Which Pda To Buy

Uncle T K

The cheapest one I can find. You don't need a lot. A basic one with about 8 megs should suffice. Something like a Zire 21 is fine, or better yet, look on e-Bay for a cheap M500 or M505.

Figure the Palm is going to be subject to some abuse, so you really don't want to walk around with a $400 unit and expose it to snow, cold temps, rain, mud and getting dropped and banged around.

Edited by briansnat

I agree. I have a Palm M500 -- with a hard case -- and it has about 1000 caches listed in it right now. ;)

You can get one of those on eBay for around $50.00, depending on the condition of the PDA, the accessories, and the time the auction ends.

I got my hard case, along with some other accessories, at BigLots! for only $15.00. :D

I use a Sony Clie that I already had before discovering Geocaching, so I use it for that too. But has has been said, a cheaper basic model is better for caching. I'm always worried about damaging the Sony even if a little rain water sprinkles on it.

Even though it's working fine now, I'm still considering buying a second CHEAP one for caching purposes.

Having owned a PDA from palm and the PPC operating system families, I have to suggest going for the PPC. They generally cost more, but the operating system is compatible with the better programs (or versions of programs) that you'll want to download and use.

I had a Zire something or other that I loved until it got stolen... ;)

Then I decided to try a PPC model and I like that even more! Fewer programs involved to do what you want to do and they are easier to use.

;) That is just your opinion.

I happen to love my Palm and the programs I have gotten for it. Cachemate is a great program for the cache info, and for logging info on your finds.

It works on the Palm OS.

And, why spend more for something to use for Geocaching when you don't have to?

Oh, and one more reason I like my Palm . . . it isn't Micro$oft. :D

I've used a Palm III, a Palm Vx, 2 different HP IPAQ's and now a Dell Axim X50v. All were expensive when new, and in their time equally as impressive. My dell NEVER goes outside the vehicle while caching. I was using the Palm Vx with cachemate to take with me caching until I discovered GPXSonar.

I can't say enough about how much I love that program. I now have it loaded on the Axim and an IPAQ 1945 and I carry the Ipaq in my pack (securely with fingers crossed) and use it every time out.

If cost is absolutely an issue, you will probably find yourself in the (used)Palm arena. If you have any other need for a handheld pc, you will be spending $$$ anyway, so take a look at the PPC's. I switched (kicking and screaming) several years ago due to a requirement at work and have NEVER regretted it. In fact I got a zire as a gift a while ago and played with it for a day and realized there was no going back ;)

I've been thinking about getting one myself, to help with the whole 'paperless caching' deal.  I've been looking around, but I'm curious what the minimum memory should be.  I'll probably be using it primarily for caching, so I won't have a ton of other stuff.

Most things I've been looking at are between 2-4 mb.  Is this enough?

I say go with 8 megs.

It's pretty standard. My Cachemate and about 1350 caches takes about 2.5-3 megs I think. I have a few games and stuff installed too, so I suggest not limiting yourself to the 2 meg range. From what i've seen 8 megs is pretty standard and shouldn't cost you much more.

Edited by Marcie/Eric

I would vote for the PPC. I really love the fact that I can store all of the cachepages in HTML format (tens of thousands if you want to - i am holding the nearest 5000 to me within about a 100 KM radius) and it doesnt take up that much space on my SD card. I have a 512 meg SD card, which are pretty cheap...I think the caches take up MAYBE 50 megs or so.

The best part about it is that all i need is an unregistered copy of GSAK, which takes all of my little GPX files, and crams them all together...then it exports into pure HTM format into a directory I call "cache". All i do is drag and drop that folder on to my storage card. No spinning, plucking, cachemate...etc...none of that...just plain SIMPLE

I also have a smaller gpx file with about 1000 nearby caches that I use with GPX view, which is pretty handy too. Mainly though, I just get the name of the cache from my garmin, and look it up by name on my brower in my PDA as we are driving around.

Sure is better than trying to maintain an updated paper binder / folder with cache pages!

One other thing I really like about my PPC: it has wireless 802.11g built in, and an infra-red transmitter / receiver. So while im on the couch, I can use it as a universal remote to do all my TIVO stuff, television, satellite, stereo etc...AND surf the web!!!!

Plus it can play media and MP3's on the go as well. I already have a bunch of SD cards because I have a digital camera, so I love the fact it takes them.

It is fantastic, and for around 200$ it is CHEAP. Id rather pay 2 hundred for something I can do alot with than pay 50$ or more and be limited. But thats just my opinion. You can even get one cheaper if you get one without the wireless connectivity (you will still have USB and SD cards and an option to upgrade to wireless). I think theyre like 120$ or so but i'm not too sure. (The units I am talking about are the Dell Axim X30 pocket pc....the upper end ones have built in wireless where as the lower end ones do not).

I love my Ipaq 5455.

Admittedly it can be a little buggy as its loaded with power,

64MB RAM

802.11b

bluetooth

fingerprint scanner

consumer IR with Nevo remote control software

- and I've added

CF plus expansion pack with extra battery for my cf gps

1gb sd card for gpstuner and destinator

For true geeks its a must, if your not supa-geeky then it can be challenging to get it all working right.

I do still miss my old palm III from a few years back , but thep ocket pc's the way fo the future.