The Hunt/the Unusual

Anonymous'

I am opposite in that I rarely read the Geocaching topics forum but always read The Hunt The Unusual forum. The former has way to many topics in it most of which are (to an old cacher like myself with limited time) boring. The Hunt The Unusual forum, on the other hand, has mostly interesting topics because they are, well, unusual.

I agree though that there is a whole lot of overlap. But same could be said for many of the forums.

Back in the day, there were separate forums for "The Hunt" -- to describe interesting stories that occurred while finding a cache -- and "The Unusual" -- to describe odd things seen along the way. Since there was so much overlap and less usage than other forums, they were combined a few years back.

I always hesitate to move a topic from "General Geocaching Topics" to the "Hunt/Unusual" forum because it gets relatively less exposure there. Perhaps if I moved threads that clearly qualified, more folks would visit? I'd rather take a light touch with moderating, as I already move quite a few threads that clearly belong in other forums, and it's harder to tell what fits in this forum.

One nice thing about "The Hunt/The Unusual" is that long-running threads can thrive there because they stay on the first page a long time. A new topic in "General Geocaching Topics" will ordinarily slide off the page in a few days.

One nice thing about "The Hunt/The Unusual" is that long-running threads can thrive there because they stay on the first page a long time. A new topic in "General Geocaching Topics" will ordinarily slide off the page in a few days.

That's what I like about it. There are some interesting threads that stick around for a long time there. In the general forum, even the most interesting threads slip away after a few days.

That's what I like about it. There are some interesting threads that stick around for a long time there. In the general forum, even the most interesting threads slip away after a few days.

That's true.

Ha! That's why I like the 'General' forum. :lol: