Off Your Rocker Caches

MiloBloom

Are any of you that have travelled to the southern United States familiar with the `Off Your Rocker' series of caches?

After two trips to and from Florida, having tried to find about 15 of them, I have only successfully found one. Have any of you had any better luck with these?

Im not sure if I should describe them to those who havent heard of them, but they are extremely urban, 35mm film cases for the most part, and require great stealth, combined with lousy signal with 20 feet of the hiding spots, etc. etc.

I like the idea of them, but my lack of success is frustrating!!!

Thanks

Dave

I haven't tried them, but I will say that I find it much less enjoyable when you can't get a good GPS signal. Why? Well, as my girlfriend said one time when we were having trouble finding a cache due to poor signal "It's one thing if the cache is hard to find, but not knowing where to look is another entirely."

Well, that's not exactly what she said, but close enough. I'd have to agree, though. I like a challenge, but I don't like having to comb 400 square metres of bush/concrete/whatever else to even get an idea of where the cache is.

Of course, sometimes it's unavoidable... there are some really nice spots where one just can't get a good signal. But I much prefer having a good signal.

Edited by Tidalflame

I tried several on the way down the I75 in January. The ones I tried wound up to be right in front of the Cracker Barrel restaurants at the interchanges. I quit when I saw they were placed at the front of the restaurant in plain view of the diners. I wasn't comfortabe groping around in front of 30 or 40 people. These are the only ones I tried since they were on my route.

Yeah, its a Cracker Barrel theme, to get you off your rocker, off the rockers in front of the restaurant. Ultra high urban muggle situation.

Losing the signal isnt what makes it difficult. You can get a good idea where to look from 100 feet away. Think going to a Tim Hortons, and getting on your knees without anyone noticing you.

I think the series is more than one cacher hiding them, for maintenance purposes. I use an Etrex Vista right now.

Cheers

Yeah, its a Cracker Barrel theme, to get you off your rocker, off the rockers in front of the restaurant. Ultra high urban muggle situation.

I wish they wouldn't approve caches like this. I abort these missions and feel disappointed that the stasher didn't have the sense to find a better hiding place. Geocaching started out as the cache container being secondary to the adventure of getting there. There's no sport in these other types of caches and the likelihood of local police getting involved is very high. I saw on the news one time when the bomb squad was called in to "disarm" a Geocache placed near a building. These guys have better things to do than evacuate restaurants and blow up tupperware containers.

That's my beef for the day!

Cheers!

C-A