GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

With version 5.1.x and before, a export to MS Streets & Trips csv, generated this:

Name,Latitude,Longitude,Name 2,URL,Type
GC101C,41.628483,-83.193183,T Watch out for the bird poop! by Joe & Nicki (1/1),file:\\c:\data\geocaching\html\cache\2953.htm,
GC111B,37.962067,-85.975617,T BRIDGES TO THE PAST by Show Me The Cache (2/3),file:\\c:\data\geocaching\html\cache\468.htm,
GC115C,39.642217,-87.180983,T Blasta from the Pasta by Cisu (1.5/1.5),file:\\c:\data\geocaching\html\cache\304.htm,
GC119D,39.049683,-84.541367,T Falcons Nest by Falcon1 (1.5/1.5),file:\\c:\data\geocaching\html\cache\933.htm,

Now with version 5.5.0 (Build 10), the same export generates this:

Name	Latitude	Longitude	Description	URL	Type	Container	Diff	Terr
GC111B	37.962067	-85.975617	T BRIDGES TO THE PAST by Show Me The Cache (2/3)	file:\\c:\data\geocaching\html\cache\2611.htm	Traditional cache	Regular	2.0	3.0
GC115C	39.642217	-87.180983	T Blasta from the Pasta by Cisu (1.5/1.5)	file:\\c:\data\geocaching\html\cache\1288.htm	Traditional cache	Regular	1.5	1.5
GC119D	39.049683	-84.541367	T Falcons Nest by Falcon1 (1.5/1.5)	file:\\c:\data\geocaching\html\cache\2929.htm	Traditional cache	Regular	1.5	1.5

I don't recall changing any settings or configurations.

Questions:

1.  Is there a way to get the comma delimited format back?

2.  Is there a configuration that will return heading for the fourth field to 'Name 2'?  I realize that I can manually do that when I import the data into S&T, but that is one more thing to change in a process that is already too manual.

GSAK is a great product and I appreciate the new features.  However, backwards compatibility to the previous methods would be great for those of us that have add-on processes that use data generated by GSAK.  (I'd love to have a way to generate the HTML pages with the waypoint name again.)

Thanks.

The Streets and Trips generation is actaully done by GPSBabel "under the hood" of GSAK. GPSBabel made cahnges to enhance this format and the tabs repalced commas becuase there were issues with commas being inside the data.

However, if you want to go back to the exact same format as before you can do so by using the "custom export" option and running GPSBabel with a style file that generates the CSV file the way you want it.

Though I do not recommend it, you could also just replace the GPSBabel.exe file in the install fodler of GSAK with the older version of GPSBabel shipped with GSAK 5.1.4

Edited by ClydeE
I searched for this question but I don't see it.

I load pq's in once a week. I just add them over the old ones. However, if a cache is archived on geocaching.com, I seem to still show it as active, and even try to find them. How do I get the updated Archived status to come over from geocaching.com? 

Currently I just erase the entire database and start over with a current pq. Kinda defeats the purpose of building the database.

Oh, maybe it's a geocaching.com question...oops. ;)

This one is a thorn in the side of many users that like to keep an updated version of the information offline.

The crux of the problem and bottom line is that archived (not to be confused with temporarily unavailable which are provided) caches are never provided when you get a PQ from Groundspeak

There have been several discussions about this in the forums.

For a discussion on how to work around this problem in GSAK (without having to delete you database every time) please see this post

Edited by ClydeE
1.  Is there a way to get the comma delimited format back?

2.  Is there a configuration that will return heading for the fourth field to 'Name 2'?

You coud do a custom export /File /Export /Custom Export

One of the options of GPSBabel is a custom CSV or XCSV format. I did this once, but it was a long time ago, and the details are hazy. But you can find those details in the GPSBabel documentaion on their website: http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net/readme.html

I'm curious. What add-on are you using with MSST that's incompatible? I didn't even realize there were MSST add-ons and I'd like to learn more.

I'm sorry to hear that the new MSST export isn't working for you. I didn't have to change a thing for it to work for me, and the extra fields are nice to have handy.

Edited by Xangxa

As mentioned, you can roll your own export format and get precise contro. Since the separator character is guessed by S&T and doesn't require manual intervention and I don't know that the header names are used by S&T; they merely appear in the balloons, I'd want to understand why this change is being requested.

The comma to tab thing was done to make it work for users of 'Autoroute' which is what S&T is called in Europe and other countries where a comma is used for the decimal separator. Since those copies format "one and a half" and "1,5", using commas as the field separators gave them fits.

In the instructions below, on dealing with archived caches, I am confused about what "last update column" #2 and #5 are referring to. The only "last" columns I could find to display are: Last Found Date, Last Log Date, Last User update, and the Last GPX Update. Since in #6, I am comparing to Last GPX Update, eliminate that. "Last Found" seems irrelevant. "Last User Update" is blank in my database. and ALL the logs in "Last Log Date" are earlier than "Last GPX Update".

What am I not understanding?

Thanks.

---------------------------

1. If you haven't already done so add the archive status column to your current grid view (Tools=>Options=>Display)*

2. If you haven't already done so add the last update date to your current view*

3. Make sure you have the split screen view showing

4. Load you most recent GPX file(s)

5. Click on the last update column heading to sort in ascending last update sequence

6. If your settings are such that you are not at the first waypoint in the grid view (Tools=>Options=General "Move to first column after column sequence change") then navigate to the first waypoint.

6. The waypoints that have a last update which is earlier than the GPX updated waypoints are suspect are now the first few waypoints in your grid view.

7. When you click on the first waypoint the offline details will display in the split screen view below - now click on the "click here for latest info" link on the first line of the split screen view. This will now show the current online status for the cache and you can immediately tell that it has actually been archived or not.

8. If (as is in most cases) the cache is archived, then just double mouse click on the archive column in the grid (the double mouse click toggles the archive status of a cache)

9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 for subsequent caches up intil the first cahce that has a last updte equal to the GPX file load.

Your database will now reflect the true status and you can filter out archived caches accordingly

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...0entry1096907

In the instructions below, on dealing with archived caches, I am confused about what "last update column" #2 and #5 are referring to.  The only "last" columns I could find to display are: Last Found Date, Last Log Date, Last User update, and the Last GPX Update.  Since in #6, I am comparing to Last GPX Update, eliminate that.  "Last Found" seems irrelevant.  "Last User Update" is blank in my database. and ALL the logs in "Last Log Date" are earlier than "Last GPX Update".

What am I not understanding?

I think we're talking Last GPX update. That column shows the date of the last time the record was updated by importing a gpx file. The logic goes like this:

I ask for PQs of the 500 closest caches I haven't found in my zip. Import into my existing database. Filter out my founds, anything known to be archived, etc. that doesn't belong in a list of things I want to look for.

Now sorting by last gpx update will put everything just updated at the end of your list. Anything with a date earlier than the just-completed update is a suspect that you need to determine why it wasn't included in that imported PQ. One reason is that it has been archived, and you will need to check it online to see. The usual other reason I have is that at one time it was one of my 500 closest not-yet-founds, but with the addition of more newly-placed caches it is no longer in the 500 closest.

Edited by embra

No, I don't think so..... #6 says we are comparing to "Last GPX Update". Exactly what column, referred to in #2 and #5 are we supposed to compare "Last GPX Update"? In my database of 500 waypoints, they are ALL earlier than "Last GPX Update. This makes sense since my "Last GPX Update" is Today.

on edit: UNLESS, and I may finally be getting it here, we are comparing ONLY the dates in the "Last GPX Update" column to each other. Then any with dates in this column earlier than today's update did not get updated and this makes them suspect of having been archived.

I think I get it............. Do I?

I think we're talking Last GPX update

Edited by Cheminer Will
on edit:  UNLESS, and I may finally be getting it here, we are comparing ONLY the dates in the "Last GPX Update" column to each other.  Then any with dates in this column earlier than today's update did not get updated and this makes them suspect of having been archived.

I think I get it.............  Do I?

Yes, you do - we are comparing the "last GPX" update dates to each other - if all of your dates in that column are equal to the date of your last GPX download (e.g. today), then you have no suspect caches in the database. Any that are older than the last GPX were not updated, which means you need to check them online to see if they were archived (or if they've just fallen out of your PQ because new caches have been added).

PS - Step 8 above is outdated, since GSAK now has a three way toggle for available\temporarily unavailable\archived. Instead of double clicking the archive column, right click on the waypoint, choose "Cache Status" and "set to archived" (another enhancement in the latest update from Clyde!).

Edit: typos...

Edited by Kai Team

By the way, you can create and save a filter to do the legwork for you.

Click on the the filter button (magnifying glass over a sheet of paper) and do the following:

1) On the "General" tab:

a) Uncheck "found" (leave "not found" and "exclude caches placed by you" checked).

b ) Under "Available Status" uncheck "Archived" and "Temporarily Unavailable" (leave "Available" checked).

2) On the "Dates" tab:

a) Set "Last Update GPX" to "Not During" and (if you get your PQ weekly) "The Last" 7 "Days" (if you get PQ's more or less often, adjust the timeframe accordingly).

3) Click "Save" and give the filter a name (I call mine "review for archive").

Whenever you want to check for archived caches, select this saved filter, sort on the "last GPX" column and you're ready to start checking caches online!

Edit: get b ) to stop turning into a smiley! :D

Edited by Kai Team

FILTERS

I am trying to make a filter to just list 100 caches from whatever centerpoint is currently active.

I can easily do caches within a certain distance and get results, but I am looking to list just the closest 100 caches from chosen a center point. How do I define the 100 cache limit?

User flags are your friend. Set your centerpoint. Press F7 to clear all User Flags. Go to the User Flag menu and choose Set for Next nn Records. Enter the number of caches you want. Filter using the built-in or user created "user flag=set" filter. Voila.

User flags are your friend. Set your centerpoint. Press F7 to clear all User Flags. Go to the User Flag menu and choose Set for Next nn Records. Enter the number of caches you want. Filter using the built-in or user created "user flag=set" filter. Voila.

That works, but since my filter eliminates found, archived and Temp Unavailable it narrows it down to about 46 or so. Now the more found I have the smaller the list will be.

Anyway to set it so I can gett 100 unfound, unarchived, and available cache list?

User flags are your friend.  Set your centerpoint.  Press F7 to clear all User Flags. Go to the User Flag menu and choose Set for Next nn Records.  Enter the number of caches you want.  Filter using the built-in or user created "user flag=set" filter.  Voila.

That works, but since my filter eliminates found, archived and Temp Unavailable it narrows it down to about 46 or so. Now the more found I have the smaller the list will be.

Anyway to set it so I can gett 100 unfound, unarchived, and available cache list?

Filter on your 'Unfound' caches first then apply Pasha's solution. You hopefully will then end up with 100 unfound around your centre point.

Edited to add:

When you filter for your 'Unfounds' make sure you select:

1. 'Available' in Available Status

2. 'Not Found' + 'Exclude Caches Placed By You' in Found Status.

Edited by Motley Crew
I am looking for some help in creating a macro that will locate the file created by cachemate after logging finds then will use the new GSAK ability to load cachemate files for logging.

On my Palm the CacheMate dB is called 'Motley Crew'

For my system I've found the relevant CacheMate pdb file is located here:

D:\Program Files\Palm\Keith\Backup\Motley_CrewItems-cMat.pdb

I have a CacheMate 'Category' called 'ToBeLogged' which is where 'found' caches got to.

In GSAK I run this macro:

RUNPGM Pgm="D:\Program Files\GSAK\macros\data\CacheMate2gpx.bat" wait=YES
Database Name="test" action=Select
USERFLAG type=clear range=all
#PAUSE MSG="USER FLAG CLEAR?"
CACHEMATE Settings="CacheMate Found"

The CacheMate2GPX.bat file is:

copy "D:\Program Files\Palm\Keith\Backup\Motley_CrewItems-cMat.pdb" "D:\cm2gpx-1.0.2\ToBeLogged.pdb"
CD D:\cm2gpx-1.0.2\
cm2gpx -C ToBeLogged -e -o "D:\GPX Files\cm2gpx\cmfound.gpx" ToBeLogged.pdb

Works for me but you will need to change the Directories(folders), File names etc. to suit your own system. :D

User flags are your friend.  Set your centerpoint.  Press F7 to clear all User Flags. Go to the User Flag menu and choose Set for Next nn Records.  Enter the number of caches you want.  Filter using the built-in or user created "user flag=set" filter.  Voila.

Filter on your 'Unfound' caches first then apply Pasha's solution. You hopefully will then end up with 100 unfound around your centre point.

Edited to add:

When you filter for your 'Unfounds' make sure you select:

1. 'Available' in Available Status

2. 'Not Found' + 'Exclude Caches Placed By You' in Found Status.

If this is something you do often the following macro will do the steps for you (you can then add it as a tool button via the macro menu)

Before running this macro be sure to filter your subset to only contain the caches you want, then select the cache you want the others centered around. Note: for this macro to work you will need a saved filter called "User flag = set" which contains the sole setting of the User flag "set" box checked and the "not set" unchecked.

INPUT Msg="Enter the number of required caches"

CENTER

SORT By="Distance"

GOTO Position=Top

USERFLAG Type=Clear Range=all

USERFLAG Type=Set Range=$Result

FILTER Name="User flag = set"

Edited by ClydeE

Before running this macro be sure to filter your subset to only contain the caches you want, then select the cache you want the others centered around. Note: for this macro to work you will need a saved filter called "User flag = set" which contains the sole setting of the User flag "set" box checked and the "not set" unchecked.

INPUT Msg="Enter the number of required caches"

CENTER

SORT By="Distance"

GOTO Position=Top

USERFLAG Type=Clear Range=all

USERFLAG Type=Set Range=$Result

FILTER Name="User flag = set"

Worked like a charm, thanks. Got your email too. :D

I noticed something today you might not be aware of -

When you print the condensed page from GSAK you don't get the difficulty and terrain on the page.

Would like to request that in the print out.

The difficuly and terrain stars are not shown on the condensed print to keep the the report "condensed". However, you can get around this by going to Tools=>Options=>HTML and setting your description to %name by %by (%dif/%ter)

Note that you can include what ever special tags you like here and they will show on the condensed print.

Wow, this is great--thanks, Keith. I can do it manually, but I'm still one line away from getting this macro to do it all. I keep having it blow up on the CACHEMATE function. What is the settings parameter supposed to do? What is this "CacheMate Found"?

Wow, this is great--thanks, Keith. I can do it manually, but I'm still one line away from getting this macro to do it all. I keep having it blow up on the CACHEMATE function. What is the settings parameter supposed to do? What is this "CacheMate Found"?

As with many of the macro commands the CACHEMATE command supports the Settings token.

Go to "File=>Load cachemate logs and finds", set up the options how you would like them, then click on the "save" button. Give these saved settings a meaningful name, then this is the name you use in the CACHEMATE command.

This method allows many of the GSAK commands to be cutomized to the settings you want, then all you need is to add the "Settings" token to have that command execute with those exact options.

Note: you can have as many "saved" setting names as you like, so you can alter the behaviour of each macro command by selecting a different setting.

Had a thought earlier today, and yes it hurt. Is it possible to get the stars in 1-9 format. That would be counting half stars, so 1 is 1, 9 is 9, and 3 1/2 stars would be a 7. Or does this require a lot?

There are 3 supported formats for difficulty and terrain using special tags. Please see "special tags" in the help file or online here http://gsak.net/help/hs10300.htm

The one you are after is %ter1 or %dif1

As with many of the macro commands the CACHEMATE command supports the Settings token.

Go to "File=>Load cachemate logs and finds", set up the options how you would like them, then click on the "save" button. Give these saved settings a meaningful name, then this is the name you use in the CACHEMATE command.

This method allows many of the GSAK commands to be cutomized to the settings you want, then all you need is to add the "Settings" token to have that command execute with those exact options.

That's *almost* good for a self-inflicted dope slap. Thanks for the explanation, Clyde. I had read the online "Automating GSAK" page, but didn't go far enough down the page to find the many explanations you have there for settings. You may head off a similar question in the future if you include a settings explanation under CACHEMATE.

I've avoided macros for a while, but summer vacation is now here and I intend to dive in.

I noticed something today you might not be aware of -

When you print the condensed page from GSAK you don't get the difficulty and terrain on the page.

Would like to request that in the print out.

The difficuly and terrain stars are not shown on the condensed print to keep the the report "condensed". However, you can get around this by going to Tools=>Options=>HTML and setting your description to %name by %by (%dif/%ter)

Note that you can include what ever special tags you like here and they will show on the condensed print.

thanks Clyde -

That's *almost* good for a self-inflicted dope slap. Thanks for the explanation, Clyde. I had read the online "Automating GSAK" page, but didn't go far enough down the page to find the many explanations you have there for settings. You may head off a similar question in the future if you include a settings explanation under CACHEMATE.

I've avoided macros for a while, but summer vacation is now here and I intend to dive in.

Thanks, I missed that omission.

The macro language can really open up the power of GSAK and save you a lot of time. Unfortunately there is no "free lunch", and you need to spend a bit of time up front learning how to use it - but for those that have I am sure they would agree it is well worth it.

The macro language will continue to evolve and be enhanced in GSAK. It probably deserves a support topic if its own and when I get some spare time I will add a macro section to my web page so we can view and share useful macros.

Edit: Fixed fat finger typing. (I might just make the grade as a programmer, but when it comes to spelling and grammar the less said the better :D )

Edited by ClydeE
Is there a way to get the symbols into GSAK from a Mapsourse file? Whenever I create a gpx file now from Mapsourse and then load it into GSAK, I get ? for the symbol for all caches.

In order to determine what cache type is being loaded into GSAK it first looks for the Gecaching.com specific extension <Groundspeak:type> if this can not be found it then looks for the generic <type> element.

I do not own MapSource but unless you can "train" it to generate the geocaching specific types (Traditional, Multi, Event, etc) they will all end up in GSAK as geocaching type other.

I have what I suspect is an End User problem with the POP3 function (which has increased the already stellar "coolness factor" of GSAK another notch).

When I attempt to collect my gpx files from my PQ using the "Get data via E-mail" function, I get an error screen that reads:

"mail download error. Error message is: Connection Closed Gracefully"

What am I doing wrong? I'm using a registered GSAK (as should everyone else considering Clyde's time committment), Windows XP Pro, and a Hotmail account using the POP3 server mail.hotmail.com

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Edited by Menagerie
I have what I suspect is an End User problem with the POP3 function (which has increased the already stellar "coolness factor"  of GSAK another notch).

When I attempt to collect my gpx files from my PQ using the "Get data via E-mail" function, I get an error screen that reads:

"mail download error.  Error message is:  Connection Closed Gracefully"

What am I doing wrong?  I'm using a registered GSAK (as should everyone else considering Clyde's time committment), Windows XP Pro, and a Hotmail account using the POP3 server mail.hotmail.com

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Google mail accounts support pop3 but I am not so sure about hotmail.

I just signed up for a hotmail account (and boy was that a pain compared to google, and it would just not let me select Australia as my country), but could see nothing about pop3 mail support/access.

As a test you might like to try your standard pop3 account that comes with your ISP, at least if that works we know it is an issue with the Hotmail account

Do you know if hotmail is supposed to support this?

If so is this available in the free accounts? (and where in the settings do you set this up)

I know that in Google, pop3 will not work until you activate it by going into your settings

Edited by ClydeE

It is my understanding that Hotmail automatically supports POP3, and that this is how it interfaces with Outlook. Keep in mind however, that I'm no computer whiz, so if someone has different information, feel free to chime in!

BTW, I also tried this with my Norton disabled and routinely get the same report.

It is my understanding that Hotmail automatically supports POP3, and that this is how it interfaces with Outlook.  Keep in mind however, that I'm no computer whiz, so if someone has different information, feel free to chime in!

BTW, I also tried this with my Norton disabled and routinely get the same report.

Looking at the adds when I log into my Hotmail account is Hotmail plus (not free).

One of the so called benefits you get for paying is:

Access ninemsn Hotmail with Microsoft Office Outlook or Outlook Express®

Download and store ninemsn Hotmail messages on your PC. Read and compose messages when you're not online.

So if they are touting this as an extra benefit it is my bet the free accounts do not support pop3 (which sorta makes sense, because if they did support pop3 you could bypass the advertising)

Edited by ClydeE

I am using the free account, but have routinely accessed it through Outlook without difficulty. I will try to use my ISP account (which I never use) when they send me an E-mail with the "new" password since I haven't used it in 6 months.

I'm not opposed to signing up for a Google account, but since everything is already going to Hotmail, I'd prefer to use it.

Your quick responses are once again greatly appreciated!

I am using the free account, but have routinely accessed it through Outlook without difficulty. I will try to use my ISP account (which I never use) when they send me an E-mail with the "new" password since I haven't used it in 6 months.

I'm not opposed to signing up for a Google account, but since everything is already going to Hotmail, I'd prefer to use it.

Your quick responses are once again greatly appreciated!

Outlook is Micro$oft, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is something "under the covers" that lets you do this which is Microsoft specific.

I guess you could also go the other way and see if you can get a non MicroSoft email client to try and read this account.

I'll try some different ways and let you know what happens - later (It's 2 a.m. here (despite what the time stamp says) and if I don't get some sleep my family will accuse me of not pulling my weight with the yard work we have planned for later this morning).

Just a thought - would there be a way to use Outlook to get the information off the server, and then have GSAK collect it from Outlook?

Edited by Menagerie

Clyde, I'm pretty sure you've got the right of it; Hotmail doesn't support POP3 access, but if you have Outlook 2000 (I think) or above, it has built-in extensions that allow direct downloading of Hotmail messages.

I'll try some different ways and let you know what happens - later (It's 2 a.m. here (despite what the time stamp says) and if I don't get some sleep my family will accuse me of not pulling my weight with the yard work we have planned for later this morning).

Just a thought - would there be a way to use Outlook to get the information off the server, and then have GSAK collect it from Outlook?

Unless Outlook has its own pop3 server, then no :grin:

Is there a way to get the symbols into GSAK from a Mapsourse file?  Whenever I create a gpx file now from Mapsourse and then load it into GSAK, I get ? for the symbol for all caches.

In order to determine what cache type is being loaded into GSAK it first looks for the Gecaching.com specific extension <Groundspeak:type> if this can not be found it then looks for the generic <type> element.

I do not own MapSource but unless you can "train" it to generate the geocaching specific types (Traditional, Multi, Event, etc) they will all end up in GSAK as geocaching type other.

Mapsource will create a gpx file. Here are the "Quick VIew" results of one I created. There are 4 points named the symbol I was looking for. Bridge, Parking, Traditional and Trailhead. The symbol is spelled out. Is there any way for GSAK to take that info so it creates the correct symbol in the GSAK file? I could email you the gpx file separately if that would help. Tks alan

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>

<gpx xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1"'>http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1" creator="MapSource 6.5" version="1.1" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd">

<metadata>

<link href="http://www.garmin.com">

<text>Garmin International</text>

</link>

<time>2005-05-01T12:48:37Z</time>

<bounds maxlat="40.800085" maxlon="-73.553467" minlat="40.722627" minlon="-73.681458"/>

</metadata>

<wpt lat="40.754412" lon="-73.681458">

<time>2005-05-01T12:45:13Z</time>

<name>Bridge</name>

<cmt>Hwy 25b</cmt>

<desc>Hwy 25b</desc>

<sym>Crossing</sym>

</wpt>

<wpt lat="40.800085" lon="-73.609314">

<time>2005-05-01T12:45:45Z</time>

<name>Parking</name>

<cmt>New York-Northeastern Nj</cmt>

<desc>New York-Northeastern Nj</desc>

<sym>Parking Area</sym>

</wpt>

<wpt lat="40.722627" lon="-73.656027">

<time>2005-05-01T12:44:42Z</time>

<name>Trad</name>

<cmt>Railroad</cmt>

<desc>Railroad</desc>

<sym>Geocache</sym>

</wpt>

<wpt lat="40.737305" lon="-73.553467">

<time>2005-05-01T12:46:50Z</time>

<name>Trailhead</name>

<cmt>Salisbury Park Dr</cmt>

<desc>Salisbury Park Dr</desc>

<sym>Trail Head</sym>

</wpt>

</gpx>

Edited by Alan2
Is there a way to get the symbols into GSAK from a Mapsourse file?  Whenever I create a gpx file now from Mapsourse and then load it into GSAK, I get ? for the symbol for all caches.

Mapsource will create a gpx file. Here are the "Quick VIew" results of one I created. There are 4 points named the symbol I was looking for. Bridge, Parking, Traditional and Trailhead. The symbol is spelled out. Is there any way for GSAK to take that info so it creates the correct symbol in the GSAK file? I could email you the gpx file separately if that would help.

Unfortunately no.

GSAK does not support symbols - only cache types.

Currently the supported cache types are all the Groundspeak types, Benchmarking, and Other.

However, support for custom types (like parking spots) is on "the list" for a future release.

Motley crew Please email me per my profile. I have a few questions for you. I am unable to use your profile for email. Please disregard this message. I have pmd Motley Crew. If I could delete this message I would have.

Sorry to all.

Edited by RPaske
Motley crew Please email me per my profile. I have a few questions for you. I am unable to use your profile for email.  Please disregard this message. I have pmd Motley Crew. If I could delete this message I would have.

Sorry to all.

PM sent.

Hi Clyde,

FYI : little problem in OziExplorer Export

I ask for the generation of the name file. If the directory "Name Search" does not exist under installation directory of OziExplorer. GSAK Crash (error3, out and repair).

The macro language of the v5 is marvellous. Thank you for all this work.

I'm having a weird one.

I occasionally share GPX files with another person (that has also agreed the waypoint licence agreement). When I import one of their gpx files, it takes the caches that they've found and flags them as 'found by me'. GSAK does not, on the other hand, add a 'found by me' date.

I have put my gc.com id number in the tools/options and it doesn't seem to have any effect. It works fine for my pocket queries, it's only when I import someone else's pocket query that this happens. It would be nice to be able to share pocket queries with my wife.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Not sure if this has been requested or if this is the appropriate forum for enhancement requests but a function that splits large GSAK databases into 200 piece chunks(not sure what would be the best way to segregate caches would be? bearing, distance?) would be really nice for us macro challenged eXplorist users living in the SF bay area with thousands of unfound nearby caches.

And added bonus would be to enable GSAK to upload to the eXplorist in the correct format.

And best of all would remove the 200 cache limit per file. :unsure:

If you're using GSAK today to create Meridian SD files, isn't the limit 500 and not 200? The 200 limit only factors in on the new .gs format which GPSBabel (and thus, GSAK) doesn't yet support, right?

GSAK already knows how to limit the number of waypoints sent, so this wil probably just be another entry in a table somewhere.

If the limit really is the hardware not supporting > 200 at a time, I don't know we can do much about that other than organizing ballot box stuffing campaigns, but those have historically been unsuccessful with Magellan.

I have a feeling that we'll witness a rapid growth in the amount known about explorists and their associated file formats and limits within the week...