Backpack W/hydration Bladder

Skip_

Depends on the size and features you want. I just did a review for a Mountainsmith Approach II in Today's Cacher zine. Its an excellent pack that is compatible with hydration bladders. I have a Platypus Hoser 3 in mine. I prefer Platypus bladders to Camelbak ones because they don't impart a plastic taste to the water the way Camelbak bladders do. I had several Camelbak bladders and replaced them all with Platypus.

There are a number of excellent pack manufacturers. What you need to think about are the features you want in a pack. Frame or not, how many cubic inches, number and layout of external pockets, panel load or top load, single main compartment or divided, padded hip belt or not, etc...

Of course you want a hydration pack so make sure it has that feature (many if not most do these days).

Some top manufacturers are Mountainsmith, Arc'teryx, Lowe, Camelbak, Kelty, Gregory, Dana Design,The North Face, Deuter, Jansport, Osprey, Marmot and Jack Wolfskin. The key is to look for the features you want and don't get hung up on brand. LL Bean and REI also sell proprietary branded packs that are excellent values and, as Idiosyncratic mentioned, Campmor.com is a great source. Nice selection. Good service and decent prices. REI is another good source for daypacks.

Edited by briansnat

I came across this. The price definitely is attractive, it looks like it should do what I need it to do (mostly fairly simple day hiking for caching) and it has more room for extra layers than what I'm using now (a definite plus in New England). I also wouldn't have to take off my pack and whip out a water bottle anymore. I've never heard of the brand before. Any thoughts from anyone with more experience buying this stuff?

From what i experienced with my Outdoor Products pack, the bite valve tends to drip, and I know others that have a leaking bladder problem on the seams. Not a great products from what i have used and seen. They sell these at Target. Wish i had saved my money and just goe with the better brand at the start of things.

We bought our Platypus bladders at Dick's Sporting goods (2 liters, $14 each) and 2 bladder-compatible backpacks at Wallymart (only about $10 each) and have been having fun ever since. No problems, no funny taste, no $80 hit-to-the-wallet that a Camelback does ta' ya. We're out sometimes from sun-up till well after sunset and no leaks or any other problems.

I came across this.  The price definitely is attractive, it looks like it should do what I need it to do (mostly fairly simple day hiking for caching) and it has more room for extra layers than what I'm using now (a definite plus in New England).  I also wouldn't have to take off my pack and whip out a water bottle anymore.  I've never heard of the brand before.  Any thoughts from anyone with more experience buying this stuff?

Outdoor Products tends to be a lower end brand. They are not bad and sometimes good values, but they're the kind of brand you'll often find at a big chain like Target and Sports Authority and won't be near the quality level of a Gregory, Mountainsmith, Dana Design, etc...

Edited by briansnat
I came across this. The price definitely is attractive, it looks like it should do what I need it to do (mostly fairly simple day hiking for caching) and it has more room for extra layers than what I'm using now (a definite plus in New England). I also wouldn't have to take off my pack and whip out a water bottle anymore. I've never heard of the brand before. Any thoughts from anyone with more experience buying this stuff?

I've got to say that I own 2 Outdoor Products packs and we (wife and I) love them.

Yes, cheaper than Camelbaks, etc. but haven't had any problems in the year+ that we've had them. Very comfortable, lots of room/pockets......

I have a "hydropack" brand one, i think thats what it is at least. It works alright. The bite valve will leak if it is not being held straight up, but i usually just clip it onto the strap of the pack itself.

Also the water that I put in it always comes out tasting really bad. I've flushed it out with tons and tons of water, and even tried adding lemon juice one time (not sure how i got that idea) but it always tastes pretty bad. Does anybody know the trick to this?

The bladders are all replaceable anyway, so maybe if you were on a budget you could get a more inexpensive pack but find a really nice bladder that wouldn't leak or taste bad and save some dough.

Edited by Golden_Spike

As Brian says "What you need to think about are the features you want in a pack. Frame or not, how many cubic inches, number and layout of external pockets, panel load or top load, single main compartment or divided, padded hip belt or not, etc... "

So think of what you are going to use it for and where you plan on going. Since I sometimes spend a day to two in the hills before I return I need to use a large one with some extra compartments, plus strap on capability, and hydration pocket. I recently purchased a Kelty - Apache 3000 cu. in. (Big One) and despite its bulky size it balances the load and is fairly easy to carry on long hikes.

6071c929-e993-4d1a-8b35-206f44abe263.jpg

I've got a Camelbak HAWG, and I love it - It's designed as a mountain bike pack, which fits me well, as I do most of my caching with my mountain bike...

It's got room for a layer or two, depending on their size, lunch, tools, spare tube, cache swag, and a 100 oz.(~3 liter) bladder... I've also got the "Comm Pocket" that holds an eTrex very nicely (Oh yeah, it holds cell phones and two-way radios fairly well too, but I'd never imagine it was designed for that, it fits the eTrex so well B) ) The HAWG also comes with a shutoff valve in addition to the "bite valve"... good thing, because I've found that the bite valve slowly starts to leak as it gets older and more worn

I've also got an EMS 3000PL(nice pack, too!), it's a few years old, it came with a Platypus 2 liter bladder, I don't like it as much, its too "crinkly" - it's fairly stiff, so there's one spot on the bottom (top?) that flexes whenever you empty/fill the bladder, there's a small hole that is developing - the bladder is triple lamiate or something, the outside layer already has a hole worn through it, the middle layer is getting a hole worn into it, and, so far, the inner layer is still fine

I haven't noticed a plastic taste in the new Camelbak bladders - A few years ago, they did taste pretty bad, but they're much better now

For what it's worth: Performance has the HAWG on sale

The Camelbaks generally cost a bit more, but IMO, they're worth it, I've yet to have a problem with mine, and my sister's Girl Scout canoe team has been using Camelbaks for many years, they've also had no problems...

FYI - I'm not a sales rep for Camelbak, as much as it may sound it...

Happy Caching

Jeff

it came with a Platypus 2 liter bladder, I don't like it as much, its too "crinkly" - it's fairly stiff, so there's one spot on the bottom (top?) that flexes whenever you empty/fill the bladder, there's a small hole that is developing - the bladder is triple lamiate or something, the outside layer already has a hole worn through it, the middle layer is getting a hole worn into it, and, so far, the inner layer is still fine

Some of the older Platypus bladders developed this problem. They've improved them now. There is also a lifetime warranty so send it back and they'll send you a new one.

Edited by briansnat

I just picked up a cheap one at K-Mart ($20.00). My job has me crawling around trees and rocks all day, so I thought this might fare a little better than hauling several Nalgene bottles. I'll let you know how the discount one holds up to everyday abuse in the field...

BTW K-mart also sold a hydration bladder cleaning kit (I think it was around $8.00) - I've seen them elsewhere too. There is some kind of plastic rack that you squeeze inside to dry it out, and a few brushes to clean the interior and hoses. Campmor.com also sells tablets that you can toss inside that fizz like Alka-Seltzer to remove some of the deposits. I believe they also ran about $8 or $9 for an 8-pack. Has anyone used these? I'm just wondering how often I should try to clean this thing if I am using it every day...

I bought an Outdoor Ripcord about 2 weeks ago. So far I've been very happy with it. It's quite small but it holds everything I need just fine. Obviously I haven't had it long enough to see how it will hold up but it seems to be fairly well made. For the price I'm sure I'll get my money's worth.

The bladder did taste like plastic very strongly at first. I rinsed it thoroughly with hot water for several minutes and it's fine now.

Being in the Military I have more camelbaks than I know what to do with, from the 50 oz to 100 oz size, I a have never had a problem with a single one of them, in fact I ran one over with a HUMMVE (I read in backpacker magazine, camelbak had the strongest bladder) I wanted to test the theory for myself. The bladder held up just fine, in fact I parked it right on it and it still didnt burst. As for the taste I have never had a problem.

Most bladders have to be replaced periodically and so there is an advantage to sticking with a brand name where you can always get a replacement. Discounters and closeouts of the minor brands may not have replacement bladders in the future. But of course many bladders are interchangeable with the different manufacturers so check that out too.

I have a Camelback MULE and love it. It is very comfortable even when overstuffed and loaded to the max on a hot day.

BTW -- choose the largest bladder over a smaller one. You tend to drink more water with a hydration pack than you did with canteens/bottles. You do not have to completely fill the entire bladder for short hikes.

tablets that you can toss inside that fizz like Alka-Seltzer to remove some of the deposits.

Efferdent (denture cleaner). It works, it's cheap, and you're not suckered into buying the same thing for $8.

I am an outdoors nut and have used bladders by Camelbak, Nalgene, Platy, Ultimate Direction, and Gregory (the mylar-ish ones). The generic Target efferdent has been more than fine at cleaning them. Hang them on a bent wire hanger to dry them.

My feeling is invest the money for a quality product. Why buy something for $10 that you have to replace every 6 months (after a good day of bushwhacking geocaching) when you can spend $80 and have it for life.

I'm just wondering how often I should try to clean this thing if I am using it every day...

I use my Camelbak at least 5x a week, monthly cleanings do fine most of the time... I clean it more during the winter (because I blow air back into the tube to prevent freezing, so my slobber and accompanying bacteria gets blown back in too, and then starts growing in the tube... lovely thought B) ), but during the summer, I've gone for as much as 3 months without cleaning it (technically - I did mix in some lemon juice after the first month and a half or so... that was about as much time as I had to clean it)

I'll generally clean my bladder by mixing about a teaspoon of bleach in with about 1/2 bladder-full of water ad swizzle that around and drain it through the tube, and then rinse the whole shebang out about 4 times

I suggest most people clean their bladders more frequently than I...

Happy Caching

Jeff

I'm just wondering how often I should try to clean this thing if I am using it every day...

I usually clean my bite valve before every use. I just use dish soap and warm water. If the inside starts feeling slimy I'll clean it, or if I notice stuff growing in the tube.

To clean the bladder and tube, I use a solution of warm water and chlorine bleach. About 5 parts water to 1 part bleach. I'll let it soak for a few mins then rinse.

I've heard of some people who store their bladder, full, in the fridge to retard growth. If I had enough room in the fridge I'd give that a try, but I don't so I can't say for sure if it works.

Edited by briansnat

I use an Outdoors Products Hydropack. I've had it for a couple years, and have had no problems with either the pack or the bladder or the valve. It has seen some pretty rough use, and has held up extremely well.

Look around at your local sporting goods store for good deals on off-brand packs. There are many brands that are quite sufficient and of satisfactory quality, numerous designs as far as the number/size of pockets, and most (although not all) bladders are generally standard sizes, so they can easily be replaced with another brand if necessary. Even if they are not exactly the same size/shape, since they are flexible, they will usually fit anyway.

The Camelbbacks are nice, but way overpriced, IMO. My Outdoors Products pack is very compact, yet has numerous pockets of various sizes and will hold much more gear than the small and even medium Camelbacks, yet cost only $25, on sale. I can't find even a "bladder-only" Camelback for double that price! For my 11 year old son, I bought a very small and cheap ($15) hydropack (some other off-brand). I knew at the time that his bladder was not going to last (rather stiff, inflexible plastic), so when it sprung an expected leak, I replaced it with an Outdoor Products replacement bladder (for $10). Going strong ever since.

My point is that the bladder is probably the most important part as far as quality goes, since most packs themselves are of sufficient quality to handle most hikes. Any single brand is going to be limited as to styles/configurations. So check out all brands for a larger variety of styles and then replace the bladder if needed.

Edited by 4x4van

Last month I got a Camelback RimRunner. I've used it on a hike on Joshua Tree last month and I must say it worked like a champ. I didn't notice any bad taste while using it the first time. The pack is perfect for a day hike.

In the pack I had a box of granola, two additional pint sized sports water bottles (I was going to the hot desert), spare t-shirt, hooded sweater, a 2XAA flashlight (Maglite), standard Boy Scout first aid kit,& bag Trader Joe's peanut butter pretzels. The pack still had some room for additional items, but not much more without really stuffing the pack.

The hydration bladder holds 100 oz/3 liters of water. IMO you should get the largest bladder available to you. Remember if you feel like you don't need so much water you don't have to fill it up all the way.

Cleaning? I've been told to rince out the hydration system after each use. One other trick someone told me was to keep the hydration pack in the freezer after cleaning it. This way if there is any bacteria, freezing it will slow down bacteria growth. Sound like a good idea, especially if you don't use your hydration pack that often.

If you plan on using your pack during the winter (like for skiing), get/make one of those neopreme sleeves for the feed tube.

One last bit of advice: use only water in the hydration pack. It's not a good idea to fill it up with anything else like juice or Gatoraide - they tend to foul things up and require you to clean them more thoughly. Someone here mentioned using denture cleaner... I'll have to keep that in mind.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, if you are worried about a leaking bite valve, find one that has a close off valve (CamelBack comes with them).

And one more final note... remember what you are buying is a glorified plastic bag with a tube in it. They all work the same way (feed off from the bottom). What it's going to come down to is personal preferences. So go to a store and try the pack out. If they let you try putting stuff inside the pack and walk around the store with it.

See if the other replacement bladders are compatable with your one you are considering, just in case if down the road you don't like the hydration system.

Edited by adampierson
Any single brand is going to be limited as to styles/configurations. So check out all brands for a larger variety of styles and then replace the bladder if needed.

That's the key. It's why I don't use a Camelbak. Though they are very popular, I've yet to find one with the features that I want.

Edited by briansnat

At our CITO last weekend, GeoATV suggested keeping your beer packs separate from your water ones. But he got a lot of them in Iraq, he said.

I got a 1L High Sierra pack at Meier for $8 a few years ago and I'm still happy with it. I'm thinking about getting a full pack with an unbottle for long expeditions and loading it with senseless weight to get used to carrying a load. Maybe I'll just add some extra unbottles.