Rv Geo Trip

JMBella

OK, I've never done the RV thing before but I'm diving in with both feet next week.

We're leaving Monday morning and driving through DC then through Richmond and then stopping in Williamsburg, Newport News and Virginia Beach. On our way back we're stopping at Cape Henlopen State Park just to add MD to the list of states cached.

Questions:

Is there anyplace around DC to park a 26 foot RV?

How often do I need to dump? and Can I pull into any State or County Park to dump? and Is there a Fee?

Are Wal-Mart lots really OK to park in?

What else to I need to know?

Here is a link to Maryland Campsites. I think the Cherry Hill site is the closest to DC in Maryland. Not sure about the Virginia side. I'm not sure if they allow RV's at Cabin John Park, about 15 minutes from DC, but it may be worth a call - - especially since there are three caches in that park.

Now you may be tempted to just drive through Maryland - - but if you do you will miss the opportunity to visit an A.P.E cache about 20 to 30 minutes from Washington, DC.

Most of the caches in DC are virtual (the National Park Service owns just about every green space in town), but there are some interesting regular caches stashed in neighborhoods within DC and on the edges of the city.

We stayed at the Cherry Hill campground mentioned above several years ago (sadly, before we found geocaching). Was a nice place, as I remember, plus there's a bus stop right there; made it very easy to get around without having to drive in DC.

Sister and brother-in-law live in MD (a little further out in western MD) - the posts above are definitely correct - a cache-rich environment!

Have fun!

I think triple a might have a list of places to "dump"on your route.I know places like cabbellas have a dump station.RVs have a grey water tank and a black water tank the longest you want to go is three days for the black water.I would stay at a campsite that caters to rvs instead of wallmart!They have water electric cesspool and cable .If your travelling with a woman they use lots of water and the tanks get full real quick!So say you have a grey water tank with a thirty gallon capacity thats about three showers befor its full.

I think triple a might have a list of places to "dump"on your route.I know places like cabbellas have a dump station.RVs have a grey water tank and a black water tank the longest you want to go is three days for the black water.I would stay at a campsite that caters to rvs instead of wallmart!They have water electric cesspool and cable .If your travelling with a woman they use lots of water and the tanks get full real quick!So say you have a grey water tank with a thirty gallon capacity thats about three showers befor its full.

I made reservations so it looks like I'll be able to avoid Wal-Marts.

Here's the run down (in case anyone gives a rat's @&&)

Sunday night: **Lums Pond SP, Del.

Monday and Tue Night: Chippokes Plantation SP, VA

Wed. & Thur Night: Seashore SP, VA

Friday night: Cape Henlopen SP, Del.

**What's the deal with Lums Pond SP and caching? You can set up camp there but you can't hide a small box behind a tree???

**What's the deal with Lums Pond SP and caching? You can set up camp there but you can't hide a small box behind a tree???

Delaware State Parks had some caches there pulled while they designed a permit system. It should be OK for the locals to put some of those caches back. Sorry for not having the Markwell ready. I hope that some of the caches there are back in place, since I'm going through there in a couple of weeks too.

I guess I can't drive on Parkways either right?

Some parkways allow RVs. I regularly have towed my 30 foot 5th wheel RV trailer on the Garden State Parkway.

There are a few tricks that will allow you long periods between "dumping". The vehicle should have lights or gauges that will give you an appoximation of the levels, but they often read higher than they actually are...due to the sensors getting wet without the levels actually reaching that sensor.

Have fun!