PDA's... Do you use one? are they Useful?

mr.magoo

While I'm always intrigued by a neat gadget or device, I have yet to acquire a PDA for myself. I have been contemplating it lately and was curious as to how many people actually use them for geocaching. Are they very useful or just an extra thing to pack along? What seem to be the popular models with geocaching in mind?

tx all and Happy Holidays!

Magoo

I carry a PPC. Allot of people use Palm devices.

I used to print out all the cache pages. I wasted allot of paper and ink.

I switched to a PDA and haven't looked back.

I don't use Pocket Queries though. I like to save the whole web page. The printer friendly version anyway.

PPCs have plenty of memory for this.

cool2.gif

geomark8.gif

If you do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

quote:
Originally posted by mr.magoo:

...PDA...

keknj and I both have Palm devices, but haven't tried them for Geocaching yet...I certainly will as soon as I get a chance to play with finding the most convienient of the several ways to get cache info into it.

ApK

I use my Palm III for caching. I started by just copying all of the descriptions for the day into a memo so I could use the HintDecoder (I think it is listed on the Links page). Then I discovered GeoClipping (http://home.earthlink.net/~rschoolf/geoclipping.htm). It copies the data from the cache page, reformats it a bit and puts it on the clipboard where I paste it into a new memo.

So far this system is working pretty well.

WindChill

I've got a PPC and as it broke I can tell you how much you come to miss them. It doesn't take long at all to get used to having every cache you are interested in on your PDA. Since I do use pocket queries I can see what the other poster is talking about. You get about the 5 most recent logs. I like to read them all.

With my PDA I've also got MS Streets and trips and local maps with pushpin files marking all the geocaches that I've not found yet. As soon as I can swing it I'm going to spring for National Geographic Topo for the PPC and see what it's about.

I won't even go into what it does for you in your day to day life that you can get used to. Needless to say I'm looking forward to getting it back out of warantee repair.

With the price of the new Dell PPC's these units should get more affordable all around.

Wherever you go there you are.

I brought a refurb Sony ($99) specifically for caching. I use the pocket queries and love them. No more paper print outs!! Once a week I have five separate queries sent to me.

found

Traditional un-found

Virtual un-found

Multi un-found

All other un-found

Since you get these sent in eBook and LOC format I can upload them to the PDA then change the icons and waypoints before I upload into my GPSr.

Hop in the car, boot-up the GPSr and start driving. When I see I'm near a waypoint I do a quick check on the palm (via the search) and decide if I have the time for it. Virtuals are the easiest. Read what you need to do, copy the info (right on the PDA) and off you go. You never know what you've been passing while going from point A to point B.

All the other PDA stuff is even better. It has organized my life better than ever. Addresses, ToDo lists, schedules, and don't forget all the cool PDA games.

I have to keep pretty accurate notes on the hours and projects my crew and I work on. This is made it much easier. You can Hotsync it to your computer and have a backup copy of all your info. Also if you get a memory stick you can keep a backup of the PDA on it also.

Commercial over. You are now being returned to your regularly scheduled program.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

I use a Palm m130. I have had it for about a month and a half and really love it. I originally bought if for caching but have found it useful for so many other things. I like the appointment book feature the best. If I've got something to do in the near future, or just something I need to remember on a certain day, I make an entry and the alarm will automatically go off an hour before the appointment. I am still forgetful, but because of the PDA, I'm on time a whole lot more than I used to be.

To stay on topic, I use the pocket queries with mine. I download all the waypoints into my Garmin V and when I see one close, I use the search on my PDA to get the cache details. After I find the cache(hopefully), I can use the notepad to write down any info about the find(or no find). I can do each one as a note and at the end of the day, the PDA already has them in numbered order. That makes it super easy when it comes to logging my caching day. Another feature I like about the notepad is that you can write on the screen in your own handwriting, so it is fairly quick to make your log.

Hope this helps....

KYtrex

-----------------

War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left

Yep. Have used one for others things and they translate naturally to 'cachin' as well.

I'm using the Pocket Queries and like, but will also the clipping program mentioned too.

Mike

quote:
Originally posted by mr.magoo:

While I'm always intrigued by a neat gadget or device, I have yet to acquire a PDA for myself. I have been contemplating it lately and was curious as to how many people actually use them for geocaching. Are they very useful or just an extra thing to pack along? What seem to be the popular models with geocaching in mind?

tx all and Happy Holidays!

Magoo

Gsdvr

Huntsville

Since I use my palm device (TRGPro) for everything else from birding to work logs to a replacement for my brain having to remember things...

I specifically bought a GPS receiver separate from the palm add-ons to be able to use it separately and have additional screenage.

I use a custom database (via ThinkDB) I copy cache's into the device and then log them and time how long it took me to find them and write notes regarding the find in the field. (I use an Amiga so don't use Windoze apps.)

I put waypoints into the GPS via the palm as the interface is so much faster.

I use QuoVadis mapping software in the car... The CompactFlash card slot of the TRGPro allows extra maps to be stored for various regions I don't normally go.

The TRGPro was about $100 refurbed from Handera w/new screen and uses Palm III accessories (keyboard, GPS cable, etc.)

So, in short, I find it amazingly convenient and useful.

Randy (there's no microsoft under my roof!)

I use my GPSr and my ipaq together, I may also use it for geocaching when I get around to an area that has some. I have tried the geodecoder to uncode the hint. I not sure yet if I will use geoclipping, or just synce the entire page to my unit.

But if I ever do this it may just be for use in the car or on some easier caches (terrain and whether are limiting factor).

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

I carry a PPC. Allot of people use Palm devices.

I don't use Pocket Queries though. I like to save the whole web page. The printer friendly version anyway.

PPCs have plenty of memory for this.

I too use a PPC. Specifically the Dell Axim (just upgraded from an ipaq). The Dell is probably the best bang for buck PDA on the market. A good unit starts at $199 and that unit will kick but on any palm, even the $499 models.

Like leatherman, I just synch entire pages to the PPC with Avantgo.

Even if I don't load the caching pages to my PPC, I still bring it caching. Have all my phone numbers, calander, can make notes and listen to MP3's while I search.

"We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the Borg."

How do you synce with advantago? And what is the advantage of doing that over what I have been doing? Which is going to favorites, then click add, I then select mobile favorite in the list. Then when the promp comes up I just hit make available offline and it synce the data with my ipaq.

Does advantago cheap the data current every time I synce with the computer?

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:
Originally posted by phantom4099:

How do you synce with advantago? And what is the advantage of doing that over what I have been doing? Which is going to favorites,

Go to Avant Go and create a custom channel of the page you want. I set mine to the results page for a search of the caches nearest to my zip code. I set it to go one set of links deep, so I automatically get all the pages. The advantage of this is that I don't have to be at my home PC to sync. I can use my modem to run a modem sych from anywhere and get the most up to date cache info.

"We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the Borg."

quote:
Originally posted by GoldKey:

Go to Avant Go and create a custom channel of the page you want. I set mine to the results page for a search of the caches nearest to my zip code. I set it to go one set of links deep, so I automatically get all the pages

This sounds like the perfect method for me. Is all the cache info easily readable, or might we try to persuade the admins to create a formatted Avantgo channel (in their copious free time, of course.)

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

This sounds like the perfect method for me. Is all the cache info easily readable, or might we

Yes, it is readable. You can even load all the cache pages in print-friendly format to reduce clutter. What I do is create a web page containing links to all the cache pages. Then I use that as the custom channel and sync with Avantgo to a depth of 1.

I have used my Visor for about 2 years, but am just beginning to use it for cache hunting. The pocket query to Mobipocket thing is ok, but I find it a little awkward (probably oe). icon_rolleyes.gif

Can someone out there tell me a better way to download cache pages to my PDA?

Thanks,

Dave

Me ambivalent? Well..... yes and no.

I use my visor pro for both the Pocket Queries and the attachable GPS unit for quick searches. The Pocket Queries work pretty well, but you have to spend some time learning Mobipocket (the reader that reads the file for you.) I leave my file set on the TABLE OF CONTENTS page, which will list the caches in order of proximity to my homebase. The caches are hyperlinked to the more detailed cache page from the TofC page. I actually like these quite a bit. As with other posters, I used to waste paper and found this to be more eco-friendly.

Mapopolis.com is another good resource. This program has GPS enabled maps that will allow you to narrow your search before you get to the cache area.

remybussi.gif By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I. remybussi.gif

quote:

Well, I'm certainly going to try the AvantGo method described above. If you don't have AvantGo, I recommend you try it...it's free and it's a great way to get some timely news and other reading material on your PDA each time you sync...works best if you have a Broadband Internet connection, though.

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by Team Finn:

The pocket query to Mobipocket thing is ok, but I find it a little awkward (probably oe). icon_rolleyes.gif

When we go out caching (which hasn’t been often enough lately), we will only be looking for a few caches, and we know which caches those will be. In this case I have found using geoclipping to grab just the specific caches we want to be much easier than using the pocket query.

http://home.earthlink.net/~whidbeywalk/

quote:
Originally posted by GoldKey:

quote:
Originally posted by phantom4099:

How do you synce with advantago? And what is the advantage of doing that over what I have been doing? Which is going to favorites,

Go to Avant Go and create a custom channel of the page you want. I set mine to the results page for a search of the caches nearest to my zip code. I set it to go one set of links deep, so I automatically get all the pages. The advantage of this is that I don't have to be at my home PC to sync. I can use my modem to run a modem sych from anywhere and get the most up to date cache info.

That and geodecoder (http://ULANOFF.com) makes a pretty cool couple.

update: That link appears to be broken, you can get it for pocketPC here http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1&productId=44997. Palm also has one, you may want to look at the geocaching info data, it may have the link.

Wyatt W.

[This message was edited by phantom4099 on December 19, 2002 at 01:40 PM.]

[This message was edited by phantom4099 on December 19, 2002 at 01:41 PM.]

I have and use 2 Pocket PC units. I usually carry my Compaq Aero with a 32Mb memory card. I have over 400 Geocaching Webpages saved to the memory card and it's only half filled. I just save the webpage from IE and transfer them to the Aero memory.

The Aero is a B&W unit and the MobiPocket Reader with Pocket Queries won't work on it. It displays in gray with a gray background. It's only barely readable with the backlight on.

My Casio EM-500 works great with MobiPocket but it's display is unusuable in daylight. The sun or any direct light washes out the display.(But it looked great in the store!) I use it in the car to play MP3s and Audible talking books.

The Geocoder software only works with Pocket PC with the ARM processor. Both of mine use the older MIPS CPU.

Oh Well! Now how can I convince the wife my techno-toys are obsolete and must be replaced.

Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now!

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I just tried using AvantGo for the geocaching.com search, and I must say it looks dreadful on my Handspring Visor Edge. You have to scroll sideways to read each line because it displays the page wider than the screen. Plus you still have the left side menu taking up space. I think I will stick with geoclipper and Hint Decoder for now, which both work brilliantly for my needs. Good for spur of the moment geocaching. Might try pocket queries when I save up some money.

Dell has entered the PDA market with a very cool 'budget' color Pocket PC

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/products/series_pda_snp.htm

$199 after rebate for this without a synch cradle. It comes with a travel sync cable. You don't really need the cradle. I have a CF reader anyway that I do all my upload/download of web pages and pocket queries on.

If I were working, I'd seriously consider upgrading to this unit. Does anyone have one?

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I just bought a new Sony Clie SL10. This is way cool, man! I did what Whidbey Walk does...use Geoclipping software to download the cache pages to the unit. Awesome!!! No more paper and ink for me. Gonna try this baby out tomorrow. Unit only cost around 130 bucks with tax. I had been looking at the new Pocket PCs but I just can't do that right now financially...any this unit does what I need it to do and text is sharp and clear!

I'm seeing cheaper and cheaper palms out there - which makes it almost reasonable to have another device that could get dropped/lost while caching. I agree with everyone that having the data from the cache pages on the palm is great.

But the most useful information for me on the hunt that I take printed off are the maps - satellite and topo from lostoutdoors.com. Each one of these maps could be roughly 300K if saved as a jpg.

I would think that this would cause a problem of memory limitation. Also - how visible would these image files be on a Palm?

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

I didn't see too much ready information in my quick snoop around...(but I might have missed something). If you go to the home page and clickon the link about charter membership, there is a paragraph describing them and an opportunity to download a sample to view.

Beyond that you would be best off doing a search in the geocaching.com forum on "pocket queries" and reading some of the rather extensive discussions. Earlier posts will probably be more informative.

Don't get even - get odd

I got a Sony Clie SL-10 for Christmas but have not been impressed by the pocket queries when used with Mobipocket viewer. There isn't anyway to change the sort order or delete pages once the query is loaded into the mobipocket viewer. I find it hard to search and view the pages with any precision. I am still new at this and haven't perfected my technique but on the whole, it has been frustrating and unsuccessful. I think I will still carry paper pages but use the appendix and logs feature of the electronic storage as a back up. I do have the decrypt program loaded and find this very useful!

Check out this thread (may need to be a member to view) about a way to view your query on your Palm other than with MobiPocket.

I've dumped eBooks from my queries and as soon as I figure out how to dump MobiPocket, I'm do that as well.

We got a Palm just for caching. We used to print out the pages, but after some spontaneous caching without sheets and guessing what the cache is, we went out and bought one. Didn't hurt that a fellow cacher showed Sissy his Palm, either. icon_wink.gif

Mobi is dreadful. It's hard to search and slow. We now use Plucker. It's a lot faster than Mobi and easier to use. I recommend it for those with a Palm. Plucker doesn't support PPC however. But you can AvantGo the same way, I guess.

CR

72057_2000.gif

I use my PalmVx with Pocket Queries for displaying caches and GeoCaching DB for logging notes, took & left, etc.

My big advice would be to get a good case! The Vx is pretty small and I have a slim line metal case which allows it to ride in my pocket, even with jeans. I am sure it would have been busted months ago.

icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by Glorfindel on January 08, 2003 at 02:44 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by trippy1976:

Dell has entered the PDA market with a very cool 'budget' color Pocket PC ... Does anyone have one?

I just ordered one this morning. I've had a Handspring Visor for about three years and have gotten a lot of use out of it, but I've been on a recent tech upgrade spree and decided I "needed" this new Dell unit. I've been using my PDA for geocaching, though I still carry printed cache pages and maps at the same time. I guess I just like the feel of paper in my hands. icon_rolleyes.gif

Markwell, I have been playing with topos as graphics but still cant bring myself to part with a paper map and compass... I work with computers and electronics all day and just don't trust them - LOL

I use a screenshot of a ExpertGPS map or scanned map, converted to jpg and then thru "PictureGear Pocket" (Not sure what format once its on the Sony Clie)

I store the image on a memory stick. I have not finetuned a "good size" yet.

For streetmap and GPS link I have been using Mapopolis with good results. YMMV

Regards,

T

TomBombadil79

quote:
But the most useful information for me on the hunt that I take printed off are the maps - satellite and topo from lostoutdoors.com. Each one of these maps could be roughly 300K if saved as a jpg.

I would think that this would cause a problem of memory limitation. Also - how visible would these image files be on a Palm?

There are tons of free image viewing applications available for Palm and PocketPC. The images you mentioned from "lostoutdoors" could be saved a gifs or jpegs at around 25k and still be perfectly readable. Granted this takes a little bit of savy and effort to download the image and manipulate.

Here is a list from searching PalmGear for "jpeg".

I have also used AvantGo to view pages with images and it does a great job as well.

Markwell,

The solution to all your problems is this: Don't get a Palm Pilot. icon_smile.gif

Look at the Dell Axims, and also check Ebay for the Casio BE-300. The Casio isn't top of the line, but it's color, does okay in the light, has been rugged for me, has USB synch option, fast processor, decent on board storage (16 MB I think... could be more), AND has a compact flash slot. So... go ahead... put that jpg on there icon_smile.gif I use my BE-300 with a 16MB compact flash and can put practically anything on it as far as web pages and images. Of course, you have to be practical about what you're looking at given the screen size. I'm a big fan of my BE-300 and I see them regularly on Ebay for $50-$100. In my opinion, it's a big bang for its buck and even runs ebooks well. Battery life is good, I use it for an MP3 player as well.

BUT with the new Dell handhelds out at around the $100-$150 brand spankin' new and with a lot more oomf than the BE-300... it's definitely something to look at. It comes with PocketPC 2002 as well I think. That'll make it more compatible with software out there. My BE-300 technically runs WinCE but I have to do a lot of hacking to load things that aren't specifically designed for it.

So there are two units that would fit your needs if you require JPG or GIF viewing in the field.

I think a PocketPC with some kind of expandable media is what you want. $50 on ebay for the BE-300 and $30 on Amazon for a 128 MB card will have you set up with a great caching machine for under $100 and all the storage space you can probably use.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

migo_sig_logo.jpg

While I use it for storing cache information (currently though pocket queries), the most useful thing is the GPS integrated mapping.

Using Delorme XMap and Topo USA 4.0, I can plug in coordinates and see where they are on a map so that I can plan my route accordingly (as we all know, the best route to a geocache is -not- always a straight line).

This is especially useful when I'm doing multicaches that have legs more than walking distance apart from each other.

Scott

32121_600.jpg

Lynchburg, Virginia

quote:
Originally posted by Glorfindel:

I use my PalmVx with Pocket Queries for displaying caches and http://vip.hyperusa.com/~dougs/geocachingdb/geocachingdb.htm for logging notes, took & left, etc.

My big advice would be to get a good case! The Vx is pretty small and I have a slim line metal case which allows it to ride in my pocket, even with jeans. I am sure it would have been busted months ago.

http://www.jcg.com/ftp/pda1.jpg

http://www.jcg.com/ftp/pda2.jpg

I too used to print out pages and pages of caches and have not looked back since using the palm.

A PDA is the perfect device for the perfect Techno-Geek recreational activity! icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by Glorfindel on January 08, 2003 at 02:44 PM.]

icon_eek.gif nice case!

I use Handspring Platinum & Prisim, Wont leave home with out them!

there are some more armor for PDA's Here look under PDA Cases

[This message was edited by DougsBrat on January 09, 2003 at 09:15 PM.]

I bought a cable to attach my i-net ready cell phone to my Handspring Prism. I can call up geocaching.com with phone and peruse the site for local caches. I use a freeware Eudora as the browser and it stores what I look at for a later reading. It has saved the aggavation of going to a recently destroyed cache -- while I was already on the road to it trying for marathon day of caching. When you cannot think ahead, consider calling ahead--to stay ahead. icon_rolleyes.gif

Yikes icon_smile.gif I just get my main pocket query sent every few days and make sure the most recent is on my PDA before I go. Pocket queries rule, have you tried them as an alternative to dialing up with the cell phone? That has to be an awkward way of getting a cache description.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

migo_sig_logo.jpg

FWIW, we have an inhouse application for Palm VIIx called Lo2Go. It basically gives wireless access to GNIS database searches and LostOutdoors aerial and topo maps.

The image quality is so-so on the Palm VIIx, which is 16 levels of gray. But the images look great on new color palms (320x320, 65K colors). As for storage, the aerials don't get much smaller than they are (LostOutdoors already delivers them as JPEG). However, storage isn't the problem that it was. Newers Palms take the same little memory cards as Magellan receivers. PocketPC units generally support compact flash, and many have card slots as well.

All this said, I tried PDA loaded maps once. Then decided it was too much and too fragile outside. I went back to my Silva compass, my eTrex Vista, and printed maps and photos... icon_wink.gif

-jjf