GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Strange - I just tried it WITH the PDA in the cradle - by mistake - and it worked! I'll try that next time and see if it still works... if not, I'll try to turn off the synch, cc.

I could understand there being a problem with the PDA interfering, if they were both serial items, but the GPSr is serial and the PDA is USB. Over and above my gray-haired head, I'm afraid.

Thanks for the input!

- hamgran

Strange - I just tried it WITH the PDA in the cradle - by mistake - and it worked! I'll try that next time and see if it still works... if not, I'll try to turn off the synch, cc.

I could understand there being a problem with the PDA interfering, if they were both serial items, but the GPSr is serial and the PDA is USB. Over and above my gray-haired head, I'm afraid.

Thanks for the input!

- hamgran

OH! - well I guess I missed that somewhere - that the pda is USB -

ok - but go into the config for your sync and make sure that serial is disabled - it may actually be on and you not know it. If it is on that is likely the problem - if it is off, then well, we gotta go digging some more.

the fact it worked with it in the cradle may be the key - you see if USB is on then serial would not be on for use (I think!) -- with it off the cradle sync does not know what to expect and may have the serial port open waiting for a device. So disabling serial sync (since you won't use it anyway) should fix it for you.

now if you followed all that yer doin' great granny -

cc\

Did you give any thought to having a DNF icon exported to maps as we talked about last month?

You can do this now using the override icons. See example 3 in the "automating GSAK" section to get an idea how you can do this.

Oh...and what happened to all my cool macro buttons on the GSAK toolbar?  It's easy enough to do this thru the file menu, but I LIKED 'em!

Under the Macro menu there is a option called "Add Button to Toolbar..." I've added a few and it works well. Or am I not understanding?

I think that should do it...not at home now, so can't try it yet, but it sounds like you know what I mean.

Thanks!

bd

That option is only for adding macro buttons to your tool bar.

GSAK has so many available buttons now (just about one for every menu option) it is not practical to put them all on the tool bar. GSAK now ships with just a few standard tool buttons so if you want the others you need to add them.

I think what you mean is adding buttons like CacheMate, MapSource, Mapsend etc.

To add these type of buttons to your tool bar, right mouse click on the tool bar and select "Customize tool buttons"

Ah that explains it. I had no idea he was on vacation. I'll just wait through the nag screens until the 29th :unsure:

No, I am still checking registration emails and sending out daily so you should have yours by now.

Following on...

All registrations should be sent out withing 24 hours (Vacation or not)

There are some over zelous spam filters that tend to gobble the email so if you have not received your registration within 24 hours please PM me and I will send through another account or Groundspeak.

Oh...and what happened to all my cool macro buttons on the GSAK toolbar?  It's easy enough to do this thru the file menu, but I LIKED 'em!

Under the Macro menu there is a option called "Add Button to Toolbar..." I've added a few and it works well. Or am I not understanding?

I think that should do it...not at home now, so can't try it yet, but it sounds like you know what I mean.

Thanks!

bd

That option is only for adding macro buttons to your tool bar.

GSAK has so many available buttons now (just about one for every menu option) it is not practical to put them all on the tool bar. GSAK now ships with just a few standard tool buttons so if you want the others you need to add them.

I think what you mean is adding buttons like CacheMate, MapSource, Mapsend etc.

To add these type of buttons to your tool bar, right mouse click on the tool bar and select "Customize tool buttons"

I'd like the ability to add more than three letters to the display name of the macro though. Or a custom .bmp :unsure:

I'd like the ability to add more than three letters to the display name of the macro though. Or a custom .bmp :unsure:

The popup hint allows for a more descriptive text, but there is just not enough room for the actual button to have more than 3 characters.

Hi Clyde and all,

I use GSAK like crazy having all Québec's caches in it.. worth every $.

I have created the 2 followings URLs for Google Maps:

1- GoogleMaps(Directions)=http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=45.5,-73.7&daddr=%lat,%lon&hl=en

2 -GoogleMaps(Location)=http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=%lat,%lon&daddr=%lat,%lon&hl=en

1 - is to get directions from my home to the cache.

2 - is to get the start/dest "pins" to overlap (so I only get the cache location)

My question is about %lat and %lon.. are there equivalent Special Tags to have the lat lon of the "location" selected (home, office, chalet - defined in the locations tab of the tool > option menu?

This way, I wouldn't have to hardcode the lat lon on my 1st url. ;)

Thank you for an excellent product! :lol:

Ciao!

Papa de la GrosseFamille

I do NOT have a question

I do NOT have a complaint

I do NOT have a enhancement request

(well, at least not at the moment :lol: )

I just wanted to say THANKS for such an awesome and useful program. It is worth every penny.

emoticon_thewave.gif

I have a question. Freshly registered, using 5.5.1 (Build 21) and starting to play with features and customising via macros.. Here is a problem I have found.

First, how I have my databases: I am using multiple databases, with multiple imports daily from seperate Geocacheing.com pocket queries emailed to me (one for each DB)

So, I'm trying to save some "Load GPX/LOC file" settings to use in the Get Mail settings area. However, I find that the the chosen database is not preserved when I save the settings for "Load GPX/LOC file". The field in reference is the highlighted field in the attached picture.

gsak_load.jpg

Is the data from this field meant to be saved with the settings? :laughing:

Is there a way to download just one or a few waypoints from the GPSr to GSAK?

I could not see how, so I downloaded all 486 to a blank DB, then moved the few I wanted into the main DB.

I don't believe so. GSAK or any other software downloads all waypoints from your GPSr at once.

Also, I noticed that when downloading from the GPSr to GSAK, there is no progress bar like there is when loading from GSAK to the GPSr.

No. GSAK uses GPSBabel "under the hood" to download the waypoints from your GPSr. To my knowlege there is no command GPSBabel (or any other software) can issue to the GPSR to either show the progress or know what the total number of waypoints coming down the line. This is also the same reason why you can't download a sub set of waypoints from your GPSr

Sending to the GPSr is different because GSAK knows the number of waypoints going down to your GPSr and so does GPSBabel.

Hi Clyde and all,

1- GoogleMaps(Directions)=http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=45.5,-73.7&daddr=%lat,%lon&hl=en

2 -GoogleMaps(Location)=http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=%lat,%lon&daddr=%lat,%lon&hl=en

2 - is to get the start/dest "pins" to overlap (so I only get the cache location)

My question is about %lat and %lon.. are there equivalent Special Tags to have the lat lon of the "location" selected (home, office, chalet - defined in the locations tab of the tool > option menu?

This way, I wouldn't have to hardcode the lat lon on my 1st url. :drama:

Thank you for an excellent product! :laughing:

Ciao!

Papa de la GrosseFamille

Sorry, no. You could however work around this by setting up a macro command using the INPUT and WEB commands

Set $locations = "1 - Home" + $_crlf + "2 - Some place" + $_crlf + "3 - Another place"
INPUT Msg="$locations"
# replace %lat, %lon below with the actual location coordinates
IF $result = "1"
 WEB URL="http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=45.5,-73.7&daddr=%lat,%lon&hl=en"
ENDIF

IF $result = "2"
ENDIF

Now just add this macro to a tool bar button and all your locations in google are just a mouse click (and option number) away.

Hi Clyde and all,

This way, I wouldn't have to hardcode the lat lon on my 1st url. :drama:

Thank you for an excellent product!  :laughing:

Ciao!

Papa de la GrosseFamille

Sorry, no. You could however work around this by setting up a macro command using the INPUT and WEB commands

Set $locations = "1 - Home" + $_crlf + "2 - Some place" + $_crlf + "3 - Another place"
INPUT Msg="$locations"
IF $result = "1"
ENDIF

IF $result = "2"
ENDIF

Now just add this macro to a tool bar button and all your locations in google are just a mouse click (and option number) away.

Thanks Clyde. I'll try it.

how do I get gsak to stop associating all gpx and loc to the gsak format?

Open GSAK and look under Tools and GPX File Association and uncheck the box for Force association each time GSAK starts.

does that kill the Windows association or just the forcing everytime you start GSAK?

does that kill the Windows association or just the forcing everytime you start GSAK?

The latter ;)

Thanks PD - that is what I would have thought.

But if OP wants to kill the association as he seems to indicate, he then has to go to the Windows setup as I described.

Not sure why we have a force option unless EasyGPS steals them. I noticed I had to put them back to GSAK when I installed Easy.

cc\

Not sure why we have a force option unless EasyGPS steals them.  I noticed I had to put them back to GSAK when I installed Easy.

Many programs (not just those that handle GPX or LOC files) grab the relevant Windows file associations when installed and some do it every time they run. The authors presume that since you're installing (or running) their program, you must want it as the default and they want to insure there is some association for the file type if none previously existed.

Well behaved programs ask first, but there are not-so-well-behaved programs out there. It's in the interest of companies that sell upgrades (unlike GSAK, where upgrades are free) to make their software the default so that you forget about the competition you also may have installed.

GSAK is a well behaved program - it asks if you want it take the Windows association for files it handles, and it allows you the option to override impolite programs that try to grab the file association without your knowledge. I don't think this is targeted at any one competing product - just at impolite programs in general (known and unknown)! ;)

However, if you've told GSAK to take the file association and force it on each start and you now want to change that, you have to change BOTH the file association in Windows (per CC) and tell GSAK not to take it back each time it starts up (per PDOP's)!

Not sure why we have a force option unless EasyGPS steals them. I noticed I had to put them back to GSAK when I installed Easy.

cc\

Unfortunately with some GPS and mapping programs it's a case of dueling forced file associations. EasyGPS is the worst for this and at least GSAK gives you the option.

I do wish that Clyde would separate the LOC and GPX associations. I use Fugawi which supports direct import of LOC files but not GPX. My solution has been to disable the association in GSAK and enable it within Fugawi. This works well as long as I avoid Easy GPS,

Good explanations - well done. Stuff I had known but was lost for lack of use. But did not know that Easy isn't so easy (HA!)...

I knew there was a reason I deleted Easy! I had re-installed it recently to try to help someone who could not get wpts uploaded to the gps. Have not run it for a while and now I'm also glad to know that GSAK will take them back the next time I run it after I use Easy to try to help some.

And you said what I rather implied - that if you don't want GSAK to associate files you have to do it in two places.

cc\

I do wish that Clyde would separate the LOC and GPX associations. I use Fugawi which supports direct import of LOC files but not GPX. My solution has been to disable the association in GSAK and enable it within Fugawi. This works well as long as I avoid Easy GPS,

well, your wishes have been made known - maybe he will do that when he gets to the "wish" list of items.

cc\

Edited by CompuCash
I had re-installed it recently to try to help someone who could not get wpts uploaded to the gps.

Thats the only time I run EasyGPS now too. I just have to remember to manually reassociate GPX with GSAK when I'm done.

Edited by PDOP's
I had re-installed it recently to try to help someone who could not get wpts uploaded to the gps.

Thats the only time I run EasyGPS now too. I just have to remember to manually reassociate GPX with GSAK when I'm done.

with the force on doesn't it come back automatically?

cc\

with the force on doesn't it come back automatically?

cc\

Yes it does but then it steals the LOC association from Fugawi too. :lol:

I think it's better with one thread for each new topic, and not on long like this.

If you are a fresh user, you need to read through 100 of message to find 1 of interests. (Like the big ugly 60CS thread)

The best solution is to have one separate forum for big thing like GSAK.

At the top of the forum there should bee sticky message with FAQ.

Clyde,

Just another note to say thank you. Just wrote my first macro and it works a treat. Loads a folder of files, applies a filter, sets 490 user flags, applies another filter for user flag set and then exports the file to a cachemate file and then the gps. We used to do this set up nearly every weekend for our weekends caching the macro has made this an open up and press a button on a friday operation. Great tool.

Tend to agree with the above GSAK could do with a separate forum. Main problem is newbies tend to find this forum with enough difficulty without added complications, have a look in country specific forums and you will see threads on gsak in these.

I think it's better with one thread for each new topic, and not on long like this.

If you are a fresh user, you need to read through 100 of message to find 1 of interests. (Like the big ugly 60CS thread)

The best solution is to have one separate forum for big thing like GSAK.

At the top of the forum there should bee sticky message with FAQ.

Exactly. I just downloaded GSAK for the first time and would like to purchase it b/c it looks like a very good program.

My problem is that for some reason, it is confusing the crap out of me! I'm a pretty technical guy with software and hardware and the running of macros with GSAk is a great option. However, for some reason, I can't "get the ball running" with GSAK. I'm confused from :o the get-go and have floundered ever since.

For example, i set my home coordinates in the location tab to:

Home, N35 12.xxx, W 106 41.xxx (i added the real coordinates and not Xs). then i expected that to be my Center point. however, it only is if I uploaded a waypoint filed "Home". that seem's redundant to me so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. :P

I need the "idiots guide to GSAK" or somebodys "how to guide", to get my thinking along GSAKs mindset. I am very impressed with the capability and capacity of the program... I just can't seem to get started correctly. :D

Any ideas? :D

Edited by Team Shing

The capabilities of GSAk have expanded so much in the last year (see version history) that a single GSAK thread does get large and complicated quickly. While one massive thread may be cumbersome for those looking for help on a specific topic, there are two alternatives to reading the entire long thread:

• the GSAK help file, which has a table of contents (similar to multiple topical threads listed in a forum) and a searchable index;
  • the ability to search the forums for a specific keyword or topic (be sure to choose "Show results as Posts").

On the other hand, multiple threads would be more cumbersome for those who watch (subscribe to) the single GSAK thread as a painless way to continuously learn about the program and to offer help and advice to others. It would be easier to miss a question or bug report, leading to more unanswered posts. Multiple threads also would be more cumbersome for newbies who want to learn about the general capabilities of GSAK vs. a specific topic. When I first started using GSAK, I subscribed to the forum thread just to see what others were doing with it, and I've been addicted ever since (watch and learn!). :P

In other words, multiple threads in a GSAK forum also add complexity and mass, just a different form of complexity. This is especially true if people don't try pressing "F1" within GSAK before posting a question. The same people would tend to skip over pinned FAQ and existing threads and start new threads within a GSAK forum, leading to many duplicate threads, leading to a greater tendancy to just post new threads rather than wade through the existing ones, leading to more duplicate threads...! :o

On balance, multiple threads, even with a posted FAQ, would not be any easier, IMHO. I think it's better to offer a Markwell to this thread when people post in other places, such as the country specific forums, or when people ask a question that's already been asked and answered.

I need the "idiots guide to GSAK" or somebodys "how to guide", to get my thinking along GSAKs mindset. 

Any ideas? :o

The possible issue with a beginners guide is that gsak constantly changes. Perhaps a core functions guide could be developed. I "could" create something (guides and instruction manuals is part of my day job see my website for a UK specific paperless caching guide for an example of what can be created) but it would probably be out of date at the next release I would want Clyde's approval before commencing a a large document like this again and (more importantly) the knowledge it would be usefull.

Home, N35 12.xxx, W 106 41.xxx (i added the real coordinates and not Xs). then i expected that to be my Center point. however, it only is if I uploaded a waypoint filed "Home". that seem's redundant to me so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. :o

After doing this did you set the center point to Home (select Center Point then Home from the main menu bar)?

My problem is that for some reason, it is confusing the crap out of me!  I'm a pretty technical guy with software and hardware and the running of macros with GSAk is a great option.  However, for some reason, I can't "get the ball running" with GSAK.  I'm confused from :P  the get-go and have floundered ever since. 

I had that problem at first too. GSAK is a bit counterintuitive in some ways if you have extensive experience with other Windows programs, e.g. setting user flags rather than using CTRL-click or Shift-Click to select multiple waypoints. Clyde has explained that these quirks are limitations in the database software behind GSAK, and are tradeoffs to gain other functionality. They're easy to get used to once you've used it a bit (don't get discouraged), and the trade offs are worth it. :D

Home, N35 12.xxx, W 106 41.xxx (i added the real coordinates and not Xs).  then i expected that to be my Center point.  however, it only is if I uploaded a waypoint filed "Home".  that seem's redundant to me so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. :o

You shouldn't need a waypoint for "home" if you've set it in the location tab. Because GSAK allows you to have multiple locations set, you also need to select "Home" from the "Locations" drop down in the search bar near the top of the GSAK window. If the locations drop down isn't showing in the search bar, right click the search/tool bar, and choose "Cutomize Search Bar", then make sure you have "locations" checked. Then just choose "Home" from the locations drop down and sort by distance (click the miles or km heading) and the waypoints should sort by distance from your home.

Edit: PDOP's beat me to this answer, although I've provide an alternative to using the centre point menu, so it was not entirely in vain!

Edited by Kai Team

I need the "idiots guide to GSAK" or somebodys "how to guide", to get my thinking along GSAKs mindset. 

The possible issue with a beginners guide is that gsak constantly changes. Perhaps a core functions guide could be developed. I "could" create something...

I may be missing something (probably am), but how would this be different than the help file included with GSAK, which Clyde updates with each new release?

Is there a problem with the help file that a beginner's guide would fix? If so, wouldn't it make more sense to suggest improvements to the help file, rather than take on what would indeed be a massive undertaking!

(Not meaning to sound harsh - I really feel like I must be missing something here when I look at the "getting started" section of GSAK help).

The possible issue with a beginners guide is that gsak constantly changes. Perhaps a core functions guide could be developed. I "could" create something...

I may be missing something (probably am), but how would this be different than the help file included with GSAK, which Clyde updates with each new release?

Is there a problem with the help file that a beginner's guide would fix? If so, wouldn't it make more sense to suggest improvements to the help file, rather than take on what would indeed be a massive undertaking!

(Not meaning to sound harsh - I really feel like I must be missing something here when I look at the "getting started" section of GSAK help).

I agree i learnt gsak from scratch to macros but i am quite pc literate.

Pressing F1 seems a natural thing to do for me and the tip of the day feature can really help out at first.

wouldn't it make more sense to suggest improvements to the help file, rather than take on what would indeed be a massive undertaking!

thats probably a starter then.

So the first element is teaching people how to set up a basic pq to return some data to manipulate

Then how to open a gpx

Then how to export to a gps

maybe a separate thread to avoid to many posts in here ?

Any ideas? :D

I might be mistaking on the Home identification. I do not have a dataset (base) loaded as I'm waiting for the .gpx PQ file. I set the home point as center in Location. When i go to Center, it tells me there is no data base. I guess I expected a Waypoint to be created (automatically) whether a database was loaded or not .... ie. that regardless of the data base, all points would default to the center, unless otherwise indicated. It's looking now like it will calcualte from the defined Home, but will not auto create the waypoint - san a loaded database. Does that make sense? :o

This is my sticking point on the F1 file...

User Flag - Use this column to manually select waypoints. This allows you to set a filter on waypoints that do not meet any other criteria. You would normally clear all user flags first (User Flags=>Clear All), before selecting a group of waypoints. Just click your mouse in the box to select a waypoint. Once selected, then set a filter on User Flag = Set. Please also see item 8 of the GSAK FAQ You can also use the user flag to create a list that is the first nn waypoints in any sort sequence. To do this, Clear all user flags, then sort your database in the required sequence, then User Flags=>Set for next nn. Now finally set a filter on user flag = set.

For some reason, my mind cannot wrap around what he is trying to say here. Especially the line with

This allows you to set a filter on waypoints that do not meet any other criteria.

So, if I run a filter query, but I have manually selelcted them, do they get excluded from the filter? What criteria whould exlude them? How do I know if they have been excluded from previous filters? My 20 mile radius has over 400+ caches so my lists will be rather large.

You can also use the user flag to create a list that is the first nn waypoints in any sort sequence.

This one is confusing me also.... what is the "NN" referencing ? the fact that the manually checked caches will automatically be upfront in the normally run filter? If that is so, then I'm falling back to the reason why they got excluded in the first place... :P:D

I think I'm probably making this way too hard... :D

OK

I use user flags to manually go down the list selecting caches i want to export etc

I then set a filter to User flags set (this is a tck box selectio in the set filter pages)

You then get the caches you have ticked.

I also hava another way of using user flags.

Set a filter to return traditional caches only (eg)

This may return too many waypoints for your export to a gps.

You then select set user flags for the next 500 (nn) waypoints

Apply the user flag set filter and you get 500 waypoints on screen ready to export to your gps etc.hope this makes sense

I might be mistaking on the Home identification. I do not have a dataset (base) loaded as I'm waiting for the .gpx PQ file. I set the home point as center in Location. When i go to Center, it tells me there is no data base. I guess I expected a Waypoint to be created (automatically) whether a database was loaded or not .... ie. that regardless of the data base, all points would default to the center, unless otherwise indicated. It's looking now like it will calcualte from the defined Home, but will not auto create the waypoint - san a loaded database. Does that make sense? :o

This is my sticking point on the F1 file...

BINGO! The locations are not waypoints, rather points to measure from. For instance, I put the coordinates of home, work, my folks, etc into GSAK and then I'm able to sort my DB's and find what's closest to each location. You'll build a DB once you get your PQ file....also, you can download individual GPX files from individual cache pages if you want to at least see how GSAK works while you're waiting for your PQ file to show up.

I do not have a dataset (base) loaded as I'm waiting for the .gpx PQ file. 

Set your PQ to be delivered today (they usually come in a few minutes if they haven't been run before) or download individual GPX files as LBSurfer suggested. It is VERY hard to understand GSAK feaures when you have nothing in the database, because you can't see the effect of what you're doing.

I set the home point as center in Location.  When i go to Center, it tells me there is no data base.  I guess I expected a Waypoint to be created (automatically) whether a database was loaded or  not .... ie. that regardless of the data base, all points would default to the center, unless otherwise indicated.  It's looking now like it will calcualte from the defined Home, but will not auto create the waypoint - san a loaded database.  Does that make sense?  :D

Yes - waypoints are entered via PQ's, single GPX or LOC file downloads (GSAK can import a whole folder of those at one time), imports from your GPSr or manually (Waypoint>Add).

As mentioned above, "Locations" allow you to set predefined locations (without an associated waypoint) that are used to filter and sort the waypoints in your database. For example I have one for Home, one for my Sister-in-Law's house in another State, and ones for when I want a "center point" for locating caches near someplace I'm going (e.g. last year we visited three islands in Hawaii, and I had locations set for the coordinates of each place we were staying). This makes it easy to filter and sort caches by the distance from your starting point.

This is my sticking point on the F1 file...For some reason, my mind cannot wrap around what he is trying to say here.  Especially the line with
This allows you to set a filter on waypoints that do not meet any other criteria.

Once you have waypoints in your GSAK data base, click on the "Search" menu, then "Filter". Up pops a multi tabbed dialog that allows you to set a ton of criteria upon which to filter the waypoints in your database, e.g. cache name, text, distance, placed by, found status, difficulty, terrain, dates, travel bugs, logs, etc, etc. (or any logical combination of these factors). You can also save a particular filter (e.g. caches you have not found within 20 miles of your home that were placed by Joe Cacher and have at least one found log) for easy use in the future through the filter drop down on the search bar.

This is the power of GSAK - you can sort and filter your database (many people have thousands of waypoints in a GSAK database, so don't worry about a few hundred being too many).

So, if I run a filter query, but I have manually selelcted them, do they get excluded from the filter? What criteria whould exlude them?

It depends. If you want to filter caches by one of the many criteria in the filter dialog, you don't have to use the user flags at all. However, you can manually choose to include or exclude specific caches if they don't meet any of the predefined criteria. To include manually flagged caches, you would check "user flag set" in the filter dialog. To exclude manually selected caches, you would check "User flag not set" in the dialog. If you check both (the default), user flags are ignored.

How do I know if they have been excluded from previous filters? 

Well, you can trust GSAK or, if you want to "trust but verify", :wub: you can go to the last waypoint in your filtered database, right click and choose "Show current row number" - this will tell you how many waypoints are still in your filter vs. how many you started with. The difference would be the number you excluded.

You can also use the user flag to create a list that is the first nn waypoints in any sort sequence.

This one is confusing me also.... what is the "NN" referencing ? the fact that the manually checked caches will automatically be upfront in the normally run filter? If that is so, then I'm falling back to the reason why they got excluded in the first place... :wub::wub:

The "nn" refers to a user defined number of waypoints - it's just a placeholder for whatever number you choose to put in.

I think I'm probably making this way too hard... :wub:

Yep - load in some waypoints and play around - you'll get the hang of it pretty easily once you can see what happens when you try different things!! :wub: