GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Also I'd suggest you enjoy this precious little steak one nibble at a time - and don't try to eat the whole thing in one bite. (pardon the food metaphor) There really is a lot to this program. I have grown with it as it grew over the last year so some of the new stuff came along in little nibbles and it wasn't so daunting. As I can imagine it might be.

But as someone above said nicely (RTFM -- read the free manual). Surprisingly Clyde has put a lot of work into his help system. (Surprising for the industry not Clyde). Let me be one of the proponents here as I use it all the time. He has a lot more on his web site and if you use the blue question mark icon you get an image on which you can click to t get help for specific areas. His dialog specific help is just as good. So use that help button when you get stuck in a dialog and are not sure what to do. I'm not afraid to admit I do. It works.

I'm a computer professional who does tech support - no one can know it all.

Probably the most complicated is the filter. You just have to play with it to get used to how to use it - yes the help is good, but this one takes some playing.

If you are familiar with databases in general the main screen should not be a surprise - and you can sort on any one of the columns.

But - also - don't be afraid to ask questions - there are several here that know a whole lot more than I do - we'll just switch up and double team you - HA!

cc\

Edited by CompuCash

So here's something small but annoying. Recently, whenever I go to open a .gpx file, the Load GPX/LOC File window does not go to the correct folder. Now it goes to my C:\ folder and has "Documents" in for the file name. This used to work correctly, but now it doesn't. Every time I load a file I have to redirect it through a few folders to get it to the correct one.

The most recent path seems correct, it says "File=228574.zip Path C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Waypoints" which is the correct path. That does match where my waypoints are stored. And even if it didn't, wouldn't it correct itself after I loaded a waypoint?

Like I said, not a big deal and easy to redirect, but it's cumbersome when I'm loading alot of files and I don't know why it doesn't work now.

MacFarlane

So here's something small but annoying. Recently, whenever I go to open a .gpx file, the Load GPX/LOC File window does not go to the correct folder. Now it goes to my C:\ folder and has "Documents" in for the file name. This used to work correctly, but now it doesn't. Every time I load a file I have to redirect it through a few folders to get it to the correct one.

The most recent path seems correct, it says "File=228574.zip Path C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Waypoints" which is the correct path. That does match where my waypoints are stored. And even if it didn't, wouldn't it correct itself after I loaded a waypoint?

Like I said, not a big deal and easy to redirect, but it's cumbersome when I'm loading alot of files and I don't know why it doesn't work now.

MacFarlane

Thanks.

This will be fixed in the next release.

Any chance BACKUP/RESTORE will be made available in the macro language?

Any chance the Macro-folder wil be included in Backup/Restore?

Reason for asking is simplifying using more than one computer.

Backup to networked disk and restore again on the other.

hbrx.

hbrx.

The grand plan is to eventually include all menu options as macro commands.

It already is

hbrx.

It already is

nice job! Clyde - and mighty fast of you too !!

cc\

No. GSAK uses GPSBabel "under the hood" to download the waypoints from your GPSr. To my knowlege there is no command GPSBabel (or any other software)  can issue to the GPSR to either show the progress or know what the total number of waypoints coming down the line. This is also the same reason why you can't download a

The various Garmin mutants do tell me how many waypoints are going to come my way. I don't feel like unpacking my hardware right now to prove it, but there is code in garmin.c that looks pretty convincing that I've at least thought about this before. The same technique you use to get status bars on write should work on read, Clyde. The Magellan stuff looks like it's going to give you count that increase over time, but always 100%

If you're not convinced those work or work sensibly, Clyde, let me know and I'll make them work the best we can with what we have to work with...

It already is

Great. Or overwhelming one might say.

And the Macro folder, lazy me dident check...but as

always, Clyde is one (or several) steps ahead of the rest of us.

hbrx.

I finally got the .gpx to load and thusly played aroud with the GSAK program - it looks very good Clyde. I decided to go ahead and register and support your efforts.

one question.. is the registration good on multiple machines? I move between 3 computers , a laptop, and 2 desktops so I'd like to have them on all 3.

I'm sure those answers are in the forum somewhere or in the FAQs (someone burn me!! :( )but I'm tired and its been a long week... ;)

newbie with this software. My Garmin quest has categories to put my waypoints into. When putting caches into the quest with this software everything goes into unlisted. I would like to be able to choose a categorie to put the caches into, ie caches so they are seperate from everything else on my garmin. Is there a way to do this?

I decided to go ahead and register and support your efforts. 

one question.. is the registration good on multiple machines?  I move between 3 computers , a laptop, and 2 desktops so I'd like to have them on all 3. 

The GSAK registration is for the user, not the computer. As a registered user, you can use GSAK on any computer. See this post from Clyde for further explanation.

Welcome to the ranks of registered GSAK users! :(

PS - You can use GSAK's backup and restore functions to synchronize between different PCs. Go to File>Backup and tell it the path and name of the file you want to create and what to include (usually check everything, including "Save GSAK settings" at the bottom). Then copy the backup file you just created to the other computer and go to File>Restore and select the file. Voila - the world is in perfect harmony (at least this little corner of it).

Edits: typo & PS

Edited by Kai Team
newbie with this software. My Garmin quest has categories to put my waypoints into. When putting caches into the quest with this software everything goes into unlisted. I would like to be able to choose a categorie to put the caches into, ie caches so they are seperate from everything else on my garmin. Is there a way to do this?

If you want to separate the waypoints in GSAK into different downloads for different categories, you can do this with either filters or user flags. In GSAK, click on the Search Menu, then Filter and choose how you want to distinguish this category.

However, it sounds like your question has more to do with the Quest than with GSAK - i.e. how to make the Quest store an incoming download in a specific category. If that's the question, I'd suggest posting in the general "GPS Units and Software" forum (vs. this GSAK specific thread) and emailing Garmin tech support to see if it can be done!

suddenly last week I can;t get new caches to show up

I have loaded new pocket queries, and also downloaded new individual caches....it will show Total Waypoints Processed: 1, ...Added: 0, ... Updated: 0, and then the new cache is not showing.

I made a .gpx file of all my data, then uninstalled GSAK, reinstalled....still not updating new data.

(yes, I have the latest version)

I burned my latest downloaded queries to a cd, and ran them on my laptop, and the GSAK shows them perfectly on there.

Edited by GixxerUT
suddenly last week I can;t get new caches to show up

Look at the File>Load GPX/LOC dialog box, under "Data Based Update Options", to see if you've checked "Existing Only". If so, change this to "Always" and see what happens.

that did it

thank you very much

I wonder why it would have changed, though

that did it

thank you very much

I wonder why it would have changed, though

Glad I could help.

From time to time I've changed a setting in GSAK and then forgotten that I did. It's usually when I'm checking out features by doing a "what if", or when I'm doing a one-time import or export and forget that those settings are "sticky" (if you change them, they will stick). :D

I really love the new "get data via email" feature.

I just miss the report at the end that tells me how many caches have been processed, updated and added.

Is there a way to still get the report when getting the data via email?

I just miss the report at the end that tells me how many caches have been processed, updated and added.

You still get the report if you run the update outside a macro.

Running any commands inside a macro causes all message boxes to be suppressed so the macro can continue.

Has anyone used the new "semi-automatic logging" feature to log caches for more than one member of the family?

I'm currently doing this without a macro, since I'm usually doing just a couple at a time, but I'm wondering about getting the logs to the right place, with the right finder associated. Since GSAK reconizes me ("dad") as the registered owner and that's who stays logged in to gc.com, other than logging my son into gc.com, what changes do I need to make in GSAK to have him recognized as another unique logger?

Bumping this to the end of the thread now that Clyde is back.

Has anyone used the new "semi-automatic logging" feature to log caches for more than one member of the family?

I'm currently doing this without a macro, since I'm usually doing just a couple at a time, but I'm wondering about getting the logs to the right place, with the right finder associated.  Since GSAK reconizes me ("dad") as the registered owner and that's who stays logged in to gc.com, other than logging my son into gc.com, what changes do I need to make in GSAK to have him recognized as another unique logger?

Bumping this to the end of the thread now that Clyde is back.

The log id associated with a log will be that of the person logged into gc.com when the log is made.

It is this log id that finds its way into the GPX file and hence GSAK.

If you are using the automatic logging feature of GSAK then you must first make sure you are logged into gc.com under the correct account - there is no command in GSAK that can do this, you must do it manually.

Running any commands inside a macro causes all message boxes to be suppressed so the macro can continue.

I don't use a macro, I use the "get data via email" option from the drop down menu.

The message I get is " Finished OK"

I don't use a macro, I use the "get data via email" option from the drop down menu.

The message I get is " Finished OK"

The Getmail dialog has the option to load the files after download. If you select this option GSAK actually updates your files using a macro - hence no message.

I will see what i can do for a work around, but currently the only way to get the summary would be to "unselect" that option, then do the load via File=>Open

I decided to go ahead and register and support your efforts. 

one question.. is the registration good on multiple machines?  I move between 3 computers , a laptop, and 2 desktops so I'd like to have them on all 3. 

The GSAK registration is for the user, not the computer. As a registered user, you can use GSAK on any computer. See this post from Clyde for further explanation.

Welcome to the ranks of registered GSAK users! <_<

PS - You can use GSAK's backup and restore functions to synchronize between different PCs. Go to File>Backup and tell it the path and name of the file you want to create and what to include (usually check everything, including "Save GSAK settings" at the bottom). Then copy the backup file you just created to the other computer and go to File>Restore and select the file. Voila - the world is in perfect harmony (at least this little corner of it).

Edits: typo & PS

Thanks for the help!! :lol: I love forums!! :lol:

I just figured out how to do the export from the .gpx file of all the caches to my Microsoft Streets and Trips. I had been doing it manually for a few weeks, and couldn't get it just the way I wanted. I used the export feature on GSAK and it did everything for me!! Then, since it was a Dataset Group, I could batch change all the icons. then, set the balloon info to include all of the GSAK info, and BAM! One sweet program! :huh::D:D

All this for only $20.00?? And this is only the beginning!! :D

Sweet............

I'm in need of the help of a power user here. I have a file, that contains boundaries of Provincial Park land within Alberta. The file has about 1300 polygons in it. What I would like to do is one of the following:

1. Filter out caches that fall within any one of the polygons

2. Create a report as to how many caches in each of the polygons

Alberta Parks are trying to figure out the extent to which geocaching is taking place within the provincial parks, and I offered to help them out.

(the file with the polygons in it is an ESRI Shape file)

Hello Clyde

I just tried this again and I didn't get the summary message at the end. I don't use a macro only the button in the tool bar. I thought about to ask the same question like DeViDe, but he was quicker.

Chris

edit: 2 minutes later

I oversaw that you answered this.

Edited by bassoonde

I've just run into a peculiar bug in Export to MS S&T It happens on only one particular cache: GCH2VM - Freedom Walk.

In the resulting tab delimited CSV file the Latitude is 0.000000 and the Longitude is the actual Latitude: 46.715900. Other items are also missing from the CSV, like dif/ter and the Url. The original gpx file seems normal and all the data displays correctly in GSAK.

I've tried it as part of an export of several caches and as just the one cache.

Can anyone replicate this result? I'm quite sure Centralia WA is not in the Indian Ocean. :)

Question: :) Once the database is loaded and the way I like it, is there a batch command to update the "last found date" and the last 4 logs colors? I'd like to keep my database intact, but updated. I'll be adding new caches every week from various PQs but would like to keep this same data.

Does this make sense? :)

Question: :) Once the database is loaded and the way I like it, is there a batch command to update the "last found date" and the last 4 logs colors? I'd like to keep my database intact, but updated. I'll be adding new caches every week from various PQs but would like to keep this same data.

Does this make sense? :)

The last found date and last 4 log colours will automatically be updated when you load your next GPX file (Loc files do not contains this information so it must be a GPX file if you want this information updated)

I've just run into a peculiar bug in Export to MS S&T It happens on only one particular cache: GCH2VM - Freedom Walk.

In the resulting tab delimited CSV file the Latitude is 0.000000 and the Longitude is the actual Latitude: 46.715900. Other items are also missing from the CSV, like dif/ter and the Url. The original gpx file seems normal and all the data displays correctly in GSAK.

I've tried it as part of an export of several caches and as just the one cache.

Can anyone replicate this result? I'm quite sure Centralia WA is not in the Indian Ocean. :)

I don't know why Groundspeak allow it, but that particular cache ("Freedom walk") actually has the tab character embedded in the name.

As the MS S&T fromat uses tabs to separate fields, it is playing havoc in the conversion process.

In the next release I will strip out tab characters from the description so this can't happen.

But that doesn't help you now, so to currently fix this cache up:

1. Download the single GPX file

2. Edit the file in your favourite text editior making sure to convert all tabs to spaces

3. Save the file

4. Re load the file into GSAK (select the "always" update option)

Edited by ClydeE

I am beginning to realize the power of the permanent delete list to help me clean up (and keep clean) my databases!! I went to my PD list to look for a cache I wanted to take out, and my PD file was VERY LONG and not in waypoint number order or in alpha by cache name order. Here's what I did, with the hope that it will help some other poor soul who is just trying to get their databases into some semblance of order.

First I decided I couldn't screw it up TOO badly, because I just did a backup! :) So I looked in the data folder for the database in question, and saw that the delete list is a text file. I observed (using notepad) that the waypoint number and cache name are only separated by a space. I opened the file using MS Excel and reordered it by waypoint, then saved it. It now comes up in waypoint order when I look at it in the database. I'm assuming new additions will be appended and that I'll have to go back and re-order it again once in a while.

Now, I want my permanent delete file in my "not found" database to include all my found caches so they won't reload. Is the best way to use my found database, or "fresh" found pocket queries, or both?

Clyde, you know, don't you, that when you plan a vacation trip to the USA, you will have built-in tour guides, maybe even places to stay, all over the place in the form of happy customers, right??? :)

I'm in need of the help of a power user here. I have a file, that contains boundaries of Provincial Park land within Alberta. The file has about 1300 polygons in it. What I would like to do is one of the following:

To my knowledge, you're in the land of custom tweaked tools to do it. GPSBabel has a sketched in ESRI reader, but it's crude and typically requires source mods. You'll also need something modified to looip over each of the 1300 polygons.

Send offers of bribes to my payal account.

In the resulting tab delimited CSV file the Latitude is 0.000000 and the Longitude is the actual Latitude: 46.715900. Other items are also

That cache has a tab in the cache name. Download the cache individually and edit the tab out of the various places the name appears. Alternately, lobby the cache owner and/or your favorite admin to "fix" the cache and/or the database/web interface that lets this happen.

I have a good feeling this'll be self correcting in GSAK soon.

Forgive me if I overlooked this, but.... Is there currently a function in GSAK to mark a specified list of caches. There are several local caches that I don't have any intent on going after in the near future. I don't want to put them on my ignore list, as then I wouldn't receive them in my PQs. Kind of what I'm looking for is new color added to the display, much like 'found' 'not found' and 'owned. The ability to search based on this attribute would be helpful.

Thanks for a great program.

Is there currently a function in GSAK to mark a specified list of caches.  There are several local caches that I don't have any intent on going after in the near future.  I don't want to put them on my ignore list, as then I wouldn't receive them in my PQs.  Kind of what I'm looking for is new color added to the display, much like 'found' 'not found' and 'owned.  The ability to search based on this attribute would  be helpful.

You can't add colors or change the attributes assigned to colors (you can change the colors assigned to the predefined attributes, but that doesn't help here). A couple of options I can think of that might get you what you want (neither is particularly elegant, but they're the best I can think of):

1) To be able to search for these caches, enter something in the user notes section of each of these waypoints that uniquely identifies it as belonging to that class of waypoints - e.g. "NeverSeek1".

To later sort out these waypoints, use the filter function (Search>Filter) and enter your text "NeverSeek1" in the "Full Text Search" box on the "General" tab. Click "Selected items only" and "User Notes", then "go".

To remove these caches from a search of available caches, do the above and then User Flags>Set for Filter Only. Once the user flags are set, clear the existing filter and set a new filter for available caches (Not found, available, and User Flag NOT set). This will show you all available caches you haven't found EXCEPT the ones that contain your NeverSeek text (and are currently flagged).

If you do this often, you can save your filters (give them names you'll recognize, like "NeverSeek" and "Available Caches") or you can create a macro and assign it to a button to do all of the above in one click.

If you want to add any other caches to your never seek list in the future, just add "NeverSeek1" to the user note for that waypoint. To remove one of these from your never seek list, just delete "NeverSeek1" from the user note of that waypoint.

The downside of this approach is that you can't use user flags for anything else while you're looking at your available caches filter (i.e. setting a user flag on one of those will remove it from the filter!).

2) Another alternative would be to create a new database (Database>New) called something like "Ignore". Select the caches you don't want plan to find (set user flags on those caches) and COPY (Database>Move/Copy Waypoints) the waypoints to your "Ignore" database. This way you still have them and can sort or filter them (in their own database) if you want, but they're out of your main database.

Back in your main database (NOT your ignore database), use the waypoint delete function to "permanently" delete these waypoints from your MAIN database. This will prevent future pocket queries from adding them back into your main database. This approach allows you to keep those caches in their own database, but they won't be updated in future PQ's (unless you remove them from the permanent delete list, at which point they'll be updated in your main database again). This approach does, however, have the advantage of being a one time action, versus something that would have to be repeated in the future, and it allows you to use the user flags for other purposes.

Perhaps someone else has a more elegant solution? ;)

Ok, I know I am over looking something simple. Forgive me if I missed this in the posts, I tried to find the answers first.

I have a few issues exporting;

1. How come when I export GPX files for my pocket PC I can’t read any info? I have the cords, but no cache size, no description, no logs, and no hints. Is there a way to set this up?

2. When I export for MS S&T the waypoints double up. I keep one map with waypoints like my house and other points. I can’t seam to delete the old waypoints. I also can’t get all the information to load in the description box.

I also have a problem that all the Placed dates are set for the day I download the GPX files.

Thanks for helping a newbie

Edited by SthrnMan
1. How come when I export GPX files for my pocket PC I can’t read any info? I have the cords, but no cache size, no description, no logs, and no hints. Is there a way to set this up?

are you using LOC files? They don't have all that information in them that you say you are missing. how are you exporting? HTML would be the best, and you can view that outside the pocket pc to check it.

2. When I export for MS S&T the waypoints double up. I keep one map with waypoints like my house and other points. I can’t seam to delete the old waypoints. I also can’t get all the information to load in the description box.

GSAK exports what is in the viewable screen. What kind of filter are you using?

Edited by CompuCash

How come a 2 and a half difficulty ends up being a 4 sometimes?

Sometimes I see a 6 difficulty or terrain too.

I am using gsak and exporting the waypoints to mapsource, then downloading to my Garmin 60CS receiver.

Sorry if this is already in this thread somewhere. My skills in forums, only match my skills in geocaching. :)

How do I get a route in mapsource imported into gsak?

I want to add a thousand waypoints to the file, and then export it back to mapsource. I can't seem to figure out how to go from mapsoure (route) to gsak.

Sorry if this has already been covered. I can't find it :)

How come a 2 and a half difficulty ends up being a 4 sometimes?

Sometimes I see a 6 difficulty or terrain too.

When using the special tag "%dif1", the difficulty rating is reduced to a single digit. From the help file (bold added by me):

%dif1 = Difficulty reduced to 1 digit (dif * 2 -1), so 1=1, 1.5=2, 2=3, 2.5=4, ...

This same logic applies to the "%ter1" tag also. A cache rated as a 5/5 would appear as a 9/9 if using these tags.

*edit to expand comments

Edited by gnbrotz
How do I get a route in mapsource imported into gsak?

I want to add a thousand waypoints to the file, and then export it back to mapsource. I can't seem to figure out how to go from mapsoure (route) to gsak.

Sorry if this has already been covered. I can't find it :)

GSAK does not support routes, only waypoints. Try using GPSBabel for this.

When I try to run GSAK from within a batch file (and GSAK then runs a macro), GSAK appears to pass control back to the batch file long before the macro is complete. Why is this? :)

More to the point, is there anything I can do to prevent the remainder of the batch file from executing until GSAK has finished processing the macro? :)

To my knowledge, you're in the land of custom tweaked tools to do it. GPSBabel has a sketched in ESRI reader, but it's crude and typically requires source mods. You'll also need something modified to looip over each of the 1300 polygons.

Send offers of bribes to my payal account.

Thanks Rob,

I kind of suspected that, but was hoping someone might have done something already somewhere. I'll probably just goof around with something on my own in that cache (outside of GPSBabel/GSAK). I've got some functions already written (SHP Parser, and inside/outside routines), that should smooth things over a bit, still a pain in the arse though.

Dale

When I try to run GSAK from within a batch file (and GSAK then runs a macro), GSAK appears to pass control back to the batch file long before the macro is complete.  Why is this? :)

More to the point, is there anything I can do to prevent the remainder of the batch file from executing until GSAK has finished processing the macro? :)

Because gsak.exe is not a command line program it will run asynchronously when invoked from a batch file just by calling it.

If you don't want the commands in the batch file to run before GSAK has finished then you should start GSAK in your batch file using the START command with the wait option.

Go to the command prompt and enter "Help Start" for more information on the syntax for the start command.

Edited by ClydeE