even numerous legit finds were disallowed by the owners (i.e. Frank Llyod Wright) while other never checked for duplicates (i.e too many to list)

I have done about 40 and, yes, I admit to doing some of the lame ones however I think the solution should be to tighten up the approval and criteria.

It appears they are slowly dying out. I have noticed about 20 or so archived in the last month or so.

by the way, there is at least one tool that locates quickly weather or not the location you are considering is a duplicate. It is called Locationless Proximity however I do not remeber the link.

Easy to see if the item has been logged already. Load to view all logs on 1 page. Then go up to EDIT and select FIND (on this page). I enter the _ _ _ XX.X_ _ part of either the N or W coord. Takes me about 2 min max to see if one has been logged already.

Personally I like locationless caches.

Easy to see if the item has been logged already. Load to view all logs on 1 page. Then go up to EDIT and select FIND (on this page). I enter the _ _ _ XX.X_ _ part of either the N or W coord. Takes me about 2 min max to see if one has been logged already.

.....Assuming that you actually stopped somewhere, verified that it fits the criteria and took a quick GPS reading.......

.....Assuming that you actually stopped somewhere, verified that it fits the criteria and took a quick GPS reading.......

Umm, I thought that's what you were supposed to do in order to log them :ph34r: (well at least the few that I've done required coords and a pic with the gps & item)

I don't do locationless caches.

They don't seem to be caches to me...they seem like they could be a cool activity, but not in the same way the as geocaches.

Geocaches, physical and virtual, take me to places that somebody else found remarkable for some reason, and there is an aspect of sharing in that...LCs seem to be missing that...they seem more like a scavenger hunt to me...I like scavenger hunts, but they aren't geocaching (and vice versa).

That being said, I am fine with people geocaching in any way that is fun for them (within the boundaries of the law), but you asked...

nfa-jamie

Not sure why you posted to this quote since you don't like LCs but the method mentioned works very well it is how I cehck for a LC to see if it has been logged and if in doubt I have found the owners to be very helpful.

I like LCs as they are a challenge to find you basically have to meomorize them all and then when out cacheing serandipidiously find them. Some I have hunted speicfically sometimes find on but just like looking for a micro sometimes not. It is all a game NO one forces you to do any thing you don't want to do.

cheers

Not sure why you posted to this quote since you don't like LCs but the method mentioned works very well it is how I cehck for a LC to see if it has been logged and if in doubt I have found the owners to be very helpful.

I like LCs as they are a challenge to find you basically have to meomorize them all and then when out cacheing serandipidiously find them. Some I have hunted speicfically sometimes find on but just like looking for a micro sometimes not. It is all a game NO one forces you to do any thing you don't want to do.

cheers

Point being........(I hate it when I fail at communicating....) :ph34r:

It is hard, difficult to research which ones have already been logged BEFORE you go out and look for one or bother to stop and grab coordinates.....

I regularly drive by 5 or 6 that could probably be logged but it is difficult or hard to go through the logs and determine if someone beat me to it. Because these hold little interest to me, I am awaiting newer/better tools for determining this.

sorry for creating angst.........

It is hard, difficult to research which ones have already been logged BEFORE you go out and look for one or bother to stop and grab coordinates.....

I don't research them before I got out nor do I make a special trip to find a locationless. I just do my best to remember a few of them before I head out caching.

When I see the "item" I just stop the car (or ask the driver to stop the car), mark a waypoint and snap a pic with the gps in it. Sometimes I log my finds and am happy that no one has logged the LC I found, and other times I am disappointed to see that it's already been logged. I've found 4 different "see rock city barns" and all have already been logged, but I am still hopeful that I'll eventually find one that hasn't been logged :anibad:

I live in a small town in washington state and love finding caches of any kind.I have learned alot about the community I live in thanks to the L.C. caches.I spend qualty time with my 3 year old grandson finding the treasures(we spend sundays logging finds).I dont just drive anymore.I dont look at the town or country the same way I used to. I look at every thing.I see things that most people dont pay any attention to (nor did I)I have found a few and am going to find more.As soon as I can I am going to Make my own.I know what it will be and am waiting patiantly to get it online.

I love locationless, 130 locationless logs in total, though only 8 this year. I've stumbled onto them, and made trips especially to get them. Lately I keep an eye on the Scavenger Hunt cache (which I've logged twice) and the Florida Scavenger Hunt cache. I was much saddened by the archiving of Cache on the Barrelhead. Looking forward to what's coming next. I always take "the shot" when I see something loggable. Then I check, and mostly it's already been logged, but sometimes not.

There arent many local cachers so I dont worry about if its been logged or not.I checked most cachers stats in my area and none of them has any l.c.caches logged.They must not know about them or just dont want to do them.I am having fun with it and cant wait till they are back.

I don't research them before I got out nor do I make a special trip to find a locationless. I just do my best to remember a few of them before I head out caching.

When I see the "item" I just stop the car (or ask the driver to stop the car), mark a waypoint and snap a pic with the gps in it. Sometimes I log my finds and am happy that no one has logged the LC I found, and other times I am disappointed to see that it's already been logged. I've found 4 different "see rock city barns" and all have already been logged, but I am still hopeful that I'll eventually find one that hasn't been logged :anibad:

This is how I do it. Just a serandapidious experance..

cheers