Online Cipher Decoder

Puzzle cache fans might find this useful. I found this app online which does a variety of decryptions.

Enjoy!

I tried this on one cache that has been driving my nuts, It didn't work :rolleyes::unsure:B) waaaa :(:D waaaa waaaa

This page is mine - I didn't do it for geocaching, but I'm pleased it's of use!

Let me know if there's anything else that would be useful to add, and I'll see about doing it :D

Let me know if there's anything else that would be useful to add, and I'll see about doing it :rolleyes:

Thanks for reviving this thread so I can learn about this application. I don't have any requests yet, but I have a bug report : everytime I click on "decode" some extra spaces get inserted into the beginning of my text. Doesn't seem to do any harm but it can be annoying. I'm using Firefox on Windows XP. Thanks.

Thanks for reviving this thread so I can learn about this application. I don't have any requests yet, but I have a bug report : everytime I click on "decode" some extra spaces get inserted into the beginning of my text. Doesn't seem to do any harm but it can be annoying. I'm using Firefox on Windows XP. Thanks.

Fixed! :rolleyes:

Puzzle cache fans might find this useful. I found this app online which does a variety of decryptions.

Enjoy!

I tried this on one cache that has been driving my nuts, It didn't work ;):D:D waaaa :D:D waaaa waaaa

Let me know if there's anything else that would be useful to add, and I'll see about doing it :D

A suggested 'enhancement'.

If anyone enters 'GCXXXX', the actual co-ordinates appear.

No, I'm not kidding! :anibad:

Used your cipher decoder on a secret message for a Puzzle Cache GCZVKP but it does not give me a message that I can read!

The key to solving encryption is recognizing the encryption (or encryption type), and using tools available to analyze / crack it. There are many tools available if you google, the difficulty is identifying which one will solve this. If you need help, I would suggest asking the CO.

Every Friday on my blog I post a new puzzle solving/making tool ... there are some great things out there and I keep finding new ones. Puzzle on! If you'd like to check out the blog, it's Geocaching Puzzle of the Day.

It's a great blog. I highly recommend it. There's also a very good facebook group called Geocaching Puzzle Help with a document with many links to excellent cipher solving or analysis or constructing tools.

Every Friday on my blog I post a new puzzle solving/making tool ... there are some great things out there and I keep finding new ones. Puzzle on! If you'd like to check out the blog, it's Geocaching Puzzle of the Day.

It's a great blog. I highly recommend it. There's also a very good facebook group called Geocaching Puzzle Help with a document with many links to excellent cipher solving or analysis or constructing tools.

It's interesting to note that teamajk's post about her Geocaching Puzzle of the Day was in 2011 and now it's 2016 and she still continues to update it daily.

I'm also familiar with the Geocaching Puzzle Help group and it's also a good resource for pointer to tools and other information about solving puzzles. It also has a strict

"no spoilers policy" as well as a policy against providing help on a specific cache that has not yet been found.

From Wikipedia:

ROT47 is a derivative of ROT13 which, in addition to scrambling the basic letters, also treats numbers and common symbols. Instead of using the sequence A–Z as the alphabet, ROT47 uses a larger set of characters from the common character encoding known as ASCII. Specifically, the 7-bit printable characters, excluding space, from decimal 33 '!' through 126 '~', 94 in total, taken in the order of the numerical values of their ASCII codes, are rotated by 47 positions, without special consideration of case. For example, the character A is mapped to p, while a is mapped to 2. The use of a larger alphabet produces a more thorough obfuscation than that of ROT13; for example, a telephone number such as +1-415-839-6885 is not obvious at first sight from the scrambled result Z`\c`d\gbh\eggd. On the other hand, because ROT47 introduces numbers and symbols into the mix without discrimination, it is more immediately obvious that the text has been enciphered.

I used ROT26 in one of my puzzles, thanks for the toolset. B)

I had wondered about removing ROT26 from the list.....

Anyway, it's confirmation at least that there are indeed 26 letters in our alphabet for anyone who doubted it.

Correction. There are 26 letters in the English alphabet. Other language alphabets could be used for a puzzle.

I used ROT26 in one of my puzzles, thanks for the toolset. B)

I had wondered about removing ROT26 from the list.....

Anyway, it's confirmation at least that there are indeed 26 letters in our alphabet for anyone who doubted it.

Correction. There are 26 letters in the English alphabet. Other language alphabets could be used for a puzzle.

:rolleyes: only my comment was funny. B)

Edited by bflentje