Ammo can?!

Guest skyboy

OK, got my new GPS fired up and getting used to it (still with my trusty compass in hand).... anyway, thinking about planting a stash here in Southern Utah, St. George area but I have 2 questions.

1- Do I have to use an ammo box or will a coffe can be acceptable? Are there any 'required' contents of the can besides 1 gift and a log book?

2- Since there are currently no cans in my area is it worth the effort if no one is around here to find it?

P.S. Im thinking I finally have a use for this polaroid camera that collects dust. I will drop a picture in every cache I hunt. icon_smile.gif

Coffee cans tend to rust (as do ammo cans). Best container I've found is a simple tupperware container. Plastic lasts virtually forever and seals and reseals very well.

I've used tupperware and an ammo can for my two caches. Time will tell if they were a good choice.

I'd try hiding the cache. The more remote, the bigger the challenge. And like everyone has been saying, "if you stash it they will come"

icon_wink.gif Jeremy

Do most go under a rock, under a tree? How do you secure it to the location? How hidden is acceptable? Should we make them start lifting up rocks and digging into snake holes? confused.gif

I guess im looking for a spot that is hidden from plain site but able to be found without much trouble for a fellow "cacher"?

Guest Mike_Teague

Who knows. The game has only existed for about 5 months... There has been no environmental damage to any, unless they've been "compromised" (i.e. the Original Stash, plundered, and left uncovered)

All 3 of my caches that are still known to exist were in tupperware containers, and presumably are still surviving...

Mine are in plain view, but you need to be within several feet(about 20 at the most) to see them.. When I planted mine, I was trying to make it so that they were "off the beaten path", but EASILY visible to anyone specifically looking for them...

Still remains to be seen how various caches survive as time goes on...

I know of one that was discovered by non-cachers, they left a nice entry in the log book and didn't take anything. They were trying to get some more information about the structure the cache was hidden in and stumbled onto it. I'd make sure I don't hide it in anything that draws attention. Maybe close to an attraction (natural or manmade) but not in it.

Guest CaptainCurmudgeon

No firm rules. We're making it up as we go.

But I think it's a good idea to make it a bit of a walk from any road -- including dirt -- and any trail. Avoid the obvious, since to a GPS receiver all locations are equally possible.

I've done an ammo can, but the two boxes in the truck (waiting for me to get a little time to stash them) are plastic. My ammo can is just nestled in a little bunch of sagebrush. The first stash I found was a 4.5 gallon food storage bucket (Zion Perma-Pak?) two-thirds buried in the ground. That one is going to be around for a long, long, time.

But the main thing is to get out there and do it. No one but some life-less obsessive nutcase goes around nitpicking what others do.