Garmin's Versus Ipaq /tomtom/ Gpstuner

Hello ,

This has probably been asked a thousand times , and in the end its all down to personal preference but .....

I have an Ipaq loaded with Tomtom nav and GPSTuner from Megalith , I tend to use Tomtom to get me to the parking co-ord's for the cache , then switch to GPS tuner to 'point' me to the cache location.

After Caching this weekend , and getting very frustrated switching between the two aplications , and having to look at a paper map !!! I thought there must be an easier way.

My Quandry is : Do I buy OS maps in digital form and load them into GPSTuner. Where can I get these from ?

or Do I buy a Garmin ( my budget is around £125 possibly a Legend , does the mapping help on these ?)

or do I buy something like Memory-Map and load it onto my Ipaq.

The last thing is , I assume ( big assumption ) that my Ipaq with Bluetooth GPS receiver is as accurate as a Garmin handheld device. or will I get better results with a garmin. ??

Lost of questions there , I am sorry

Thanks for any input

Kind regards

MARK :ph34r:

Would Appreciate any experiences or flaws in any of those setups.

Edited by CrazyCucumber

Just so you won't feel ignored . . .

However, I can't answer your questions because I use a Garmin Vista and an older Palm M500.

However, I think the answer to this question

The last thing is, I assume ( big assumption ) that my Ipaq with Bluetooth GPS receiver is as accurate as a Garmin handheld device. or will I get better results with a garmin. ??

is "no." Your unit is new so it should be able to acquire the data from the satellites just as well as a Garmin Legend.

I have been using BeeLine for almost a month now. I tried the others too, GPS Tuner, etc. I wouldn't waste my time with the others. BeeLine is the way to go. Superb technical support, but first and foremost, it is a superb program for geocaching. Best $30 I've spent in geocaching, besides the premium membership for geocaching.com.

If my budget was limited to a single mapping solution I'd use the Maps that go on my GPS. The routing GPS's are very good and the maps are about as good as any when it comes to city streets.

Anyway, thats' my advice. First put maps on your GPS. Then look at other options when your budget and experience tell you that you need to look at something else. As a bonus the maps for your GPS also work on your computer (or should...)

Thanks for that guys , I uploaded some didgital maps created from multimap and stiched together, time consuming and now have a 17Mb GTM map file for GPS tuner. found this alot of help and got my bearing so much easier , also tried out the Beeline softeware on trial , was really good too. I think i will stick with this until , as you say , my budget and experience requires more technology !

Cheers