Silvermarc's Personal Geocoin...

SilverMarc

It looks like we'll be pretty close to the end of the available coins by the Order Deadline - Sunday June 5th.

If unclaimed coins remain after that, we'll make an announcement here for final orders until the entire run is claimed.

This is a limited edition of 300 coins, so if you have a mind to add one or more to your collection, getting in now is the surest way to satisfaction.

http://silvermarc.com/geocoin/order/

--Marc

June 2, 2005 @ 1:23 AM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

I'm a little unclear.  The coin refers to cointracking.com, but has no tracking number, right?  So these coins are not trackable?  Why reference cointracking.com?  I don't get it.

During my research for the production of my signature geocoin, it became clear to me that a "one-stop shop" for coin trading would be a useful solution that would appeal to a great number of coin enthusiasts on both sides of the trading transaction.

CoinTracking.com is for Coin Trading enthususiasts and Coin Series producers to get together under one roof to initiate trades, offer and seek specific coins to add to their collections, and to manage the distribution of Newly Minted Coin Series. Tracking Numbered coins is covered, and tracking of Non-Numbered coins is supported, but perhaps not in the exact way you'd compare it with numbered coins.

We're trying to launch the site as full-featured as possible right from the start, so we've been concentrating on the coding and not trying to "throw open the doors" like it's some kind of race.

We'll have one more round of beta testing next week, and plan to launch immediatly after that, perhaps by June 10th or 15th.

I make my living as a Web Developer, moving in the past 10 years from a freelance web designer to a hands-on leader of a small firm using outside php/mySQL programmers, art directors, flash and other web-based experts to build web sites, produce online applications for clients nationwide, and provide full-featured (and seriously affordable) hosting plans to web masters of large and small sites. It only seemed fitting to focus some of my enjoyment of geocaching and geocoins into an online destination for others like me.

And that's why you might have noticed a change early on from the original coin design using the "www.geocaching.com" url to the revised design using the "www.cointracking.com" url. My coins, my site, it seemed like a perfect connection.

--Marc

June 2, 2005 @ 1:31 AM

when will these be minted? or are they already in the process?

great looking coin!!!

The next step is for me to evaluate the art they produce for the 3D side, and the 2D side that's being made from my mechanicals. I haven't asked about the time frame for the actual production of the coins until the art phase is completed. All the mints say "a few weeks" but I haven't felt it necessary to question them about this detail at this point. Never rush an artist (or his mint!)

[grin]

--Marc

June 8, 2005 @ 10:41 PM

Last call to put in an order for this coin.

Going once...

--Marc

June 6, 2005 @ 12:35 AM

Going twice...

--Marc

June 7, 2005 @ 11:17 PM

Gone...

Actually, there are a handful of coins still available, and there are about 20 extras among the coins I'm buying myself for any latecomers who might happen by, but if you -do- want one, now is the time.

Enough said!

Thanks to all who are now a part of this Limited (300 coins) series!

More news as it becomes available.

--Marc

June 8, 2005 @ 10:48 PM

Does anyone know the reason that typical minted US Currency coins have the fronts and backs “flipped” vertically, but all the sample coins and medallions I’ve examined do not?

As a "purest" I would like to have my geocoin "flipped" like traditional coins.

Do other countries's coins follow suit?

Do you think this is a clever addition to "our" coins, or a dopey way to go...

Remember, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

[grin!]

(only kidding about that "stupid people" crack, in case anyone's truly offended. And if you are...)

[bigger grin!]

--Marc

June 9, 2005 @ 3:29 PM

This wasn't as helpful as I'd hoped! :lol:

From the US Mint FAQ:

"Why is the Flip Side 'Flipped'? In other words, why, when you flip a coin over after looking at the heads side, is the picture on the tails side upside down?

All U.S. coinage is produced with what is commonly called a "coin turn." That means that the reverse side (tails) of the coins is upside down to the obverse side (heads). While we have researched the history of this practice, we have been unable to determine the exact reason for this custom. The Mint still produces U.S. coinage in this manner for traditional reasons and not due to any legal requirement."

I have my coins in a display case that has a mirror in the back so you can see the back of the coin. If it was flipped, the back would be upside down.

Same would be true for any clear cases that you could view from the back.

So for display purposes, it would seem to be better to keep it as is, and not flip it.

Here is the estimated schedule from the Highland Mint for the production of our coins:

It should take approximately 3-4 weeks to complete the sculpted side.

Once you approve the sculpt it should take 1-2 weeks from approval to ship your order.

So it looks a like a six-week turnaround, then I'll pack and and mail them out to everyone immediately after I receive them.

The CoinTracking.com web site will be launching in time for everyone to list the coins they intend to trade, so there should be a lively market to help assuage the summer doldrums!

--Marc

June 9, 2005 @ 10:22 PM

I have my coins in a display case that has a mirror in the back so you can see the back of the coin. If it was flipped, the back would be upside down.

Same would be true for any clear cases that you could view from the back.

So for display purposes, it would seem to be better to keep it as is, and not flip it.

I will not flip the reverse, I hope this one will go in the front row! [grin]

--Marc

June 28, 2005 @ 11:47 AM PST

Anyword on the status of your coin yet?

Yes, word arrived Friday in the form of a photo of the 3D sculpted mold of the back side of the coin.

But there was a problem - they didn't sculpt the typeface as I provided it on my mechanicals. (Don't ask me why...)

I've been in touch with the project manager about this incorrect sculpt, and I'll have more info on Monday. I'll email all of us on the Pre-Order list with full details immediatly after I've resolved the situation by phone.

And here's the link where I'll post updates: http://SilverMarc.com/geocoin

Here's the photo that I received - you can clearly see the problem(s) that are to be resolved. (And, you can see how terrific the satellite and the rays look! - Once the type error is resolved this is a great looking sculpted mold!)

CointrackingSculpt.jpg

--Marc

July 17, 2005 @ 11:57 AM

Edited by SilverMarc
Just sent an e-mail expressing interest in 2 of your coins. Hope i'm not too late.

Just in under the wire (and I still have a few extras on hand that I "over-ordered" for myself expecting a last minute rush). So there's still time "while supplies last" as they say on TV.

--Marc

July 17, 2005 @ 5:14 PM

Okay, I admit, I'm not very observant. But what is it that doesn't match the one you originally posted? They look the same to me. I feel like I'm playing the "what's wrong with this picture game" and failing miserably! B)

I'm glad I am not the only one who cannot see much difference. Then again I do not have the original artwork and am only looking at the small pics on my screen.

Okay, I admit, I'm not very observant.  But what is it that doesn't match the one you originally posted?  They look the same to me.  I feel like I'm playing the "what's wrong with this picture game" and failing miserably!  B)

Here is a link to the mechanicals that were provided to the mint (use the links across the top to see the full-sized separations they were given to work with):

http://silvermarc.com/coin/

The typeface I'm using is called "Device" (on the Mac), it has a look as if it was stamped by some sort of... device, of course! Also, the design of the front of the coin is reminiscent of the New York Subway token:

http://www.lifeinlegacy.com/2003/0419/Tokenx.jpg

I am standing by my original desire to have this coin produced as designed with no concessions. After all, I'm working for about 100 picky coin buyers!

--Marc

July 17, 2005 @ 10:46 PM

Here's the resolution of the typeface issue: I'm using a typeface called "Device" that has what I'd call a "machine-struck" look (that must be why it was named Device). The mint rep explained to me that when they do the preliminary test strikes of coins, they increase the pressure until they get it right, and to judge the correctness, they look at the letters. Too soft a strike and the letters don't "fill in," in fact, an incorrect strike creates letters that look like my typeface. They felt that if they used that typeface, people would think that it was a bad strike and that the coins were badly minted.

In my discussions with them, what became clear was that they were looking at the typeface issue from the point of view of experienced minting people, when from my artistic/design point of view, that look was exactly what I wanted.

Hence the reason they produced the sculpt with a deviation from my original mechanicals, (although they should have contacted me about it first to save them an extra sculpt!) They will be making a revised 3D sculpt using my mechanicals as provided, and I also received a proof of the front of the coin. On the front side the spirals will be a second burn (approx .003 off the polished basin) and will therefore be half the height of the first burn (approx .007 off the basin).

Here's the mint's proof of the Front side of the coin indicating the two different raised levels:

SilverMarcOBV1.gif

--Marc

July 21, 2005 @ 11:33 AM

The Space Shuttle lifted off again today, and we, too, are "go for liftoff" with this 3D sculpt that matches (even surpasses) the original art. On Friday I'll request the exact number of coins to be minted, so if anyone else wants to purchase from the initial minting, this is last call.

Post a "Seeking" listing in my Coin Edition at http://cointracking.com/ and I'll email the prices.

Cointracking1.jpg

--Marc

July 26, 2005 @ 8:38 PM

At 5:00pm today I'll tell the mint how many SilverMarc New York City coins to produce, and coin purchases from the initial minting will end. After that, coins will be available via trading with, assuredly, plently of coin traders. Thanks to all who ordered! Along with all of you I'm looking forward to shiny silver coins in the next couple of weeks!

Here's the list of purchasers: http://silvermarc.com/geocoin/

--Marc

July 29, 2005 @ 12:04 PM

I'm posting this info here (since I started the thread I guess nobody can complain too much - not that anyone would have to!)

That said, here's a short announcement that pertains to our CoinTracking.com web site:

Hi there Coin Edition Managers!

Willie, our enthusiastic and ultra-slick programmer, has just added a new feature to simplify the entire

process of managing the payments for coin series you produce - a built-in PayPal Shopping Cart can be

turned on so everyone who has a "Seeking" listing can actually make payment for their ordered coins

directly to you.

You can implement this feature in any Coin Edition by using your "Manage This Edition" link, indicating the

per coin price, and entering your PayPal payment email address.

It's simple and easy, and we think it will become a "must use" feature for anyone using our automated

site to aid in the management and distibution of coins they're producing.

Coming very soon: We'll also be upgrading this feature to pull in the purchaser's shipping address too, and

export that data to an excel or text file for you to use for shipping labels.

So go ahead and turn on the new PayPal Payment feature in your Coin Editions and see how it can work

for you!

If you haven't taken a look at CoinTracking.com, we invite you to click on over and check out the Trading Lists and Coin Editions that traders have posted there!

--Marc

August 12, 2005 @ 10:27 AM

UPS Online Tracking reports:

"Your package is in the UPS system and is on time with a scheduled New York City delivery date of Aug 18, 2005."

Post a "Seeking" listing in the SilverMarc Coin Edition at http://cointracking.com/view_series.php?sid=3 and I'll update it to "Shipped" when your coin(s) go out to you. (Or just check your mailbox soon!)

--Marc

August 17, 2005 @ 10:53 PM

I hadn't really thought about how heavy a load the entire order was going to be when I ordered mine.  I was alarmed to see the box marked as 11.6Kg :D It is quite worth the effort when you set eyes on all those coins!

It was like a treasure chest filled with silver! I'm sorry to say there are only a couple of short stacks of coins now to make me feel wealthy and powerful, but you'll have that hefty coin in your own hand soon enough.

The ones that didn't go out today are already packed and going to the Post Office tomorrow at 10:00am!

Look for them soon in a mailbox near you!

Happy Trading!

--Marc

August 19, 2005 @ 12:55 AM

Edited by SilverMarc

I just got back in town (I was about 25 miles from your event, but couldn't make it :lol:) and my coin was waiting for me. I was really looking forward to this one. Excellent job, I really like the look of "true" coins such as this one more than the others. The extra expense was well worth it. I also appreciated the mailing list status updates along the way.