Use Of Palm Pilots In Geocashing

huskytown

How are Palm Pilots used in geocaching? I know that they do not act as a GPS but are the caches stored and downloaded onto Palms for easy reference?

If so, here is another question: I have an old Palm IIIxe-does anyone know if I could possibly use my old Palm to d/l caches? Also, that model is not waterproof. Any cases that protect the Palm from the elements that allow you to use them in inclement weather?

Thanks for your help

IMHO the best way to get caches on your palm is with Cachemate. http://www.smittyware.com/palm/cachemate/changes.php

It will cost you $8.00 but it is well worth it.

If you are a premium member you can create a pocket query that includes up to 500 caches closest to you. Using Cachemate converter you can create a database for the palm that Cachemate will open. It is a simple two step process and you will then have everything from the cache page except pictures.

I just dusted off an old Palm Vx and got it set up for Geocaching and I can't imagine Caching without it after just 1 week.

Check out http://65.34.18.106/print.php?content.15 for a great article to get you started.

You will need Cachemate for Palm and GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) but I think the time I spent getting this set up will save me so much time in the field.

kfcthecolonel

Rather than starting ANOTHER thread on PDAs, I had a couple of questions as well.

Specifically, I'm interested in picking up a cheap PDA specifically for cacheing. I've been looking at the Palm IIIxe and the m105 as options. I like the Palm III, but I can't seem to get one for as cheap as I like, but the 8mb storage seems important if I want to store enough caches.

Would the m105 be an acceptable solution?

If I'm not planning on having more than a couple hundred caches stored at any given time, would a 2mb option work? I'm not planning on using it for much more than cacheing, most likely with Cachemate . . .

Specifically, I'm interested in picking up a cheap PDA specifically for cacheing.  I've been looking at the Palm IIIxe and the m105 as options.  I like the Palm III, but I can't seem to get one for as cheap as I like, but the 8mb storage seems important if I want to store enough caches.

I just went paperless a few weeks ago by getting an 8mb Palm IIIxe on eBay for $15.50 plus $5 shipping. Can't get much cheaper than that! It was used but looks brand new, only had a serial cable instead of docking station, but that's OK given the price I paid. I kept bidding on different auctions for a about a week before I got the deal I wanted. Just be patient and be willing to lose a bunch before you win.

I just went paperless a few weeks ago by getting an 8mb Palm IIIxe on eBay for $15.50 plus $5 shipping. Can't get much cheaper than that! It was used but looks brand new, only had a serial cable instead of docking station, but that's OK given the price I paid. I kept bidding on different auctions for a about a week before I got the deal I wanted. Just be patient and be willing to lose a bunch before you win.

That's what I'm going for. I guess I'll just have to keep on it. Everything seems to pass the $20 mark with 2 days left at the moment. Grr.

I use an m130 without a protective case, but I keep it in my pack, in a plastic bag, or inside my raincoat. Since I only need to refer to it occasionally, this level of protection has kept it safe and sound. The GPS, on the other hand, is constantly out in the elements - thank god it's waterproof!

I have to chime in here and say... I love my Treo 650. I wouldnt have paid so much for a phone/palm... but work did.

If you havent looked at the treo, it's a Palm device, and a phone. It also hase an "always on" internet connection if you subscribe to the service. I can log my caches from the cache, in the woods at 140kb/sec. (And being able to VPN/VNC or SSH into my work servers while caching is nice. I'd rather be working and caching than working in the office :rolleyes: )

I just recently started geocaching, but this thing is great.

Get lost or need a topo map? No problem, load up lostoutdoors.com and enter my lat/lon and pull up a map fromt he web.

My palm IS my gps display unit. I use a bluetooth GPS with it (bt 338). I can keep my gps on my belt, it's small and has 15 hours of battery. If I ever upgrade/switch my phone, I can connect the bluetooth gps to any other bluetooth enabled device.

I havent yet bought an Otterbox (waterproof rugged case for the treo) but I have a full covered plastic case which keeps it pretty secure in the woods.

I wouldnt use it with a 5/5 cache, but if I ever did one of those, Id have a sherpa and not a palm...

Only thing I hate about Palm caching/gps software so far, is the lack of ability to open a loc/gpx or have multiple targets shown. CotoGPS and CetusGPS are nice, but you still need to convert a gpx/loc to a pdb.

With internet enabled palms/phones I can easily log onto geocaching.com, download the gpx or loc right to my sd card on my device... but no way to import it. I bypass it by manually entering the lat/long. This is something I would think would be an easy thing to add maybe I will when I get some time.

Not for the typical user... but if any of oyu are a gadget geek, look into it. (And make sure you get the MediaWorks or PDA Data plan Unlimited data/Web)

This is just my opinion, but I used to use a paperless All-in-One solution that I quit to use my eTrex and paper again. When I started caching, I used a Palm OS-based Handspring Visor Neo and the HandyGPS attachment. Using CacheMate to keep track of the cache info and the HandyGPS attachment to navigate, this was a complete all-in-one solution. But it became too much trouble.

Now, I just pick the area that I want to cache and print their cache pages on paper and set out with my trusty Garmin eTrex. No more fumbling with electronic devices that will break on the slightest impact. I think I spent more time trying to protect the electronic eggshell I was carrying around instead of looking for the caches. Also, the battery life on my paper is SO much longer than on my Handspring. :unsure:

IMHO the best way to get caches on your palm is with Cachemate. http://www.smittyware.com/palm/cachemate/changes.php

Using Cachemate converter you can create a database for the palm that Cachemate will open. It is a simple two step process and you will then have everything from the cache page except pictures.

How do I do this? Thanks.

Download Cachemate and install it to your Palm.

Download the .gpx files and use Cachemate Convert, which is on your computer, to create the .pdb files which will be installed to the Palm the next time you HotSync the PDA. Those files will be added to the Cachemate database the next time you run Cachemate on the Palm.

Edited by idiosyncratic
This is just my opinion, but I used to use a paperless All-in-One solution that I quit to use my eTrex and paper again. When I started caching, I used a Palm OS-based Handspring Visor Neo and the HandyGPS attachment. Using CacheMate to keep track of the cache info and the HandyGPS attachment to navigate, this was a complete all-in-one solution. But it became too much trouble.

Now, I just pick the area that I want to cache and print their cache pages on paper and set out with my trusty Garmin eTrex. No more fumbling with electronic devices that will break on the slightest impact. I think I spent more time trying to protect the electronic eggshell I was carrying around instead of looking for the caches. Also, the battery life on my paper is SO much longer than on my Handspring. :unsure:

I can't plan like that . . . I never know where I might end up. ;)

I love having 500+ caches in my inexpensive Palm M500 (in a hard case) and being able to seek any cache, any where, regardless of where I end up during a trip to town to run errands . . .

I am an experienced geocacher but still a newbie in paperless caching.

The question I have deals with downloading new queries into my Palm.

Assuming I already have a query loaded, and I go to load a new one (weekly, new info, new caches, etc) Does the query overwrite what I already have in the PDA ? Does it recognize that the PDA already contains GC1ABC and skip it or will I have to deal with 2 entries of GC1ABC ?

It merges the data, provided you haven't created new folders and put one set of data in a one folder and put the new set of data in a different one.

I have this problem because I have a huge potential area to cache in, with huge numbers of caches in each zip code. I occasionally forget and put a specific PQ in the "Not Found" folder when I actually was supposed to have those files in a different folder. :unsure:

Finally got one in my price range. A full set up for a Palm IIIxe, and it only cost me $13.01 with free shipping. You can't beat that! I can't wait to try it out . . .

:D Okay...I took all of your suggestions and bought a Palm IIIxe this morning off of E-bay. So now it is time for me to put the cart before the horse. I have never used a Palm but I do know my way around computers inside and out. The Palm is coming with the manuals so I will have some reading to do...but I am the type of person (man) that does first and reads later. Now the questions begin:....

Can you load caching programs onto the Palm?

What programs do I need to go paperless?

Can you load mapping programs onto the Palm? Do they have to be a specific type?

Can I download the programs (mapping) from www.palmone.com?

Will my Magellan GPS connect to the Palm? (via serial cable)

Am I asking to many questions?

Thanks for the help.

Palm Newbie

:anibad:

I have a palm for paperless and love it. The first thing you will need is Cachemate, which can be bought online for 8 bucks. Then you will never look at paper again! I also bought mapping software for my palm that works pretty well. Do I use it....no. The gps does all that work for me. MAKE SURE you get a hard case for your palm!!! I have read on here people who have fell on thiers or whatever and broke it.

Have fun!

Edited by ladycacher
I just dusted off an old Palm Vx and got it set up for Geocaching and I can't imagine Caching without it after just 1 week.

Check out http://65.34.18.106/print.php?content.15 for a great article to get you started.

You will need Cachemate for Palm and GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) but I think the time I spent getting this set up will save me so much time in the field.

kfcthecolonel

Cool! I wrote that article, so I highly recommend it :rolleyes: . A Palm IIIxe is what I use and it works great for caching. Even lost it out the door of the Jeep while 4 wheel caching once. About 2 miles later (next cache) I realized it was gone. Backtracked and found it sticking in the mud. Cleaned it off and continued on. CacheMate is great! And a real bargin at $8. You can easily get by using just cachmate convert but GSAK has some real advantages for helping filter and keep stuff organized. Clyde and Smittyware both have excellent customer service and are both well woth supporting.

Hello WaredBear

So what are the differences...pro's vs con's of Cachemate vs GSAK?

Cachemate is a PDA (Program) that converts GPX files to PDA files, so you can view them on you Palm (PDA). It has all of the information on the web site cache page on your palm. (Hints that can be decoded & Etc)

GSAK is a PC Program that manages GPX files on you PC. (Sort view Etc) looks like a excel spreadsheet. You then can filter files to send to you GPS and to Cachemate.

Is a Sony Clie PEG-S360 to old to use for paperless?

Hehe, no not at all. You need Palm OS 3.0 minimum for cachemate and the Sony Clie PEG-S360 has 4.0.

I am using a Handspring Visor for my paperless caching. Works great too.

Edited by mrking
Is a Sony Clie PEG-S360 to old to use for paperless?

Hehe, no not at all. You need Palm OS 3.0 minimum for cachemate and the Sony Clie PEG-S360 has 4.0.

Thanks for the information. The experts on this site are very helpful which makes life much easier for us newbies. :laughing:

Is it rude to add another question along the same line just a little different, Palm vs. Ipaq.  Software for Ipaq?

First post...first PDA and it's a Pocket PC hp iPAQ.

Need help getting started. Downloaded GSAK. Is there

a conversion needed to put the info into an iPAQ?

THANX

:P Well I went south to Georgia and did my first paperless caching. It was great!!! Only thing is you have to remember to take the PDA with you. I forgot..okay didn't take it with me three times and I had to go back to get it. But it was a lifesaver with past logs, hints, descriptions and being able to make notes. I won't go back to paper. :o

But with the iPAQ I have a different operating system and cachemate says

There is currently no port of CacheMate for Pocket PC. If you want something for that platform that is comparable, though, try GPXSonar.

I guess I am really not computer literate enough for this....should have done

the less expensive way mentioned but now I have this nice new expensive

IPAQ 2315 that uses Windows CE 4.21 and that seems to be the problem.

Casas

i have 3 palm III xe's. i am supremely satisfied with cachemate and gsak. cachemate is individually registered on each of my palm pilots. i have one palm IIIxe set up for interet use, one for arts and entertainment, and one solely for geocaching. i prefer the palm pilots because of there being so inexpensive. i purchased mine on ebay for 29.95 postage included.

i stated in an earlier posting that i would much rather lose or have broken a 29.95 palm IIxe than a 399.00 palm tungsten c. for field work you just cant beat the palm IIIxe. also you can download all kinds of applications from www.palmgear.com as well as purchase a dial up modem from ebay for use of the palms on the internet.

regards

archie

ps:

very important...if you get a palm IIIxe from ebay be sure to check for sure on which operating system it uses. most are OS 3.5 to 3.5.3. these are the least expensive BUT i think cachemate requires a minimum of palm OS 4.0 and you may have to purchase the 4.0 upgrade cd (i paod 8.00 postage included and have all of my palms set up on OS 4.0) also the guy who sells the palm IIIxe's for 29.95 postage included DOES NOT include the desk top cradle.

Sounds great. Anybody have any waterproof cases they might recommend?

i got the armor clad case from office depot. it cost 29.95. it seems to be rain proof but im not sure about immersion. the case was kinda expensive but after my palm rolled down a rocky hill in jefferson memorial forrest no harm came to the case or my palm IIIxe.

i also have the type-n-go keyboard case combo. paid 12.00 for it on ebay. i was getting in the car and dropped the case with the palm in it from waist high and niether the case nor the palm or keyboard was damaged. JUST MAKE SURE IF YOU LOOK FOR THIS ONE THE EBAY SEARCH SHOULD BE FOR "type and go for palm pilot."..ive seen them here in the past 2 months for as little as 5.00 excluding postage. there is also available a type-n-go case/keyboard combo for the handspring visor.

regards

archie