GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Okay, I'm blind... Where is the "Getmail" button????  This looks like a really cool feature, but I'm ****ed if I can find it.... :huh:

The getmail tool button is not automatically on your tool bar with the shipped version of GSAK. However, as with almost all menu options you can add it to your tool bar. Just right mouse click on your tool bar and select "Customize tool buttons"

If you would rather not use a Tool button this option can be accessed from the main menu via File=>Get Data via email

D'ohhhh... :huh: Thanks for the prompt reply Clyde! Gotta say, aside from my GPS and GC.com membership (PQs ya' know! :o ) GSAK is without a doubt the BEST investment I've made!!!!! :o

Yep, just make up a macro to do this that would go something like this

DATABASE Name="Near Home"

GETMAIL Settings="Near Home"

DATABASe Name="Far Away"

GETMAIL Settings="Far Away"

Just go into the GetMail dialog and save settings for "Near Home" and "Far Away" making sure to select the correct database for each and that the "Get files that match" is set to only get the correct files for each.

The other thing to watch would be the "Load" settings. Make sure the settings you are using here have been saved with the "Delete files loaded when finished" otherwise your GPX files will still load into both databases.

Clyde, that's exactly what I'm doing but only the first database is getting updated. I'm using Gmail, is it because of the POP3 quirk that you've documented there? When I run the macro, I can see GSAK retrieving the message headers and downloading the first sets of updates (which are fairly large), but then when it moves on to the other databases it just zips right through and doesn't even seem to download anything.

If it's the Gmail POP3 quirk, can you suggest a way around it? Most of my PQs are segregated by state, so one thought I had was to just set up a "scratch" database, use GETMAIL to load everything into it, then use filters and Copy Database to copy the updates into the individual databases. Any better ideas? :huh:

DATABASe Name="Far Away"

Just go into the GetMail dialog and save settings for "Near Home" and "Far Away" making sure to select the correct database for each and that the "Get files that match" is set to only get the correct files for each.

The other thing to watch would be the "Load" settings. Make sure the settings you are using here have been saved with the "Delete files loaded when finished" otherwise your GPX files will still load into both databases.

Clyde, that's exactly what I'm doing but only the first database is getting updated. I'm using Gmail, is it because of the POP3 quirk that you've documented there? When I run the macro, I can see GSAK retrieving the message headers and downloading the first sets of updates (which are fairly large), but then when it moves on to the other databases it just zips right through and doesn't even seem to download anything.

If it's the Gmail POP3 quirk, can you suggest a way around it? Most of my PQs are segregated by state, so one thought I had was to just set up a "scratch" database, use GETMAIL to load everything into it, then use filters and Copy Database to copy the updates into the individual databases. Any better ideas? :huh:

No, this scenario should work fine with gmail.

I can see GSAK retrieving the message headers and downloading the first sets of updates

The implication here is that your first GetMail settings for "Get files that match" are matching all your zip files. You must make sure that your settings for the first GetMail only match the zip files you want to load into that database. Then the settings for your second GetMail should only match the zip files you want to load into your second database (and so on).

Clyde my first ever feature request!! i hope its not allready been asked.

I am currently working my way through local Mystery caches and there are ones where i look at the log page and need to work out the clues at home and a number where they are really multi's and some more which require a mixtur of both.

Just like the corrected co ordinates system can we create our own new cache categories on the fly and use them to overide as in corrected co ords the cache type? whilst still updating the file from GPX downloads.

I can see GSAK retrieving the message headers and downloading the first sets of updates

The implication here is that your first GetMail settings for "Get files that match" are matching all your zip files. You must make sure that your settings for the first GetMail only match the zip files you want to load into that database. Then the settings for your second GetMail should only match the zip files you want to load into your second database (and so on).

My PQs were modified to have a state code (or another code for some special cases) at the start of the PQ name. So I can see the following in my Gmail inbox:

• [GEO] Pocket Query: IL-Northwest
  • [GEO] Pocket Query: IL-West Suburbs
  • [GEO] Pocket Query: IL-Chicago
  • [GEO] Pocket Query: DC-Door County
  • [GEO] Pocket Query: NJ-New Jersey

I can see GSAK download the first three files and apply the updates. As it does the next two, it zips right through and does nothing, and the last two files are still in my Gmail inbox when I'm done. I use separate sets of settings for each GETMAIL and check for "Subject Contains" [GEO] Pocket Query: IL- (for example).

This stuff is all at home so I can't verify anything right now. When I get home tonight, let me make sure (again) I didn't have a brain cramp and screw up some of my settings files or something. Perhaps you can just let this simmer in the back of your mind for the time being in case you can think of something else I might be doing wrong.

I can see GSAK download the first three files and apply the updates. As it does the next two, it zips right through and does nothing, and the last two files are still in my Gmail inbox when I'm done. I use separate sets of settings for each GETMAIL and check for "Subject Contains" [GEO] Pocket Query: IL- (for example).

Then the implication that the next two are not matching you selection criteria. Go to the GetMail dialog and select the settings for the other two. Check to make sure your criteria will match. Perhpas there is a spelling mistake or you have included an extra space.

Clyde my first ever feature request!! i hope its not allready been asked.

I am currently working my way through local Mystery caches and there are ones where i look at the log page and need to work out the clues at home and a number where they are really multi's and some more which require a mixtur of both.

Just like the corrected co ordinates system can we create our own new cache categories on the fly and use them to overide as in corrected co ords the cache type? whilst still updating the file from GPX downloads.

Right mouse click on the cache and select edit, then change the coordinates. these will remain until your next GPX download.

If you really need them as a new waypoint then just select add, click on the clone button and change as required (just add a number to the end of the waypoint code)

Okay, after a really slow start trying to figure out how a database works, I've been able to use GSAK for its most rudimentary functions.

I know this is a really easy function, but I can't seem to figure out how to sort my Found caches by the date I found them. :ph34r:

When I loaded my most recent Found PQ, it included one more cache than I've actually found. I want to see if I can figure out what happened.

TIA

Okay, after a really slow start trying to figure out how a database works, I've been able to use GSAK for its most rudimentary functions.

I know this is a really easy function, but I can't seem to figure out how to sort my Found caches by the date I found them. :ph34r:

When I loaded my most recent Found PQ, it included one more cache than I've actually found. I want to see if I can figure out what happened.

TIA

You can do this by ...

Selecting Tools/Options

Select 'Display' tab

Select 'Date Found by me'

Select OK

You should now see the 'Found by me' column in your grid. (Note: you can reposition this column to a location of your choice within the grid).

Then you can filter on your finds and click in the title area of the 'Found by me' to sort in date order.

HTH

Edited by Motley Crew

Thank you!

I still don't know how I'm going to find that extra cache, but at least I finally have my "Found" database in a more logical order. :D

There is a Locationless cache that has the wrong date on it. Can I change that?

TIA

Edit . . . Nevermind, I figured it out. :huh::ph34r: :ph34r:

Edited by idiosyncratic

Clyde,

I am wondering if there can be another feature added to give capability to do the getmail through a proxy. Doing all the other functions which utilize a browser for access work fine as the browser has the proxy info however, the getmail fails when the proxy is there on the work system.

Thanks again for the wonderful program and all the awesome updates!!!!

i love gsak almost as much as i love oxygen. in order to use it i have to be at work because i'm a mac user.

can you please make a version that works with mac? i've seen a buncha people who would like this.

please?

PLEASE?

What's the best way to manage waypoints which aren't cache (GCxxxx) waypoints ?

I own several multi and mystery caches. In my database called "Mine" I have all the GCxxxx waypoints, but also the parking spot and each intermediate stage. When I send them to my GPS, they all get a "cache" icon, which isn't what I want (let's say I want a dot).

I can see a couple of possibilities:

1) Every time I send this database to the GPS, first send all of the WPs; then set a filter to exclude the real caches, and send the rest with "All Waypoints = Dot".

2) Set the "Corrected coordinates" flag (without actually changing the coordinates), then use "Corrected coordinates = Dot". But since I don't want to use this icon for "To find" caches which happen to have corrected coordinates, I'll have to reset this attribute when I send WPs from my "To find" database.

Actually I'd like to be able to associate an icon with an individual waypoint directly! Another improvement would be for the "Send to GPS" parameters to be different per database.

Clyde,

I am wondering if there can be another feature added to give capability to do the getmail through a proxy. Doing all the other functions which utilize a browser for access work fine as the browser has the proxy info however, the getmail fails when the proxy is there on the work system.

Thanks again for the wonderful program and all the awesome updates!!!!

I will add this one to "this list"

i love gsak almost as much as i love oxygen. in order to use it i have to be at work because i'm a mac user.

can you please make a version that works with mac? i've seen a buncha people who would like this.

please?

PLEASE?

Sorry, GSAK is written in Dephi and Delphi is not available on the Mac.

However, GSAK will run on the Mac using "Virtual PC" (but USB to the Garmin GPS will not work)

What's the best way to manage waypoints which aren't cache (GCxxxx) waypoints ?

I own several multi and mystery caches. In my database called "Mine" I have all the GCxxxx waypoints, but also the parking spot and each intermediate stage. When I send them to my GPS, they all get a "cache" icon, which isn't what I want (let's say I want a dot).

I can see a couple of possibilities:

1) Every time I send this database to the GPS, first send all of the WPs; then set a filter to exclude the real caches, and send the rest with "All Waypoints = Dot".

2) Set the "Corrected coordinates" flag (without actually changing the coordinates), then use "Corrected coordinates = Dot". But since I don't want to use this icon for "To find" caches which happen to have corrected coordinates, I'll have to reset this attribute when I send WPs from my "To find" database.

Actually I'd like to be able to associate an icon with an individual waypoint directly! Another improvement would be for the "Send to GPS" parameters to be different per database.

Non GCxxxx waypoints have the cache type of other.

You can allocate what ever icon you like to the cache type of other.

When you send to your GPS GSAK allows for settings, this in effect does allow you to have different settings for each database.

please?

PLEASE?

However, GSAK will run on the Mac using "Virtual PC" (but USB to the Garmin GPS will not work)

would it be possible to export the waypoints to, say, a generic .gpx or .loc file that will open on another piece of software that will talk to my mac?

i really just need gsak to talk to my palm directly.

wait... i need it to download the little icon thingies, too.

why? beccause gsak has spoiled me and now i'm afraid we can't be friends.

please?

PLEASE?

would it be possible to export the waypoints to, say, a generic .gpx or .loc file that will open on another piece of software that will talk to my mac?

i really just need gsak to talk to my palm directly.

wait... i need it to download the little icon thingies, too.

why? beccause gsak has spoiled me and now i'm afraid we can't be friends.

GSAK can export to GPX files which are just standard XML

Any software written for the Mac that can read this XML will work with the GPX files generated by GSAK

Clyde.

I am new to GSAK so, question is the new Magellan Explorist series such as the 600 compatible?

Smokey

The eXplorists series are very new. GPSBabel and hence GSAK should have comprehensive support for these in the future, however you can get waypoints to them now via GSAK using the work around described here which is also noted in the GSAK FAQ in the help file and online.

Originally GSAK would not send waypoints to my GPSr. I got them to go by changing the com port to com3. Today I downloaded the update of GSAK. Tonight I tried to send some waypoints and they would not go. Checked settings, and it was still on com3. Tried com2, no luck. Tried com 1 and they went.

Why would the port change?

Non GCxxxx waypoints have the cache type of other.

You can allocate what ever icon you like to the cache type of other.

When you send to your GPS GSAK allows for settings, this in effect does allow you to have different settings for each database.

Thanks Clyde.

It would still be nice to be able to specify different "Others" for waypoints. Even a simple number between 0 and 255 would be very useful. B)

OK I still love this program and feel Clyde does an amazing job handling all of our queries about his Uber-Program. I also am glad to see more of us GSAK vetrans are stepping up to the plate and handling more of the questions from those still learning the immensity of GSAK. To any of those out there who have or are still playing with GSAK and a Mag315, I have a question that I have been unable to resolve.

1) Does anyone else have GSAK give an error when sending waypoints to GPSr and using 'clear GPS before sending'? It will create the file, clear the GPS, then kick out a MAGPROTO error. It seems to corrospond with getting feedback from the GPS that it is clear. When I check it has indeed cleared and if I then resend to GPS with the 'clear' box now unticked it goes smoothly. This used to work fine but hasn't lately. Basicly anytime I try to use the 'clear GPS...' I get an error back, anyone found a solution for this or am I the only one experiencing it?

We don't hear a lot from 315 users and I doubt the combination of "nuke" and a 315 is a road heavily travelled.. (Yes, the suboption that GSAK passes to GPSBabel to vaporize the waypoints in a magellan really is called 'nukewpt' - that GPSBabel guy is a hoot!)

The Magellan protocol spec shows that the underlying command to the firmware is supported on the 315. I do remember the 315 being really slow on some commands and returning acknowledgements out of order. Maybe this is some kind of weird timing thing.

If you do the upload twice in a row, both with the nuke option, does the second one work? (Looking for delays while it clears the database.)

If you upload nothing at all, do you get the error? (Looking for out of order acks.)

If that fails, you should turn on protocol debugging for a short transfer that fails (it'll have lots of '$PMGNCMD' and '$PMGNWPT' looking stuff to the GPSBabel guy using the directions in the GSAK FAQ.

Is it normal for GSAK (an excellent programme) to take a while to close. I seem to have to wait for several seconds, and when the PDA is hotsyncing it doesn't close at all.

Also, on this current version, I can get the mail okay, but it saves it in the zipped form. How can I get it to save in the unzipped format? My macro almost makes live effortless B) .

Thanks

Defaults to C:\

When I click on the open GPX/LOC Icon, it brings up the Load GPX/LOC menu. I select the folder and the file I'm going to upload. GSAK brings it in without a problem. Yet, when I go back to select a different GPX file to load, the file directory has defaulted back to C:\. I keep the different files I want under C:\Geocaching waypoints\. The older versions would default to the last folder that you loaded and not C:\. Is there a setting I'm missing to change this? Thanks

Is it possible to add custom icons on the Macro buttons. I have set up a couple macros and sure I know what they are but I was hoping I could add a custom icon to them instead of just showing M1 or M2?

You can't change the icon, but you can change the text of each button.

Each button allows you to have a 3 letter acronym allocated to it as well as a longer popup hint. To change these go to Macro=>Button Configuration...

Is it normal for GSAK (an excellent programme) to take a while to close.  I seem to have to wait for several seconds, and when the PDA is hotsyncing it doesn't close at all.

The default option shipped with GSAK is to take a backup or all your databases and settings every time you exit. You can disable this or change the frequency via Tools=>Options=>General

Virus software that uses "real time scanning/protection" can also have an adverse effect on the performance of GSAK, please see this post

Also, on this current version, I can get the mail okay, but it saves it in the zipped form.  How can I get it to save in the unzipped format?  My macro almost makes live effortless :) .

Grounspeak PQs give you the option to have the GPX fles zipped or not. If you select the zipped option, GSAK can load zip files so there is no need to unzip them.

Defaults to C:\

When I click on the open GPX/LOC Icon, it brings up the Load GPX/LOC menu. I select the folder and the file I'm going to upload. GSAK brings it in without a problem. Yet, when I go back to select a different GPX file to load, the file directory has defaulted back to C:\. I keep the different files I want under C:\Geocaching waypoints\. The older versions would default to the last folder that you loaded and not C:\. Is there a setting I'm missing to change this? Thanks

Hmm, I generated a folder "c:\Geocaching waypoints" on my computer and could not replicate this problem.

Perhaps there is some extra step you are doing that we are not aware of that is causing this.

Just in case it is a corrupt setting of some sort, could you please try deleting the file "settings.ini" (you will find this file in the folder with the same name as your database which is located in you data store as per your settings Tools=>Options=>General")

If you still have the problem, please do "Tools=>Options=>Send debug info to Clyde" and email me the tracking number together with the exact steps you are taking to get this problem. With your settings and the steps used I should be able to replicate the problem and track it down.

Hi...just registered GSAK yesterday...love it. I had a simple question, though.

When unsing the pront dialogue to print (condensed HTML) is it possibel to display the terrain and difficulty "stars"? I'd love to use this feature to print for my treks, just thought adding the "stars" may be a nice addition.

Thanks!

Hi...just registered GSAK yesterday...love it. I had a simple question, though.

When unsing the pront dialogue to print (condensed HTML) is it possibel to display the terrain and difficulty "stars"? I'd love to use this feature to print for my treks, just thought adding the "stars" may be a nice addition.

Thanks!

Please see this post

Hi...just registered GSAK yesterday...love it.  I had a simple question, though.

When unsing the pront dialogue to print (condensed HTML) is it possibel to display the terrain and difficulty "stars"?  I'd love to use this feature to print for my treks, just thought adding the "stars" may be a nice addition.

Thanks!

yes -

Tools/Options/HTML

check the description -

add the last part to make it look like this -

%Name by %by (%dif/%ter)

doesn't give you stars -- looks like this Cache 7 by Joe (4/3)

cc\

Edited by CompuCash

Clyde - GSAK's new email feature is great. Works fast and saves several steps over the old manual process.

I still have to run the old manual process once in a while though because I don't know when some of my pocket queries will return the gc.com-imposed maximum of 500 records. I can only find out when that happens by importing the zip files one by one manually and looking at the report GSAK generates after each manual import.

Would it be possible to include a short report at the end of the email import process that gave the query and/or file name along with the number of records imported from each? What I have in mind of is basically the same information that is given at the end of each manual import along with some way to identify the query involved, but providing the information in a single summary for all the "automatically" imported files at the end of the import process.

With that feature, I could quickly view the report and determine if any of my queries need to be changed.

Jon

Clyde - GSAK's new email feature is great. Works fast and saves several steps over the old manual process.

I still have to run the old manual process once in a while though because I don't know when some of my pocket queries will return the gc.com-imposed maximum of 500 records. I can only find out when that happens by importing the zip files one by one manually and looking at the report GSAK generates after each manual import.

Would it be possible to include a short report at the end of the email import process that gave the query and/or file name along with the number of records imported from each? What I have in mind of is basically the same information that is given at the end of each manual import along with some way to identify the query involved, but providing the information in a single summary for all the "automatically" imported files at the end of the import process.

With that feature, I could quickly view the report and determine if any of my queries need to be changed.

Jon

You can do this now with the help of the macro language.

From memory, some of the beta testers actaully wrote macros to do exactly that. Hopefully they are reading this thread and might like to contact you with their versions of the macro.

As per a previous post, I will soon add a macro page on my web site where you can view/download user contributed macros.

You can do this now with the help of the macro language.

From memory, some of the beta testers actaully wrote macros to do exactly that. Hopefully they are reading this thread and might like to contact you with their versions of the macro.

As per a previous post, I will soon add a macro page on my web site where you can view/download user contributed macros.

Clyde's memory is good :)

Here's a macro I use to do the sort of thing you are asking. On the 1st run through it will ask you to input a few parameters which is saves so hopefully you shouldn't have to enter them again. I can't guarantee this will work on your system - a few tweeks might be required :D

Editted to add: I'm not a programmer and I've no doubt there are easier ways to accomplish this but it works for me :D.

Editted again: to add revised code below - I spotted an small error and some superfluous lines of code have been removed. (The error would only have caused the macro to exit if you typed in a wrong path).

#################################################################################################
#
# This macro will check the contents of a single or multiple PQ's to see if it is approaching 
# or has reached the magic 500. 
#
# It asks the user where their GPX Files are located and stores this in a file GPX FILES PATH.dat
# in the "\Macros\Data" folder. It generates a batch file which is also stored in the 
# "\Macros\Data" folder.
#
# The batch file generates a directory listing "dir.txt" of the files in the users GPX File 
# folder.
#
# It requires a 'Test Load Zip' setting in the 'Load GPX/Loc File' dialog. Tick the following
# only - Load Files, Clear Database before loading, Database update options = Always
# Found Status = Never, Database = Count. Save these settings as 'Test Load Zip'.
#
#################################################################################################

# Set up the Macro\Data\ folder. WINNT is for Windows 2000, change to 
# match your system.
SET $MacroDataPath=$_Install + "\Macros\Data\"
IF .NOT. (FolderExists($MacroDataPath))
RUNPGM Pgm="C:\WINNT\System32\cmd.exe" Parms= /C mkdir "$MacroDataPath" wait=YES
ENDIF

# Check to see if user data file "GPX FILES PATH.dat" exists, if not create it.
SET $GPXPath="C:\abcdefgh\"
IF .NOT. (FileExists($GPXPath))
SET $DataPath=$_Install + "\Macros\Data\GPX FILES PATH.dat"
   IF (FileExists($DataPath))
      SET $GPXPath=GETFILE($DataPath)
IF Left($GPXPath, 7) = "*Error*"
 CANCEL Msg="$GPXPath"
       ENDIF
   ENDIF

# Ask user for the folder that holds their GPX files and store the path in $GPXPath
   WHILE .NOT. (FolderExists($GPXPath))
 INPUT Msg="Enter the complete path including the drive, folder/s and a trailing \ that contains your GPX Files. e.g. C:\Downloads\Pocket Queries\ " Default="" VarName=$GPXPath
 IF .NOT. (FolderExists($GPXPath))
   	SET$Error="The path/folder "+$GPXPath +" cannot found. Check the path and try again."
 	Pause Msg="$Error"
 ENDIF
    SET $Error=PUTFILE($DataPath, $GPXPath)
    IF Left($Error, 7) = "*Error*"
           PAUSE Msg = "$Error"
 ENDIF
   ENDWHILE
ENDIF

# Check to see if 'Dir.bat' file exists, if not create it.
IF .NOT. (FileExists($_Install+ "\Macros\Data\Dir.bat"))
SET $Error = PUTFILE($_Install + "\Macros\Data\Dir.bat","@ Echo off" + $_Newline+"CD " + $GPXPath + $_Newline + "dir /b *.zip > dir.txt"+$_Newline+"exit"+$_Newline) 
IF Left($Error, 7) = "*Error*"
 PAUSE Msg = "$Error"
ENDIF
ENDIF

# Create a file list of the files in the users GPX File folder. WINNT is for Windows 2000, change to
# match your system.

RUNPGM pgm="C:\WINNT\System32\cmd.exe" Parms= /C "$_Install\Macros\Data\Dir.bat" wait=YES

# Read the 'dir.txt' file containing the PQ's
SET $Data=GetFile($GPXPath+"dir.txt")
IF Left($Data,7) = "*Error*"
Pause Msg="There are no files to load.$_NewLine$_NewLineThis macro will now abort."
Cancel
ENDIF

# Setup the text for the report
SET $var1="There are "
SET $var2=" records in the file "
SET $message1=""

# Check if 'Count' database exists, if not create it
SET $CountDatabase="Count"
IF .NOT. (DataBaseExists($CountDatabase))
Database Name="Count" action=Create
ENDIF

# Select the 'Count' database
Database Name="Count" action=Select
SET $DataLength=Len($Data)
WHILE .not.($DataLength=0)
SET $a=AT($_Newline, $Data)
SET $FileName=Left($Data, ($a-1))
SET $File=$GPXPath+$Filename
LOAD file="$File" settings="Test Load Zip"
SET $count="$_Count"
SET $message1=$message1+$var1+$count+$var2+$Filename+$_NewLine	
Set $Data=SubStr($Data, ($a+2), ($Datalength-$a))
SET $DataLength=Len($Data)
ENDWHILE
Pause Msg="$message1"

# You can now run a macro to load the GPX files you've just checked.
# MACRO File="path\file"

Edited by Motley Crew
We don't hear a lot from 315 users

That's because the 315 rules and has few issues...LOL

If you do the upload twice in a row, both with the nuke option, does the second one work?  (Looking for delays while it clears the database.)

Yes I get an error the second & third time also. Turn off the "nuke" and it loads fine.

If you upload nothing at all, do you get the error?  (Looking for out of order acks.)

If that fails, you should turn on protocol debugging for a short  transfer that fails (it'll have lots of '$PMGNCMD' and '$PMGNWPT' looking stuff to the GPSBabel guy using the directions in the GSAK FAQ.

I didn't have the the time to try this yet, as I was heading out the door and wanted to at least get something back to you before leaving. I will still try these last two things, when I get back. Thanks again 'Babel Guy' for the fast responce & all your work. :unsure:

Yikes! The new upgrade changes to the microsoft streets and trips (csv) export, prevents me from editing in excel. The problem is all the information is in one column. It was broken down in columns by the commas. My real problem is I have a Lowrance GPS and there is no export for .usr foremat. I would have to export to excel in .csv then edit the http out and rearrange the columns. Then open with notepad and add a space after the commas. Then I could import from from Lowrance GDM6 and save as a .usr. Sounds complicated but it worked. Need help :unsure:

Yikes! The new upgrade changes to the microsoft streets and trips (csv) export, prevents me from editing in excel. The problem is all the information is in one column. It was broken down in columns by the commas. My real problem is I have a Lowrance GPS and there is no export for .usr foremat. I would have to export to excel in .csv then edit the http out and rearrange the columns. Then open with notepad and add a space after the commas. Then I could import from from Lowrance GDM6 and save as a .usr. Sounds complicated but it worked. Need help  :unsure:

Please see Clyde's response in this post, Xangxa's links to the directions in this post, plus Robert Lipe's elaboration on why GPSBabel was changed in this post.

Bottom line is that you'll need to create a custom export to get the format you want. On the bright side, you should be able to create a custom export that eliminates all or most of the manual editing you've been doing!

I've been playing with icons for sending cache waypoints, and by combining "Other" and "Placed", I can do most of what I want.

However, I don't know what to select to get my 60cs to use the built-in red, green, and blue flag icons. There's an icon called "Flag" in the drop-down list, but this becomes a dot on the GPSr. Do I need to set up something magic for the drop-down list to correspond to the complete set of icons in the 60cs ?

Thanks

Nick

I've been playing with icons for sending cache waypoints, and by combining "Other" and "Placed", I can do most of what I want.

However, I don't know what to select to get my 60cs to use the built-in red, green, and blue flag icons.  There's an icon called "Flag" in the drop-down list, but this becomes a dot on the GPSr.  Do I need to set up something magic for the drop-down list to correspond to the complete set of icons in the 60cs ?

Thanks

Nick

Check out the help file for Custom Icons, snippet below.

Custom Icons

You can add custom icons to send down to your GPSr or mapping software if they support it. You can also use this feature if there is some icon symbol missing from the defaults provided by GSAK. <snip>

Yikes! The new upgrade changes to the microsoft streets and trips (csv) export, prevents me from editing in excel. The problem is all the information is in one column. It was broken down in columns by the commas. My real problem is I have a Lowrance GPS and there is no export for .usr foremat. I would have to export to excel in .csv then edit

Well, the S&T format is meant for S&T not Excel. But I'd be suprised if Excel can't import tab-separated data anyway.

And how is all this any easier than using GPSBabel's native '.usr' format, anyway?

And how is all  this any easier than using GPSBabel's native '.usr'  format, anyway?

This worked fine for me. I was helping a friend who has an iFinderH20 and was able to convert directly from GPX to USR and copy it directly onto the memory card without using GDM6 at all.

DATABASe Name="Far Away"

If it's the Gmail POP3 quirk, can you suggest a way around it? Most of my PQs are segregated by state, so one thought I had was to just set up a "scratch" database, use GETMAIL to load everything into it, then use filters and Copy Database to copy the updates into the individual databases. Any better ideas? :blink:

No, this scenario should work fine with gmail.

I am utterly befuddled. I'm sure this will turn out to be something incredibly stupid on my part. Here's what's in my GMail inbox when I start:

GMailinboxbeforeGetmail.jpg

Here are my "Illinois" getmail settings:

ILGetmailSettings.jpg

And when the macro executes, I see this during the GETMAIL command:

GettingIllinois.jpg

I can see the E-mail header and status appear for each of the e-mail messages that has the "IL-" tag in the subject header, and GSAK applies the updates after downloading all of them.

Here are my "MyFinds" getmail settings:

XXGetmailSettings.jpg

And here's what I see during the GETMAIL for that:

GettingMyFinds.jpg

I never see a message header show up in the status line of the Getmail window.

When I'm all done, the IL messages are gone from my GMail inbox, but the others remain:

GMailinboxafterGetmail.jpg

I have carefully counted spaces in the search strings in the GETMAIL settings, and I have carefully checked the subject headers on the e-mail messages, and I'm just not seeing anything that doesn't seem right.

But I can't even manually GETMAIL on anything except the IL files, either. I have exited and restarted GSAK, exited and re-entered GMail, reset my POP3 settings in GMail, all to no avail. Nothing except the IL files will load. And even if I move the IL files back to my inbox, mark them unread, and reset my POP3 settings in GMail, I can't re-load them through GETMAIL either.

You are welcome to laugh at me publicly if you find some stupid flaw in what I'm doing. :unsure:

I have carefully counted spaces in the search strings in the GETMAIL settings, and I have carefully checked the subject headers on the e-mail messages, and I'm just not seeing anything that doesn't seem right.

But I can't even manually GETMAIL on anything except the IL files, either. I have exited and restarted GSAK, exited and re-entered GMail, reset my POP3 settings in GMail, all to no avail. Nothing except the IL files will load. And even if I move the IL files back to my inbox, mark them unread, and reset my POP3 settings in GMail, I can't re-load them through GETMAIL either.

You are welcome to laugh at me publicly if you find some stupid flaw in what I'm doing. 

I can see the problem but no need for laughing as your issue is a subtle one.

Your problem in this scenario is that you have checked the GSAK option "Only check new messages"

This does make for faster running of the Get mail feature, but you must realize that any messages that are not matched on your inital download will now never be read.

You have 2 options here:

1. Uncheck the "only check new messages". This will work for you right now, but will become slow if you have a large number of messages in your gmail account

2. Change your matching criteria to download all [geo] files and uncheck the load option. Now load the files individually to the correct databases, or put the whole lot in a macro using LOAD commands to automaticaally select the required database and load the correct flile(s) to that database

Edited by ClydeE

Well, I don't see anything wrong with them, but I've seen funky behavior with GMail as well. Nothing I've ever been able to isolate, but it just seems to sometimes miss files or say they're downloading but never actually appear. I think it's likely due to GMail's weird POP support, and again, I've never been able to reproduce it so I can't be sure.

That said, it would be real simple to use a macro to get all your PQs with one GETMAIL and then import them to the correct databases. Here's what I use for a similar purpose:

GETMAIL settings="Gmail" onerror=Prompt
DATABASE Name="Found Caches" Action=Select
LOAD Settings="Found Caches" Database="Found Caches"
DATABASE Name="Default" Action=Select
LOAD Settings="Standard Load" Database="Default"

The GETMAIL gets all PQs but doesn't import any of them. The first LOAD uses saved settings to only import my "Found" PQ into the correct database, then the next LOAD imports all the rest of the PQs into my main database.

Edit: Yeah, what Clyde said.

Edited by Pasha

your probem is probably caused by the fact that your 'Get files that match' setting is set to [Geo] Pocket Query: Il -

GSAK will only match those files with '[Geo] Pocket Query: Il -

I see you also have 'XX-' and a few others! in your in box. Changing your query to [Geo] Pocket Query: should download them all. If you want to drop them into specific folders than bit more effoert will be required.

I may be wrong here, it's 02:20am here in the UK :unsure:

Edited to add: Doh, after all that Clyde has come in with the definitive answer :blink:

Edited by Motley Crew