Woooooo! And request for tips for first cache placed -

Guest poppyseed

Guest poppyseed

There was nowhere else to post how incredibly much I'm digging this geocaching stuff. I've now logged three caches (two tonight) and am planning to lay my first with my teammate (team as yet unnamed) Tater on Wednesday evening. I adore this! It's wonderful! I know you guys know the feeling. I just wanted to articulate it.

Any tips for placing our first cache? I mean beyond the FAQ, which of course I have scoured minutely. Thanks!

Guest barefoot

d. Usually they are placed off-trail, so do your best to ensure that sensitive flora and fauna aren't damaged unduly. Look for places that cachers will zero in on (fallen logs, solo bushes, clearings off trail, etc.) because you DO ultimately want someone to find it, right? Also keep in mind the environmental conditions of the area -- does it drop below freezing? If so, you may want to include pencils instead of pens in your cache. Does it rain a lot? Then make sure the cache container is waterproof. You get the idea.

Have fun! Every cache you place adds to both YOUR fun and all those who search for it.

Guest k2dave

If you hide the cache in a popular area I try to use thhis rule of thumb. Try to hide it deeper then someone would go to take a leak if they are shy. By deeper it could mean further back or in heavy cover.

Guest Markwell

One of the things that helped me was to visit a few caches to really get the idea. I tried placing a cache after only visiting one. I got cocky and placed it in what I thought was an easy place for kids. Apparently it was too easy, as it got plundered within 10 days. I've since had to archive the cache.

I would also strongly suggest that you make a minimum distance between your cache and another cache. There's quite a few caches in your area and you don't want to pile them on top of each other unless they're meant to be a multi-cache.

The flip side is that you want to either place it in a place where you can get to in order to maintain the cache - or have someone else nearby that can maintain it should some ranger request that it be moved. I've got my third and fourth physical caches waiting to be placed 600 miles from home - but mother-in-law will keep an eye on it for me icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Markwell

One of the things that helped me was to visit a few caches to really get the idea. I tried placing a cache after only visiting one. I got cocky and placed it in what I thought was an easy place for kids. Apparently it was too easy, as it got plundered within 10 days. I've since had to archive the cache.

I would also strongly suggest that you make a minimum distance between your cache and another cache. There's quite a few caches in your area and you don't want to pile them on top of each other unless they're meant to be a multi-cache.

The flip side is that you want to either place it in a place where you can get to in order to maintain the cache - or have someone else nearby that can maintain it should some ranger request that it be moved. I've got my third and fourth physical caches waiting to be placed 600 miles from home - but mother-in-law will keep an eye on it for me icon_biggrin.gif

Guest BigFig

My suggestion for a first cache is: Place one hundred thousand dollars in small bills in a tupperware container and hide well. Email me the coordinates and I'll post them for you icon_smile.gif You can trust me icon_smile.gif

Guest BigFig

My suggestion for a first cache is: Place one hundred thousand dollars in small bills in a tupperware container and hide well. Email me the coordinates and I'll post them for you icon_smile.gif You can trust me icon_smile.gif

Guest Cape Cod Cache

Seems like a decent rule of, um, thumb...

Unforunately I had to abort a search in Newport RI because someone had 'soiled' a pair of shorts recently. Hot day as well, you get the picture... I like to use animal trails if in the woods. I was checking on a cache and a doe & fawn walked within a few feet of the placement.

Guest EraSeek

My #1 rule now is to avoid accidental finds at all costs! I now need to go back over some of mine and make them bullet proof in this regard as best I can. My #2 rule is some common sense in where I place them. Hopefully I'll continue to get better at both of these.

Guest BigFig

I found myself unexpectedly (but not unpreparedly) hung over a log this morning while in the woods. I thought it a good time to poke about with my hiking stick within my rather limited range while otherwise occupied to see if any carelessly hidden caches were nearby. Found nothing, left something, won't be back icon_smile.gif

Guest BigFig

I found myself unexpectedly (but not unpreparedly) hung over a log this morning while in the woods. I thought it a good time to poke about with my hiking stick within my rather limited range while otherwise occupied to see if any carelessly hidden caches were nearby. Found nothing, left something, won't be back icon_smile.gif

Guest McIrish

If the reasoning side of your brain says "Don't do it" listen to it. DO NOT listen to the geocaching side of your brain and "Try It". The reasoning side of your brain is ALWAYS right. I listened to my geocaching brain and found myself sliding down the side of a hill on slippery weeds. eek.gif

Guest jeremy

>I like the shy pe'er rule. I also have a good disguise for geocaching around busy areas. Walk around with a trash bag when searching for a cache, and bend over periodically to pick up a piece of trash (or imaginary trash if there isn't any). People ignore you.

Jeremy

Guest zoedog

I have a cache that is hide in a very open well populated area that has been hit almost twenty times since 4/22/01 (there have been several that have signed the log that have not signed online).

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=1915

As one cacher said in the log that to most folks seeing him walking around looking at a gps they would think he is looking for a gas leak or such. One thing that I do is put all my logs, booty, and the cache note saying what its all about in a seperate ziplock bag inside the cash. This really helps give a second layer of protection to the items in the cache. And I put my email address on the note so if it is found and they want it removed they can contact me. Also the not I try to keep on the top so its the first thing that is seen if it is found by somene that is not looking for it.

Zoedog