Local Org. Logo On Stats Banner

nfa

Hi,

I posted a similar topic yesterday, but it may have seemed too specialized to gather much attention. I closed that topic, and am trying again in a slightly different format rather than simply bumping the topic.

I read in a geocaching.com help page about local organizations sending tiny logo images to gc.com so that they could be utilized in the stats banners...I noticed that there are already a couple of local orgs that have done it.

stat.jpg

My question for TPTB is what size/format should the logo image be, and where/who should we send it to?

Thanks,

nfa-jamie

Edited by NFA

Hello...hello... ;)

If gc.com doesn't do this anymore, or only does it for certain groups, could TPTB say so?

It's not a big deal, I was just curious, but I would like to know the answer...one way or another.

There is a notable difference between this query and another I asked yesterday, which was flooded with answers and a solution within minutes.

Thanks,

nfa-jamie

Actually the only difference between you query yesterday in this one is that I read this one. Sorry I didn't see yours yesterday, and I am the one to answer your question. I appreciate the patience.

The stats banners will be updated when we have a list of recognized organizations. There is not a list yet, so until that time I have not submitted any organizations to have stats banners.

The recognized org project was placed on hold, but we are finally out of the holding pattern and we should have some information to be released hopefully soon.

There have been many groups that have been very patient through this process.

Thanks for your reply.

Hydee must be busy elsewhere.

If (as you said) progress and plans abound, then why keep them secret?

Of course, it's ok if you do, they're your toys, but then why talk about the local org banners in the Groundspeak knowledgebase.

I figured it might be of interest to other people besides myself, but since that doesn't appear to be the case, and nothing seems to be happening, I'll just close the thread, assuming that it'll happen when/if it happens...

nfa-jamie

Edited by NFA

I was informed via pm that my last post looked, walked, and quacked a lot like a "parting shot and lock"...that was not my intention, but I'm sorry anyway...I've been getting in the habit of closing threads after getting answers, even if they're not the answer I was looking for...but I certainly did not mean to faux pas all over the forum.

I was told in the pm that there were more answers coming, but that they couldn't be given since I had locked the thread, so I have happily re-opened the thread, and will just as happily let anyone who wants have the last word. I really appreciate this update on this issue, and of course continue to appreciate and admire the hard work and long hours the people at gc.com put in helping make this hobby as fun as it is.

nfa-jamie

Edited by NFA

Its of interest to me too. I wonder if we (Calgary Area Cachers) are a recognized group or not (or are in the list to become a recognized group).

If we could get some answers as far as size/format etc, we could get our locals designing the scaled down version of the logo for the stats banner.

I'm curious as well - thanks for opening the topic!

I had emailed gc.com about this several months ago and never received a response. (I figured gc.com felt our group was just too small or too unknown to warrant a reply so I didn't pursue it.)

I will be interested to learn what qualifications a group has to meet to be "recognized" and what benefits (if any, besides having a link placed on the State page) will go with it <- for example, will only recognized groups get donations of Groundspeak items for CITOs, events, etc.? Will groups have to pay some sort of listing fee/charter fee/dues to be officially recognized? Will recognition be based on # of members, # of events/CITO's? :lol:

There must be a lot of questions and a lot of bases to cover when creating this policy. I think it will be a tough job coming up with criteria. So, thanks, Hydee, for taking it on.

I was told in the pm that there were more answers coming, but that they couldn't be given since I had locked the thread, so I have happily re-opened the thread, and will just as happily let anyone who wants have the last word.

Was that a joke? :ph34r:

nope, just taking a pm at face-value

nfa-jamie

'Bet Hydee wishes she'd never answered this thread. She gave the answer and got 'bumps' and other concerns afterward. ... My thinking is everyone associated with GC has been sorta tied up on Waymarking and finalizing that first. My reading indicates GC is a small organization and resources have to be used accordingly. I'm sure as soon as they get some things off the board, they'll start addressing ways to improve and stay ahead of the 'game'.

:ph34r:

I don't know that the "Are we there yet?" from the back seat is going to make Hydee drive any faster. :D

AreWe.GIF

I'm as anxious as anybody to see what Hydee has planned but I'm just going to be patient and wait for it to be announced. At that point I'll submit the information that she needs.

Like someone else suggested, I'd be willing to bet there are a lot of things on her plate that may be taking precedent over this one. When the time is right, she'll let us know.

:D

This is a forum for questions about the gc.com website, I asked a question, and have gotten more attitude than answers over a 4.5 month period of patient waiting.

I always appreciate all of the hard work everyone at gc.com does, but have a hard time feeling bad about asking questions appropriate to the head of a local organization in an appropriate way in the appropriate forum.

I look forward to hearing more information about the local org banners whenever gc.com feels like talking about it...meantime, I'll plan on asking again in about 4 months.

Have a nice day everyone!

NFA-Jamie

Another reason I posted was simply to let NFA know that he wasn't alone in the interest in what was going on. I'm not really asking for anything to go any faster or anything, putting my hand up to say 'yep this is interesting' and I'm watching the topic. If anything I have said was interpreted as 'are we there yet' I appologize that was not the intent (although I really don't see that attitude anywhere in any of the posts)

{{{Bump}}}

Just checking 9 months later to see if this has moved up the ladder on the "to-do" list at all...

as a reminder to those who have started geocaching since the last time this topic was bumped (or acquired alzheimers in the intervening 250+ days), the OP referred to the geocaching.com help page's reference to local organzations sending tiny logo pictures for inclusion in the stat's banner...

a few local orgs are a part of this, but none others, is this policy, inertia, or just a back-burnered idea that nobody has had time to complete yet?

Thanks for your replies,

Jamie - NFA

{{{BUMP}}}

This is my annual bump on the local organization logos aon the GC stats banner...I am still interested in this, and would love to hear any information about the timeline for allowing local orgs to participate in this...

This thread was started in 2005, and the only substantial replies have been requests for patience (just sayin')... :blink:

Thanks,

Jamie - nfa

Edited by NFA

As someone helping with this I can say that it is Not back-burnered but it has been slow going and there are times it has been left to simmer because of other issues. It has not been forgotten.

(Don't ask me details, I can't say ) :blink:

the same is still true. only the name has changed. Sorry its not avalible at this time. I can not say when it will be.

Thanks for the reply Michael, see you next year... :blink:

Jamie - NFA

PS - I am a bit curious as to how this project can be said not to be on the back burner after more than 2 years with no change...the software must have been in place since long before my OP in 2005 to allow the other images to already be in the system, so it would seem to be a case of just not having added any new images to the collection...it's your sandbox, so whatever...

Edited by NFA

You might be interested in checking out Ranger Fox's Statbar modifier:

http://www.devfolio.com/geocaching/statbar/index.aspx

It lets you select images from a good variety of organizations (there are probably far too many organizations to actually show), lots of Signal logos, state flags, and a whole bunch of stuff to choose from.

That's about the gist of it. Until Groundspeak releases it as a new feature, I'll handle all statbar requests. If you want the NNYGeo logo on the Statbar Modifier, you'll have to tell me which you want: the one on your forum with the dark trees or the one on the NNYGeo homepage, linked from there. I can add both, too.

The Statbar Modifier fixes two other things: clipped user quotes and clipped user handles. While the former is automatic, the latter is on a per user basis because my application is simply editing the image.

My goal is to have every logo anyone could possibly want on the Statbar Modifier, so don't be afraid to request a logo. I'm keeping with Groundspeak's policy of review because I don't want indecent or corporate logos posted on the application. I also want to make sure the logos work before releasing them. If the number of logos gets to be too many to show, I'll simply break it down alphabetically (all I have to do is change the logo listing text file and that's that). The scripting on the site is done so that only the logos you see are requested by your browser at the time; the other logos are only requested when you click on that particular accordion pane. That helps with bandwidth.

As for the future, I met with Jeremy at GW5 and he sounded interested, asking if I could email a proposal to him. I'm asking for a few web services to get user handles, find and hide count, and the find and hide count by cache type. I'm shooting for a fully customizable statbar with optional find/hide breakdown sections. Something like the following logo (in fact, this one was one of the first successful tests I made of the new Statbar Modifier system):

20070517_custom_logo_full.png

Note the following will be optional in the above: background; logo; font color, size, and face; positioning (I'm trying to decide how I will limit it); and the user quote. Also note I have since added the GPS Adventures cache type to the new system.

Of course, comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks for the reply Michael, see you next year... :D

Jamie - NFA

PS - I am a bit curious as to how this project can be said not to be on the back burner after more than 2 years with no change...the software must have been in place since long before my OP in 2005 to allow the other images to already be in the system, so it would seem to be a case of just not having added any new images to the collection...it's your sandbox, so whatever...

Its on a burner with a very low heat setting? :D

(In keeping with my previous post I have to ask a question :D )

Its on a burner with a very low heat setting? :rolleyes:

(In keeping with my previous post I have to ask a question :blink: )

In my opinion, adding the statbar feature should be a low priority for Groundspeak. Compared to things they have come out with, such as the Google Map interface, server and DB reliability upgrades, and the friends feature (which I believe will/should be used on the PQ page so that you can plan a run with friends by excluding caches either you or your selected friends have found), simply adding logos to the statbar is a very narrow user benefit. One logo might be used by 10% (if at that) of an organization requesting the logo and does not really add much value to the site overall.

I could easily design something that takes an image from any URL, resizes it, and sticks it on the statbar. So could Groundspeak. That would solve much of the problem, right? Yes; however, only until the first person loads something inappropriate or corporate logos appear. In the end, Groundspeak could wind up having to review and post logos to the statbar--and that takes time. True, it only takes two minutes, max, per image, but it does take time away from whatever they are currently working on. And it's a never-ending process; there are so many organizations out there, let alone individuals. A veritable flood gate for a feature that doesn't add as much value as you think.

What does everyone think?

Its on a burner with a very low heat setting? :anitongue:

(In keeping with my previous post I have to ask a question :rolleyes: )

In my opinion, adding the statbar feature should be a low priority for Groundspeak. Compared to things they have come out with, such as the Google Map interface, server and DB reliability upgrades, and the friends feature (which I believe will/should be used on the PQ page so that you can plan a run with friends by excluding caches either you or your selected friends have found), simply adding logos to the statbar is a very narrow user benefit. One logo might be used by 10% (if at that) of an organization requesting the logo and does not really add much value to the site overall.

I could easily design something that takes an image from any URL, resizes it, and sticks it on the statbar. So could Groundspeak. That would solve much of the problem, right? Yes; however, only until the first person loads something inappropriate or corporate logos appear. In the end, Groundspeak could wind up having to review and post logos to the statbar--and that takes time. True, it only takes two minutes, max, per image, but it does take time away from whatever they are currently working on. And it's a never-ending process; there are so many organizations out there, let alone individuals. A veritable flood gate for a feature that doesn't add as much value as you think.

What does everyone think?

Oh I agree this should a LOW priority, but at some point its 'low' enough the answer (in my opinion) should be 'we have so many other things that would be more used we are not working on this at all, it may never actually happen'.

This thread was started two years ago to ask about something Groundspeak had put in a FAQ (in summer 2004) and then never (AFAIK) actually supported. Maybe I'm wrong but I think this group statbar thing is an offshoot of the 'afflilated groups' program, also of 2004 IIRC. In which a rep from Groundspeak contacted various geocaching orgs/groups for info etc about the group in preparation for the forthcoming offically recognized groups thing. What would be required of the groups, and what the benefits to the group would be were never explained. Aside from information collection I don't know that everything else ever happened. And please don't misunderstand, I don't think its of great importance nor should be a 'priority', however "working on it" starts loses meaning if repeated too many times without actual updates :anitongue: .