Friends Feature Request And A Complaint

halley-peabody

Right now I have added links to several friends profile in mine, but I would like an easier and more organized way to keep track of other members. Just like we can add caches and travel bugs to a watchlist it would be nice to be able to add other users to a friends list.

I have considered, from time to time, becoming a premium member in order to gain the extra map features that it includes. But each time I do I am forced to conclude that it just isn't worth it. Money is really tight for my family right now, and with the feature list what it is right now I just can't justify this. Not one of the other features of premium membership appeals to me, so it isn't worth the money. If there were a way to get just that feature at a lower price I would purchase it. Maybe the site needs more than two levels of membership.

Well, since Geocaching is becoming such the social activity, I am going to suggest, again, that serious thought be given to allowing members the ability to keep a list of friends or family. As I continue to get my Friends and Family involved, it is fun to be able to read what cache's they have found. Unfortunately, remembering this list of user names is becoming increasingly more difficult. :lol:

Thanks for your time.

... each time I do I am forced to conclude that it just isn't worth it.

Pocket Queries are worth it.....but aside from that I pony up the $30 every year just to support the site. It is expensive to buy new computers, software, Internet bandwidth etc.... I enjoy the activity and want it to continue. Reason enough for me.

I understand some folks' feelings on money being tight, been there myself. But when we you run the numbers and look at what it gets you, it's not that big of a deal. We're talking $30 a year. In our family's case, that equated to 1 movie outing or less than 1 nice dinner out. Trade either of those once-a-year things for the added perks that makes GCing more enjoyable throughout the year, and the trade-off decision was an easy one.

The main perk for us? Pocket queries. The mapping was a nice add-on and the bookmarks/ignore lists added since are GREAT. But the PQ's alone are far and away worth the $30 to simplify and speed up the search and prep time. Couple that with GSAK (another low, one-time investment) and the 'grunt work' of GCing is nothing.

I can understand the OPs financial crunch, but $3.00 per month doesn't take a very big bite out of my budget (paid through PayPal) and the Pocket Queries are really, really woth that paltry sum.

Loading the info from the Pocket Queries into my two-year old Palm M500, instead of printing out the pages, probably saves nearly $3.00/month in ink and paper. :ph34r:

The two posts above this one were merged into this thread. Three topics started independently over the past week demonstrates the popularity of a "friends" feature. I'm sure everyone's looking forward to its implementation after a few other projects are crossed off the to-do list.

I dont quite understand what a friend's list would do for you... I understand that you want to keep track of your friends but the only way to communicate is through the message mailing feature in the profile....... or you want to watch their activity I suppose.

I guess my point is that why not use other software such as msn messenger or Yahoo messenger or any of those to keep friends on and you can chit chat and exchange files and pics through them. They work really well for instant messaging and such. I could only imagine that this would be difficult for gc.com to implement something that would do this for you.

I guess that a question comes out of this, what do you want to be able to do with a friends list?

I'm not bashing the idea, I guess I just want to know what it will do for you.

I dont quite understand what a friend's list would do for you... I understand that you want to keep track of your friends but the only way to communicate is through the message mailing feature in the profile....... or you want to watch their activity I suppose.

I guess my point is that why not use other software such as msn messenger or Yahoo messenger or any of those to keep friends on and you can chit chat and exchange files and pics through them. They work really well for instant messaging and such. I could only imagine that this would be difficult for gc.com to implement something that would do this for you.

I guess that a question comes out of this, what do you want to be able to do with a friends list?

I'm not bashing the idea, I guess I just want to know what it will do for you.

Back in the days of Dan's Stats site, you could watch other cachers in your area pretty easily. Just pull up your state list, and see what other cachers were doing with their find count. There was a link to their profile so you could see what caches they had found recently.

Maybe the site needs more than two levels of membership.

Okay, so the current premium membership costs about 8 CENTS a day. Are you saying that you want a 4 CENTS a day plan with less features or a 16 CENTS a day plan with more features? I would think that 8 CENTS a day would be doable by just about anybody. I really don't see the need for a cheaper plan. That's about how much I spend for gas when driving to the gas station to get more gas. ;)

--Marky