GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

I am downloading caches from GSAK to my meridian gold. There are 2 series of caches that I am downloading however only the last cache of the series shows up in my GPS. There are about 20 + caches in the series. They all have the same name with the exception of the end. Each one ends in a different letter, ie cache name a, cache name b, etc. Does anyone know if there is something in GSAK that I need to do to get all of the caches to download to my GPS? B)

Thanks!

I am downloading caches from GSAK to my meridian gold. There are 2 series of caches that I am downloading however only the last cache of the series shows up in my GPS. There are about 20 + caches in the series. They all have the same name with the exception of the end. Each one ends in a different letter, ie cache name a, cache name b, etc. Does anyone know if there is something in GSAK that I need to do to get all of the caches to download to my GPS? B)

You need a unique name for each waypoint. I would suggest using either %smart or %code in the tags box under waypoint name of the export dialog box. See the relevant help description for more information about how how the special tags work.

Bear in mind that you only have 8 characters to work with on the Meridian. If you already have %smart in there (it's the default value) and you are still losing data, you may need to shift to %code.

I am downloading caches from GSAK to my meridian gold.  There are 2 series of caches that I am downloading however only the last cache of the series shows up in my GPS.  There are about 20 + caches in the series.  They all have the same name with the exception of the end.  Each one ends in a different letter, ie cache name a, cache name b, etc.  Does anyone know if there is something in GSAK that I need to do to get all of the caches to download to my GPS?  B)

You need a unique name for each waypoint. I would suggest using either %smart or %code in the tags box under waypoint name of the export dialog box. See the relevant help description for more information about how how the special tags work.

Bear in mind that you only have 8 characters to work with on the Meridian. If you already have %smart in there (it's the default value) and you are still losing data, you may need to shift to %code.

If you use %smart=8 or set your smart name length to 8 then GSAK will ensure every waypoint name is unique.

In this situation please also make sure you set your maximum characters to 8 otherwise if you set it to something like 6, only 6 characters will be sent down to your GPS and hence the names will no longer be unique because of truncation.

I have a problem when I change the font size in windows.

The box like the one you get when you do "File" "Load GPZ/LOC" "OK" is not big enough the show all info, or it does not resize correct.

I change the font size due to that i have a portable with 15" screen with 1600x1200 resolution.  It's hard to read the fonts at normal size.

Please see this post from a previous GSAK thread. Try lowering your screen resolution when you run GSAK?

I can not change my font size because I have a 15" portable PC with 1600x1200 resolution. Lower the font size makes to fonts to small to read.

95% of all applications handles this correct, but someone like GSAK does not make it correct.

I do not think the solution is to include scroll bars, I think this is how frames is laid out by design.

None of the Microsoft application have problem like this.

It may be the compiler.

I can not change my font size because I have a 15" portable PC with 1600x1200 resolution.  Lower the font size makes to fonts to small to read.

95% of all applications handles this correct, but someone like GSAK does not make it correct. 

I do not think the solution is to include scroll bars, I think this is how frames is laid out by design.

It may be the compiler.

I had essentially the same problem on my computer with two moniters. Whole Clyde couldn't figure it out, once I registered, it went away for the most part. Not sure if this will help you or not but it did the trick for me (at least for most of that problem. The tool bar is still a little screwy).

The box like the one you get when you do "File" "Load GPZ/LOC" "OK" is not big enough the show all info, or it does not resize correct.

I change the font size due to that i have a portable with 15" screen with 1600x1200 resolution.  It's hard to read the fonts at normal size.

Please see this post from a previous GSAK thread. Try lowering your screen resolution when you run GSAK?

I can not change my font size because I have a 15" portable PC with 1600x1200 resolution. Lower the font size makes to fonts to small to read.

It may be the compiler.

I did not suggest changing your font size, I suggested lowering your screen resoltuon. It makes no sense to run a very high resolution on such a small screen for an application like GSAK (or anything else, for that matter). Right click on the desktop, go to Properties>Settings and drag the slider to the left (to 1024x768 pixel resolution). Problem solved.

Your criticisms of Clyde and GSAK are arrogant - he knows a bit more about GSAK than you do. It's unreasonable to compare a multi-billion dollar corporation like Microsoft (which would probably charge $199 for GSAK) and a one person operation like GSAK, which sells for $20 including unlimited upgrades. And my guess is that you didn't even pay the $20 before presuming to tell Clyde how to write his program!

If you can't or won't change your screen resolution, then either live with the font problems or stop using GSAK. But don't insult a guy who has done a fantastic job creating a very useful program for 99% of geocachers!

Hi Clyde -

Small feature request.

When exporting to CacheMate it goes through a process that says "Running CMConvert 'Under the Hood'". This usually takes a couple minutes.

Is there a way you can make the status bar on this dialog show the actual progress of the conversion rather than just having the status bar repeating itself over and over which doesn't give me any sense of how far along the conversion process GSAK is?

Thanks!

I have just recieved a Magellan Explorist 500 and I am unable to send waypoints to it. I have been using a Garmin Etrex with no trouble. I can send waypoints to the unit using there own software but not GSAK. I have installed the software that came with the unit and I am using the supplied USB cable. can someone please help me out on this one.

I have just recieved a Magellan Explorist 500 and I am unable to send waypoints to it. I have been using a Garmin Etrex with no trouble. I can send waypoints to the unit using there own software but not GSAK. I have installed the software that came with the unit and I am using the supplied USB cable. can someone please help me out on this one.

This question has come up a lot. One place it is covered is toward the end of this thread.

It may be the compiler.

I did not suggest changing your font size, I suggested lowering your screen resoltuon. It makes no sense to run a very high resolution on such a small screen for an application like GSAK (or anything else, for that matter). Right click on the desktop, go to Properties>Settings and drag the slider to the left (to 1024x768 pixel resolution). Problem solved.

Your criticisms of Clyde and GSAK are arrogant - he knows a bit more about GSAK than you do. It's unreasonable to compare a multi-billion dollar corporation like Microsoft (which would probably charge $199 for GSAK) and a one person operation like GSAK, which sells for $20 including unlimited upgrades. And my guess is that you didn't even pay the $20 before presuming to tell Clyde how to write his program!

If you can't or won't change your screen resolution, then either live with the font problems or stop using GSAK. But don't insult a guy who has done a fantastic job creating a very useful program for 99% of geocachers!

You can change the screen resolution on a CRT monitor, but not on a LCD.

If I lower the resolution on my IBM T42p from 1600x1200 (resolution of the LCD) to 1200x1024 or 1024x768 an LCD screen gets blurry.

If I did have a portable pc with 1200x1024 I need to set it to 1200x1024.

The best solution is to fix the program to work with all resolution and all font size like Microsoft Word etc.

Where in my text did I criticisms anyone??

That was not my intention. GSAK is a great program.

First a suggestion - it would be much much easier to discuss GSAK i it had it's own subforum rather than just a giant thread... how do we organise that?

Second, a question - is it possible when I export to MapSource to have the different cache types refer to a mapsource category? I tend to like to do either multis or virtuals etc and am forever exporting just a group of one or the other and would like to be able to differentiate.

Small feature request.

When exporting to CacheMate it goes through a process that says "Running CMConvert 'Under the Hood'". This usually takes a couple minutes.

Is there a way you can make the status bar on this dialog show the actual progress of the conversion rather than just having the status bar repeating itself over and over which doesn't give me any sense of how far along the conversion process GSAK is?

Unfortunatley when CMConvert is running under the hood it does not provide any feedback on where it is up to (unlike GPSBabel does when sending waypoints to the GPSr) so I am unable to display a progress meter or the like.

If you use %smart=8 or set your smart name length to 8 then GSAK will ensure every waypoint name is unique.

In this situation please also make sure you set your maximum characters to 8 otherwise if you set it to something like 6, only 6 characters will be sent down to your GPS and hence the names will no longer be unique because of truncation.

Thanks for the help....that worked!!! ;)

Edited by Cocacola1820

Thanks for the help....that worked!!! ;)

Clyde, is it time for me to fix this common misconfiguration for Magellan users the same way I fixed it for Garmin users a few months back? It feels dirty to rename waypoints by default as they come through, but it seems like this trips up an interesting number of folks.

Then the question becomes "why did you mess up my names" instead of "why did you lose my waypoints", but it's probably still a better user experience.

Using 5.5.1 - Just downloaded it and reinstalled for the second time. But have problems. The command :

filter name = "My Found Caches"

Stops cold. Says filter does not exist.

So does :

Database name = "Local"

Says database does not exist. It does.

A second problem ----> INPUT the third token VarName=$Result

Can't get this to work. I think it means $here=$result will place in input into $here, but it does not. After the INPUT command I can do a SET $here=$result and get what I want but not the way I think it should work.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by papatom2
Any chance log icons will be updated. Everything is either a note/found/dnf. I'd like to see the archived icon, etc added... (I know the colored dots on the list page shows it but the detailed page just shows notes).

Hmm, thiere must be a note description I have not got in the table (they show the needs archiving symbol for me) could you please email me an example of an one of the caches you refer to that just has this as a note and I will add it into the GSAK table.

Using 5.5.1 - Just downloaded it and reinstalled for the second time. But have problems. The command :

So does :

Database name = "Local"

Can't get this to work. I think it means $here=$result will place in input into $here, but it does not. After the INPUT command I can do a SET $here=$result and get what I want but not the way I think it should work.

Any help appreciated.

There shold be no space after the = symbol

name="some name" =>works

name= "some name" => will NOT work (notice space)

Please see the INPUT macro command in the help file.

Basically VarName=$Result means that if you leave out this token then the variable $Result will automatically get the result of your input. If you wanted the value of your input to go to another variable you would code something like:

INPUT Msg="Enter yes or no" Varname=$UserInput
IF $UserInput = "yes"
 ....commands
ENDIF

QUOTE (papatom2 @ May 24 2005, 03:12 AM)

So does :

Database name = "Local"

Any help appreciated.

There shold be no space after the = symbol

name="some name" =>works

name= "some name" => will NOT work (notice space)

Please see the INPUT macro command in the help file.

Basically VarName=$Result means that if you leave out this token then the variable $Result will automatically get the result of your input. If you wanted the value of your input to go to another variable you would code something like:

CODE

INPUT Msg="Enter yes or no" Varname=$UserInput

IF $UserInput = "yes"

....commands

ENDIF

Thanks for fast reply. I got it now - it;s working.

Did you give any thought to having a DNF icon exported to maps as we talked about last month?

I have been reading this thread for a couple hours today at work...and am excited to get home and try some of this stuff on my own GSAK. Thanks for the tips!

One thing I am wondering about...is there a way, or might there soon BE a way, to make the updating an automatic feature? What I mean, is presently, I go in and click the button, and it searches thru my e-mail and imports anything that is there. Might there be a way to set this to happen at a certain time of day, say, 4 a.m. when I am sleeping, so it's just always updated, and I never have the queries in my e-mail? ( I set GSAK to delete them after they are imported) It's not like it's a hassle to click the button, what I really am after is not having to wait for it to import the files, since I like to get home, update my PDA and head out after work or whatever. It presently takes a few minutes to run, and then I have to load the files into my PDA and GPS, so any time i could save would be great.

And thanks Clyde for a wonderful program!

bunkerdave

Edited by bunkerdave

Oh...and what happened to all my cool macro buttons on the GSAK toolbar? It's easy enough to do this thru the file menu, but I LIKED 'em!

Additionally, I am reading a lot about the CM2GPX files. Do I understand correctly that there is a way to do a hotsync with my PDA, and have my PDA tell GSAK (via the PDB file) which caches I found and when? Right now all I am doing is waiting for the updated GPX from my PQs, but if I could have it done immediately, that would be pretty cool, too, tho not really necessary, since my "daily update" PQs give me all caches in my state than have had anything changed on them in the last 24 hours. I have not thus far bothered with the LOG feature on CacheMate, as cool as it is, because my 60CS tracks which caches I have found automatically, and if I find the cache without needing any info from CacheMate, then my PDA stays in my pocket. HOWEVER, that means I have to go in and tell GSAK which caches I found, one by one. If cachemate can tell GSAK which ones i found, then that would make it worth updating as I go. The additional information would be kind of fun to have too.

bd

Edited by bunkerdave
Any idea how long it takes to get a registration code? I sent my $20 in yesterday and haven't received an email yet. I thought this was Clyde's full-time job :( (at least according to the GSAK webpage)

He just got back from vacation a few days ago, probably not caught up yet? I am sure he will send you the code as soon as he gets through the email of all those who paid while he was on vacation. I remembered what those days after a vacation were like before I retired.

Oh...and what happened to all my cool macro buttons on the GSAK toolbar?  It's easy enough to do this thru the file menu, but I LIKED 'em!

Additionally, I am reading a lot about the CM2GPX files.  Do I understand correctly that there is a way to do a hotsync with my PDA, and have my PDA tell GSAK (via the PDB file) which caches I found and when? 

bd

Actually there are two ways to get the data to your PC using Cachemate. One gets the found data to GSAK and the other gets the found data to Palm Desktop.

I too am just getting in to CM2GPX and may go that route. What I do now is log the data in cachemate, when I find a cache during the day, then go in to Cachemate and use the 'export logs' feature. Once I see the found data is in memos on the Palm (that's where Cachemats' 'export logs' puts it). I hot sync, then the data is moved to the Palm Desktop because I set up hot sync for the Palm memos to overide the Desktop. I copy/paste from there to GC.com and log the cache.

It sounds like CM2GPX will eliminate my copy/paste routine but I have to wait until next week when I will be able to log a find. There are no more caches for me to find here in San Felipe, Baja, Mexico.

Edited by wornout

Ooops, that is true, I went back and reread his post on May 17th

"""Side note:

Thanks to those of you that have answered questions thus far while I am on vacation. Some of the replies are spot on, and probably better than what I would have come up with biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif"""

and realized he is not back, he was just saying thanks for what people have been doing 'thus far while I am on vacation''.....

No, I am still checking registration emails and sending out daily so you should have yours by now.

Maybe you should devote some development time to automate this process, at least for peace of mind and total relaxation in future holidays. ;-)

No, I am still checking registration emails and sending out daily so you should have yours by now.

Maybe you should devote some development time to automate this process, at least for peace of mind and total relaxation in future holidays. ;-)

Actually I have. Registrations are an automated process form my home server.

Unfortunately, my home city has had severe thunderstorms lately and the server is down and I can't get it back up again. Thus plan B - working from my laptop once per day from and Internet cafe.

Is there a way to run MS Streets and Trips from GSAK by right clicking a cache and selecting "Run Program" so that S&T opens with a pushpin at the coordinates of the selected cache?

Anybody?

This is a great idea, but can it work with Delorme SA 2005?

Is there a way to run MS Streets and Trips from GSAK by right clicking a cache and selecting "Run Program" so that S&T opens with a pushpin at the coordinates of the selected cache?

Anybody?

I'd like to see this with Map Source as well. :unsure:

I have been reading this thread for a couple hours today at work...and am excited to get home and try some of this stuff on my own GSAK. Thanks for the tips!

One thing I am wondering about...is there a way, or might there soon BE a way, to make the updating an automatic feature? What I mean, is presently, I go in and click the button, and it searches thru my e-mail and imports anything that is there. Might there be a way to set this to happen at a certain time of day, say, 4 a.m. when I am sleeping, so it's just always updated, and I never have the queries in my e-mail? ( I set GSAK to delete them after they are imported) It's not like it's a hassle to click the button, what I really am after is not having to wait for it to import the files, since I like to get home, update my PDA and head out after work or whatever. It presently takes a few minutes to run, and then I have to load the files into my PDA and GPS, so any time i could save would be great.

And thanks Clyde for a wonderful program!

bunkerdave

GSAK Macros can be called via a command line, so you could use "Scheduled Tasks" to call a macro that automatically does the updates. The macro could also do exports to the PDA (e.g., MightySync for PPC) and the GPS (e.g., a Magellan connected to external power to prevent battery usage).

Oh...and what happened to all my cool macro buttons on the GSAK toolbar? It's easy enough to do this thru the file menu, but I LIKED 'em!

Under the Macro menu there is a option called "Add Button to Toolbar..." I've added a few and it works well. Or am I not understanding?

Unfortunately, my home city has had severe thunderstorms lately and the server is down and I can't get it back up again. Thus plan B - working from my laptop once per day from and Internet cafe.

Oh, that just sucks. Guess we have to buy a few more licences so you can invest in a UPS for your server. :unsure:

well it is saving my text now (weird) but last time i checked (when i posted the original post) it was saving edited macros but not new ones.

I have had that same issue so I switched to notepad.

It sounds like there could be a bug in the save function of the GSAK macro editor.

I will have a look at this when I get back and see if I can get to the bottom ofit , but If some one can consitently reproduce the problem and email me the steps involved it would be helpful.

after a bit more testing i can replicate the following.

Create a new macro - enter some text.

Hit the save menu item and type in "andy" (no .txt extension) and the file does not get saved.

repeat but give it a .txt extension and the file is saved.

However if you have previously saved a macro with a .txt extension and then without closing the editor save another macro without the extension then it will save successfully (but add a .txt to the end).

This post emailed to clyde to make it easier for him to track but also added here in the forums to assist others.

Oh...and what happened to all my cool macro buttons on the GSAK toolbar?  It's easy enough to do this thru the file menu, but I LIKED 'em!

Under the Macro menu there is a option called "Add Button to Toolbar..." I've added a few and it works well. Or am I not understanding?

I think that should do it...not at home now, so can't try it yet, but it sounds like you know what I mean.

Thanks!

bd

Additionally, I am reading a lot about the CM2GPX files.  Do I understand correctly that there is a way to do a hotsync with my PDA, and have my PDA tell GSAK (via the PDB file) which caches I found and when?  Right now all I am doing is waiting for the updated GPX from my PQs, but if I could have it done immediately, that would be pretty cool, too, tho not really necessary, since my "daily update" PQs give me all caches in my state than have had anything changed on them in the last 24 hours.  I have not thus far bothered with the LOG feature on CacheMate, as cool as it is, because my 60CS tracks which caches I have found automatically, and if I find the cache without needing any info from CacheMate, then my PDA stays in my pocket.  HOWEVER, that means I have to go in and tell GSAK which caches I found, one by one.  If cachemate can tell GSAK which ones i found, then that would make it worth updating as I go.  The additional information would be kind of fun to have too.

bd

I have been using this process for the last couple of weeks. It really is a quick two step process.

1. Hot sync your palm device.

2. I run a macro that brings in all of the "found" notes from the palm and integrates them with the GSAK database.

Here is the macro that I use.

RUNPGM pgm="C:Program Files\GSAK\CmConvert\FromPalm.bat" Wait=Yes

Cachemate settings=PalmFound

FILTER <Name="FoundByMe">

SORT By="FoundByMe;UserSort"

The batch file that I call is as follows:

"C:\Program Files\GSAK\CmConvert\cm2gpx.exe" -f -o "C:\Program Files\GSAK\CmConvert\PalmFound.gpx" -z "C:\Program Files\Handspring\Brian-0\Backup\DefaultItems-cMat.PDB"

This assumes some settings and filters that need to be set up one time only.

Hope that helps

Brian

This is just a general post with information.

If you want an easier method of editing Macros download context from http://context.cx/ If I can't post url's let me know and I'll delete it.

If you do get it - I made a highlighter and code template for GSAK and uploaded them to the board. So get those so you wont be starting at ground zero. If you can't find them email me and I can send you.

FYI: hitting ctrl-J in context will bring up a window with all 30 Macro commands. Type the first initial for the command you want and it will goto that area - use down arrow to get the command you want. Hit ENTER or double click and the template is placed in the editting window.

Alternetly - you can type the command and hit ctrl-J and the template is filled in.

OR you could use your shortcut word [ ifb for the IF statement ] and the hit ctrl-J.

Pretty sharp and FREE. Give it a look see.

PS This is info not spam I get nothing from this program.

Edited by papatom2

I've got a bit of a problem downloading waypoints to my Garmin Vista...

sometimes it works like a charm, other times I get an error message: "Garmin can't initialize COM1".

I could see there being a tangible problem that I could fix, if it happened all the time, but it happens about 70% of the time and then other times I can download no problem.

I don't think I'm doing anything different - I've tried doing things in a different order - e.g. hooking the GPSr up and then turning it on and vice-versa, opening GSAK first or last, and other things. There doesn't seem to be a pattern.

Anyone else with this problem?

- hamgran

This is just a general post with information.

If you want an easier method of editing Macros download context from http://context.cx/ If I can't post url's let me know and I'll delete it.

If you do get it - I made a highlighter and code template for GSAK and uploaded them to the board. So get those so you wont be starting at ground zero. If you can't find them email me and I can send you.

FYI: hitting ctrl-J in context will bring up a window with all 30 Macro commands. Type the first initial for the command you want and it will goto that area - use down arrow to get the command you want. Hit ENTER or double click and the template is placed in the editting window.

Alternetly - you can type the command and hit ctrl-J and the template is filled in.

OR you could use your shortcut word [ ifb for the IF statement ] and the hit ctrl-J.

Pretty sharp and FREE. Give it a look see.

PS This is info not spam I get nothing from this program.

interesting - will send you a note off line - would like to see your templates

thanks -

I've got a bit of a problem downloading waypoints to my Garmin Vista...

sometimes it works like a charm, other times I get an error message:  "Garmin can't initialize COM1". 

I could see there being a tangible problem that I could fix, if it happened all the time, but it happens about 70% of the time and then other times I can download no problem.

I don't think I'm doing anything different - I've tried doing things in a different order - e.g. hooking the GPSr up and then turning it on and vice-versa, opening GSAK first or last, and other things.  There doesn't seem to be a pattern.

Anyone else with this problem?

- hamgran

I use GASK and an eTrex Vista without a problem. A couple of thoughts:

Are you running a Palm Pilot or other PDA hot sync software? These programs sometimes seize COM1 and won't let GSAK use the port. If so, try changing either GSAK or the PDA sync software (not both) to COM3 and see if that solves the problem (I'd change the PDA software first if you can). If that doesn't work, try existing the PDA sync program before downloading from GSAK to your GPSr.

If you're not running PDA software, then it sounds like you might have a bad cable or poor connection with your GPS. To test for this, try downloading to the Vista using some other software (e.g. Mapsource or Easy GPS) to see if you have the same problem. If you do, I'd bet it's the cable (either the cable is bad, or it's not fully connected at one end or the other).

I thought of the cable problem, so I borrowed another Vista cable from a friend and tried it - same thing.

I do have a PDA, and I always make sure it's out of its cradle when I try downloading, so the synch is off. Unfortunately, I have only one COM port on the computer, otherwise I'd try another port.

Maybe I'll try completely unhooking the PDA from the USB port. Although that wouldn't explain why the download works sometimes, and not others, when I've never unhooked it before.

Thanks for the input!

- hamgran

I thought of the cable problem, so I borrowed another Vista cable from a friend and tried it - same thing.

I do have a PDA, and I always make sure it's out of its cradle when I try downloading, so the synch is off. Unfortunately, I have only one COM port on the computer, otherwise I'd try another port.

Maybe I'll try completely unhooking the PDA from the USB port. Although that wouldn't explain why the download works sometimes, and not others, when I've never unhooked it before.

Thanks for the input!

- hamgran

Granny -

it is not just a matter of having the pda off the cradle - you need to go into the setup and disable the serial port availability when you want to use the serial port for downloading from GSAK.

so try that and let us know how it works for you.

cc\