GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

just a heads up that the macro editor doesn't actually save any macros that you create

Yes it does - while in the Macro Editor select 'File' then 'Save' or 'Save as' and give it a name (the default is 'New Macro'):)

It does have a weird behavior when compared to any other windows-ish app. Normally, when you do a Save As, after typing in the name and hitting save, the current document becomes the saved document. In the Macro editor, it doesn't, even though the document got saved. You'd have to re-load the Save As file and you'll be fine from then on. Just a little quirk I can live with.

--Marky

just a heads up that the macro editor doesn't actually save any macros that you create

Yes it does - while in the Macro Editor select 'File' then 'Save' or 'Save as' and give it a name (the default is 'New Macro'):)

It does have a weird behavior when compared to any other windows-ish app. Normally, when you do a Save As, after typing in the name and hitting save, the current document becomes the saved document. In the Macro editor, it doesn't, even though the document got saved. You'd have to re-load the Save As file and you'll be fine from then on. Just a little quirk I can live with.

--Marky

Clyde has said elsewhere that the macro editing facility is a very simple text editor.

I personally don't like the fact that the macro editor has to be closed before you can 'try' a macro. This if I recall correctly is due to the underlying Delphi development environment Clyde uses. A lot of people including me have set up a GSAK button to run their favourite text editor. This can be left 'open' all the time when creating/testing your macros and I personally find it a lot easier and quicker this way.

Is there a way to change the code which decides what appears in the "Counts" fields (yellow/white/green/red, bottom right) ?

Two of my owned caches say, on the GC.com listing, "by sTeamTraen and <other>", rather than just "by sTeamTraen". So my total of owned caches is wrong by 2. If the "green" field could be user-defined as "contains %myusername" rather "equals %myusername" that would fix it.

And my second minor request of the evening: would it be possible to edit the "last logged" field ? One of my finds was archived before I got GSAK, so it has never shown up in a PQ, and that blank field is gnawing away at me. I appreciate that this is not something anyone will want to do very often!

Thanks

Nick

Is there a way to change the code which decides what appears in the "Counts" fields (yellow/white/green/red, bottom right) ?

Two of my owned caches say, on the GC.com listing, "by sTeamTraen and <other>", rather than just "by sTeamTraen".  So my total of owned caches is wrong by 2.  If the "green" field could be user-defined as "contains %myusername" rather "equals %myusername" that would fix it.

And my second minor request of the evening: would it be possible to edit the "last logged" field ?  One of my finds was archived before I got GSAK, so it has never shown up in a PQ, and that blank field is gnawing away at me.  I appreciate that this is not something anyone will want to do very often!

Thanks

Nick

Try putting in your GC.com user ID (in your case the number 200375) instead of sTeamTraen and tick the relevant box in Tools/Options/General tab.

If that doesn't do it trying the 'Allow wild card match' with something like 'sTeamTraen*'

Edited to add: you'll probably need to do a repair/defrag after carrying out either of the above suggestions.

For your second question go directly to the archived cache page and download the GPX file from the page and load it ito GSAK. Provided you are logged under your user name the last log in the gpx file should be yours. (At least I think that's correct.) :) and the last log field in GSAK should get populated with the date.

Edited by Motley Crew
Both of those answers were spot on, thanks!

Great - it's nice to know I got it dead right for once :D . Sometimes it's not easy to understand what a poster is trying to achieve but in your case I thought I could see what you were after :D .

Is there an easier way to filter out the first x number of caches without setting user flags and then filtering on that?

Now that I have an explorist I need to create smaller files. I was surprised that when you export to the magellan format there is no option to only send x number of records.

you can filter on just about anything you want. As was mentioned you can filter on distance. I filter first on not found and available. Then you can sort on distance from home or distance from a certain cache.

I saw a macro where Clyde did a certain number of caches but I'll be darned if I can find the setting right now - I may have to go searching the forum.

ahhh... it is part of the macro language -

USERFLAG <type=set|clear|swap> <range=all|filter|nn>

Use this command to manipulate the user flags.

Type = The type of userflag manipulation to perform

set - set all user flags as specified in the range token

clear - clear all user flags as specified in the range token

swap - reverse the setting of the userflags specified in the range token (if set, then unset and vice versa)

Range = The range of records to manipulate:

All - includes all waypoints in the database, regardless what your current filter is.

Filter - includes only the waypoints in your current filter

nn -  the number or waypoints (starting from the current one) to set, clear, or swap

with this you can set the number of user flags you want, then filter on user flags (after the previous filters mentioned) then upload the number of waypoints to the gps. You could put all of this into a macro to do it all for you with a single button push. Check the macro thread - I have a macro there for uploading to your gps.

cc\

Yes it does - while in the Macro Editor select 'File' then 'Save' or 'Save as' and give it a name (the default is 'New Macro'):D

--Marky

Clyde has said elsewhere that the macro editing facility is a very simple text editor.

I personally don't like the fact that the macro editor has to be closed before you can 'try' a macro. This if I recall correctly is due to the underlying Delphi development environment Clyde uses. A lot of people including me have set up a GSAK button to run their favourite text editor. This can be left 'open' all the time when creating/testing your macros and I personally find it a lot easier and quicker this way.

so use NotePad -

Save the current version and run it - that's how I doo it.

Set up GSAK for the macro with the right file name -

then go to it with NotePad - every time you think you want to do a trial run just do a Ctrl+S to save the file and switch to GSAK and click your macro button -

don't like the results?

switch back to NotePad and edit your heart out -

Alt+Tab is great for swtiching back and forth.

cc\

I have Cachemate on my Palm, not GSAK.

I did have trouble registering Cachemate and had to download the little program that converted my name to numbers and then it worked.

I'm sorry I have cachemate also where do you get the program to change your name to numbers

nerj

It is called RegAid.

Good luck. It worked for me.

Does anyone know how to load waypoints (POI's now) on the new 600 Magellan. I cannot get my GPSR to accept them. Any help would be great!

I think that Clyde is planning to make explorist communication a bit more integrated in the next release. For now, however, export to Magellan protocol (SD card) format. Name your file with a .upt ending. If you have your 600 hooked up for data transfer, you should be able to write the file directly to your desired location in the My POIs folder (or wherever you're aiming for).

To use the Geocache Manager, you would have to export a GPX file and then import it to the Geocache Manager.

Two of my owned caches say, on the GC.com listing, "by sTeamTraen and <other>", rather than just "by sTeamTraen". So my total of owned caches is wrong by 2. If the "green" field could be user-defined as "contains %myusername" rather "equals %myusername" that would fix it.

And my second minor request of the evening: would it be possible to edit the "last logged" field ? One of my finds was archived before I got GSAK, so it has never shown up in a PQ, and that blank field is gnawing away at me. I appreciate that this is not something anyone will want to do very often!

Thanks

Nick

#1 - I like your idea of making the colored fields what you want -

--- doesn't have a lot of use for me but could be helpful

#2 - had to double check but Last Logged is not on the cache edit page (as you

--- noted). You don't have to do it in a PQ - since you seem to know that page,

--- just go to that page and download the individual gpx file. I do that all the

--- time.

and since I do it alot, I've just got to go back to the gc forum and ask for an indent function here.

I am using GSAK and export to Garmin and Cachemate using the GSAK “Smart Name”. Nice and easy to find on both GPS/PDA.

cm2gpx converts the cMat.PDB and creates the .gpx <name> as the “Smart Name” as one would expect.

When I "File=>Load cachemate logs and finds" GSAK finds no matches because it is trying to match using the “CODE” field not “Smart Name” the one I have chosen to use for exporting and expected to be used on importation. I noticed that the screen for Importing does notify me prior to the import that it going to use “Code” and not “Smart Name”

Is there any place to change the settings for the "File=>Load cachemate logs and finds" feature so that it looks for the GSAK “Smart Name”. I have looked in the help and the forum I saw some mention of this around Apr 26 2005 but have not seen anything else, currently I am modifying the .gpx file manually to replace the “Smart Name” with the actual “Code” so that it will import.

I have not yet registered GSAK, I am still evaluating it and am currently now on day 12 and I will register the software as I register all software. I am a software developer and understand the need to feed our families and keep them happy, so monetary compensation is well deserved and usually appreciated and most often needed.

PS..So far I really like the software Clyde..Good Work.

Thank you

Tom

Is there an easier way to filter out the first x number of caches without setting user flags and then filtering on that?

Now that I have an explorist I need to create smaller files. I was surprised that when you export to the magellan format there is no option to only send x number of records.

You can find a macro that will do this automatically here - Just add it as a button to the tool bar and it is only one mouse click away.

However, I do apprecialte that the new eXplorists GPSr will only send down 200 waypoints at a time in geocaching mode.

The next release of GSAK will have more comprehensive support for the eXplorist series, including the ability to select the from and to number of waypoints when doing the export.

Edited by ClydeE

Yes it does - while in the Macro Editor select 'File' then 'Save' or 'Save as' and give it a name (the default is 'New Macro'):D

--Marky

Yes, if you are going to get serious about editing GSAK macros then at the moment you are far better off using your favourite text editor and allocate it to a tool button for easy access.

The current macro editor in GSAK is just a "qick and dirty" editor to allow minor changes without having to go outside GSAK.

However, I am currently monitoring feedback on this and if there is sufficient demand I will be expanding the capabilities to do things like run stand alone, syntax highlighting, syntax checking, multiple open files, etc. I will admit however, this is not high on the priority list.

Side note:

Thanks to those of you that have answered questions thus far while I am on vacation. Some of the replies are spot on, and probably better than what I would have come up with :D:D:D:D

Edited by ClydeE
Is there a way to change the code which decides what appears in the "Counts" fields  yellow/white/green/red, bottom right) ?

I'm not sure if this part of your question was answered - if you're just looking to reassign the colors, go to Tools>Options>General and change the "Status Attributes" drop downs. The "priority" setting determines what prevails if a waypoint has more than one attribute (e.g. found and archived - which color do you want GSAK to show?).

Is there a way to change the code which decides what appears in the "Counts" fields  yellow/white/green/red, bottom right) ?

I'm not sure if this part of your question was answered - if you're just looking to reassign the colors, go to Tools>Options>General and change the "Status Attributes" drop downs. The "priority" setting determines what prevails if a waypoint has more than one attribute (e.g. found and archived - which color do you want GSAK to show?).

I think he wanted to change what they actually counted -

cc\

Hay Clyde - hope yer hav'n a great holliday!

Yes it does - while in the Macro Editor select 'File' then 'Save' or 'Save as' and give it a name (the default is 'New Macro'):P

--Marky

I've noticed this as well when editing or creating macros lately. You have to save them a few times (usually with the Save As function) to have them show up. I've actually had to 're-develop' a few macros because I thought they were saved when they weren't. I've found using notepad is an easier option for now.

Edit: I suppose I should read through ALL the comments before I post :D Seems like some of you folks already made reference to using Notepad :D

Edited by LBSurfer

So I'm trying to set it up with the Custom Icons have for my 60CS.

My icons are named 000.bmp, 001.bmp, etc. They're in the proper places as I can access them from mapsource. However, when I set them up as I think you're supposed to for GSAK, it makes an MPS file, but mapsource can't open the file it outputs.

I've followed the directions in the GSAK help file and have tired populating the text file in both ways (at different times) as below. Anyone with a 60CS that has gotten this to work?

Custom 000 ; Regular

Custom 001 ; Multi

Custom 002 ; Event

Custom 003 ; Puzzle

Custom 004 ; Letterbox

Custom 0 ; Regular

Custom 1 ; Multi

Custom 2 ; Event

Custom 3 ; Puzzle

Custom 4 ; Letterbox

I use a Garmin Legend and I can not find where you edit waypoint symboly in GSAK (Park, cemetery, buiding and etc)

Can you edit waypoint symbols in GSAK

Not completely sure what you're asking but my listing do come up. One of my choices is now "Custom 1 ; Regular"

well it is saving my text now (weird) but last time i checked (when i posted the original post) it was saving edited macros but not new ones.

I have had that same issue so I switched to notepad.

It sounds like there could be a bug in the save function of the GSAK macro editor.

I will have a look at this when I get back and see if I can get to the bottom ofit , but If some one can consitently reproduce the problem and email me the steps involved it would be helpful.

It sounds like there could be a bug in the save function of the GSAK macro editor.

I will have a look at this when I get back and see if I can get to the bottom ofit , but If some one can consitently reproduce the problem and email me the steps involved it would be helpful.

Realy simple.

Open GSAK, goto Macro/Edit Create, in the window write in whatever you want. Goto File/Save and save it somewhere. Close the window and it asks me if I want to save it or just close, so I save it again and it closes. However the file is never created.

I can do it until I am blue in the face but it will never save it.

So I'm trying to set it up with the Custom Icons have for my 60CS.

My icons are named 000.bmp, 001.bmp, etc. They're in the proper places as I can access them from mapsource. However, when I set them up as I think you're supposed to for GSAK, it makes an MPS file, but mapsource can't open the file it outputs.

I've followed the directions in the GSAK help file and have tired populating the text file in both ways (at different times) as below. Anyone with a 60CS that has gotten this to work?

Custom 000 ; Regular

Custom 001 ; Multi

Custom 002 ; Event

Custom 003 ; Puzzle

Custom 004 ; Letterbox

Custom 0 ; Regular

Custom 1 ; Multi

Custom 2 ; Event

Custom 3 ; Puzzle

Custom 4 ; Letterbox

This works for my 76C which is the same firmware

Custom 0; BrassCap
Custom 1; Geo4Box

I am using GSAK and export to Garmin and  Cachemate  using the GSAK “Smart Name”. Nice and easy to find on both GPS/PDA.

cm2gpx converts the  cMat.PDB and creates the .gpx <name> as the “Smart Name” as one would expect.

When I "File=>Load cachemate logs and finds" GSAK finds no matches because it is trying to match using the “CODE” field not “Smart Name” the one I have chosen to use for exporting and expected to be used on importation. I noticed that the screen for Importing does notify me prior to the import that it going to use “Code” and not “Smart Name”

Is there any place to change the settings for the "File=>Load cachemate logs and finds" feature so that it looks for the GSAK “Smart Name”. I have looked in the help and the forum I saw some mention of this around Apr 26 2005  but have not seen anything else, currently I am modifying the .gpx file manually to replace the “Smart Name” with the actual “Code” so that it will import.

I have not yet registered GSAK, I am still evaluating it and am currently now on day 12 and I will register the software as I register all software. I am a software developer and understand the need to feed our families and keep them happy, so monetary compensation is well deserved and usually appreciated and most often needed.

PS..So far I really like the software Clyde..Good Work.

Thank you

Tom

Thank you

Twc3

Open GSAK, goto Macro/Edit Create, in the window write in whatever you want. Goto File/Save and save it somewhere. Close the window and it asks me if I want to save it or just close, so I save it again and it closes. However the file is never created.

I can do it until I am blue in the face but it will never save it.

Ditto - however, I've noticed that if I use the Save As function, the file will be saved. The kicker is that the editor doesn't recognize the name of the file, so when I 'X' out of the editor (or go to File/Exit), it still says "Macro text has changed. Do you want to save changes?" Instead of saving to the previously saved file (via Save As function), it essentially performs a Save As function and asks me for a new file name - prompting me in the normal means of "That files already exists, blah, blah, blah" when I try to overwrite the file that I want to save it to.

I hope all that made sense :)

I've looked through every post and have not seen my situation (which I gotta admit spooks me a bit).

We have installed 5.5.1 (registered users) and now when I create mapsource files and open them ALL caches appear as boxes (open for found and closed for not found)  Prior to this release I had set everthing up to show a different icon for caches we owned as well as a different icon for caches that are unavailable/archived.  I have checked the GSAK settings and they appear to be correctly set to still do that yet everything is still showing up in map source as either an open box or closed box.  Any Ideas??

HELPPPPPP.....Marine Biologist

Did some more research. I copied the GSAK database to my home PC (which also is running the lastest version of GSAK) and ran a mapsource map and all the special icons we set up appear. I double checked the GSAK settings on my laptop against the settings on the home PC and they are all identical. Deinstalled Mapsource on laptop and reinstalled with no better results. Deinstalled GSAK on my laptop then reinstalled. Still no joy.

I think PDOP's is on the right track. If everything is working as desired on your desktop, do a GSAK backup on the desktop (File>Backup), making sure you have checked "Save GSAK Setttings". Then copy the back up files to your laptop and do a restore (File>Restore) from the back up files created on your desktop. (Note that you can tell GSAK where to put the back up and what to call it, and where to restore from in the appropriate dialogs).

This should copy all of your relevant files and settings from the desktop to the laptop, which should cause GSAK to behave the same on the laptop (i.e. generate your custom icons). Good luck!

Thanks a million. The Backup and restore worked.

This works for my 76C which is the same firmware

Custom 0; BrassCap
Custom 1; Geo4Box

Are you saying it uploads to the GPSr fine or are you saying you can get it to open in Mapsource.

Just tested it and while I get the right symbols if I send them to my GPS or download them from my GPS directly to MapSource, a MPS file created in GSAK will not open in MapSource (error is "is not a valid MapSource file)

If I export a MPS file without using custom icons it opens OK in MapSource.

Just tested it and while I get the right symbols if I send them to my GPS or download them from my GPS directly to MapSource, a MPS file created in GSAK will not open in MapSource (error is "is not a valid MapSource file)

If I export a MPS file without using custom icons it opens OK in MapSource.

Ahhh, good to know it's not me.

Does this count as a bug in GSAK?

Thanks for testing that for me PDOP.

IIRC the .mps format doesn't support custom icons.

You seem to be correct. (More reason GSAK should be updated to use .GBD as it does).

I tested this by making an MPS file in mapsource, exiting and opening it and you are correct, it didn't save it.

HOWEVER, using custom icons in GSAK shouldn't make the mps unopenable...

Can I transfer waypoints from the DataSend cd to GSAK?

There are many waypoints there that aren't on the DirectRoute cd, and I hate having to manually input them into my MeriGold.

I don't have my Magellan 315 anymore. I gave it to my brother hoping he and his son would catch the caching fever. That hasn't happened.

Is there a way export them to GSAK?

:)

Can I transfer waypoints from the DataSend cd to GSAK?

There are many waypoints there that aren't on the DirectRoute cd, and I hate having to manually input them into my MeriGold.

I don't have my Magellan 315 anymore. I gave it to my brother hoping he and his son would catch the caching fever. That hasn't happened.

Is there a way export them to GSAK?

Whew...DataSend is going back there a ways. You may have to help us out a bit more: can you tell what format the POI information is in on the CD?

You might be able to find out some relevant information at the MSH Tools site.

I have a problem when I change the font size in windows.

The box like the one you get when you do "File" "Load GPZ/LOC" "OK" is not big enough the show all info, or it does not resize correct.

I change the font size due to that i have a portable with 15" screen with 1600x1200 resolution. It's hard to read the fonts at normal size.

Here is how I change the font size:

Right click the screen and select "Properties" this brings up the "Display Properties".

Select "Settings" "Advance".

Under the "General" tab, you find a section called "Display" with a box "Font size"

Select the drop down box and select "Other.."

Type inn 125 in the "Scale fonts to be"

"Ok" "Ok" "Ok"

Here is an example picture:

gsak.jpg

Whew...DataSend is going back there a ways. You may have to help us out a bit more: can you tell what format the POI information is in on the CD?

You might be able to find out some relevant information at the MSH Tools site.

It is old, but it has a lot of useful info on it.

I will have to wait until I get home to see the format on the CD.

I will post that when I fugure it out.

I will also try that link. Thanks Embra!

spamhead

I have a problem when I change the font size in windows.

The box like the one you get when you do "File" "Load GPZ/LOC" "OK" is not big enough the show all info, or it does not resize correct.

I change the font size due to that i have a portable with 15" screen with 1600x1200 resolution.  It's hard to read the fonts at normal size.

Please see this post from a previous GSAK thread. Try lowering your screen resolution when you run GSAK?