Reserving An Area

Having spent the last 5 months in negotiation with a park manager (it is now with the legal dept) over permision to place a cache i am now concerned that with the spate of new cachers that this spot may be used to place a cache without consultation. How was it agreed to hold an area pending permision?

I would guess that asking Lactodorum or Eckington would be the best way - they might agree to reject anyone elses caches.

If you go to the 'list a cache' page, and untick the "This cache is currently active" box, the system will assign a GC number, but not submit the cache for review. I'm not sure, but I would suspect that this will add the cache co-ords to the database, which will give you the 0.1 mile exclusion zone.

If you go to the 'list a cache' page, and untick the "This cache is currently active" box, the system will assign a GC number, but not submit the cache for review. I'm not sure, but I would suspect that this will add the cache co-ords to the database, which will give you the 0.1 mile exclusion zone.

Certainly if you do this, the 'system' will allocate a way-point reference to the cache but the Reviewers WON'T be able to see it. As the 0.1 mile exclusion zone isn't, as far as I know, an automatic function, the Reviewers won't know it's there and may well approve another cache that's submitted within the 0.1 mile zone.

Isn't the only method to get the cache description approved and published, but temporarily disable it until permission has been confirmed and the physical cache placed? It would be unfair to allow someone to spend time and effort devising a cache, only for it to be refused on the basis that another cache is proposed for the area. Surely it has to be first-come-first-served unless some sophisticated queuing system is brought in.

I am guessing that listing a cache in this location is going to be the only way and then disabling pending the official sign off. The area is a bit bigger than 0.1miles square so it will need to exclude all other caches in this park. Plan is for a large multi (all logable stages) throughout the park.

A cache once appeared 125 feet away from one of mine! The blame was on the postcode database as the person who hid it did a search for caches using a postcode and the site said the nearest was 17miles away, Only after placing it and it being approved did it appear on the site as being too close. So no the 0.1 mile thing is not automatic, Things can slip through by mistake

Of course, if you're in negotiation with the park manager about permission to place caches, then there's obviously no current permission, so if you let the reviewers know this, they'll not approve any caches until you have finished negotiations and got the park management approval.

Simple - submit a "holding" cache, even with minimal details and explain what's happening in the Note to Reviewer.

We'll see the cache, you'll be "reserving" the spot and we won't act upon it until you're ready

I might be doing this myself as I have a permission all but in the bag in a potentially very popular area.