How Many Cachers In The Uk?

We are very curious as to how many cachers there actually are in the UK. We noticed the UK website mentioned there were 8800 people who cached in the UK, amongst them many foreigners. We were pleased to see we were in the top 500 (yes we actually counted them!) but are curious as to how many of these uk cachers are actually Uk residents. We noticed that, with four UK caches, imke's brother Elja, who lives in the Netherlands, was already half way up the list.

This also opens a new debate, which has been discussed on this site previously: Are there too many cachers? Surely part of the fun is that it is an exclusive group, and almost everyone knows each other. Although we only been caching for less than a year, we already notice the difference in volume. Also seem to bump into other cachers more frequently...

Edited by imke&john

I believe that there are 2474 active cachers who have found a cache in UK during the past month. (this includes anybody who found a uk cache, even if they were here on holiday ect)

Thanks Barry for helping with the stats

Edited by Deego

We have been caching for about a year and a half now and have also noticed a dramatic increase in cachers. I like the fact there are more about because it doesnt half make the cache meets a lot of fun :rolleyes: You just get to meet more and more people that have the same interest as you and thats great.

We were at a cache meet in Milton Keynes about a week ago and it was a brilliant night out. I also love meeting people "out in the filed"......have a chat for a while and sometimes even carry on caching with them .....Its all great fun :rolleyes:

NES (from GAZ NES and LAYLA ) xx

I believe that there are 2474 active cachers who have found a cache in UK during the past month. (this includes anybody who found a uk cache, even if they were here on holiday ect)

Does that include us? we slacked off last month due to trying to get our boat ready for the season only to bu**er up the outboard a few weeks ago so had to go caching yesterday! Doh!

Would have done the same today but the other half said 'let's cycle to a pub' now too pi**ed to go caching and too knackered to care.

Is this post useful or just off topic? I blame beer!

It's still her fault either way.

It certainly is more fun to have more in the game - especially as events have some meaning and one is always making new friends.

When I started I had to go 100 miles to find my nearest cache with only 37 caches in the country - now I see there are over 30 within 10 miles!

It certainly is more fun to have more in the game - especially as events have some meaning and one is always making new friends.

When I started I had to go 100 miles to find my nearest cache with only 37 caches in the country - now I see there are over 30 within 10 miles!

I agree with JS. When I started I had to travel miles after I had done the few in my area.

The more cachers, the more caches that get placed. Hopefully more nearer to me.

Numbers is the name of the game. If there ain't any caches to do, one would soon get fed up am move on to 'get a life'.

To answer the original question. I have only ever met 2 others that were caching the caches that I was after.