Stranded In Oklahoma

wvcoalcat

Hello,

I’m posting this here instead of the TB section because I feel that my chances of this being read by someone that can help would be greater.

For starters I’m trying to help my brother get his stalled Travel Bug back in circulation. I know “It’s just a TB, let it go” but it seems that there’s a good chance that it can be retrieved and some geolitter can be removed too. Here’s what I know.

The TB was placed in a cache (Deep Blue) that never got approved. The hider apparently has quit the game and all e-mails sent were returned as undeliverable. I’m just assuming the cache is still in place. It was placed in Johnston County, Oklahoma approximately eight (crow-miles) NE of Tishomingo, east of I-377 on the west side of the Blue River. I’ve garnered that the co-ords are roughly N34° 19.xxx’ W096° 35.xxx’. The nearest caches are GCF35D and GCGDCQ

If anyone desires to help, please contact your local approver for more specific information.

Thanks.

Edited by wvcoalcat

I have been in contact with wvcoalcat and provided him with information about the unlisted cache. If anyone wants to rescue the bug, please contact him (or me) for information. The coords are slightly different and I told wvcoalcat that he could post them or provide them. I also did a quick check and from what I can tell, the cache is not listed on another site.

Welch, thank you for the suggestions. I didn't think of those approaches and I'll give it a shot in that direction.

Electric Mouse you've been most helpful and I appreciate the assistance.

I'll leave the co-ords alone because I think you'd need the entire description to try to find this cache. It's a rather long write-up, so I'd prefer not to post it.

Electric Mouse also had a very good suggestion, if a local cacher would be interested, this cache looks to be in a nice location and would be a good choice for adoption. If interested in adopting, please contact Electric Mouse or Reviewer Jones.

Thanks again.

Edited by wvcoalcat
Electric Mouse also had a very good suggestion, if a local cacher would be interested, this cache looks to be in a nice location and would be a good choice for adoption. If interested in adopting, please contact Electric Mouse or Reviewer Jones.

Just wondering... why wasn't the cache approved in the first place? I mean it seems odd it could be adopted but not approved (right now), was the person who placed it from far away or something??

Just wondering... why wasn't the cache approved in the first place? I mean it seems odd it could be adopted but not approved (right now), was the person who placed it from far away or something??

It was a semi-vacation cache and the cacher didn't respond to the reviewer's request for additional information.

He also hasn't logged on to the site since the cache's submittal.

The cache was out of the range for listing, although the owner said they would maintain it. They did not respond to a reviewer note about that (that I know of) and haven't signed onto the site since a few days after submitting it (late November/early December) and are now an unverified member with bouncing email. Since it was never listed, I guess it wouldn't really be an "adoption." I used that term loosely when writing to wvcoalcat. Instead it would be more along the lines of if someone local wanted to keep the container there and submit and list it under their name, it looks like that could be done unless the owner suddenly shows up and responds to the distance maintenance issue, which seems unlikely to happen.

Edited by Electric Mouse
Nope, not your bad! My bad! I used the term "adoption," when it would be more like a "half adoption." No listing to adopt since it was never put on the site, but it appears there is a container that could be submitted and listed by a local. :rolleyes:

I understood what was meant in any case :rolleyes:

thanks for the extra info

Mission complete!! The area it was in was a Public Fishing and Hunting Area of Oklahoma. You needed a $21.00 passport or a Okla. fishing License to get in. I had the fishing license so getting wasnt a problem. I talked to a Ranger and he said he didnt know anything about Geocaching, but he did get a quick lesson. I was asked to take the box with me when I left, so now its with me.

With the greatly appreciated actions of Team Turtles, the rescue mission was a smashing success.

Without trying to sound like an Oscar Award winner, I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions and Team Turtles for the actual retrieval.

Also a huge thank you to Electric Mouse for all of the fabulous help and information provided.

Thanks all.

Edited by wvcoalcat

Thank You TeamTurtles for getting the travel bug! Since the person who placed the cache seems to have been absent from the site for some time, I guess if you would like to reuse the container or items that you can. You might try emailing him first to be sure, but the last time I tried to email him it bounced. I figure if it bounces for you too, then you can feel free to do with it as you see fit.

Thanks again! I love a happy ending! :grin: