Need Help Plotting Coordinates

avroair

One technique, and this is only one would be to convert the two locations to UTM and then plot them on a sheet of graphing paper. Then use a protractor to determine the azimuth from point to point. The answer would be in Grid northing, so it would then need to be adjusted the appropriate amount for the area being measured. A second technique, which is a variation of the first is to use a topo map to mark the two locations on. For a reference line, use the nearest grid line (from the marginal information). Draw it on your map. Again, the answers would be expressed in grid north. Yet a third technique would be to use Easy GPS. It's been awhile since I used it, but I seem to remember that it would express a direction and distance between two points. I don't remember what the azimuth reference was though.

This site forces the user to enter coordinates in Degrees/Minutes/Seconds format. I find this other site to be a bit more friendly, because I can enter decimal minutes in the minutes box (leaving the seconds box blank), consistent with the format used here at gc.com.

Avro, if you need to visualize your waypoints on a map or aerial photo, feel free to make use of the terraserver viewer at geocachingadmin.com.