A Unique Method Of Hiding A Cache-maybe?

I have hidden 15 caches and am always trying to come up with novel ways to hide them. I am thinking of buying a small waterproof container (I mean serious down-to-15ft waterproof) and attaching it to some sort of weight and a rope and submerging it in a pond. I think cachers would get a kick out of it. Has anybody seen a cache like this, or created one? Looking for advice!

I've done one, everyone really loves it when it is findable. I used a Nalgene-esque water bottle, weighted with lead fishing weights. It is in a river so when the river rises it is hard to find. I'll be replacing it with a larger, higher quality bottle as it does leak a little bit after a day or so in the water. Still getting the bugs out of it.

Unique? Yes.

Brand new? Of course not. :lol:

There's several in my immediate area. I won't post links, since if one does not pay attention to subtle hints in the title or description, the cache is somewhat of a surprise.

To answer the OP's question: These are great hides! One of them was one of my favorites. Unfortunately, it is unarchived, but when it was active I would stop by the cache just to admire it. Yes, I know, very, very sick...

Quote : "Another trick is to place a floaty object inside a hollow pipe (such as a fencepost, etc). The geocachers have to fill the post with water to make the object float into reach. Generally used for intermediate coordinates, since objects in a cache would probably make it not float anymore! "

So only one cacher, gets the hide...? How do they remove the water from a fence post ?

Edited by One of the Texas Vikings
Quote : "Another trick is to place a floaty object inside a hollow pipe (such as a fencepost, etc). The geocachers have to fill the post with water to make the object float into reach. Generally used for intermediate coordinates, since objects in a cache would probably make it not float anymore! "

So only one cacher, gets the hide...? How do they remove the water from a fence post ?

Pull the cork that's in the hole near the bottom of the post!

I guess the trick is to anchor the pipe in a way that cachers won't yank it up and dump the cache out

Lets see. Fishing line, rope, and twin so far. The water is the same but how it's kept underwater varies.

In spit of the fact that it's been done before It is not a common hide at all.

850 caches and I'm up to 3 of those hides. Some people might get a kick out of the fact that I'm up to 4 guard rails as well. Light poles though, lots and lots.