GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Is there a way to drop the "GC" from the database in GSAK?

I currently drop the GC when exporting to mapsource or my GPS, however when out caching occasionally will want to switch back and forth between either whatn I see on the GPS/in Mapsource and GSAK to check the details. When doing a search it can be a nuisance to have to remebr to tye the GC prefix before what my GPS and Mapsource shows.

I currently drop the GC when exporting to mapsource or my GPS, however when out caching occasionally will want to switch back and forth between either whatn I see on the GPS/in Mapsource and GSAK to check the details. When doing a search it can be a nuisance to have to remebr to tye the GC prefix before what my GPS and Mapsource shows.

You can't really drop the GC in the database but you can drop the GC when doing a code search (box at the top left of the screen). This search is a "contains" search so you don't really need to start the search with GC

The only issue to be aware of is that if you happen to have other waypoints in your database other than GC ones, there is a chance they may also match, but it should be pretty obvious which is what.

Not sure where to make feature requests, but in the email download feature - is there any way for GSAK to re-name the zip files to the subject line name?

So once they are downloaded they are "Kalamazoo MI" instead of "21213423.gpx"? That would rock.

Love this email feature.

Not sure where to make feature requests, but in the email download feature - is there any way for GSAK to re-name the zip files to the subject line name?

So once they are downloaded they are "Kalamazoo MI" instead of "21213423.gpx"? That would rock.

Currently no.

However depending on why you want to do this there may be a work around.

For example, if the only reason you are wanting this feature is so you can recognize the GPX file and know what database it should be loaded into, then you can do this via the macro language without having a meaningful name.

So perhaps if you could elaborate as to why you would want this feature we can work out if there is a viable work around or if it should be added to "the list"

For the cm2gpx to work, you have to give it the path to the .pdb file.  You have to hotsync your Palm to get the .pdb file on the PC, and it should be in C:\program files\palmone\username\backup directory, where username is the abbreviation for your hotsync name.

Thanks, this helps. I didn't know where the Palm backup file was. I was able to make it work.

However, when I loaded in the found records they came in as new recoreds rather than merging them with the existing records. This must have happened because I had sent them out to the Palm with smartnames rather than GC names. I guess I need a work around for that.

Thanks for the leg up.

Edited by RubberToes

You can't really drop the GC in the database but you can drop the GC when doing a code search (box at the top left of the screen). This search is a "contains" search so you don't really need to start the search with GC

The only issue to be aware of is that if you happen to have other waypoints in your database other than GC ones, there is a chance they may also match, but it should be pretty obvious which is what.

Swear i tried this at one point and it did not work, however it appears to be so chalk it up to :ph34r:

For the cm2gpx to work, you have to give it the path to the .pdb file.  You have to hotsync your Palm to get the .pdb file on the PC, and it should be in C:\program files\palmone\username\backup directory, where username is the abbreviation for your hotsync name.

Thanks, this helps. I didn't know where the Palm backup file was. I was able to make it work.

However, when I loaded in the found records they came in as new recoreds rather than merging them with the existing records. This must have happened because I had sent them out to the Palm with smartnames rather than GC names. I guess I need a work around for that.

Thanks for the leg up.

Also note that you shouldn't be loading these as normal GPX files.

Make sure you take the option "File=>Load CacheMate logs and finds"

For more information please see the help file or online here http://gsak.net/help/hs40000.htm

Hmm, I can't reproduce the back to back load screens. Anything else in this process that you can think of that might be unusual that would cause this?

Do you have GSAK running when you double mouse click on the GPX file?

Try dragging the zip file to the GSAK icon.

I don't use the zip files, just the straight GPX files. But dragging the GPX file onto the shortcut doesn't seem to cause this problem, only double clicking when GSAK is not already open.

The only possible unusual thing is that I originally had associated GPX and LOC files with CMConvert for CacheMate so that I could double click them or open them directly from email and have CMConvert launch with the file open. Then, when I installed GSAK, I had to Right-Click the GPX file and Open With again to choose GSAK. Since I wanted it to always open with GSAK, I checked the "Always open with..." box at the bottom of the program list.

Oddly, I had done all of this prior to the upgrade to 5.5 and do not recall seeing this sort of issue. But could this manual file associate cause this problem and if so, how do I remove it but still be able to double click GPX files and have them load automatically into GSAK?

Hmm, I can't reproduce the back to back load screens. Anything else in this process that you can think of that might be unusual that would cause this?

Do you have GSAK running when you double mouse click on the GPX file?

Try dragging the zip file to the GSAK icon.

I don't use the zip files, just the straight GPX files. But dragging the GPX file onto the shortcut doesn't seem to cause this problem, only double clicking when GSAK is not already open.

The only possible unusual thing is that I originally had associated GPX and LOC files with CMConvert for CacheMate so that I could double click them or open them directly from email and have CMConvert launch with the file open. Then, when I installed GSAK, I had to Right-Click the GPX file and Open With again to choose GSAK. Since I wanted it to always open with GSAK, I checked the "Always open with..." box at the bottom of the program list.

Oddly, I had done all of this prior to the upgrade to 5.5 and do not recall seeing this sort of issue. But could this manual file associate cause this problem and if so, how do I remove it but still be able to double click GPX files and have them load automatically into GSAK?

To associate GPX files with GSAK, Tools=>GPX file association

If you do not have GSAK running, then what you are describing is expected behaviour.

That is, you get one nag screen for starting GSAK (you have used it more than 21 days) then you get another for the load of the GPX file (you have used GSAK more than 50 times)

Thanks a lot Clyde. Now all I have to do is find where I put my backup of filters, locations and other stuff on my cd collection :anibad:

Is there a way to transfer filters from one machine to another? Maybe an export/import filter? Or is there a file that needs to be moved?

Thanks,

LazyK - Dan

Clyde,

Thanks for the new version!

There are, however, a couple of things odd to me:

In the "waypoint" menu, "show offline" menu item now expands, not "custom url". Weird is the fact that when I hold the pointer over the "show offline" menu, a new browser window automatically opens...no pressing <F4>. and this happens all the time...

something new implemented, that I could turn off?

yours,

Thor Anders

So once they are downloaded they are "Kalamazoo MI" instead of "21213423.gpx"?  That would rock.

Currently no.

For example, if the only reason you are wanting this feature is so you can recognize the GPX file and know what database it should be loaded into, then you can do this via the macro language without having a meaningful name.

So perhaps if you could elaborate as to why you would want this feature we can work out if there is a viable work around or if it should be added to "the list"

Pretty much so I know what's in each file, a meaningful name.

If I have 15 GPX files in a directory, I'm really not able to distinguish 213343.zip from 233143.zip very well and if I could, Lord help me if I can remember which is which :anibad:

something I have noticed since I started with the macros -

Before I would select the column and reverse it (last Log - newest on top) then Ctrl+Home to get back to the top.

then whenever I'd load a PQ it would come back in the same sort mode.

But now that I use a maco for the sort mode,

....CANCELFILTER

....sort by="lastlog" sequence=D

....goto position=top

(indicentally the column is no longer highlighted when macro sorted)

when I do a PQ I end up in some odd (default?) sort mode and have to re-sort to  display the database the way I want.

Me thinks this may have something to do with the (non) highlighted column but you are the man - is this a bug, just the way it works, or "oh well, deal with it <smile>"?

I will check out why you get some "default" sequence after the PQ load (of course the work around for this would be to just add the SORT command to the end of your macro)

However, some more information on the SORT command.

The macro SORT command allows for more than one column to be sorted(separated by ; ), so when you use this command it will not highlight any particular column.

Clyde -

I thinkyou misunderstood - because that is what I am asking - why I have to do the sort macro after doing a pq load. I don't use a maco for pq's do them manually. [side question - my mail comes in automatically - I like your mail command, but would like to have it go to my inbox and get the pq from there - can I do that?]

Before macros I would do the sort manually then when I loaded a pg (manually) it came back sorted the same as before.

But now that I use a maco for the sort [macro follows],

....CANCELFILTER

....sort by="lastlog" sequence=D

....goto position=top

(indicentally the column is no longer highlighted when macro sorted) - note this is a single column sort.

when I do a PQ load I end up in some odd (default?) sort mode after the pq load completes and have to re-sort to display the database the way it was. I am not at home so will have to determine what the 'default' sort actually is. Shoulda did that last night - sorry.

Hope that clarifies things a little better -

cc\

I do have another feature to suggest. I'm using GSAK on 2 Computers (Desktop and Laptop for Travelling). Is it possible to synchronize the Data (Databases, Settings, Fliters , Locations etc) between these via network connection? One could configure one as a server and the other as a client or vv. depending on which Database was changed last.

This is getting outside the scope of features I have planned for GSAK.

However, if you really wanted to do this you can configure your data store to a network drive. This would probably only be viable on a lan or a very fast broadband connection.

One other solution is to use remote control software. VNC is popular here as it allows you to control another computer across the Intenet using a browser. You can download the freeware version here http://www.realvnc.com/

UltraVNC is also very good. We had some issues with RealVNC at work but these would likely not be a problem for the 'normal' users.

http://www.ultravnc.com/

it is also free -

I was wondering about the same thing - but all you really have to do is copy the backup over the network and use that. Ya, takes a bit more than a single button but it works.

Edited by CompuCash
I do have another feature to suggest. I'm using GSAK on 2 Computers (Desktop and Laptop for Travelling). Is it possible to synchronize the Data (Databases, Settings, Fliters , Locations etc) between these via network connection? One could configure one as a server and the other as a client or vv. depending on which Database was changed last.

This is getting outside the scope of features I have planned for GSAK.

However, if you really wanted to do this you can configure your data store to a network drive. This would probably only be viable on a lan or a very fast broadband connection.

I use two computers also. I keep my desktop up to date, then when I'm ready to go out, I backup my database to a networked folder on my laptop, then restore it on the laptop. When I get back, I backup my laptop to the same networked folder and restore my desktop's database.

It seems to me that there should be a way to use the autorun macro (whatever it's called) to recover certain databases that were saved to a network drive... In essence that's what I do now. I don't see a macro command that does anything with backup/recovery though. (And would that help solve this idea?)

It's not a lot of work, so it doesn't really matter to me if it's in a macro, but to someone who's out every day, it might make a difference.

Edited by LeBuckZoo

If I have 15 GPX files in a directory, I'm really not able to distinguish 213343.zip from 233143.zip very well and if I could, Lord help me if I can remember which is which :anibad:

I have written a simple .bat file to rename my gpx files. What I wanted to do was run a macro, and run the bat file from within the macro using the RUNPGM command. It didn't work though. Is RUNPGM just for .exe files? I can run the .bat file from the Start | Run command so was hoping it would work from the macro too.

It is not the nag screen that I'm now asking about. When I double click a GPX file, it opens the "load file" dialog twice in a row. I go through the load process the first time, but then have to cancel out of the second "load file" process the second time.

Nag screens not included, this the sequence of events when I double-click a GPX files.

1) Splash Screen

2) Application opens with empty data view

3) Load File dialog and process

4) Application opens with data viewable on screen

5) Load File dialog and process

6) Then back to the application view.

I've recorded my screen in a short flash demo that will visually show you what I'm seeing. If you can, please take a look at this recorded session at

https://bearspace.baylor.edu/John_Lowe/www/...dTwiceError.htm

I have written a simple .bat file to rename my gpx files. What I wanted to do was run a macro, and run the bat file from within the macro using the RUNPGM command. It didn't work though. Is RUNPGM just for .exe files? I can run the .bat file from the Start | Run command so was hoping it would work from the macro too.

If it turns out that .bat can not be run from these macros, there is an OLD Dos utility called BAT2EXE that you can still download from http://www.computerhope.com/dutil.htm. This program converts your batch file into a .com file. Then, either call the .com from the macro or simply rename the output.com to output.exe and call it that way.

I hope this helps.

It is not the nag screen that I'm now asking about. When I double click a GPX file, it opens the "load file" dialog twice in a row. I go through the load process the first time, but then have to cancel out of the second "load file" process the second time.

At the risk of asking an obvious question: if you click once, does it open and load once? I have the internet-link thing active on my desktop such that I need only click once and not twice. I would get the results you describe if I double-click.

It is not the nag screen that I'm now asking about.  When I double click a GPX file, it opens the "load file" dialog twice in a row.  I go through the load process the first time, but then have to cancel out of the second "load file" process the second time.

At the risk of asking an obvious question: if you click once, does it open and load once? I have the internet-link thing active on my desktop such that I need only click once and not twice. I would get the results you describe if I double-click.

No, I'm just using the regular Windows XP system. A single click just highlights the file. But good try.

I can confirm that RUNPGM will work with batch files.

Here's one I use ...

RUNPGM="D:\Program Files\GSAK\Macros\Batchfile.bat" wait=YES

Ensure you put the full path name in and the wait=YES ensures the batch file completes before the next GSAK macro command is run.

HTH

Edited to add: Note the quote marks, these are required as there is a space between Program and Files. Also the wait above is optional.

Edited by Motley Crew

Here's one I use ...

Thanks for your confirmation. Now I know it should work, I've been trying all sorts of combinations, still without success. I was trying RUNPGM pgm="................" wait=yes

Is the "pgm" bit optional?

I've worked out why it is failing. The .bat file that I run renames gpx files without specifying the path, as I always ru nit from the folder where the gpx files are. While running it from the macro, it runs as if it is running in the gsak\macros folder.

I'll edit my .bat file to include the paths (unless there is an easier way!)

Can any one help me figure this out? I am using GSAK and want to export to cahemate on my recently purchased used Palm M500.

From the database I want to put on the palm I chose File>export>CachmatePDB file. Did I miss a step? I have the database in GSAK, but what is the PDB file?

When I choose this option, there are two boxes to fill in, "PDB file to create" and "select from most recent". What do I enter in these two boxes?

Thanks

Can any one help me figure this out?  I am using GSAK and want to export to cahemate on my recently purchased used Palm M500.

From the database I want to put on the palm I chose File>export>CachmatePDB file.  Did I miss a step?  I have the database in GSAK, but what is the PDB file?

When I choose this option, there are two boxes to fill in, "PDB file to create" and "select from most recent".  What do I enter in these two boxes?

Thanks

In the 'PDB File To Create' box you need to put a destination folder and file name for the exported PDB file. e.g. C:\My Documents\Palm\Not Founds.pdb.

The 'Most recent box is an aide memoir to help you remember 'recent' exports that you have done (you will find this in many GSAK options.)

Tick/Select the install to Palm box and let gsak do its stuff.

Next, HotSynch your Palm M500, when it has finished run cachemate on the palm and it should tell you it has found 'new' data and ask you which database/category you want to put the data in.

HTH

Edited to add: The PDB file is a Palm Database File that the Palm 'understands'.

Edited by Motley Crew

Here's one I use ...

Thanks for your confirmation. Now I know it should work, I've been trying all sorts of combinations, still without success. I was trying RUNPGM pgm="................" wait=yes

Is the "pgm" bit optional?

Whoops - TYPO - cut/paste/edit error (I changed the name of the 'actual' batch file to protect the innocent). :anibad: The 'pgm' bit is mandatory (mostly :ph34r: )

Edited by Motley Crew

Is it possible to use a enviroment variable like %TMP% within GSAK macro?

No, not natively.

However, you can get around this with .....

Put it all together and you get a handy code snippit...

Thanks Clyde!

#Set ENVTmpDir equal to %TMP%
SET $Result = PutFile("c:\gsaktmp.bat","echo %TMP% > c:\gsaktmp.tmp")
IF Left($Result,7) = "*Error*"
Pause Msg="$Result"
Cancel
ENDIF
RUNPGM Pgm="c:\gsaktmp.bat" Wait=yes
SET $ENVTmpDir = GetFile("c:\gsaktmp.tmp")
IF Left($ENVTmpDir,7) = "*Error*"
Pause Msg="$ENVTmpDir"
Cancel
ENDIF

Pause Msg="$ENVTmpDir"

So once they are downloaded they are "Kalamazoo MI" instead of "21213423.gpx"?  That would rock.

Currently no.

Then just write a .bat file to rename these files, then call the bat file from withing the macro with the RUNPGM command.

When writing the .bat file be sure to use absolute paths rather than relative paths to your file names.

Thanks, Motley. I just overlooked the part where a file had to be saved to the desktop before it could be put into the install for the next hotsync. So I followed your instructions and succeeded!

Another question. When I start CM on the Palm, it asks me to choose a category. If I choose "Not Found", it seems that this really creates a large database called not found? So rather than have several databases like you can in GSAK, you have one huge database, (category?) in CM and then you search to narrow it down? Or is there a way to have several different not found databases in CM?

I realize this is not a GSAK question. Could not find a thread like this one on CM.

Thanks

It is not the nag screen that I'm now asking about.  When I double click a GPX file, it opens the "load file" dialog twice in a row.  I go through the load process the first time, but then have to cancel out of the second "load file" process the second time.

Nag screens not included, this the sequence of events when I double-click a GPX files.

1) Splash Screen

2) Application opens with empty data view

3) Load File dialog and process

4) Application opens with data viewable on screen

5) Load File dialog and process

6) Then back to the application view.

I've recorded my screen in a short flash demo that will visually show you what I'm seeing. If you can, please take a look at this recorded session at

https://bearspace.baylor.edu/John_Lowe/www/...dTwiceError.htm

Thanks for the movie.

I unregistered my copy of GSAK and sure enough I can then reproduce the problem. Strangely I could only produce the problem on my windows 98 box not my XP box. I notice you have XP so go figure.

Anyway, I will fix this in the next maintenance release.

In the mean time, the work arounds are:

1. Drag the file to your GSAK desktop icon or

2. Make sure GSAK is running before you double mouse click on a file or

3. Register GSAK

Edited by ClydeE

If it turns out that .bat can not be run from these macros, there is an OLD Dos utility called BAT2EXE that you can still download from http://www.computerhope.com/dutil.htm. This program converts your batch file into a .com file. Then, either call the .com from the macro or simply rename the output.com to output.exe and call it that way.

I hope this helps.

Not True. .bat files run just fine with the RUNPGM macro command.

However, be sure to use absolute path names when dealing with files and if your path contains a space, then surround the whole thing in double quotes.

Edited by ClydeE

I thinkyou misunderstood - because that is what I am asking - why I have to do the sort macro after doing a pq load. I don't use a maco for pq's do them manually. [side question - my mail comes in automatically - I like your mail command, but would like to have it go to my inbox and get the pq from there - can I do that?]

Thanks, I get it now. Yes, your sort sequence should be preserved after a PQ load so I will check out why it is not.

The new GetMail command is to get mail from a Pop3 mail account, not from an email client, so you can't do this.

However, if you want GSAK to get your mail but also have it downloaded to your inbox then make sure you select the "leave on server" option.

Thanks, Motley.  I just overlooked the part where a file had to be saved to the desktop before it could be put into the install for the next hotsync.  So I followed your instructions and succeeded!

Another question.  When I start CM on the Palm, it asks me to choose a category.  If I choose "Not Found", it seems that this really creates a large database called not found?  So rather than have several databases like you can in GSAK, you have one huge database, (category?) in CM and then you search to narrow it down?  Or is there a way to have several different not found databases in CM?

I realize this is not a GSAK question.  Could not find a thread like this one on CM.

Thanks

Here's the Cachemate Thread.

Thanks, Motley.  I just overlooked the part where a file had to be saved to the desktop before it could be put into the install for the next hotsync.  So I followed your instructions and succeeded!

Another question.  When I start CM on the Palm, it asks me to choose a category.  If I choose "Not Found", it seems that this really creates a large database called not found?  So rather than have several databases like you can in GSAK, you have one huge database, (category?) in CM and then you search to narrow it down?  Or is there a way to have several different not found databases in CM?

I realize this is not a GSAK question.  Could not find a thread like this one on CM.

Thanks

Here's the Cachemate Thread.

Thank you, I'll mosey on over there.

Is it possible to use a enviroment variable like %TMP% within GSAK macro?

No, not natively.

However, you can get around this with .....

Put it all together and you get a handy code snippit...

Thanks Clyde!

#Set ENVTmpDir equal to %TMP%
SET $Result = PutFile("c:\gsaktmp.bat","echo %TMP% > c:\gsaktmp.tmp")
IF Left($Result,7) = "*Error*"
Pause Msg="$Result"
Cancel
ENDIF
RUNPGM Pgm="c:\gsaktmp.bat" Wait=yes
SET $ENVTmpDir = GetFile("c:\gsaktmp.tmp")
IF Left($ENVTmpDir,7) = "*Error*"
Pause Msg="$ENVTmpDir"
Cancel
ENDIF

Pause Msg="$ENVTmpDir"

Yep, and remember that GSAK variables are global in scope.

That means you could put that snippet of code into its own file then whenever you want to set the $ENVTmpDir variable you can do so by using the MACRO command to call this macro. This will save you cutting and pasing the code and will let you build your own library of subroutines.

Well, it looks like I'm the only one with the email issue. ho hum.

Even with a new PQ, the function picks it up, the progress bar flashes to 100% (too fast). There are no files in the target directory, and no files get loaded in.

I will try it on a different machine next...

Thanks, AJK

I will fix this in the next maintenance release.

In the mean time, the work arounds are:

1. Drag the file to your GSAK desktop icon or

2. Make sure GSAK is running before you double mouse click on a file or

3. Register GSAK

Excellent! I'm going to try playing with the export to CacheMate stuff tomorrow, but if all goes well, Option 3 will be coming soon!

Thanks for you help and I'm glad I'm not crazy!

I thinkyou misunderstood - because that is what I am asking - why I have to do the sort macro after doing a pq load.  I don't use a maco for pq's do them manually.  [side question - my mail comes in automatically - I like your mail command, but would like to have it go to my inbox and get the pq from there - can I do that?]

Thanks, I get it now. Yes, your sort sequence should be preserved after a PQ load so I will check out why it is not.

The new GetMail command is to get mail from a Pop3 mail account, not from an email client, so you can't do this.

However, if you want GSAK to get your mail but also have it downloaded to your inbox then make sure you select the "leave on server" option.

just did a couple tests - seems to default to sort on miles as my 'home' is on top.

edit - correction, it is last log with oldest on top (no log on home so it is on top) -- I sort last log newest on top

Edited by CompuCash
Mail download error. Error message is: authentication failed

After downlaoding the new version and trying to set up the email function, this is the error message I recieved. Does the function work with all POP3 servers? or just gmail? What did I do wrong?

Thanks

Normal mail accounts usually don't need the SSL option checked, so the first thing would be to make sure you do not have this box checked.

However, the "authentication failed" message is usually the result of incorrectly entering your user name or password. Some pop3 servers are case senstive so make sure you enter your details with the correct case.

In the "waypoint" menu, "show offline" menu item now expands, not "custom url". Weird is the fact that when I hold the pointer over the "show offline" menu, a new browser window automatically opens...no pressing <F4>. and this happens all the time...

something new implemented, that I could turn off?

It sounds like there is some setting in your GSAK.ini file that is corrupt.

Rename GSAK.ini (intstall folder of GSAK) to GSAK.xxx then start GSAK again.

If that fixes the problem and you can live with having to enter your settings again then we are sweet.

However, if you can't remember what your settings were and want the old ones back then rename GSAK.xxx to GSAK.ini, then start GSAK and take the "Tools=>Options=>Send debug into to Clyde" and email me the tracking number. I should be able to interrogate your file and determine the problem, fix, then email back to you.

Clyde, I just checked and I see the exact same behavior - Waypoints/Show Offline has an arrow to the right indicating a submenu, and when I mouseover Show Offline and the submenu pops out, it's the Custom URL submenu, and a new browser window immediately opens with the Offline copy of the record. No clicking involved, and the Custom URL menu choice does not have a submenu. I'll try the .ini file fix.

Clyde, I just checked and I see the exact same behavior - Waypoints/Show Offline has an arrow to the right indicating a submenu, and when I mouseover Show Offline and the submenu pops out, it's the Custom URL submenu, and a new browser window immediately opens with the Offline copy of the record. No clicking involved, and the Custom URL menu choice does not have a submenu. I'll try the .ini file fix.

mine does the same thing - get the same menu as right click in the database after the new smaller window pops up.

cc\

I have this issue pending in the CachMate thread, but thought it really was a question for here. The 1st paragraph was the recommendation, the 2nd paragraph below is really what I want to know.

QUOTE (webscouter. @ Apr 26 2005, 08:11 PM)

The best place to put (the PDB) is in the Add-on folder, that way if the palm gets corrupted it will automatically reinstall it when you hot synch. If you put it in the default location it will transfer it to the palm and will open it when you open cachemate. Just let GSAK put it where it wants to, hot synch the palm and then open the cachemate program on the palm

Well, when I export the PDB file, my copy of GSAK does not fill in the box with a default path or anything. Also on my computer, the path "C:\Program Files\PalmOne\ " does not have an "add on" folder in it. Should I just create an "add-on" folder in the "PalmOne" folder? Or is it not that simple?

Clyde, I just checked and I see the exact same behavior - Waypoints/Show Offline has an arrow to the right indicating a submenu, and when I mouseover Show Offline and the submenu pops out, it's the Custom URL submenu, and a new browser window immediately opens with the Offline copy of the record.  No clicking involved, and the Custom URL menu choice does not have a submenu.  I'll try the .ini file fix.

Woops. That will teach me not to read the OP correctly. :ph34r:

I was looking a the right click menu.

Yes, this one is a definite bug (I guess beta testers only used the right click menu) and nothing you do with the GSAK.ini file will fix it.

Work around - use the right mouse click menu

I will fix this in the maintenance release.

Edited by ClydeE
I have this issue pending in the CachMate thread, but thought it really was a question for here. The 1st paragraph was the recommendation, the 2nd paragraph below is really what I want to know.

QUOTE (webscouter. @ Apr 26 2005, 08:11 PM)

The best place to put (the PDB) is in the Add-on folder, that way if the palm gets corrupted it will automatically reinstall it when you hot synch. If you put it in the default location it will transfer it to the palm and will open it when you open cachemate. Just let GSAK put it where it wants to, hot synch the palm and then open the cachemate program on the palm

Well, when I export the PDB file, my copy of GSAK does not fill in the box with a default path or anything. Also on my computer, the path "C:\Program Files\PalmOne\ " does not have an "add on" folder in it. Should I just create an "add-on" folder in the "PalmOne" folder? Or is it not that simple?

Open the install or quick install tool in your Palm Desktop folder in the start/all programs menu of your windows desktop. Click on the "add" button of that applet. That should reveal where your add-on folder is. Go up a level or two if you need more information locating it.

The first time you export you have to give it a path and file name. After that GSAK will remember what you used before and give you the option of staying with it or changing it.

I don't know if it's come up so far as you've explored this, but so long as you have the "Install to palm after conversion" box checked in the GSAK export to cachmate window, the cachemate file should be set up for hotsynch no matter where you tell GSAK to put it on the hard drive.

Clyde,

Thanks for sorting out the bug reported in my previous posting. Of course, the right click menu is the one I use regularly so I don't have to sit up and wait for the maintenance update .)

However, since I requested the following features I feel obliged to inform you that this to me does not work very well:

When the offline view window (lower in split) takes focus, very often the top text is marked as well followed by "hangs" in gsak. it appears to me that there is some kind of "copy text" involved; I get mouse pointers indicating that I cannot paste clipboard content here.

Now, you implemented <space> scrolling. This, however, requires the window to have focus. Now, if the <space> would scroll the lower window without focus, that could be an alternative too... at least as a workaround.

Not to forget: keep up the good work!

yours,

Thor Anders

However, since I requested the following features I feel obliged to inform you that this to me does not work very well:

When the offline view window (lower in split) takes focus, very often the top text is marked as well followed by "hangs" in gsak.  it appears to me that there is some kind of "copy text" involved; I get mouse pointers indicating that I cannot paste clipboard content here.

Sorry, I can't reproduce this.

Can you explain the steps involved to get this to happen.

Edit: PM sent to try and get to the bottom of this.

Edited by ClydeE