Paper Free Caching

For those of you considering paperless caching with a smartphone - I was not able to find very much information about this on the interweb or GC.com, so thought I would summarise here for folks to refer to.

System:

Etrex Yellow with serial cable

Nokia 6670 (series 60 Symbian smartphone)

- using inbuilt web browser (offline)

GSAK

* Pocket Query downloaded into GSAK.

* Use the upload waypoints function to send 450 WP's to Etrex.

* Export data to HTML from 'file' menu.

* Send entire folder to my smartphone - this takes about 25 minutes!

* Create bookmark in smartphone's web browser, pointed at 'index.htm' on the phone's memory card.

* Bookmark opens completely offline, with full index and search capabilities.

Fantastic!!

Only downside is time taken to upload html. This might be better next time, as it will hopefully only upload the changes? If not, no big deal...

Very impressed - Should have done it sooner.

Edited by CuplaKiwis

ive just gone paperless,i use my trusty yellow etrex and a simple pda,i have to say i do feel rather 'naked' without the usual bits of printed paper but it works nicely.i still take a notepad n pen to scribble those all important little notes etc etc.

i hoping it will save me a fortune in printer cartridges.also its nice to have the option of finding more caches if youre still keen after finding all the ones on the printed list !..this is where the pda shines B)

Documents To Go, for copying all the info. Geocache log book for logging your finds. Hintdecoder, does exactly what it says on the box.

Or you could download and register a copy of Cachemate for the Palm which does all this (and more) in one application..

:D

I am trying to go paperless at the moment aswell as configure my etrex and Xda2i with TomTom 3. I have just (today) received the connecting cables. I have configured the pda to tell it that the gps is the garmin etrex and that it is to use the serial cable on com1. (my guess as there are no instructions). The pda tells me that there is no gps. So before I send the cable back as faulty I was wondering if someone out there may be able to advise on the configuration setting required for both the pda and the gps.

Thanks in advance

MobileMerlin.

Edited by MobileMerlin

I think our last 7 or so caches have been paperless. I've got the closest 50 unfound caches to work, home and my sisters on my yellow Etrex and if we want to go caching I've searched the geocaching.com WAP site using the waypoint name, it's not as high tech but it works as long as there is a phone signal!!. This was fine up until last weekend, we went off to the cache site (GCJEE0 - Parallel Lines) and searched the WAP site for further info and the clue and still couldn't find the cache so I presumed a DNF and went off to the next one. It wasn't until I got back and checked GC.com that I established that the DNF had actually been archived however after checking the WAP site again it doesn't declare that the Cache site has been archived. By the way does anyone know the format that Co-ordinate searches should be in on the GC WAP site?

:unsure:

I am trying to go paperless at the moment aswell as configure my etrex and Xda2i with TomTom 3. I have just (today) received the connecting cables. I have configured the pda to tell it that the gps is the garmin etrex and that it is to use the serial cable on com1. (my guess as there are no instructions). The pda tells me that there is no gps. So before I send the cable back as faulty I was wondering if someone out there may be able to advise on the configuration setting required for both the pda and the gps.

Thanks in advance

MobileMerlin.

The XDA is set to receive incoming infra-red beams by default. You can turn this off by going to Settings/Connections/Beam and unchecking the tickbox there.

The IR modem and the serial port interfere with each other if both are active at the same time.

I've been paperless for a couple of months now, using an eTrex Legend and an XDAIIs - can't fault the combination (particularly with memory-map, GSAK and GPX Sonar - my software of choice) but there are still occasions when pen and paper come in useful!

Edited by Hampk
I have said it before and I am sure I will say it again. There is nothing wrong with a sheet or two of A4.

:ph34r: That's a fine one coming from THE "king of the gadgets" :)

Dam and blast! I have been sused out. It's OK having all the gadgets it's knowing how to use them.. ;);)