Cache Machine

There are other names for a similar concept. I believe "Wagon Train" is one.

Many people like them because of the social aspect of getting together and going out to find some caches. Some may enjoy the playing the numbers game.

It's very important the organizer of the machine only pick quick, easy caches to maximize the find count. Also, he should be paying attention to the cache owner's wishes and not machine a cache the owner doesn't want them to. Some caches are placed in an area that can only handle very few visits in a short period of time. To improperly machine a cache could very well cause it to be archived because of damage to the placement.

Some folks frown upon machines because they--myself included--believe it cheapens each find. As a cache owner, I want the effort I put into placing the cache to mean something to each visitor--something more than an increment to a find count.

Others believe it is just a cheap way to up your numbers.

However, in areas where the locals have decided that is what they want to do and have placed caches with an eye to be included into a machine then that's the game they are playing and is perfectly acceptable. It take caches placed in fairly durable areas and few tears if the cache has to go away. It's just another aspect of the game that a lot of people enjoy.

My personal preference is a good event where you can sit around and talk or put a face to a handle. Numbers aren't important to everyone and while I do sometimes enjoy good company while caching, I like to keep it a small, intimate group.

With all of that said, if we are able to make GWIII this year, I might go on one just to say I gave one a chance to convert me.

Hope this helps.

It depends on the area as well. Cache dense areas are fun for machines. I did one in Ocala, FL at an event, but personally, I didn't feel it cheapened the find. Rather the opposite in fact. It allowed our whole machine to discuss the merits of each cache together as we moved to the next one. The event host had some very unique hides during the event.

Cache machine, cache run, wagon train, group caching, it's all the same.

Group caching is two or more geocachers together in a close-to home search day.

We tend to use cache run when 2-6 geocachers get in one vehicle and travel to an area away from home for a day of geocaching together.

A wagon-train is two or more carloads of geocachers following a leader, usually someone who owns most of the caches being sought or who lives in a cache-rich area and knows how to get from one to another via the fastest direct route.

A cache machine is usually a numbers run - a group of geocachers deicated to finding as many caches as possible in a set amount of time. A cache machine does nothing but cache for 24-36 hours and can log hundreds of finds in that time.

I do all of the above, and love it!

I am in geocaching for the people - caches mean very little to me...in fact if I never saw another geocache it would be no big loss - it's the geocaching community and fellowship that I love and hope never to lose.

Therfore I rarely hunt caches alone anymore, but join with others at every opportunity and join or lead any wagon train, group caching trip, cache run, cache machine, geocaching event, whatever you call it as long as it involves people!

We do, as others have indicated, tend to avoid geocaches with greater than 1 mile round-trip hike when we are on such trips, and usually avoid virtuals as well, and maybe some puzzle caches, but we do most all others.

I dispute the allegations, however, that we as group cachers, no matter how defined, are a danger or hazzard to any geocache - in a group you'll find that everyone is on their best "geocaching" behavior and, in order to protect one's reputation, we make sure to do it right! Nobody would long last in our community if they were found to be trashing caches or damaging hide locations!

Have fun,

Ed

Group caching is two or more geocachers together in a close-to home search day.

We tend to use cache run when 2-6 geocachers get in one vehicle and travel to an area away from home for a day of geocaching together.

A wagon-train is two or more carloads of geocachers following a leader, usually someone who owns most of the caches being sought or who lives in a cache-rich area and knows how to get from one to another via the fastest direct route.

A cache machine is usually a numbers run - a group of geocachers deicated to finding as many caches as possible in a set amount of time. A cache machine does nothing but cache for 24-36 hours and can log hundreds of finds in that time.

These are pretty good definitions. Of these, I've been on group cache hunts. Often the point is to get a few people together to tackle a particularly tough cache, or a series of caches in an interesting area. The chief focus (at least for the ones I've been on) was social, not numbers.

I dispute the allegations, however, that we as group cachers, no matter how defined, are a danger or hazzard to any geocache - in a group you'll find that everyone is on their best "geocaching" behavior and, in order to protect one's reputation, we make sure to do it right! Nobody would long last in our community if they were found to be trashing caches or damaging hide locations!

I do see where a large group could cause problems. If the cache is in a high visibility area, 20-30 people searching about could easily bring unwanted attention to the cache. Also, I have caches that are in semi-sensitive areas. For these, one or two finders every month is not a problem, but if 30 people show up at the same time, it could be.

I don't think cache machine groups would intentionally cause damage or compromise a cache, but they can simply because they are a large group. So I do see why some owners might not want their cache to be a "cache machine" target.

Edited by briansnat

I seen that too. Neat.

I am considering forming a cache trash group. Anyone want to join in? It will be loads of fun and we don't really care if we get any or not as that will leave more time for the beer. Any cache owner who doesn't want his cache trashed had better state his wishes on his cache listing. Otherwise we will assume that he doesn't care one way or the other.

Any suggestions on the brands of beer that we might want to bring along?

I almost forgot, if anyone happens to see Larry Storch in here over the next few days, let him know that he can join on the condition that he suppiles the pizza.

Email me at: trashyocachehoochiemama@yahoo.com

(4th. edit)... perfection approacheth.

Edited by Team cotati697
Hopefully, this includes respecting the cache owner's wishes of their caches not being machined.

Yes, we, meaning any of the dozens of geocachers I know and cache with, as individuals and in groups love and support this game, all practice CITO to some degree as part of our normal geocaching activities, all own caches which we expect to be treated properly, treat other's caches with that same respect, respect property owner and cache hiders wishes, when known.

We here in the South are a friendly lot, with large, strong associations in each state (Louissianna, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia and Tennessee) that frequently intermingle for events and geocahing. We rarely find, especially in groups, a cache that one of us doesn't know, or know someone who knows, the owner, and therefore are likely to know any special wishes.

So far only one cacher that I am aware of in these states has asked that groups not hunt her caches - so we didn't, instead finding all the others in the area, whereupon she promptly complained that her caches were ignored!

Oh well, can't please everyone! Much like here - I have found hundreds of caches as part of various groups without a single complaint - but post here that we like that style geocaching and their will be a few who practically accuse us of destroying either the game, the caches, the environment or the cachers feelings!

We make it quite clear cache machines to our caches aren't welcome.

Like Brian, we have caches in sensitive areas which can't handle a lot of traffic. Don't worry, I won't be upset if you and your group skip ours.

I notice that's not on your cache pages though. I don't usually check the cache owner's profile before hunting their caches. I don't see how your note can be effective where it's placed.

We make it quite clear cache machines to our caches aren't welcome.

Like Brian, we have caches in sensitive areas which can't handle a lot of traffic.  Don't worry, I won't be upset if you and your group skip ours.

I notice that's not on your cache pages though. I don't usually check the cache owner's profile before hunting their caches. I don't see how your note can be effective where it's placed.

That's true. There haven't been any machines near us so there has been no need to put it on each of the cache pages. I do have a graphic ready to go and will clutter up the cache page if need be.

I've also been told that a responsible machine organizer will check the users profile before adding any of their caches to the list. They also will respect the owner's wishes for removal, as well.

So, when machines come our area, I will let it be known in a more prominent way.

It's very important the organizer of the machine only pick quick, easy caches to maximize the find count.

I've have spent five full days caching either in the Pacific Northwest cache machine events or following the printed routes at a later date. The organizer of these events does not "...only pick quick, easy caches..."

One group of three caches involved driving miles up a steep gravel road, barely accessible by passenger cars for 3 widely spaced caches and great sweeping views of the high desert country. Another leg of that machine included an 80 mile drive down the Columbia river through the beautiful water-cut basalt canyons and then back over the desert hills, all for just 11 caches.

The PNW cache machines include a nice variety of cache types and difficulties, many including long walks to the sites. It is a day of socializing, substantial excercise, an in-depth introduction to new cites, and many great trails and views. It is everything that normal 3 star limit caching is about only you do a lot more of it in a day.

PNW cache machines are not 24 or 36 hour events. They start about an hour before dawn and end around 8 pm with a long lunch break. A dinner meeting the night before and another at day's end provide time to meet people, share the excitement and discuss the results. It is a day of high numbers but it is definately NOT just about the numbers.

To improperly machine a cache could very well cause it to be archived because of damage to the placement.

PNW cache machines happen 4 time per year. I believe the instance of damage to the placement or discovery & mugglement of caches because of these CM's is very low.

The PNW cache machines include a nice variety of cache types and difficulties, many including long walks to the sites.  It is a day of socializing, substantial excercise, an in-depth introduction to new cites, and many great trails and views.  It is everything that normal 3 star limit caching is about only you do a lot more of it in a day.

It's good to know my perceptions of a cache machine have been inaccurate.

Edited by CoyoteRed

In my experience with the PNW Cache Machines, there are few times that large groups hunt the same cache. The first few may see a steady stream, but then it breaks up into smaller groups - 2 or 3 cars. I've been on group hunts where there are more people at the cache.

And NO, it's not always close, easy ones - at the Gig Harbor CM only our group got to one cache, the tide was coming in and the .75 mile hike to the beach & .5 mile hike on the narrow (and getting narrower by the minute) beach kept everyone else away.