Mapsend Software

I have Mapsend Topo and DirectRoute. I was reading a previous post, and got the hint that there might be new software out. I noticed the cover of the Topo is different, and I see that it is also 3D, is there a newer version of DirectRoute? I looked on Magellans website, but can't find any versions of either. My Topo is v4.20D and DR is 1.00a. I bought them both in the Fall.

Thanks

I'm not sure about Direct Route, but Magellan has come up with a newer TOPO software. It is called TOPO USA 3D. You do have to purchase it. It does not upgrade existing 4.20 version, however on their website, they do discount the price if you are a registered Topo USA 4.20 owner.

ALthough Magellan offers an upgrade path, you usually can do as well or even better buying the new version at street prices (IIRC I could have upgraded to T3D for $99, but I bought it at compuplus for $65). T3D has more contour data and updated street data, but if you're not that unhappy with your 4.20 Topo you might just want to stay with it. The 3D feature is a neat gee-whiz feature for a good 45 seconds, but then one finds that one wonders what's for lunch.

The most recent version I have heard of for DR is 2.00f (or something like that). THere is little change; reportedly the XP SP2 patch has been incorporated and some road data has been implemented. Magellan is not pushing this as an improved product, and although some have pushed customer support to allow them to upgrade, I don't see any reason to exert much effort. It *appears* (Magellan is rather tight-lipped about their plans in general) that a more substantial upgrade is supposed to come along sometime in the near future for DR. I am hopeful that in addition to the planned "annual map data updates," there will some features that make this a more compelling upgrade.

The DR version you and I have (1.0) came out around the beginning of 2004. At that time, Magellan had indicated there would be annual updates from the NavTech street database. Sometime after the first of the year, many of us started noticing a message on starting up our GPSrs with DR that we should contact Magellan for an update.

Magellan says there is no update available yet (they don't want to count 2.0 and I don't care to force the issue), but they say something is in the works and they will email registered users about it later in the year when it becomes available.

So "normally" has yet to be established. My appraisal of the situation is that their resources have been focussed on the Explorist 4/5/600 releases. Who knows. There was a patch on the web page for 1.0 users who loaded the XP SP2 upgrade.

I'm not sure about Direct Route, but Magellan has come up with a newer TOPO software. It is called TOPO USA 3D. You do have to purchase it. It does not upgrade existing 4.20 version, however on their website, they do discount the price if you are a registered Topo USA 4.20 owner.

Or you can buy it from GPS city for the same price if yours it not registered, they said I had never registered mine which was a bunch of bull, so I found it for the same price at GPS city. I think I paid about $85.00

Magellan says ... something is in the works and they will email registered users about it later in the year when it becomes available.

Does anyone know if this will be a free or paid update? I can live without DR for a while if it is just going to cost me more in a few months.

Thanks,

Brian

I don't think anyone but Magellan knows (if even they do yet). We don't have any precedent on DR itself yet, but when we look what they've done with other programs we have a few clues.

DR replaced MapSend Streets & Destinations in the product line; Topo3D replaced MapSend Topo USA. Both of these used new NavTech street databases, a licensed product supplanting the free TIGER database used for the old products. So I could see a justification for a rather stiff upgrade fee--although when the upgrade price ($99) is as much or more than street retail, it doesn't seem to me that Magellan is doing their customers much of a favor in this regard.

Minor upgrades have been a bit of a mixed bag. When MapSend Topo went from 3.00 to 4.20d, the upgrade was free for awhile if you could shake it out of customer support, and then something like $25 for them to send the CD. However, the changes from one version to the next were minimal...the addition of expicit SD support, and improved onscreen track display. I think the same $25 and some bickering with customer support will get you the DR 2.00f to replace 1.0, but all that gets you is some slightly newer map data and a freely available XP SP2 patch.

So...if there is substantial feature improvement in DR 3.0, your guess is as good as any. I'm hopeful enough about feature set changes and pessimistic enough about upgrade fees to doubt that the fee will be trivial. If you can wait for what could be months and months, that's the safest path to take for conserving money.

Edit: If someone has occasion to speak to customer support, they sometimes will relay what they know of developments. It might be worth asking them when the next DR release is anticipated, what features are planned, and what the upgrade policy will be. Just don't expect a satisfying answer.

Edited by embra