Walkers Recommendations

klaus23

Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for caches in Exmoor or the Brecon Beacons? I might go and do one or two on Sunday as I'm in Bristol for a couple of days.

When I say "walkers" recommendations, I must confess that I'll be walking with my girlfriend. It is well known that I would climb or scramble up any mountain, but what I'm looking for is a cache with a good way-marked trail and a gentle or reasonable incline, as she can be rather picky and will give out if it is not to her liking. :lol:

It's very odd... she constantly talks about diets, gyms, dancing videos, etc, but when it actually comes to physical activity in the open air (no sniggering), she seems strangely opposed to it.

Distance in the walk isn't a problem. And if you know of a good (real ale or scrumpy selling) pub nearby, even better.

Of course, if you of a nice walk in the south-west or south Wales please don't be shy. I have had my eye on caches in the Wye Valley (near Tintern Abbey) for some time so if you had those in mind, I'm onto them! :lol:

(edited for spelling)

Edited by klaus23

I highly recommend caching in the Wye valley/Forest of Dean as there are some excellent caches to be found in the area.

Since we were last there (October 2004) some new (puzzle) caches have appeared. None of the ones we did was a strenuous walk and some of the views were excellent over the Severn and Wye valleys, especially from this cache and this cache.

If you do go to this area, I'll be interested to see if you can find this cache without any help! :lol:

Sweet mountain is a nice cache. It's on the Bristol side of the park.

It's on a 'mountain' but a really nice path up, wide open gentle gradient and doesn't look daunting, but great views from the top. We take 11 year olds up every year to give them a sense of achievement as they are city kids and never even seen the top of a mountain before.

Parking at 51°50.639'N, 3°03.779'W is best for the less enthusiatic walkers. You'll ascend about 800' over a 1.5 mile walk.

Close by is The first in Wales which is a slightly harder walk, but we still take 11 year old on that one. Much more challenging cache to find though.

Also nearby is one that I haven't done Skirrid

as it's quite new, but again walked that with the slightly tougher kids. Plenty of others nearby as well.

Grwyne Fawr is a few miles walk along a river valley, good condition paths, mostly level, leading to a very impressive dam at the end. Lovely drive to it as well.

Edited by kbootb

If you don't mind travelling to the other side of the Brecon Beacons Park, Last of the Mohicans is a lovely walk alongside rivers, caves and waterfalls if you park at the recommended car park. The cache is pretty hard to find but the waterfalls are the main event.

Chartist's view is another fairly long but gentle walk with good views (and a trig point along the way to get your numbers up :ph34r: )

Have to agree with kbootb about Grwyn Fawr and although we haven't been caching on the Skirrid, it is another pleasant, easy walk.

Chartist's view is another fairly long but gentle walk with good views (and a trig point along the way to get your numbers up :ph34r: )

I have had my eye on this one too, not just for the interesting history that is associated with the area, but also because I have done all but two of alan g's excellent caches in the greater Bristol area, and he does place some crackers. Unfortunately I have never had the opportunity to meet and thank him, but hopefully that will change in the coming months.

as it's quite new, but again walked that with the slightly tougher kids.

Thank you so much for the recommendations :ph34r: - however, it is this one that caught my eye, if for nothing else than the pub mentioned on the cache page. As you might have guessed from my avatar, I do love old pubs.

Skirrid's quite steep in places, and the bottom of it is woodland, quite a way up before it opens up.

Pen-y-fantastic is a virtual, send your piccies in to get verified. On the way up your should find Tommy Jones which is a real, but often damp, cache. Views are brilliant, path completely obvious but fairly steep. Worth a bit of research on parking... most guides direct you to the Storey Arms car park... calm down... it used to be a pub but no longer :ph34r:

I drive a bit further down the road to another parking spot. Clearly marked on maps. Can't look it up for you at the moment but e-mail if you need it. The start is a bit easier on the legs.

Anyone got any recommendations for Exmoor/Devon? I need to go down to Ilfracombe to look at a boat for my uncle.

I think you need to speak to Stuey as he lives in East Devon and has done most, if not all of the caches in the area. :lol:

I can't... I'm afraid of Ozzy :anibad::ph34r::lol:

Klaus,

If you're celebrating, or feeling fairly well-off (it's not cheap), try the excellent (Italian-influenced) food at The Walnut Tree (Llanddewi Skirrid, half a mile from the parking for Skirrid Fawr). We had a memorable meal there a few years ago - one of the best inn/restaurants in Britain (not too posh either...)!

The Black Mountains are superb walking country - but you need to set up a few caches there as it's full of potential (but only 2 caches!).

HH.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

Klaus,

If you're celebrating, or feeling fairly well-off (it's not cheap), try the excellent (Italian-influenced) food at The Walnut Tree (Llanddewi Skirrid, half a mile from the parking for Skirrid Fawr). We had a memorable meal there a few years ago - one of the best inn/restaurants in Britain (not too posh either...)!

The Black Mountains are superb walking country - but you need to set up a few caches there as it's full of potential (but only 2 caches!).

HH.

It took me a while to find the right website... there are lots of Walnut Tree hotels, inns and pubs. I was looking at this one, not realising it was in Kent, and wondering what Steamed Bacon Pudding had to do with Italy LOL :ph34r:

Anyway, I found the right one - and I'm impressed. I will keep it in mind. It's not extremely steep, I think you could get away with £60 for two people - but if the yellow Ferrari outside the place on the website is anything to go by, perhaps it's not the place to be stingy! :anibad:

Hopefully I'll get up there as much as I can in over the summer, there's nothing like an uncached countryside.

Had a nice day out today - did the Eagle's Nest cache and Last Of The Mohicans (tough nut that).

We wanted to do the Skirrid but the weather turned badly and Mrs Klaus23 didn't have boots or raingear.

We stopped for lunch at the Skirrid Inn... and I broke one of my golden rules - 'interesting history does not make a good pub'. The food was overpriced, the beer and lemonade flat, and the waitress was either very unhappy, or mute, or both. Shame, because it's a lovely building.

But that aside, it really was a great day out. The Brecons reminded me a lot of home. I hope to spend some more time up there over the summer.

Thanks for the recommendations - the Sgwd yr Eira waterfall is one of the most special places I've ever been to. :unsure: