GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

I realize that the answer to my question might already be in this thread, but it would take me hours maybe even days to look for it.

A buddy and me both use GSAK and we like to compare files. When I export my database to a GPX file and send to him, it still shows my finds in yellow.

Is there a way to export and not have the caches tagged as found by me?

Thanks.

I realize that the answer to my question might already be in this thread, but it would take me hours maybe even days to look for it. 

A buddy and me both use GSAK and we like to compare files.  When I export my database to a GPX file and send to him,  it still shows my finds in yellow.

Thanks.

When your buddy loads your GPX file just get him to select the never option under "Found status update options"

For more information please see the help file or online here http://gsak.net/help/hs5190.htm

Edited by ClydeE
how do I copy waypoints from one database to another ? I can copy waypoints to the same database but would like to move/copy them to another .

Just set a filter on the waypoints you want to copy/move then from the main menu select "Database => move/copy waypoints ..."

For more informtion please see the help file or online here http://gsak.net/help/hs38000.htm

Edited by ClydeE

A buddy and me both use GSAK and we like to compare files.  When I export my database to a GPX file and send to him,  it still shows my finds in yellow.

Thanks.

When your buddy loads your GPX file just get him to select the never option under "Found status update options"

For more information please see the help file or online here http://gsak.net/help/hs5190.htm

Hey Thanks Clyde,

You give the best customer support in the entire universe.

I'm using 120 dpi fonts on my laptop (the screen is 1600x1200 pixels, so I have to use large fonts otherwise everything is microscopic). However, GSAK doesn't look right with those fonts

The About box looks like this:

gsakabout.gif

and the program's toolbar isn't very clean either:

gsakbar.gif

I guess the reason is that GSAK assumes that everybody uses the default 96 dpi fonts and it specifies explicit pixel sizes. Just something to fix in a later version.

drop the resolution down to 1280x1024 so you can see it.

My work is with computer support. It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who make the same complaint you do because of having their graphic output set as such a grossly high resolution (just because they can!) that they can't even see what is on their screen without some kind of magnifier.

Change the resolution and you can kill the large fonts and remove all the problems you are having with both Windows displays and software that does not work well with large fonts (which most don't even it they say they 'support" it.

cc\

Edited by CompuCash

My work is with computer support. It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who make the same complaint you do because of having their graphic output set as such a grossly high resolution (just because they can!) that they can't even see what is on their screen without some kind of magnifier.

Change the resolution and you can kill the large fonts and remove all the problems you are having with both Windows displays and software that does not work well with large fonts (which most don't even it they say they 'support" it.

cc\

Like I said, it's a laptop and it's got an LCD screen. Anything but the native resolution looks like carp.

Programs should be intelligent enough to recognize the user's dpi setting and make sure that they appear correctly under any setting.

Some of us don't do it just because we can. At my place we do it because the programs we run for our work (typesetting & graphics design) need to at high resolution with large fonts so we can see what we're doing.

My work is with computer support.  It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who make the same complaint you do because of having their graphic output set as such a grossly high resolution (just because they can!) that they can't even see what is on their screen without some kind of magnifier.

cc\

Like I said, it's a laptop and it's got an LCD screen. Anything but the native resolution looks like carp.

Programs should be intelligent enough to recognize the user's dpi setting and make sure that they appear correctly under any setting.

Bottom line is that GSAK was designed to use the normal font at all resolutions and large fonts are not supported.

I could spend a lot of time programming to cater for this but this would be time I should be spending on updates for a larger audience.

Sorry, can't please all the people all the time. :laughing:

Ok, after reading all the posts about automating GSAK to get PQ's from a POP3 sever, I used an invitation to Gmail so graciously provided by a fellow cacher on this forum. Got my Gmail account set up, my POP3 seems to work, the mail goes into Outlook Express. I set up a temporary database in GSAK to try it out, got 3 PQ's sent to my Gmail account and attempted to get the data. Filled out the info in the Get Mail dialog and hit the Get Mail button. I get "Connecting to POP3 server....", then "Connected OK, getting message header:" then the box "Finished, OK" comes up. Click on OK and there's nothing in the database, nor did the designated folder get the PQ(s) downloaded to it. Having had an AOL email account from the getgo, I'm not all that familiar with the POP3 server, so there must be some setting there that I'm missing. Or possibly in my Gmail setup? HELP!

FWIW, I'm using Mozilla Firefox browser, am able to manually download the Gmail PQ(s) to the designated folder and my settings are the same as shown in the example in the GSAK Help file (tailored to my configuration). I've tried using I.E. 6.0 and get the same results. Also, if I manually download the PQ(s), Get Mail will load them into GSAK.

Another thing I've noticed, I've got the Load Settings box ticked, and when I click on the little down arrow, I don't get my complete database list, only "....Last Active" and 6 databases. Unfortunately, the one I want to use for these PQ's isn't listed. I changed things around a bit to have an empty database to experiment with, so it's not a problem, just an annoyance.

Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated! TIA.

Don

Ok, after reading all the posts about automating GSAK to get PQ's from a POP3 sever, I used an invitation to Gmail so graciously provided by a fellow cacher on this forum. Got my Gmail account set up, my POP3 seems to work, the mail goes into Outlook Express. I set up a temporary database in GSAK to try it out, got 3 PQ's sent to my Gmail account and attempted to get the data. Filled out the info in the Get Mail dialog and hit the Get Mail button. I get "Connecting to POP3 server....", then "Connected OK, getting message header:" then the box "Finished, OK" comes up. Click on OK and there's nothing in the database, nor did the designated folder get the PQ(s) downloaded to it. Having had an AOL email account from the getgo, I'm not all that familiar with the POP3 server, so there must be some setting there that I'm missing. Or possibly in my Gmail setup? HELP!

There are two possible reasons for this:

1. Your matching criteria is not being met. Please check that your matching criteria does in fact match your subject line.

2. The dreaded Gmail quirk. One of the quirks (as mentioned in the help file) of the Gmail pop3 accounts is that if you use any other email client (Outlook express for example) to read the mail first, it is then no longer available to GSAK (or any other client). Normally this only happens if you have set up your pop3 client to delete the mail from the server after downloading, but for some reason Google has decided to operate this way.

Another thing I've noticed, I've got the Load Settings box ticked, and when I click on the little down arrow, I don't get my complete database list, only "....Last Active" and 6 databases. Unfortunately, the one I want to use for these PQ's isn't listed. I changed things around a bit to have an empty database to experiment with, so it's not a problem, just an annoyance.

When you click on the down arrow it only shows you the settings you have created. All this means is that you have not as yet created settings for that database. If you do not need any special settings for that database you don't have create them, just select this database first from the GUI interface or if you are running via a macro be sure to use the DATABASE command to select the correct database before running the GETMAIL command

Edited by ClydeE

ClydeE,

Trying to print a GSAK database from the main screen. I get a message -> "The file does not have a program associated with it for preforming this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel." So how do I do this? I don't know what file I have to make an association for. And I'm just guessing, but I think I have to point it to my printer.

ClydeE,

Trying to print a GSAK database from the main screen. I get a message -> "The file does not have a program associated with it  for preforming this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel." So how do I do this? I don't know what file I have to make an association for. And I'm just guessing, but I think I have to point it to my printer.

You need to associate the "print" action for HTM files with your default browser.

However, the easiest way to get around this just to click on the preview button first. This should then show the print out in your default browser (a good idea to look at it first anyway because there may be something you want to change). Now you can just print from your browser by clicking on the print tool button, or File=>Print from the browser menu.

Edited by ClydeE
My work is with computer support.  It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who make the same complaint you do because of having their graphic output set as such a grossly high resolution (just because they can!) that they can't even see what is on their screen without some kind of magnifier.

Some of us don't do it just because we can. At my place we do it because the programs we run for our work (typesetting & graphics design) need to at high resolution with large fonts so we can see what we're doing.

but are you trying to run GSAK on your typesetter?

cc\

ClydeE

2. The dreaded Gmail quirk. One of the quirks (as mentioned in the help file) of the Gmail pop3 accounts is that if you use any other email client (Outlook express for example) to read the mail first, it is then no longer available to GSAK (or any other client). Normally this only happens if you have set up your pop3 client to delete the mail from the server after downloading, but for some reason Google has decided to operate this way

This sounds like what's happening. The mail does in fact go into Outlook Express, so I believe you've come up with the answer to the problem.

When you click on the down arrow it only shows you the settings you have created. All this means is that you have not as yet created settings for that database. If you do not need any special settings for that database you don't have create them, just select this database first from the GUI interface or if you are running via a macro be sure to use the DATABASE command to select the correct database before running the GETMAIL command

OK, you've got me on the right path. Thanks, Clyde, I really appreciate the help and the work & effort you've put into this fantastic tool. Definitely the Swiss Army Knife of Geocaching!

Don

cc\

I have a Dell Latitude D600 laptop with an LCD with a native resolution of 1400x1050. I can drop it down to 1024x768 or even 800x600 and everything is still quite readable. It may not be as "pretty" as at 1400x1050, but it doesn't look "like carp". :lol:

The question is: do you want functionality or eye candy? If you want functionality (readability), cc gave you the solution. If you want everything to look "pretty", buy a $20 Microsoft product that does everything GSAK does (oh wait, that's right - there isn't one - at ANY price). :D

:D Oh, come now:

1) right click on the desktop, choose "Properties", then "Settings", move the screen resolution slider. Click on "Appearance" and choose "normal" font size. Click "Apply".

2) Run GSAK.

3) When finished with GSAK, repeat step one, and do your typesetting and graphic design.

It's just that easy! :(

PS - You don't need super high resolution for most typesetting & graphic design - many people don't understand that super high resolution is only necessary (useful) on a very large screen, at which point you won't need to use large fonts!

Edited by Kai Team

cc\

I have a Dell Latitude D600 laptop with an LCD with a native resolution of 1400x1050. I can drop it down to 1024x768 or even 800x600 and everything is still quite readable. It may not be as "pretty" as at 1400x1050, but it doesn't look "like carp". :lol:

The question is: do you want functionality or eye candy? If you want functionality (readability), cc gave you the solution. If you want everything to look "pretty", buy a $20 Microsoft product that does everything GSAK does (oh wait, that's right - there isn't one - at ANY price). :D

:D Oh, come on now:

1) right click on the desktop, choose "Settings", move the screen resolution slider and click "Apply".

2) Run GSAK.

3) When finished with GSAK, repeat step one, and do your typesetting and graphic design.

It's just that easy! :(

PS - You don't need super high resolution for most typesetting & graphic design - many people don't understand that super high resolution is only necessary (useful) on a very large screen, at which point you won't need to use large fonts!

THANK YOU!

I didn't go into all that earlier because he was already locked into what he

wanted - >> THE LATEST AND GREATEST! << because they can.

But like I asked - as I don't believe it - is he running GSAK on a Typesetter? Somehow I just doubt it.

Most people just don't understand the relationship between screen size and useful resolution.

On a side note, most people don't understand that the eye can't see 7.6 Million colors (32 bit color setting) and that it doubles the needed CPU and display resources to use that setting. In layman's terms that means it takes twice as long to generate the display and slows down a whole lot of programs. I get a lot of complaints from my customers about sluggish systems when they decide to set 32 bit color (because they can and we support it) but decide to make that setting against the manual's recommendations - because they can.

cc\

Edited by CompuCash
I have a Dell Latitude D600 laptop with an LCD with a native resolution of 1400x1050. I can drop it down to 1024x768 or even 800x600 and everything is still quite readable. It may not be as "pretty" as at 1400x1050, but it doesn't look "like carp". 

Yes, 1400x1050 is a relatively new resolution. I am glad to see it. Not a lot of graphics chips/drivers are using it yet. There was a large jump from 1280 to 1600. It gives a nice middle ground between 1280 and 1600, that give you the increased real estate with the ability to see it too.

OP was correct that native resolution is the best. The reason is that any other resolution must be 'scaled' into that resolution which can cause artifacts and loss of clarity. But as you pointed out they are usually not fishy (carp). And as you so nicely pointed out - functionality trumps 'pretty' any day.

cc\

Edited by CompuCash

I have a Dell Latitude D600 laptop with an LCD with a native resolution of 1400x1050.  I can drop it down to 1024x768 or even 800x600 and everything is still quite readable.  It may not be as "pretty" as at 1400x1050, but it doesn't look "like carp".  :lol: 

Well, on my laptop it does. Why should I look at a fuzzy screen?

The question is:  do you want functionality or eye candy?

I want software that is well designed and well written and works as expected with any DPI setting. Programs that fail to do this go to the trash can. Most professionally written programs are DPI-aware and work fine. It's usually the poorly written freeware and shareware that doesn't display correctly. My solution is to get rid of those programs.

I know the problem very well. I myself developed a program for Windows to save geocache data (loaded from a GPX file) in a specific mapping software's file format. I developed the program on a desktop having a 1024x768 screen and 96 dpi fonts, and it looked absolutely great. Then when I tested it on my laptop with different settings, nothing looked right. So I included a part that read the user's DPI setting from the registry and rescaled all graphical elements using that number. It was not such a big deal to fix it. Now my program displays correctly under all resolutions and DPI settings. And that's how all programs should work, it is a basic design principle. The better GUI toolkits actually do all this scaling automatically and always produce a good-looking layout. It's only when you use some poorer development solution when you have to enter explicit pixel sizes and then take care of the rescaling yourself.

Anyway, it is a moot point because Clyde apparently doesn't want to fix his program. I can still use GSAK even though it doesn't appear quite correctly, but I will check out other solutions (Spinner, Watcher), too. Actually I don't need most of the functionality of GSAK, so a simpler program will do.

AS77

I want software that is well designed and well written and works as expected with any DPI setting.

You are confusing DPI with resolution.

DPI is a PRINTER setting. Screens use resolution. You are talking apples and oranges. Displays are constrained by their pixel dot pitch that is set when the display is manufactured. Printers can change the number of dots they print per inch because the content is written with a laser.

Anyway, it is a moot point because Clyde apparently doesn't want to fix his program. I can still use GSAK even though it doesn't appear quite correctly, but I will check out other solutions (Spinner, Watcher), too. Actually I don't need most of the functionality of GSAK, so a simpler program will do.

sounds like a plan - or you could write your own application to display at any DPI you want.

edited to add -

DPI (dots per inch) is probably the most familiar and most misused measure of resolution.  It is not the resolution of scanned images. It is not the resolution of images on screen. It is the measure of how many dots of ink or toner a printer can place within an inch.

Edited by CompuCash
You are confusing DPI with resolution.

DPI is a PRINTER setting. Screens use resolution. You are talking apples and oranges. Displays are constrained by their pixel dot pitch that is set when the display is manufactured. Printers can change the number of dots they print per inch because the content is written with a laser.

Well, since you mentioned that your work was with computer support, you better check this out because what you said is not quite correct. On Windows, go to Display Properties, Settings, Advanced, General. On XP, you'll find the following text there:

"Display

If your screen resolution makes screen items too small to view comfortably, you can increase the DPI to compensate. To change font sizes only, click Cancel and go to the Appearance tab.

DPI setting:

(here there is a dropdown menu with these items:)

Normal size (96 DPI)

Large size (120 DPI)

Custom setting..."

Ideally you want a 12-point font to be the same size on your screen as a 12-point font would be in print. For this, you should set the DPI setting in Windows to the same value as your physical screen DPI. To do this, calculate the number of pixels in the diagonal of your screen and divide it by the physical screen size.

E.g. for a 15-inch screen with 1600x1200 resolution, the screen diagonal is 2000 pixels, and 2000/15=133.33. Therefore, your ideal screen DPI setting is 133. That's what you should set in Display Properties.

OK, this is the first protracted off-topic battle I've seen in the GSAK thread and I'm sorry to say I contributed to it.

Those of us who do use the full functionality of GSAK are a little touchy when someone comes along and criticizes Clyde E for being unprofessional and GSAK for being poorly written. Bottom line is: if you don't like GSAK, don't use it.

I'd like to encourage us all (myself included) to get back "on topic", which is GSAK, not the fine points of screen resolution, dpi, etc. Truce? :lol:

I'm not sure if this is a GSAK problem, or a problem with the .gpx map tool at Keen People, but I found 17 caches the other day. I marked them with a User Flag, then moved them to my "Found" database.

I've never used, or really understood, the User Flags and this is the first time I've ever used them.

Anyway, I exported that file and used it to try to create the map. All those caches were left off the map. I removed the User Flag, and even deleted those caches from the database and reloaded them from a new Pocket Query, but for some strange reason I cannot get those caches to show up on the map like here:

SanDiegoFinds1.gif

I emailed someone at that site, but so far I haven't gotten a reply.

Has anyone else used this map tool? Did the User Flags in GSAK do something to the information in those caches?

Any ideas?

I'm not sure if this is a GSAK problem, or a problem with the .gpx map tool at Keen People, but I found 17 caches the other day. I marked them with a User Flag, then moved them to my "Found" database.

I've never used, or really understood, the User Flags and this is the first time I've ever used them.

Anyway, I exported that file and used it to try to create the map. All those caches were left off the map. Any ideas?

I've never used the KeenPeople mapping software, but the user flags in GSAK shouldn't have anything to do with the missing caches. User flags mark caches within GSAK - they aren't exported in a GPX file.

Start troubleshooting by opening the GPX file you created in a text editor (like Notepad) and search for the missing caches (in Notepad, go to Edit>Find and enter the GC code). If the caches exist in the GPX file, then the problem is downstream - either KeenPeople doesn't accept the GPX format exported by GSAK, or there's a problem with their software.

If the caches DON'T exist in the GPX file, then you haven't exported them from GSAK as you thought you did. The general rule of thumb with GSAK is that what you see is what you get. So, you need to have the caches you want to export displayed in GSAK (i.e. be in the correct database, and have those caches, and only those caches, visible in the grid view). It you select the 17 caches with user flags, then create a filter for user flag set, then go to File>Export>GPX\Loc file and name the file, they should show up in the resulting GPX file.

Thanks . . . I've gotta run now, but I'll play with this over the next day or so to see if I can troubleshoot it.

Up until now, all the maps I've created have been very accurate and the "User Flag" variable was the only thing that was different this time.

So . . . Just had to ask.

Thanks for the advice.

If this is an existing map and the 17 caches were just the latest modification to update it, the hang-up may not be anything you can control. In my experience, Tiger maps can take a good while, sometimes over 24 hours to display changes made to the text file the map references. One way around this that has seemed to work for me is to change the data file name. I don't know why this makes a difference, but it has for me.

I have a Dell Latitude D600 laptop with an LCD with a native resolution of 1400x1050.  I can drop it down to 1024x768 or even 800x600 and everything is still quite readable.  It may not be as "pretty" as at 1400x1050, but it doesn't look "like carp".  :ph34r: 

Well, on my laptop it does. Why should I look at a fuzzy screen?

The question is:  do you want functionality or eye candy?

I want software that is well designed and well written and works as expected with any DPI setting. Programs that fail to do this go to the trash can. Most professionally written programs are DPI-aware and work fine. It's usually the poorly written freeware and shareware that doesn't display correctly. My solution is to get rid of those programs.

I know the problem very well. I myself developed a program for Windows to save geocache data (loaded from a GPX file) in a specific mapping software's file format. I developed the program on a desktop having a 1024x768 screen and 96 dpi fonts, and it looked absolutely great. Then when I tested it on my laptop with different settings, nothing looked right. So I included a part that read the user's DPI setting from the registry and rescaled all graphical elements using that number. It was not such a big deal to fix it. Now my program displays correctly under all resolutions and DPI settings. And that's how all programs should work, it is a basic design principle. The better GUI toolkits actually do all this scaling automatically and always produce a good-looking layout. It's only when you use some poorer development solution when you have to enter explicit pixel sizes and then take care of the rescaling yourself.

To say I don't want to "fix" the program is a little unfair. I regard this as a "feature" that is not available. I could also argue the other way that why do some manufactures of these devices offer lower screen resolutions if they don't display correctly at them. To my line of thinking, it is "they" that need fixing.

However, this doesn't mean I don't see your point. I will add this to "the list", but I do ask that you see my point. My point being that GSAK now has over 75 dialogs and this change would certainly be non trivial. I accept the partial reason for this may well be my development environment but hey, no environment is perfect and jumping horses now would mean no new development on GSAK for quite some time. Life is full of compromises B)

Such a "feature" would be a time consuming effort and I currently just don't have enough users wanting this feature to warrant allocation of such time. Basically it would mean pandering to a select few to the cost of many - I can't justify it. This may well change later down the track, but I am telling it as I see it now.

So the net result is "yes" I will add this feature eventually, however I think it is obvious it won't be tomorrow :D

Help to indentify "orphaned" records in GSAK

I've run into something with GSAK recently that feels like a simple problem, but perhaps I've gotten too nearsighted, as I haven't found a solution jumping out at me in GSAK. I paged through the recent GSAK threads, but didn't see this touched on. Sorry if it's been answered before - this is a humongous thread! :-)

There's a cache near me that was recently archived, but in GSAK it shows as active. In this thread I confirmed what seems like the source of the problem: the Pocket Query I use that contains this cache no longer contains this cache, since it's been archived. The default behavior of GSAK is to not touch that record any longer.

In the particular case, the GSAK database is comprised solely of the data points included in this Pocket Query. Is it possible to set up something so that, when a GPX file is imported, all waypoints NOT included in the GPX file are either flagged or deleted?

Thanks,

..Chris..

P.S. this does not have ANYTHING to do with resolution :D

Edited by GibsonCRG
In the particular case, the GSAK database is comprised solely of the data points included in this Pocket Query. Is it possible to set up something so that, when a GPX file is imported, all waypoints NOT included in the GPX file are either flagged or deleted?

Here's my solution. I assume you have a particular PQ that runs periodically to keep a certain databse up to date.

I have a filter which duplicates the the PQ. Each time the PQ is imported, I edit the filter to change [On or before][Last Update GPX] to the day before the PQ was run. Now this filter returns only newly archived caches, which I update manually by downloading each gpx from the cache page. What I really do is slightly more involved, since my database requires ten PQ's spread out over the week, but the idea is the same. (There are nearly five thousand active caches within a one hundred mile radius of my center point.)

I suspect it might eventually be possible to do all this in a macro. I can even envision writing a bot to go out and download the offending caches automatically, but this is getting dangerously close to the the realm of fantasy.

I've run into something with GSAK recently that feels like a simple problem, but perhaps I've gotten too nearsighted, as I haven't found a solution jumping out at me in GSAK. I paged through the recent GSAK threads, but didn't see this touched on. Sorry if it's been answered before - this is a humongous thread! :-)

There's a cache near me that was recently archived, but in GSAK it shows as active. In this thread I confirmed what seems like the source of the problem: the Pocket Query I use that contains this cache no longer contains this cache, since it's been archived. The default behavior of GSAK is to not touch that record any longer.

Thanks,

..Chris..

P.S. this does not have ANYTHING to do with resolution :D

My solution to this is to have a saved filter called 'To be archived?'.

On the general tab for 'Available Status' I select 'Available'.

Then, on the 'dates' tab I select 'Last Update GPX Not during the last x days' change x to suit the frequency of your own PQ/s.

When I run this filter I then use the 'Online waypoint URL' to go direct to the caches listed. If they have been archived I download the gpx file direct from the cache page, then load the resultant gpx files into GSAK.

HTH

Howdy Clyde.

Just curious if there is a reason why cachemate doesn't change caches into "temp unavailable" anymore. I seem to remember it would do this to make them unavailable, and then again when they became available. I am noticing I have to manually go through and set the cache status myself. Is this a problem with GC.com and the GPX files or something else?

Thx

S

Just curious if there is a reason why cachemate doesn't change caches into "temp unavailable" anymore.

Not sure if you meant to say "Cachemate", but if you did, that thread is here. GSAK still changes caches to "temporarily unavailable". If you meant to say GSAK, give us a little more detail and we'll try to help!

Thanks,

..Chris..

P.S. this does not have ANYTHING to do with resolution  :D

If you really want waypoints in your database deleted (not recommended because you loose your accumulated log history) that are not in the incomming GPX file then just select the "clear database before loading" when you do the load.

If you really just want to see the "orphaned" records then on the load select the "set user flag" and "and ONLY update user flag if matched" and "clear all user flags first". After the load just set a fitler on "user flag = Not set" and this will give you a list of caches that were NOT in the GPX file.

For more information on work arounds for this problem please see http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=1096907

Edited by ClydeE
Just curious if there is a reason why cachemate doesn't change caches into "temp unavailable" anymore.

Not sure if you meant to say "Cachemate", but if you did, that thread is here. GSAK still changes caches to "temporarily unavailable". If you meant to say GSAK, give us a little more detail and we'll try to help!

I meant GSAK... Long day of work...

I don't know what more details I can give you. GSAK isn't changing caches to "temp unavailable". I have had to manually change their status and I am wondering why that is.

Thanks,

..Chris..

If you really want waypoints in your database deleted (not recommended because you loose your accumulated log history) that are not in the incomming GPX file then just select the "clear database before loading" when you do the load.

If you really just want to see the "orphaned" records then on the load select the "set user flag" and "and ONLY update user flag if matched" and "clear all user flags first". After the load just set a fitler on "user flag = Not set" and this will give you a list of caches that were NOT in the GPX file.

For more information on work arounds for this problem please see http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=1096907

I have the Streetpilot 2620. While I had no success importing waypoints directly to the GPS. I did figure out a workaround to get caches on my SP2620. **If you have Mapsource**

Select the caches you want on your SP and export a file as a "Mapsource" .MPS file.

Open up your MS program and load your exported file.

Plug in your GPS and send only the waypoints to your GPS.

Works like a charm.

However, you still need the MS product.

S

I meant GSAK... Long day of work...

I don't know what more details I can give you. GSAK isn't changing caches to "temp unavailable". I have had to manually change their status and I am wondering why that is.

GSAK will only change caches to "temp unavialable" if the GPX file you are loading contains that information for that cache.

Are you sure the caches in question are in fact in the GPX file you are loading. (open the GPX file in a text editor and do a search )

Other reasons caches may not be updated:

1. You have "locked" the cache

2. Your load dialog has the setting "and ONLY update user flag if matched"

Thanks,

..Chris..

I have the Streetpilot 2620. While I had no success importing waypoints directly to the GPS. I did figure out a workaround to get caches on my SP2620. **If you have Mapsource**

Select the caches you want on your SP and export a file as a "Mapsource" .MPS file.

Open up your MS program and load your exported file.

Plug in your GPS and send only the waypoints to your GPS.

Works like a charm.

However, you still need the MS product.

S

I had a feeling that would work. I have been waiting very impatiently for my new 2620 while it was on backorder. I just wanted to have my ducks in a row when it arrives TOMORROW. We made a couple of runs with mountain_wanderer at GW3 using his in a rental van and it sure made things run smoothly. After that I HAD to have one. Thanks very much to you and to Robert for the replies.

Howdy ClydE, thanks for replying. I just checked on my settings and found that the caches have not been locked on my end, and also "and ONLY update user flag if matched" is not checked.

The caches in question that I am manually switching must be in the GPX file because the GPX date is today.

S

GSAK will only change caches to "temp unavialable" if the GPX file you are loading contains that information for that cache.

Are you sure the caches in question are in fact in the GPX file you are loading. (open the GPX file in a text editor and do a search )

Other reasons caches may not be updated:

1. You have "locked" the cache

2. Your load dialog has the setting "and ONLY update user flag if matched"

The caches in question that I am manually switching must be in the GPX file because the GPX date is today.

S

Sorry, but that is by no means proof they are in fact in the file. Your GPX file date being today has no bearing what so ever on what is in the file. Your selection crieria when you created/changed your PQ governs what is generated in your GPX file.

Try this quick test:

1. Create a new database

2. Load the GPX file into the new database

Are the caches in question in the new database?

Do they show as "temp unavailable" ?

If you still believe there is a problem then please email me the GPX file together with a list of caches you say are in the GPX file and are not showing as "temp unavailable"

Edited by ClydeE

I installed GSAK version 5.5.1 on a desktop and laptop and neither one works. It keeps saying *NOT RESPONDING* on the window header. The desktop is 2.8ghz P4, with XP Pro SP1, the laptop is 3.0ghz P4 with SP2 installed (it is actually a fresh install I just did).

So how come I can't get GSAK to run on either box?

thanks

Edited by ScreenRage
I installed GSAK version 5.5.1 on a desktop and laptop and neither one works. It keeps saying *NOT RESPONDING* on the window header. The desktop is 2.8ghz P4, with XP Pro SP1, the laptop is 3.0ghz P4 with SP2 installed (it is actually a fresh install I just did).

So how come I can't get GSAK to run on either box?

I have just about tracked all these type of problems down to virus scanners software running.

The fix is to disable the GSAK installation folder from real time protection in your scanning software

Please also see http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=1389954 and

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=1297746

ClydeE,

Thanks for the super fast response. I was able to exclude the GSAK folder from being checked by Norton and it worked! for the first time I was able to import my LOC file!

Now I need to figure out all these cool features in GSAK.

thanks again,

ScreenRage <_<