GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Clyde - here is an interesting one for you -

Just loaded PQ and wondered why three caches at the top that were made unavailable yesterday are logged today -

check this out -

this is from the cache page -

May 7 by 4wheeler (2731 found)

Cache removed at cache owner's request. Den Of Iniquity is no more. Time to archive it.

this is from the database

Details are from the offline database last updated on 5/8/2005

5/8/2005 by 4wheeler

Cache removed at cache owner's request. Den Of Iniquity is no more. Time to archive it.

note the change of date in todays database -

cc\

your probem is probably caused by the fact that your 'Get files that match' setting is set to [Geo] Pocket Query: Il -

GSAK will only match those files with '[Geo] Pocket Query: Il -

I see you also have 'XX-' and a few others! in your in box. Changing your query to [Geo] Pocket Query: should download them all. If you want to drop them into specific folders than bit more effoert will be required.

I may be wrong here, it's 02:20am here in the UK :unsure:

Edited to add: Doh, after all that Clyde has come in with the definitive answer ;)

I'm out of me depth here :blink:

I'll let you guys who 'should' be awake and also know what you're talking about sort this one.

See y'all later.

Yikes! The new upgrade changes to the microsoft streets and trips (csv) export, prevents me from editing in excel. The problem is all the information is in one column. It was broken down in columns by the commas. My real problem is I have a Lowrance GPS and there is no export for .usr foremat. I would have to export to excel in .csv then edit the http out and rearrange the columns. Then open with notepad and add a space after the commas. Then I could import from from Lowrance GDM6 and save as a .usr. Sounds complicated but it worked. Need help  :unsure:

Please see Clyde's response in this post, Xangxa's links to the directions in this post, plus Robert Lipe's elaboration on why GPSBabel was changed in this post.

Bottom line is that you'll need to create a custom export to get the format you want. On the bright side, you should be able to create a custom export that eliminates all or most of the manual editing you've been doing!

There is a quick and dirty work-around that is EASY !

Don't use the CSV extension. Instead, rename the file with TAB extension. For example, if you were exporting to LETTERBOX.CSV before, simply rename it to LETTERBOX.TAB

CSV means "Comma Separated Values" which confuses Excel since there aren't commas in the file. With a TAB extension Excel knows that the delmiter is a tab.

I just renamed one of my CSV files and dropped it onto Excel and voila!

The rename is done after the file is exported, or via RUNPGM in a GSAK macro. The current version insists on giving MSST exports a CSV extension -- both through the interactive method and via the EXPORT macro command.

Edited by Xangxa
Clyde - here is an interesting one for you -

Just loaded PQ and wondered why three caches at the top that were made unavailable yesterday are logged today -

check this out -

this is from the cache page -

May 7 by 4wheeler (2731 found)

this is from the database

Details are from the offline database last updated on 5/8/2005

5/8/2005 by 4wheeler

note the change of date in todays database -

cc\

The log date shown by GSAK is the given inside the GPX file. The implication being that the GPX file contains this date but the cache page has the day before.

Can you interrogate the GPX file you loaded and confirm this (else just email to me)

So that I can also check the cache page could you please quote the cache ID you see this problem on.

In GSAK if you highlight the NAME column, the names will be alphabetical, is there a way to go to lets say “L” names by pushing L on the keyboard?

To quickly narrow down your current view use the "name search" box at the top of the screen. You will find this far more versatile and you can use it regardless of your current sort sequence.

If you really want to to see all caches that start with the letter "L" then set a filter on cache name using the regular expression "^l" (without the quotes)

re1.png

Edited by ClydeE

EDIT: Solution is already a macro in GSAK - please ignore

Ok, I am hooked up with Cachmate and GSAK now. Just wondering if I can make a macro to automatically copy the log text you create on the handheld and gets import into GSAK, and then open up the GC.com log page for that particular cache. This way all I would have to do is paste (ctrl-V) the info in.

so the process would be...

log cache on PDA

hotsnc with PC

convet PDB file to GPX

import GPX into GSAK with cachmate import function

highlight cache that I want to log on GC.com

hit macro key which...

copies my log found text, opens GC.com window to log page

I hope it's possible. This would be easy if GSAK had recordable macros, but I am sure that is an involved process to program.

Anyway, looking forward to the responses.

cheers,

mrking

Edited by mrking
Ok, I am hooked up with Cachmate and GSAK now. Just wondering if I can make a macro to automatically copy the log text you create on the handheld and gets import into GSAK, and then open up the GC.com log page for that particular cache. This way all I would have to do is paste (ctrl-V) the info in.

Look at File => Load CacheMate logs and finds. Also check out the CACHEMATE macro command. Those should allow you do what you want.

Advanced Tip: User Data column

The user data column is a great place to store more than one piece of user information. This is even more apparent now we have 30 characters and regular expressions.

For a contrived example, let us say you have your own coding system and like to store your own user condition for a cache that involves solving a puzzle of some type, and another condition that indicates there is water involved when searching for a cache.

All you need to do is come up with some coding system and update these codes in the user data. So let us use PUZ=Puzzle to solve, WAT= involves water

Now update the user data field accordingly. If the cache involves solving a puzzle and involves water then I suggest you use at least one separating character PUZ-WAT for example. The reason being for clarity, and the off chance that you may use a coding system where the combination of the last characters of one and the first characters of another could match an existing code

So just Puzzle to solve enter PUZ

Just involves water enter WAT

Has both puzzle and water PUZ-WAT

Now using regular expressions we can filter on conditions like:

WAT => Just waypoints involving water

PUZ => Just waypoints involving puzzles

(PUZ|WAT) => waypoints that involve puzzles or water

(puz.+wat)|(wat.+puz) => waypoint that involve puzzle and water

The last regular expression is a bit more complicated because we are allowing for more than 2 codes to be used and the fact the codes could be in any order. For an analysis of how this regular expression works please see this link

If your are willing to loose some readability in your user data you could have up to 30 user data settings:

A=Puzzle involved

B=Water involved

C=Long walk

With RegEx and filters you can come up with a coding system that is very powerful to store and analyze user information

Edited by ClydeE

Look at File => Load CacheMate logs and finds. Also check out the CACHEMATE macro command. Those should allow you do what you want.

OMG I feel like a moron. There is a dfault macro already taht does that. :mad:

mrking, I just posted my "Logem.txt" macro to the existing GSAK Macros thread for this purpose. It's significantly more involved and more capable than the one that comes with GSAK, and you should be able to run it as-is without editing, as it asks for any configuration values it can't determine on its own. It should streamline the Cachemate->GSAK->GC.com logging process even further. Check it out and let me know what you think.

I was able to 'break' the getmail feature the other night. (It was completely my fault... not Clyde's)

I had asked GSAK to get the gpx files from my POP3 mailbox while I was also reading my mail in a different browser. After it had finished with some of the mail, it encountered a message that I had deleted since it had fetched the headers. As a result, GSAK was very unhappy and refused to go any further. :lol:

So, now I know to first check my email and then let GSAK do its thing.

I would like to make a column to the right that would show the hints from the cache page.

How do I go about doing that?

Thanks,

You can only see the hints of the grid in the split screen view (F2)

However, you can view or print the grid using a custom column.

Just click on File=>Print (or the print tool button) and create your custom column as per the picture below:

print1.png

Following on....

Don't forget you can also have views in GSAK.

Save your current view (View=>Save Current, so you can always get back to what your grid looks like now)

Now let us say you wanted to really simplify the print out. Go to View=>Add/Delete columns, and delete all the columns but the code and description. (or just select the columns you want).

Also don't forget you can move the columns around in the grid so they are in the order you like to see them (you can also size each column) When finished, also save this view so you don't have to go through this process to set up this view.

As per the simplified example, your print/view would then look like this:

print2.png

Edit: you only need to set up your views once. When selecting the print option you can select a view from the "select view" button.

Edited by ClydeE

I may be overlooking something but I'm not sure how to search a multi-paged thread like this one so please forgive me if this has been asked before.

Are there any plans to allow GSAK to open files directly from a web download? I am currently using IE and when I download the GPX file, I get the option of saving or opening the file. If I choose to open the file, GSAK starts the import but then reports an error about the file being missing.

It would be nice if it could deal with the file without having to save it first. It's a minor thing, but would be nice.

I may be overlooking something but I'm not sure how to search a multi-paged thread like this one so please forgive me if this has been asked before.

Are there any plans to allow GSAK to open files directly from a web download? I am currently using IE and when I download the GPX file, I get the option of saving or opening the file. If I choose to open the file, GSAK starts the import but then reports an error about the file being missing.

It would be nice if it could deal with the file without having to save it first. It's a minor thing, but would be nice.

I did ask but it may not have been here -

seems he has to reach into the e-mail client and that ain't so easy - going to pop3 is I guess.

And from my limited knowledge I think he'd have to have a special case for all the different clients (mail programs).

had the same idea as you.

cc\

It's just amazing to me that Microsoft hasn't fixed this thing - it's been like that for years. I do a lot of web development and the hoops I have to jump through to make a simple download->open work correctly in IE are legion.

In the older version of GSAK, I would load a GPX file by manually clicking on the Open GPX/LOC button and GSAK would always default to the folder that was last open even if I closed GSAK. In the current version it only sticks to the folder after I go to the folder and load another GPX file. When I close GSAK it resets to something else. Can I get it to default to the folder I want when opening GSAK.

In the older version of GSAK, I would load a GPX file by manually clicking on the Open GPX/LOC button and GSAK would always default to the folder that was last open even if I closed GSAK. In the current version it only sticks to the folder after I go to the folder and load another GPX file. When I close GSAK it resets to something else. Can I get it to default to the folder I want when opening GSAK.

Yes, there is a quirk now if the previous file loaded does not exist any more. This will be fixed in the next release.

I was able to 'break' the getmail feature the other night. (It was completely my fault... not Clyde's)

I had asked GSAK to get the gpx files from my POP3 mailbox while I was also reading my mail in a different browser. After it had finished with some of the mail, it encountered a message that I had deleted since it had fetched the headers. As a result, GSAK was very unhappy and refused to go any further. :anibad:

I just set up a completely separate gmail account only for my (zipped) GPX files. I don't even bother to check that account with any of my other mail clients.

I was able to 'break' the getmail feature the other night.  (It was completely my fault... not Clyde's)

I had asked GSAK to get the gpx files from my POP3 mailbox while I was also reading my mail in a different browser.  After it had finished with some of the mail, it encountered a message that I had deleted since it had fetched the headers.  As a result, GSAK was very unhappy and refused to go any further.  :anibad:

I just set up a completely separate gmail account only for my (zipped) GPX files. I don't even bother to check that account with any of my other mail clients.

I have to admit, this makes a lot of sense to me.

As the gmail accounts are free, (and you don't get any advertising by using them this way) this is a good way to automatically handle PQs.

True... I do use the same account for my caches as for my 'regular' email. I think I can set up another POP3 with my current shell provider. I hesitate to use gmail since I can't access it everywhere (read: work), although I do have an account on gmail.

But that's a good idea to have a seperate account for that information. Thanks!

Minor 5.5.1 Bug Report

I'm seeing a small problem. I have a "Due for Deletion" filter, which finds caches in my database which have been disabled for a while. My practice has been to select this filter, and then use the Waypoints->Delete->All in Filter to delete these records. In 5.1, this worked fine.

In 5.5 (both .0 and .1, I believe... definitely in 5.5.1), it appears to work fine, and the filter appears to be cleared (after all, nothing matches it after the delete).

But if another filter is not set, or the current filter is not specifically cleared, the filter hangs around in a sort of stealth mode, generating "no records match filter" errors, and eventually, after some time has passed (my filter is date driven) matching records again.

So the filter isn't quite getting cleared out like it should after the deletion.

I've yet to register as I'm not sure it works well on my computer. I have a computer with two monitors and when I do things such as attempt to open a GPX file, the bottom half of the Load GPX/LOC file is not visible. It is there as I can tab through things I can't see. It's sort of like if you don't have a screen maximized but there are no scroll bars to see the rest.

I can post a picture when I get home if that would help.

I do not have the program spanning two screens, just one. I only have this problem on the computer with 2 monitors.

Also, if I register it, will I be able to used the registered version on my computer at work and home or will I have to decide which one is more important?

TIA

I usually "clear database before loading" when I add a new PQ. The corrected coordinates get added to the updated database but the user flags don't. Is there any way to have the user flags stick?

If you are clearing the database, no.

Minor 5.5.1 Bug Report

I'm seeing a small problem. I have a "Due for Deletion" filter, which finds caches in my database which have been disabled for a while. My practice has been to select this filter, and then use the Waypoints->Delete->All in Filter to delete these records. In 5.1, this worked fine.

In 5.5 (both .0 and .1, I believe... definitely in 5.5.1), it appears to work fine, and the filter appears to be cleared (after all, nothing matches it after the delete).

But if another filter is not set, or the current filter is not specifically cleared, the filter hangs around in a sort of stealth mode, generating "no records match filter" errors, and eventually, after some time has passed (my filter is date driven) matching records again.

So the filter isn't quite getting cleared out like it should after the deletion.

Hmm, I can't reproduce this.

What is the selection criteria for your "Due for Deletion" filter

the filter hangs around in a sort of stealth mode, generating "no records match filter"

When do you get this message? That is, what action do you take for this message to pop up.

I've yet to register as I'm not sure it works well on my computer. I have a computer with two monitors and when I do things such as attempt to open a GPX file, the bottom half of the Load GPX/LOC file is not visible. It is there as I can tab through things I can't see. It's sort of like if you don't have a screen maximized but there are no scroll bars to see the rest.

I can post a picture when I get home if that would help.

I do not have the program spanning two screens, just one. I only have this problem on the computer with 2 monitors.

Also, if I register it, will I be able to used the registered version on my computer at work and home or will I have to decide which one is more important?

TIA

Yes, please send me a PM with the picture.

On the registration issue please read this post

Minor 5.5.1 Bug Report

If I understand your post correctly I've noticed a similar 'thing' you describe when removing, say 1 cache from a large database (6000+).

What I've noticed is the HD activity lamp was still thrashing away and I put it down to the database re-indexing and sorting itself out. I didn't see this as a problem - just GSAK getting itself in order for the next number crinching demand I keep placing on it.

Just a thought .....

Minor 5.5.1 Bug Report

I'm seeing a small problem.  I have a "Due for Deletion" filter, which finds caches in my database which have been disabled for a while.  My practice has been to select this filter, and then use the Waypoints->Delete->All in Filter to delete these records.  In 5.1, this worked fine.

Hmm, I can't reproduce this.

What is the selection criteria for your "Due for Deletion" filter

the filter hangs around in a sort of stealth mode, generating "no records match filter"

When do you get this message? That is, what action do you take for this message to pop up.

The "Due for Deletion" filter is defined as follows:

Found status: Not Found, Exclude caches placed by you

Available status: Archived

Last Update GPX: Not during the last 30 days

I'll try to cause the problem, and note exactly when it occurs.. but one time is definitely after loading a folder of GPX/ZIP files. At the end of that process, either a "0 waypoints in filter" message occurs, or the "due for deletion" filter becomes set again. Obviously, the last requires at least a day to have passed....

Edited by RheS
Minor 5.5.1 Bug Report

I'm seeing a small problem.  I have a "Due for Deletion" filter, which finds caches in my database which have been disabled for a while.  My practice has been to select this filter, and then use the Waypoints->Delete->All in Filter to delete these records.  In 5.1, this worked fine.

If I understand your post correctly I've noticed a similar 'thing' you describe when removing, say 1 cache from a large database (6000+).

What I've noticed is the HD activity lamp was still thrashing away and I put it down to the database re-indexing and sorting itself out. I didn't see this as a problem - just GSAK getting itself in order for the next number crinching demand I keep placing on it.

Just a thought .....

I don't think that's what I'm seeing.... it wouldn't bother me if there was some kind of background processing from GSAK (or the Delphi database engine behind it).

Actually, I am running GSAK on a dual processor system, and I see very little multi-threading behavior from GSAK. I've been assuming that the Delphi runtime doesn't multi-thread much... which is too bad... GSAK pretty much goes non-responsive for a while when it's working on a large (say 50,000 records) database.

Encountered a small problem when sending waypoints to my Garmin Vista from GSAK:

I'm using the following string when I export waypoints:

%drop2-%typ1%con1%dif1%ter1%bug%notGC%code

Works: When I export to a Mapsource .mps file, and open it up in MapSource, the '-' character is there.

Works: When I export to a .gpx, and then open that .gpx file in MapSource, the '-' character is there.

Works: If I use MapSource to download the waypoints, the '-' character does show up in the GPSr.

Problem: If I use GSAK "Send Waypoints..." to download the waypoints to the Vista directly, the '-' character doesn't show up in the GPSr.

Is this a GPSBabel problem, a GSAK problem, or a known limitation in either?

Thanks

So I decided to pay for it even though Clyde and I can't figure out why I have the problems at home I'm having. (I looked at the settings with no luck, thanks for the idea Clyde).

I do have a suggestion. Would it be possible to make it so when you double click the dividers at the top of the columns, it minimizes the entire column to the slightly bigger than whatever the longest text in the column is. (This is a feature excel has and I use often and I think would be beneficial to GSAK.

Thanks for the consideration.

Encountered a small problem when sending waypoints to my Garmin Vista from GSAK:

Is this a GPSBabel problem, a GSAK problem, or a known limitation in either?

As far as I remember this is due to a fault inside the Garmin devices. Sometimes they show an error. Robert Lipe reconstructed GPSBabel to use strict Garmin protocol and removed the "-" sign.

I hope I declared it the right way.

Chris

Another question about the Get Mail function.

When I don't Get Mail from GSAK for a few days, and more than one copy of a certain PQ is waiting in my inbox, GSAK will download them both. It will then save them both, but since they both have the same file name, the one saved last will override the one saved first. I have checked the override and not the rename box, since I don't have use for old versions of the same PQs. Consequently, only a single saved version of a particular PQ will be loaded into GSAK.

What I'd like to know is: Does GSAK save the files in chronological order (oldest first), so older files will be overwritten by newer ones, and only newer ones will be loaded?

When I export the waypoints to my GPSr, is there a way I can only send the unfound waypoints? Do I setup a filter to do this ? Or do I have to delete from GSAK the found ones.

edit: figured it out, one of my filters (not yet found) wasn't working.

Edited by bigdog999