Question about archiving a cache.

jaxdman

If I archive a cache, will it still be counted as a Found for those that have logged it?

Also, when you go to archive a cache, it gives two options: List in Archive and Do Not List. Can only the person that archived the cache see the archive list or is there a link someplace to go view all archived caches?

Thanks in advance for any answers you can give.

1) Archived caches still show as finds. As I understand it, anyone who has already logged your cache will also still be able to read the cache details -- but they won't show up on lists of "nearest caches". As time goes by, you will see "no longer available" pop up on some caches you've logged. This means that the owner has archived them -- or pulled them temporarily.

2) You have two options: archive and temporarily disable. The first is permanent -- and the second -- obviously -- temporary. It's good if you've pulled a cache for maintenence -- but will be putting it back soon.

3) As for the list part of your question, I think the answer is that listed caches still show up on your cache page -- but you also still have access to the unlisted ones. Just takes another step to see them

If you know the ID number (the last portion of the website) of any cache - archived or not - as long as it was originally approved, anyone can see it.

Only non-approved caches are unavailable to the general public. But archived ones don't show up on the proximity or state searches.

If you search on caches found by a user, all of the caches, including the archived ones, show up on the list.

In other words, if you are trying to find an archived cache that you know someone else found, list the caches found by that user and it will show up.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by L8 Ed:

..can anyone else archive it?

Yes, Jeremy and his group of cache approvers can archive (and "unarchive") caches.

As I understand it, if/when you select the "this cache should be archived" option when logging on the cache page, it flags the admin group. They attempt to contact the cache owner in order to get additional info, have him/her verify cache status if it has been reported as plundered, confirm/dispute other reported reasons for archiving, etc.

If the cache owner concurs with the archive request or fails to answer the email, the cache will probably be archived. If the owner disputes the reported reasons for archiving, the admins weigh all the available information and make their decision on whether to archive or leave it alone.

If I'm completely off base or have missed something, I expect someone will correct me.

Worldtraveler