Silvermarc's Personal Geocoin...

SilverMarc

CoinDraft-Both-SILVER.gif

I have designed a Geocoin, and I've decided that I'd prefer to produce a true "minted" coin, but the cost is more than I can give myself permission to spend...

If I order a run of 250 coins, and make them available to interested geocachers at cost, it becomes affordable for me (and other interested participants).

So I've decided to put out the word that I will produce enough coins for anyone who wants some. There is no profit-motive here, I will gladly make available all invoices etc., but I certainly don't need 100 coins, and if enough others are interested, we can all grab a few at cost.

This will be a 1.5 inch diameter nickel/silver coin with a reeded edge. It will not be a super-high relief (like medallions), but will be a relief that makes it look more like a traditional coin. The die charges for the front and back come to about $600, and for 250 or more coins it's $1.85 per coin, which works out to a final cost of about $5 per coin.

If you wish to put your name on the "pre-order" list, please go to:

http://silvermarc.com/geocoin/ and sign in.

I expect to send in my order within the next two weeks, as the design is locked in, and I've evaluated and selected a firm to produce them.

Thanks for your interest!

--Marc

April 23, 2005 @ 11:44 PM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

Die charges of $600.00, where are you going to get these minted? Most places only charge $100.00 per side and KV coins only charges $75.00 per side. The $1.85 per coin is a great price at such a low mint, but that die fee is outrageous!

I will get to you with how many I am interested in.

Damenace

The die and production costs for a "true" minted coin such as the Alaska geocoin and Silvermarcs' geocoin ARE significantly higher than for other coins. Production is a multi-step process that goes from the finished artwork, to a plaster or clay sculpture to creation of the metal die. Each coin is then individually struck in a press and then polished. All these steps are much more labor intensive than the techniques used for the inlay and enamel coins and the level of detail in a "struck" coin is much higher than is possible from other techniques. One will be able to see the individual needles on the spruce trees and the stamens in the fireweed flowers and count the hairs of the moose on the Alaska coin. Silvermarc's coin has lots of fine etching detail that would not be possible with other production processes.

Both methods produce very striking and attractive coins, so it's a matter of what the person who commissions the coin wants. The die costs for the Alaska coin are $2000, which got a lot of detail put into a small area. The upcoming Ladybug Kids' geocoin design is much simpler than the Alaska geocoin design and the die costs are comparable with what Silvermarc paid.

The die and production costs for a "true" minted coin such as the Alaska geocoin and Silvermarcs' geocoin ARE significantly higher than for other coins. Production is a multi-step process that goes from the finished artwork, to a plaster or clay sculpture to creation of the metal die. Each coin is then individually struck in a press and then polished. All these steps are much more labor intensive than the techniques used for the inlay and enamel coins and the level of detail in a "struck" coin is much higher than is possible from other techniques. One will be able to see the individual needles on the spruce trees and the stamens in the fireweed flowers and count the hairs of the moose on the Alaska coin. Silvermarc's coin has lots of fine etching detail that would not be possible with other production processes.

Both methods produce very striking and attractive coins, so it's a matter of what the person who commissions the coin wants. The die costs for the Alaska coin are $2000, which got a lot of detail put into a small area. The upcoming Ladybug Kids' geocoin design is much simpler than the Alaska geocoin design and the die costs are comparable with what Silvermarc paid.

Thank you for the clarification, and the education. I was unaware of this type of work. I promise I meant my comments as no disrespect to the design of the coin or your integrity of the info. I knew there had to be a reason and that is why I asked. As stated I will get back with you concerning the amount of coins I will purchase, it will be no less that three.

Damenace

Die charges of $600.00, where are you going to get these minted? Most places only charge $100.00 per side and KV coins only charges $75.00 per side. The $1.85 per coin is a great price at such a low mint, but that die fee is outrageous!

I will get to you with how many I am interested in.

Damenace

These are "minted" coins, die-struck, and with a look and feel that puts them in a higher quality realm.

I have over 30 samples from KV, D&R Military, Quality Lapel Pins, and a few others, but the real coins were just the best, period.

I'm not having those ordinary "medallions" made, these coins will be really fantastic!

And at $5 each, the price is about the same as the lower quality process, as long as I can order 250 instead of 100 total.

--Marc

April 24, 2005 @ 11:44 AM

These are "minted" coins, die-struck, and with a look and feel that puts them in a higher quality realm.

Are KV coins not 'struck'? Can you explain what specifically is done different / left out??

(or anyone have a link that can explain the difference?)

/edit

Also, I haven't seen information about shipping? will that be figured out later or what??

Edited by welch
Are KV coins not 'struck'? Can you explain what specifically is done different / left out??

(or anyone have a link that can explain the difference?)

/edit

Also, I haven't seen information about shipping? will that be figured out later or what??

There is an excellent description of the entire process on the Highland Mint's web site:

http://www.highlandmint.com/

They're a Florida Mint, and they're in the running for my choice of mints to use when I decide next week.

Once I know the cost of the coins and how many are being struck and shipped, I'll work out the final costs. I figure the best way is to use the USPS with insurance required. I think this would also be the least expensive way to ship.

More info will follow, of course, and I'm happy to see such interest - I'm looking forward to adding to everyone's geocoin collections!

You can pre-order at: http://silvermarc.com/geocoin/

--Marc

April 25, 2005 @ 9:34 AM

Edited by SilverMarc
CoinDraft-Both-SILVER.gif

This will be a 1.5 inch diameter nickel/silver coin with a reeded edge. It will not be a super-high relief (like medallions), but will be a relief that makes it look more like a traditional coin. The die charges for the front and back come to about $600, and for 250 or more coins it's $1.85 per coin, which works out to a final cost of about $5 per coin.

If you wish to put your name on the "pre-order" list, please go to:

http://silvermarc.com/geocoin/ and sign in.

Here's an update on the status:

I've spoken to Pressed Metal Products in Vancouver, The Highland Mint in Florida, and the Alaska Mint in Anchorage. I expect to go with one of these three coin mints for this series.

Because the GPS satellite on the back (which they all call "the front") has such a wonderful quality of detail, we're going with a "3D model" for that side. The art department will create an actual sculpture of that side (about 10 times the size of the coin), and use that to produce the die. The final coin will have a "frosted" relief like that of the presidents heads on American coins. I'm told by all of the mints that this will look terrific (way better than line-art), and I have no doubt that it will.

The "SilverMarc" side will be "2D" and not have to start with a sculptured model. Both sides will have 3 height levels for the elements: the coin level will be shiny (the clear areas in my image), a raised level will be for the "mesh" design on the front and the "radials" on the back, and a higher raised level will be for the text on both sides and for the 3D satellite relief. None of the raised areas will be higher than the outer rim, so the coin won't rock when flat on a surface.

We're going with the Nickel/Silver alloy because it's shiny and will look like silver (and silver in color), but will be less costly per coin. It will be solid and not be plated in any way. But the "reeded" edge is not possible on Nickel/Silver, so it will be a flat edge (like on the American nickel). I'm going for a "real coin" here, not a medallion, and I've remained true to my ideals regarding that!

Because one of the mints sends their production overseas, I'll go with one of the other two mints who produce their die-struck coins on-premises. I feel better that they have control of the entire process, and I also prefer to be paying a firm where they're earning their profits form actual work that they do themselves. The cheaper offshore costs are totally negated by the extra profit tacked on to that, so there is no cost savings to us whatsoever by using a firm who outsources.

I am receiving samples of Nickel/Silver coins from the two firms today, as I want to see and feel their coins in person. I am trying to keep our price-point per coin at $5 to $6 each, and with 144 coins already promised (and my 50 on top of that), we're working closer and closer to that price point! All told, the cost for the modeling, the coins, the little plastic envelopes, and the shipping from the mint to me will be totalled and divided by the number of coins made to determine the price per coin that we'll each pay. Postage rates for my mailing of your coins to you will be determined later.

I hope to be able to start the coin production by the end of next week, so if you happen upon any discussion threads where others might want to grab a few very cool geocoins, please send them to the link in the quote above. The more the demand, the lower the cost for us all!

More to follow as news develops. Thanks to everyone who's "on the list" for the SilverMarc Geocoin!

--Marc

April 28, 2005 @ 11:19 AM

Just a comment on Pressed Metal. I dealt with them for the Calgary GeoCoin, and they were great through the whole process. They maintained great communication through the entire process, and delivered ahead of their original schedule.

I spoke to Alan at Pressed Metal also, early in the process, and his expertise and information is what gave me the insight to know that my coins would be better with the actual die-struck process.

He also provided a very clear price estimate and some sample coins to help me understand what I was looking for.

--Marc

Since I just shelled out $ for my own coin recently, I'd be willing to trade you one of mine for one of yours. If you're not interested in a trade, perhaps someone who is planning on ordering a few would consider ordering one to trade with me. Thanx.

I'm in for 3, so I'd consider trading one of these for one of yours!

Great design.  I'll sign up for a couple.  Just one dumb question - when does cointracking.com go online?  Is this site someone's personal project or do you think it will get some traction with other coins?

We're looking at a debut before the end of May. It is not a "one-coin" project.

--Marc

May 2, 2005 @ 11:35 PM

I am going to order at least 250 coins on Monday May 16th, so final pre-orders will be accepted until then.

After that, there will most certainly be coins available by myself and others for trading, but I can easily have more coins struck for -this- run if demand warrants. Please add your preorder to the list by the end of the day on Sunday May 15th if you want to be assured of receiving coins.

Price is still hard to pin down - lots of back and forth between the three prospective mints and me on details (I'm an artist and this is artistic expression at it's highest, so I'm really nit-picking to be sure I get a coin that's worth the effort I've put into it, and -shows- it!).

I'm hoping for that $5 - $6 per coin cost as I originally estimated, not including shipping and PayPal fees if you opt to make payment that way. Money Orders will be accepted as well.

Pre-Order Here: http://silvermarc.com/geocoin

More info to follow - tell your coin collecting friends it's still not too late to grab a SilverMarc, one-time series, Personal Geocoin.

--Marc

May 6, 2005 @ 2:49 PM

Edited by SilverMarc
I tried to go to that website and it is not working.......I would like two of your coins please.

~Ladycacher

Yes, you are correct, I uploaded a minor change to the code and it "broke"! My fault!

It's fixed now, sorry.

http://silvermarc.com/geocoin/

Update: I am almost certain that I am going with the Alaska Mint. Their sample nickel/silver (through-and-through) coin looked great; they will build a 3D clay model of the satellite side for a higher quality relief; and they'll individually put each coin into a clear, soft plastic slip since I'm sending them out to so many people.

The person giving us the final price returns from vacation next week, and I'll have the details for you here. When I post the price, I'll have made my payment and only the orders on the Pre-Order list prior to that will actually be ordered.

--Marc

May 10, 2005 @ 4:49 PM

I am in for 2 on the site. I may get my coins done ther also if I ever decide on what I want.

I am -impatiently- awaiting my rep's return from this week's vacation! (And by "impatiently" I don't mean to imply that it's their fault - vacations are okay - I'm just doing the "tapping my feet," and "drumming my fingers" stuff until she gets back!)

I think they'll do the best job!

Next week I'll have all the details, even the shipping rates to Canada, and the UK.

--Marc

May 11, 2005 @ 1:52 PM

...Next week I'll have all the details, even the shipping rates to Canada, and the UK.

The Pre-Order List is now closed, and I expect to have Final Prices and Ordering Info posted by the end of the week (May 21st).

More to follow.

--Marc

May 18, 2005 @ 11:38 PM

SM, if someone fails to purchase after requesting one, could I be put on the waiting list for 1-2?

Thanks,

Robinego

Yes, there will be a payment deadline for people who have pre-ordered, and after that I'll have another list for ordering any "unclaimed" pre-order coins. I'll post updates in this thread.

--Marc

May 19, 2005 @ 9:06 AM

Great news: I’ve selected The Highland Mint to produce the 1.5 inch diameter, solid Nickel/Silver, reeded edge, SilverMarc Personal New York Geocoin. My choice was between them and The Alaska Mint, but the prices within the continental US proved to be no match.

The final price per coin is $5.45, and postage and insurance will be added to each order.

I've sent an email to everyone on the Pre-Order list, and set a payment deadline date, Friday June 3rd. After that, I'll open the list again for anyone to order unclaimed coins from this limited run (300 total).

If you're on the Pre-Order list and didn't receive the email, contact me. The Pre-Order list is:

http://silvermarc.com/geocoin

Thanks for joining in! Everybody’s participation has made it so much less expensive overall to have another coin to add to our collections, and I thank you all on behalf of us all!

--Marc

May 27, 2005 @ 2:29 PM

Is anyone else receiving just about every email regarding these coins? I am getting everyones reply email which they are sending their addresses to Marc about their payment through paypal. Although i can use this for this years Christmas card list, i don't think everyone wants their addresses going out like this. Maybe a quick fix is in order? Thanks Marc.

Is anyone else receiving just about every email regarding these coins? I am getting everyones reply email which they are sending their addresses to Marc about their payment through paypal. Although i can use this for this years  Christmas card list, i don't think everyone wants their addresses going out like this. Maybe a quick fix is in order? Thanks Marc.

Yes, fixed!

A big "Oops" on my part. Replying to the email sent the email to the Mail List. That list is no longer needed now, so I killed it.

Six to eight weeks is what I'm told for production, but others have told me it's generally much faster. There are a couple of approval steps that occur first (okay on the mold etc.) so I can't estimate a timeline yet, but I expect to be able to shortly.

I will continue to post the status of the entire process here as it unfolds.

--Marc

May 27, 2005 @ 9:26 PM