To Geocache Or Play In The Forums

I think this is my third visit to the Forums. Anyway, I do hear other Geocachers make mention of the Forums sometimes. But I do not know much about them.

My question is: Do you have more fun hanging out in the Forums or going out Geocaching ? :o

Please be honest with your answers. There is nothing wrong with enjoying the forums more than Geocaching or VS versa. :o

Me I like geocaching, or rather being stumped by caches that I cannot find. :D

My question is: Do you have more fun hanging out in the Forums or going out Geocaching ?

Good heavens! Not even close! I'm never happier than early Saturday morning standing on a carpet of pine needles spotted with sunshine listening to the peeping of frogs 490' feet from a cache.

But this makes a nice change from Drudge :o

I think this is my third visit to the Forums. Anyway, I do hear other Geocachers make mention of the Forums sometimes. But I do not know much about them.

My question is: Do you have more fun hanging out in the Forums or going out Geocaching ? :D

Please be honest with your answers. There is nothing wrong with enjoying the forums more than Geocaching or VS versa. :D

Me I like geocaching, or rather being stumped by caches that I cannot find. :D

You know I do both :o

The forums are great for rainy days like today, or days I have to work. I go caching on my days off, then visit the forums when I'm done caching.

BTW, thanks for replacing those logbooks for me today :o

They go hand in hand for me. I love to cache and that would not change if there were no forums. But I have also learned alot and met many fun cachers through the forums. Part of caching for me is the social aspect, so while I would cache without forums, the addition of being social in the forums and meeting people that I know through here is fun for me. So I can't rank one above the other. :o

The forums are great for rainy days like today

Rainy??? What are you talking about? It was 75 degrees and sunny today. Which is why I was mowing the grass, weeding the flower beds, and tilling the garden and not out having fun. Next weekend I'll be babysitting a sick spouse. Being an adult really stinks some times.

As for the forums vs. caching...

My nearest unfound cache is 40 miles away. I can't just jump up and decide to go caching. I can, however, make a pest of myself any time I choose on the forums. The forums are fun, but not nearly so fun as climbing above treeline at Cuchara to find GC19. You've cleared the first hurdle--some people are so intimidated that they don't even post. Find some areas you are comfortable talking and express yourself.

I've met quite a few cachers through the forums. I went hiking with one of our more infamous characters a few years ago and we'd never met prior to that day. He could've been an axe murderer or a cute Japanese girl and I wouldn't have known until I got there. I followed Jamie Z on his bike journey from Memphis to LA and then down the Yangtze River in China for two months. We've never met in real life, but we'll certainly share a beer or two if we do meet. There's a bunch of good people here. Amazingly enough, none of them are from Texas. :o :o :D:D:D

For myself, I love to browse the forums daily. I mean, you can't be out there ALL the time, and it is a good way to get tips, see how other people are doing, share stories, and generally be a part of the wider community. That's the main reason I cache in the first place: to interact with a variety of people from all over the world who share common interests. It's much the same as why I enjoy visiting archaeological sites. You feel a connection to the people that were there before you, just in this case they haven't been dead for hundreds or thousands of years. I think. :o

My question is: Do you have more fun hanging out in the Forums or going out Geocaching ?

Good heavens! Not even close! I'm never happier than early Saturday morning standing on a carpet of pine needles spotted with sunshine listening to the peeping of frogs 490' feet from a cache.

But this makes a nice change from Drudge :(

Frogs don't 'peep'. Peeping is the irritating sound that baby chickens aka chicks make. Frogs make a croaking sound aka 'ribbit-ribbit'. Frogs do not peep.

The forums are great for rainy days like today

Rainy??? What are you talking about? It was 75 degrees and sunny today. Which is why I was mowing the grass, weeding the flower beds, and tilling the garden and not out having fun. Next weekend I'll be babysitting a sick spouse. Being an adult really stinks some times.

There was some snow mixed in, too B)

7-10' expected about 20 miles NW of here :(

In about 3 weeks, I will be having surgery to correct a problem on my feet. This will keep me off the trail for about a month or so. The forums will be my only geocaching connection during my down time.

Edited by WH
Who in their right minds would prefer sitting in front of a computer to being outdoors?  I'm in the forums only when I can't be outdoors because I'm working, or its early in the morning or late at night and I've logged in to check my e-mail and do other computer related stuff.

Ditto ... I am able to peruse through the forums during the day while at work. Otherwise this injun can be found outdoors at my kids soccer, baseball, softball games ... mountain biking, exercising or playing in the yard. And occasionally, my wife lets me geocache ... :(

I'd frankly skip the forums completely if I had unfettered freedom to be outside. Just last weekend I burned my prairie. The IEPA even gave me a permit. Outdoor activities are fun.

I would be outside much more if I did not have family and job obligations. Being responsible for a class of students does not lend itself to dashing out to grab a cache. Luckily, I can access the forums during my lunch hour or before classes start.

Caching Hands down !

My forum time is usually only a couple hours a day . Unless the weather is crappy then I may hang round more.

I work nights so my forum time is split between mornings(after work) and evenings before work. I don't have the luxury of being on the Web at work , I don't have a desk job I work on the production floor!

Note: There are 2 of us Tiggers browsing these forums so it may appear that we are here more often but we really aren't . Just look at our post counts . Not that many considering we have been at this since Nov 2001. Unlike some others ! :(

Star

Frogs don't 'peep'. Peeping is the irritating sound that baby chickens aka chicks make. Frogs make a croaking sound aka 'ribbit-ribbit'. Frogs do not peep.

Here are a couple of links to audio clips of Spring Peepers (frogs!) peeping:

peepers (Real Player audio)

peepers (mp3)

Frogs do not peep. Ribbit-ribbit.

Ok, time for my $0.02(USD)....

Frogs ribbit,

Peepers peep.

So there. :lol:

Happy Caching

Jeff

Ribbit-peep :lol:

Lately, I guess I enjoy the forums better.

The other day, I had to make a quick drive to Kentucky, about an hour or so away. There was interstate construction, so made a detour. I noticed that there was several caches on my way, so I decided to go get a few. I found three very simple micros, but then gave up. I was hurting too bad to keep going. Pain is no fun.

Wandering around the forums, however, doesn't hurt as much. I can move around or adjust my chair to try to get comfy. I cn also walk around a bit. I can even take pills that interfere with my driving (and thereby geocaching) ability.

For me, for now, the forums are better.

Lately, I guess I enjoy the forums better.

The other day, I had to make a quick drive to Kentucky, about an hour or so away. There was interstate construction, so made a detour. I noticed that there was several caches on my way, so I decided to go get a few. I found three very simple micros, but then gave up. I was hurting too bad to keep going. Pain is no fun.

Wandering around the forums, however, doesn't hurt as much. I can move around or adjust my chair to try to get comfy. I cn also walk around a bit. I can even take pills that interfere with my driving (and thereby geocaching) ability.

For me, for now, the forums are better.

Sorry about the pain. After my knee went out yesterday, I understand, and agree completely.

It would be hard to keep my leg up like this, with an ice pack on my knee, if I was out Geocaching right now. :lol:

But this makes a nice change from Drudge :lol:

:lol: Obviously you have missed the joy of being out in the woods about this time of year when the Spring Peepers are doing a deafening chorus of PEEPS.

They're small but they're are froggy as they come.

NevaP, Geocacher, Birder and Frog-watcher :lol:

oh yeah, I'm definitely a forum-fly (the geo-equivalent of a bar-fly, only much more wholesome.....well, most of the time....)....and my geocaching is primarily done vicariously....through you all....

and I make no apologies for spending more time in the forums than out in the field.....hey! I'm a people-person......

:ph34r:

Do you have more fun hanging out in the Forums or going out Geocaching ?  :rolleyes:

Actually it is even. I am a snowbird living in San Felipe, Baja, Mexico, in the winter, and then move to a cache rich environment in the summer. So the fun is equal: Forum caching in the winter (Not too many caches here that I haven't placed) and GPS'r caching in the summer.

Edited by wornout