GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Hey Clyde. I am about to Format my computer, but before I do I am going through my documents to make sure I have everything (Registration Codes, E-mails, Etc.). I cannot find the registration email you sent me for GSAK. Could you provide me with it again so I can have it registered when I re-install it?

Thanks

Shifty

Hello Clyde,

I'm looking a GSAK, and trying scenarios with it. I've noticed or haven't found yet, a note/memo field for a waypoint.

What would be a good way to enter notes in a waypoint? For example for a multi-cache, I'd like to keep in my notes the interim waypoints or the interim calculations to arrive to the final coord for a mystery or puzzle cache, or the final coords without changing the initial coords.

Thanks for the ideas or way to do this.

TravelBen

I've noticed or haven't found yet, a note/memo field for a waypoint.

What would be a good way to enter notes in a waypoint? For example for a multi-cache, I'd like to keep in my notes the interim waypoints or the interim calculations to arrive to the final coord for a mystery or puzzle cache, or the final coords without changing the initial coords.

You can also go to the view menu, add/delete columns, and check the box for "note" column. This will add this column to your current view. Drag the column to where you want it to appear in the grid. Double click that column on the line that the waypoint you want to add a note to is on.

The top half of the note is for your own (internal) use, the bottom half is for "semi-automatic logging". If you've found the cache, or want to record a DNF or note online, type in the message in the lower half and click on "log cache" to be taken directly to the log page for that cache.

Select the type of log from the online drop down (found, DNF, note, etc), place your cursor in the space where you'd write your log, and right-click, paste. Voila - what you wrote in GSAK is pasted into the online log (and also saved in GSAK).

Hey Clyde. I am about to Format my computer, but before I do I am going through my documents to make sure I have everything (Registration Codes, E-mails, Etc.). I cannot find the registration email you sent me for GSAK. Could you provide me with it again so I can have it registered when I re-install it?

Don't forget, if you have lost or forgotton your serial number it can be retrieved from http://gsak.net/lost.php

I created three bookmark files of the caches I have found. My idea is to generate a USA map showing those cache locations. I saved the three LOC files to my computer and used GSAK to create a database with all of the caches. Problem is GSAK only loaded 149 out of 225 caches. It loaded 55 out of 100 on the first, 70/100 on the second and 24/25 on the third. Why is GSAK not loading all of the waypoints? Is the problem in the database? Are only 149 of the 225 being created into the LOC file? How can I tell? Any help is appreciated.

I created three bookmark files of the caches I have found. My idea is to generate a USA map showing those cache locations. I saved the three LOC files to my computer and used GSAK to create a database with all of the caches. Problem is GSAK only loaded 149 out of 225 caches. It loaded 55 out of 100 on the first, 70/100 on the second and 24/25 on the third. Why is GSAK not loading all of the waypoints? Is the problem in the database? Are only 149 of the 225 being created into the LOC file? How can I tell? Any help is appreciated.

Archived caches are not included in these lists.

If that does still not account for the difference please email me these files directly and I will interrogate.

I'm looking at GSAK, and trying scenarios with it. I've noticed or haven't found yet, a note/memo field for a waypoint.

What would be a good way to enter notes in a waypoint?

TravelBen

Ibycus already told you the "right click" thing to add a note, but if you use notes as much as I do, go in the "view" menu and add the note column to the columns you are viewing. Then you can double-click that empty spot for a certain cache and the note/log window will pop right up for you.

Happy Trails!

That might be the problem (without going back and looking at 225 cache pages) I looked at the bookmark of 25 and 1 is archived. Is there a way to bring archived caches over? Am I missing a check box or filter somewhere?

Thanks

Geocaching.com does not allow you to include archived caches in it's pocket queries (for premium members) or bookmark lists. The only way to get them into the GSAK database is to go to each individual cache page and download the loc file (if you know the gc.com waypoint codes, you can go to the cache pages, even if they're archived). Save all the loc files in a single windows folder - GSAK can import them all in one operation (File>Load, check "Load a Folder of Files").

In the future, track your finds in GSAK and write your logs in the user notes, using the semi automatic logging feature to log them online. That way you always have a record of your finds in GSAK, even if the caches are later archived at gc.com!

Geocaching.com does not allow you to include archived caches in it's pocket queries (for premium members) or bookmark lists. 

I will have to disagree with your "or bookmark list" statement. I did create three bookmark lists that includes all 225 of my finds. I am guessing that 76 are now archieved and that is the reason they won't load into GSAK. Thanks for the idea on loading them manually and how to use GSAK for my logs. I will have to give that a try.

Washington Red Bear

...download the loc file...

Just to be nit-picky, shouldn't this be a GPX file, not a LOC file?

AFAIK, Kai Team is right in so much as gc.com not including archived caches in pocket queries of any kind. I haven't really played much with bookmark lists, but I imagine there is a similar restriction (i.e. the actual data isn't being downloaded, so GSAK has nothing to load). I you want to check this, you can always open up your GPX file in a text editor, and run a search for a cache name that is missing from your database.

I haven't really played much with bookmark lists, but I imagine there is a similar restriction (i.e. the actual data isn't being downloaded, so GSAK has nothing to load).

Yes, that's true.

That's actually how I identified caches that I'd put in bookmark lists that were now archived.

(Download .loc file of complete bookmark list. Load file to GSAK with the "update check marks only" [not the actual settings, but I'm away from my computer], and then filter for check marks, sort alpha and compare the two lists.)

Until Jeremy puts these in red (like on watchlists), that's how I keep my lists "clean".

(Disclaimer: I did not read this entire thread, but I did search it.)

When (re)loading a directory of queries, I've noticed that the totals aren't updating correctly and/or the filter is (?)/is not being applied. It's not *all* the time, just sometimes - say 40% of the time? It's hard to reproduce, but here's an example.

- Filter set to None.

- I have "Notfound" database loaded. I get a new query, and place it in two directories - "notfound" and "all".

- I reload "Notfound" database with "notfound" directory. (Always update selected) Totals all good. I doubleclick "notfound" totals, filter set, total correct.

- I switch to "All" database, filter resets to NONE.

- Reload "All" database with "all" directory (always update selected).

- Everything loads, *but* totals bar shown are for Notfound - filter bar shows "NONE".

- Reslecting "NONE" resets totals bar to show all caches.

Sorry, this is hard to describe, and as I said, it doesn't *always* happen, just sometimes. I notice it more often when I get a number of new queries in for different databases and I jump around between them. Usually on reload the filter resets to "NONE", but it doesn't appear to be completely resetting to "NONE."

This is on 5.5.1 Build 21.

After a recent hard drive failure, I fitted a new hard drive and installed Win XP Pro on it. I spent a few days installing programs and backups and all was fine.

Then I installed GSAK. At the next startup, windows gave me a black screen for some 40 seconds, after the initial Win XP screen and before the Welcome screen. During that time there was very little hard drive activity. I uninstalled GSAK but the problem remained.

I couldn't find an answer, and eventually I started all over again. I reformatted the drive, reinstalled Win XP and installed the programs I'd installed before GSAK the first time. For a few days all was fine. Then I reinstalled GSAK and the 40 second delay on startup came straight back. I've now uninstalled GSAK but I'm still left with the 40 second delay.

Any ideas? I'm reluctant to continue installing further programs whilst I know there's some underlying problem, and I don't really want to have to reformat and start yet again! And I do want to continue to use GSAK.

I installed from GSAK550B10.exe.

I just downloaded the gsak program and was excited about using it. When I tried to export it to mapsource a window popped up titled exception log and it said (List index out of bounds (0)" I then had to go through several steps to exit out of there and it even wanted to access my email files for some reason. I've tried this several times and get the same issue every time. What am I doing wrong? :)

all41 I have exactly the same problem on my desktop, both for MapSource and download to GPSr cause this fault, however on my laptop works fine.

I can't figure it out (eg both XP Pro with all security updates, same AV and Firewall software). I let the error report be emailed but haven't heard anything yet.

I just downloaded the gsak program and was excited about using it.  When I tried to export it to mapsource a window popped up titled exception log and it said (List index out of bounds (0)" I then had to go through several steps to exit out of there and it even wanted to access my email files for some reason.  I've tried this several times and get the same issue every time.  What am I doing wrong? :P

Yep, this one is a known problem when you update to 5.5.1 from a version which is several releases old. It is fixed in 5.6 (out soon) but have sent you a PM with a quick fix for it right now. (ditto for Rimosky)

Edited by ClydeE
After a recent hard drive failure, I fitted a new hard drive and installed Win XP Pro on it.  I spent a few days installing programs and backups and all was fine.

Then I installed GSAK.  At the next startup, windows gave me a black screen for some 40 seconds, after the initial Win XP screen and before the Welcome screen.  During that time there was very little hard drive activity.  I uninstalled GSAK but the problem remained.

I couldn't find an answer, and eventually I started all over again.  I reformatted the drive, reinstalled Win XP and installed the programs I'd installed before GSAK the first time.  For a few days all was fine.  Then I reinstalled GSAK and the 40 second delay on startup came straight back.  I've now uninstalled GSAK but I'm still left with the 40 second delay.

Any ideas?  I'm reluctant to continue installing further programs whilst I know there's some underlying problem, and I don't really want to have to reformat and start yet again!  And I do want to continue to use GSAK.

I installed from GSAK550B10.exe.

Installing GSAK does not put any files or code in your system start up so it can't be GSAK that is causing this.

The only thing I can think of is virus scanning software. There have been some rare cases of virsus scanning software having a problem with the comressed gsak.exe file. If you can get into safe mode, I would try disabling your virus scanning software altogether and then see if your system boots normally. If that works, then add the GSAK install folder to your virus scanners ignore/exception list.

Edited by ClydeE

When (re)loading a directory of queries, I've noticed that the totals aren't updating correctly and/or the filter is (?)/is not being applied. It's not *all* the time, just sometimes - say 40% of the time? It's hard to reproduce, but here's an example.

- Filter set to None.

- I have "Notfound" database loaded. I get a new query, and place it in two directories - "notfound" and "all".

- I reload "Notfound" database with "notfound" directory. (Always update selected) Totals all good. I doubleclick "notfound" totals, filter set, total correct.

- I switch to "All" database, filter resets to NONE.

- Reload "All" database with "all" directory (always update selected).

- Everything loads, *but* totals bar shown are for Notfound - filter bar shows "NONE".

- Reslecting "NONE" resets totals bar to show all caches.

Sorry, this is hard to describe, and as I said, it doesn't *always* happen, just sometimes. I notice it more often when I get a number of new queries in for different databases and I jump around between them. Usually on reload the filter resets to "NONE", but it doesn't appear to be completely resetting to "NONE."

This is on 5.5.1 Build 21.

Hmm, there must be something more in the mix here. No matter how many times I try this scenario the totals are always correct.

If any one can reproduce this problem consistently please let me know the steps involved.

ClydeE,

I was wondering if I could hook up 2 different GPS's to my system and still be able to download to both of them with the GSAK software? I have not looked up on this forum before asking this question. Thanks in advance.

I do just that with THREE different GPS - 2 Garmins and 1 Magellan

you just have to set up the upload files -

cc\

When (re)loading a directory of queries, I've noticed that the totals aren't updating correctly and/or the filter is (?)/is not being applied.  It's not *all* the time, just sometimes - say 40% of the time?  It's hard to reproduce, but here's an example.

(snip)

Hmm, there must be something more in the mix here. No matter how many times I try this scenario the totals are always correct.

If any one can reproduce this problem consistently please let me know the steps involved.

Clyde, I just reproduced it - twice - and documented it with screenshots. Sending you a zipfile with commentary.

Edit: I can reliably reproduce it. Screenshot zipfile and steps/commentary sent; ~ 2MB worth, small as I could get it.

Edited by Cymbaline

Hello Clyde:

The column 'lg' aka Last Four Logs is always grayed out for all four log indicators. How is this column supposed to work and why are they grayed? Also the 'Last Log' column is blank.

Thank you. :P

Edited by Team cotati697
Hello Clyde:

The column 'lg' aka Last Four Logs is always grayed out for all four log indicators. How is this column supposed to work and why are they grayed? Also the 'Last Log' column is blank.

Thank you.  :P

It should indicate the status of last four logs, green on founds and red on NF.

So if the last four logs on your database on that particular cache are all founds you should see four green squares.

If there are less than four logs the colour is grey.

Check that your database contains the log information e.g using the split screen option.

LOC files do not contain this info, make sure you have used the GPX format when imported the data.

Edited by Erwast

I have a macro to generate cache lists for importing to MSST. I would like the macro to create a "NEW!" cache list by selecting caches who are less than a week old. Manually, I set the Placed Date to a week ago. How can I do this programmatically in a macro? i.e.,

$_DATE_PLACED = IncDay(TODAY(), -7)

Generally speaking, are Filter variables programmable? It would be nice to be able to do something like

CANCELFILTER

Filter Name="Unfound Traditional"

IF $_FILTERCOUNT > 0

Export Type=SNT File="C:\GPS\traditional.csv"

ENDIF

$_TYPE_TRADITIONAL = 0

$_TYPE_MULTI = 1

IF $_FILTERCOUNT > 0

Export Type=SNT File="C:\GPS\multi.csv"

ENDIF

$_TYPE_MULTI = 0

$_TYPE_LETTERBOX = 1

IF $_FILTERCOUNT > 0

Export Type=SNT File="C:\GPS\letter.csv"

ENDIF

etc etc

Also, let me voice my support for a "Final Status" dialog for when you get your data via email versus loading files. It would be nice if the same options were available too (set User Flag if updated, etc).

Thanks!

Dave

Great program...totally love it!

I have a cheap old Palm running CacheMate. No maps on either my GPS (Garmin 72) or on my Palm.

I know I can add user notes manually to my GSAK caches with the nearest cross-streets - no problem. What I really want to do is then export those into Cachemate...preferablly in the Log section.

In looking at the Export to Cachemate options, the only place to add smart tags is for the name.

As powerful a program as this is, there's probably an easy way to do this that I'm overlooking.

Thanks!

Matt

Great program...totally love it!

I have a cheap old Palm running CacheMate.  No maps on either my GPS (Garmin 72) or on my Palm.

I know I can add user notes manually to my GSAK caches with the nearest cross-streets - no problem.  What I really want to do is then export those into Cachemate...preferablly in the Log section.

In looking at the Export to Cachemate options, the only place to add smart tags is for the name.

As powerful a program as this is, there's probably an easy way to do this that I'm overlooking.

Thanks!

Matt

Matt,

The user notes in GSAK will do this for you. When you enter something in the user note for a waypoint (either pane) and then save the note, GSAK adds the note to the logs for that cache (it will be the newest log and the header will be "[date] by GSAK".

If you then export to Cachemate (with the logs, of course) you can access your note under "Past Logs" in Cachemate. Edit: at the bottom of the PDB export dialog in GSAK, under "CacheLogs", make sure you're exporting at least one log (I usually set this to 10) and check "Always include my logs"!

Edited by Kai Team
I have a macro to generate cache lists for importing to MSST. I would like the macro to create a "NEW!" cache list by selecting caches who are less than a week old. Manually, I set the Placed Date to a week ago. How can I do this programmatically in a macro? i.e.,

You just need to use the "during" option for the filter then save the filter. The during option allows for relative dates rather than absolute dates.

That is, you should set up the filter you want to use with all the settings you want then save with a meaningful name. Now just use that filter in your macro by calling it by name.

Hi All, I have followed the macro setup by CraigGiven to create pushpins in MSNT. When I run the macro in Gsac, I get the following near the end:

ERROR

CURRENT MACRO C:\GPS\GSAKmacros\Pushpins.txt

ERROR IN MACRO AT LINE:111

EXPORT TYPE=SNT SETTINGS=PUSHPINS FILE=C:\GPS\PUSHPINS\TERRACACHES.CSV

ERROR=>SETTINGS NOT FOUND:PUSHPINS

MACRO WILL NOW ABORT

Any ideas how to fix, this is my first try at filters & macros. :huh:

This is a general GSAK question for both Clydee and the community who loves GSAK...

A lot of geocaches have more than one coordinate listed - often for parking spots, trail heads, multicache parts, or other interesting points. Usually it is hidden in the description or clue. I'd love for those to be automatically sent to my GPS along with all my geocaches - just so I don't have to re-enter all those coordinates by hand.

Well, I wanted to see if it could be done, so I went ahead and programmed a prototype that scanned a GPX file and these detected coordinates, and identifies a useful note and icon for each clue if at all possible. Just to see if it could be done. It turns out can, and with pretty good accuracy, too.

Below is some sample output from the program:

SYMBOL  NOTE                                            COORDINATE
======= =============================================== =====================
X       PASS SCENIC VIEWPOINT                           N42 01.977 W72 25.711
X       WHITE PLASTIC TAG                               N42 16.310 W71 21.818
X       DISC - PLACED                                   N42 16.310 W71 21.808
CAR     PARKING                                         N42 17.142 W71 21.228
CAR     PARKING                                         N42 41.543 W72 59.078
CAR     PARKING                                         N42 22.290 W71 17.610
CAR     PARKING                                         N42 01.325 W71 46.160
CAR     PARKING                                         N42 11.082 W71 26.399
PATH    TRAIL                                           N42 29.146 W71 16.654
PATH    TRAIL                                           N42 24.030 W71 08.698
X       YOU CAN PARK                                    N42 20.500 W72 53.750
CAR     PARKING                                         N42 04.181 W72 33.670
CAR     PARKING                                         N42 29.475 W72 58.236
X       CAN BE LOCATED                                  N41 57.918 W72 07.173
PATH    ENTRANCE                                        N42 39.402 W71 10.236
PATH    TRAILHEAD                                       N42 39.410 W71 10.229
CAR     PARKING                                         N42 17.634 W71 19.273
X       FORGET                                          N42 31.532 W71 10.622
CAR     PARKING                                         N41 59.117 W71 47.351
PATH    TRAIL                                           N42 00.529 W71 47.129
CAR     PARKING                                         N42 32.005 W71 09.570
CAR     PARKING                                         N42 38.824 W71 09.067
CAR     PARKING                                         N42 06.000 W72 41.211
CAR     PARKING                                         N42 18.210 W72 55.250
PATH    ENTRANCE                                        N42 36.617 W71 08.704
CAR     PARKING                                         N42 07.683 W72 44.713
CAR     PARKING                                         N41 57.693 W72 24.514
CAR     PARKING                                         N42 30.360 W71 09.566
X       OLD RAILROAD TRESTLE                            N42 27.556 W71 06.270
PATH    TRAIL                                           N42 27.580 W71 06.454
X       BEAR HILL TOWER                                 N42 27.942 W71 06.433
X       OLD FIRE STATION                                N42 27.864 W71 07.190
X       ADD THAT NUMBER                                 N42 23.445 W71 07.073
PATH    ENTRANCE                                        N42 00.469 W72 40.573
CAR     PARKING                                         N41 52.097 W72 03.015
X       THERE'S MICRO                                   N42 38.159 W71 19.040
X       PRESENT HOME                                    N42 38.709 W71 18.623
PATH    ENTRANCE                                        N42 17.634 W71 08.739
X       FOOT) OR                                        N42 17.701 W71 08.593
CAR     PARKING                                         N42 04.282 W71 22.622
CAR     PARKING                                         N42 04.512 W72 49.552
CAR     PARKING                                         N41 59.250 W72 36.332
CAR     PARKING                                         N41 55.929 W72 37.600
CAR     PARKING                                         N42 01.525 W71 24.333

Right now, it just outputs this to the console, but it could be adapted to do something else, or work directly with GSAK.

So, my two questions are:

(1) For the community: is this a feature that you'd like to see, and would find useful?

(2) For Clydee: I'd be happy to donate my code, or to port it to another language that I know (it's currently in PHP, but I know about a dozen languages I could do it in), if you could integrate it into GSAK. Any chance of that happening?

Edited by psyci
This is a general GSAK question for both Clydee and the community who loves GSAK...

A lot of geocaches have more than one coordinate listed - often for parking spots, trail heads, multicache parts, or other interesting points.  Usually it is hidden in the description or clue.  I'd love for those to be automatically sent to my GPS along with all my geocaches - just so I don't have to re-enter all those coordinates by hand.

Well, I wanted to see if it could be done, so I went ahead and programmed a prototype that scanned a GPX file and these detected coordinates, and identifies a useful note and icon for each clue if at all possible.  Just to see if it could be done.  It turns out can, and with pretty good accuracy, too.

So, my two questions are:

(1) For the community:  is this a feature that you'd like to see, and would find useful?

(2) For Clydee:  I'd be happy to donate my code, or to port it to another language that I know (it's currently in PHP, but I know about a dozen languages I could do it in), if you could integrate it into GSAK.  Any chance of that happening?

This has actually come up before and it is on "my list" of things to do. Mind you, if you have a port of the code in Pascal, I would be interested to take a look.

However, as there is currently quite a good work around the priority has slipped down a way.

For those not already aware just add the following customized URL to GSAK (Tools=>Options=>HTML):

Co-Ord Grabber=http://boulter.com/gps/grabber/grabcoords.php?url=www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=%code

Now right mouse click on a cache and select "Co-Ord Grabber". The resulting page will now let you download the coordinates to a LOC file that can then be loaded into GSAK

Edited by ClydeE
Hi All, I have followed the macro setup by CraigGiven to create pushpins in MSNT. When I run the macro in Gsac, I get the following near the end:

ERROR

MACRO WILL NOW ABORT

I do not use this macro so I can't 100% speak for Craig.

However, I can tell you that the error is because you do not have a S&T saved setting called "PUSHPINS"

Your are trying to run the macro command EXPORT using Settings="PUSHPINS" but the setting named "PUSHPINS" does not exists. What you need to do is go into the the S&T export and save settings under the name of "PUSHPINS". I would be very surprised if Craig has not made mention of this either in the macro or the preamble to using this macro together with his utility.

Hi,

I'm using GSAK ver 5.5.1. What I would like to do is identify new caches when I load my weekly updated pocket query (.gpx file) with the flag option. Is there a setting that allows the new caches to be "flagged" as opposed having all updated caches bing flagged? I feel as though I am missing a simple checkbox or something.

Thanks for the input,

Joe B.

sorry for the double post - I meant to post in the GSAK area not the general area

ERROR

MACRO WILL NOW ABORT

I do not use this macro so I can't 100% speak for Craig.

However, I can tell you that the error is because you do not have a S&T saved setting called "PUSHPINS"

Your are trying to run the macro command EXPORT using Settings="PUSHPINS" but the setting named "PUSHPINS" does not exists. What you need to do is go into the the S&T export and save settings under the name of "PUSHPINS". I would be very surprised if Craig has not made mention of this either in the macro or the preamble to using this macro together with his utility.

What he said.

You can fix it a couple of ways

1. Take out all the SETTINGS=PUSHPINS entries in the macro

2. Create a settings named PUSHPINS (see JUN 8th entry of THIS THREAD for step-by-step instructions).

Hi,

I'm using GSAK ver 5.5.1. What I would like to do is identify new caches when I load my weekly updated pocket query (.gpx file) with the flag option. Is there a setting that allows the new caches to be "flagged" as opposed having all updated caches bing flagged? I feel as though I am missing a simple checkbox or something.

Thanks for the input,

Joe B.

sorry for the double post - I meant to post in the GSAK area not the general area

There are a couple of ways you can achieve the result you want.

Perhaps the easiest way is to just set a filter on "Date Created" = current date. That is, when ever you load a GPX file and new caches are added, GSAK allocates a created date equal to the current date.

However, if you really want to use the user flag option you can do it this way:

1. First load your GPX file, but make sure you select the "database update options" of "existing only" (this firstly makes sure all existing waypoints are updated, but no new caches are added).

2. Now load the same GPX file, but make sure you select the "database update options" of "Add only" (also tick the "set user flag" and "clear all user flags first")

Now step 2 will only add new caches and these caches will have the user flag set.

For those not already aware just add the following customized URL to GSAK (Tools=>Options=>HTML):

Co-Ord Grabber=http://boulter.com/gps/grabber/grabcoords.php?url=www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=%code

Now right mouse click on a cache and select "Co-Ord Grabber". The resulting page will now let you download the coordinates to a LOC file that can then be loaded into GSAK

Well this looks just dandy, but does it work? I keep getting a message of "0 coordinate sets grabbed."

Even the examples at the boulter.com web site fail.

I suspect that this program may be persona non grata at gc.com.

Well this looks just dandy, but does it work? I keep getting a message of "0 coordinate sets grabbed."

Even the examples at the boulter.com web site fail.

I suspect that this program may be persona non grata at gc.com.

Yup, it's stopped working for me too - shame - :P

I'm just now starting to play with changing the "waypoint name" that GSAK will use to output to the GPSr or in the *.gpx file. I want something like %drop2%"-"%dif1%ter1 with the %"-" a delimiter that I want to insert for readability. The resulting waypoint name is (the first two chars drop) (difficulty) (terrain) as ABCD12 were I want it like ABCD-12.

Is this possible?

Thanks

I'm just now starting to play with changing the "waypoint name" that GSAK will use to output to the GPSr or in the *.gpx file.  I want something like %drop2%"-"%dif1%ter1 with the %"-" a delimiter that I want to insert for readability.  The resulting waypoint name is (the first two chars drop) (difficulty) (terrain) as ABCD12 were I want it like ABCD-12.

Is this possible?

Thanks

You can use a space as a delimiter by inserting it before the % in the tag, for example (for a cache in a regular container with a difficulty of 1 and a terrain of 1):

%drop2 %con1%dif=1%ter=1 will appear as ABCD R11, or

%drop2 %con1 %dif=1 %ter=1 will appear as ABCD R 1 1.

Each space requires a character in the waypoint name, so you have to check how long the waypoint name can be in your GPSr or your use for the GPX file. The first example above requires an 8 character waypoint name, the second example requires a 10 character waypoint name.

You also have to set the waypoint name "maximum characters" in GSAK to match the length of the string you plan to export in the relevant dialogs (e.g. "Send Waypoint to GPS" dialog and "Export to GPX/Loc File" dialog). If the "maximum characters" is set too low, GSAK will truncate the name to match your maximum character setting for that function and you'll lose some information.

FYI, I use the first example in my eTrex Vista and find it very readable, and it gives a lot of information in the waypoint name. :laughing: I use the same setup for exporting to MapSource and NG Topo so that the references are consistent when I move from one to another! And I use "%drop2 %con1" for exporting to Cachemate, since Cachemate automatically shows the difficulty and terrain.

Edited by Kai Team
The resulting waypoint name is (the first two chars drop) (difficulty) (terrain) as ABCD12 were I want it like ABCD-12.

I'm guessing you have a GPS that doesn't really support dashes in waypointt names.

My prediction is you have a Garmin. The pertinent part of Garmin's protocol spec is quoted here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=0entry917246

If you have a Magellan (which supports punctuation, spaces, lower case letters, and such without crashing) and the dash is being eaten, please provide more details.