'bug Dilemma'

Earlier this year we went, at short notice, on a trip abroad and thought that we would like to take some travel bugs with us, to drop them off in some distant caches. Having no bugs in our possession, we went to some of our local 'previously found' caches and took the bugs in residence, leaving an entry in the cache log book as to our intention to relocate these bugs abroad. We also put a note on the internet cache sites and bug logs, to the effect that we had taken these bugs and the reason why.

A similar situation has now occurred and we wish again to collect more bugs from some of our 'previously found' caches to take with us. Our problem is that we are unsure as to whether this practice is generally acceptable, or whether it breaks any travel bug protocol or etiquette. We would be interested to see opinions from other geocachers.

I see nothing wrong with this, in fact, I do it regularly prior to frequent trips to England and further afield :(

Travelbugs are, by definition and name, meant to travel, and if that's what you're helping them do, then I see nothing wrong with it.

We planned a trip abroad recently which, unfortunately, had to be cancelled. We picked up several TBs intending to take them with us and we emailed the owners to check their response. Each said they were very happy. Suggest you do the same..

i say go for it ! unless the tb's 'mission' log states differently :(

Ah - I did indeed forget to state the obvious!

This is very important!!! Of course it is ideal to take a bug towards its destination, but it's considered bad form to take it away from it. However, don't be afraid to apply logic. For example, I often come across TBs in Ireland wanting to go to the US, and I take them to Bristol, knowing they might get to Heathrow very quickly. Seems to work for me.

Might be worth doing a bit research.

Does it help the bugs mission?

Don't place it in a cache that rarely gets visited. But that has nothing to do with going abroad. However, if you have limited internet access while away you have to do the research before you go.

When at home I won't drop a TB into a cache that doesn't get visited too often, or a new cache that has yet to prove it stands up to muggling.