Upgrade?

hueyflyer & copilot

I have a old Garmin GPS3+ unit and have been experiencing some very erratic readings lately. Have found 128 caches so far with it in the last 6 mo. but, lately it I seem to be going in circles . Sometimes it is right on and the next time I find it is off anywhere from 50' to 80". We are caching in the NE with many hills and heavy forrest. My wife is using an Etrex and it seem to be doing a better job. Any suggestions for a unit in the $200 range?

Thanks, just checked and I have the lastest software version.

Try a hard reset on the unit. That may solve your problem and save you some bucks.

If that doesn't work and you still want to upgrade, the new GPS 60 is pretty good. from what I hear. For slightly more than you want to pay, you can get an eTrex Legend C, which is an excellent unit with a color screen and it supports autorouting.

For slightly more than you want to pay, you can get an eTrex Legend C,  which is an excellent unit with a color screen and it supports autorouting.

I just got one of these from Buy.com - for less than $210, IIRC. Garmin is doing a $50 rebate plus first time buyers at buy.com get $15 off.

Not an employee of Buy, just relating what I fouind to be the best price going.

I had previously used a Garmin aviation gps, but it is old and pretty cumbersome. The Legend C is leaps and bounds beyond my old unit - very nice!

Now, if it would stop raining, I'd like to get out and look for some caches. B)

I have a old Garmin GPS3+ unit and have been experiencing some very erratic readings  lately.  Have found 128 caches so far with it in the last 6 mo.  but, lately it I seem to be going in circles .  Sometimes it is right on and the next time I find it is off anywhere from 50' to 80".  We are caching in the NE with many hills and heavy forrest.  My wife is using an Etrex and it seem to be doing a better job.  Any suggestions for a unit in the $200 range?

This one looks pretty sweet:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp...030660805102498

If you need/want mapping try the GPSMAP 60....it will cost more. eTrex Vista, whatever. There is no single solution.

Edited by Team cotati697

Hi again. Have been looking at the Garmin GPS V. Appears to be almost the same as my current GPS 3+ except for the extended road mapping and increased memory. Am I missing something? Is the V better for caching than the 3+ in terms of accuracy and speed of waypoint acquisition? I really have no need for the increased road mapping capabilities of the V.