Dashboard Mounts For Gps

I am looking for a mount to hold my 60cs while in my car. I see some cheap ones on E-Bay which fit many (to most) models of GPS. The main two types I have seen are a suction cup type for the windshield and another tht clips to the dashboard vent.

Has anyone tried either of these two types and if so, how have they worked out? Do they break quickly (since they are cheap) or do they seem to work well? Any recommendations would be appreciated. :lol:

I personally don't use either one, but I can see problems with each.

I'm always reluctant to use any mount that connects to my vent. I sure don't want a broken vent and I prefer the air conditioning to cool me, not the back of my GPSr. Also, I'm not sure how good a constant blast of hot in the winter is good for the GPSr.

The suction cup windshield mounts just beg for a ticket for obstruction of vision if you get pulled over by an aggressive police officer. Smaller GPSrs affixed in this manner may also look like a radar detector to the same officer, begging his further attention.

One draw back I find with my suction cup mount is it is always falling off at the most unexpected times. I have tried cleaning the windshield and the suction cup with glass cleaner and it will still pop off at times. I finally had to make a leash to and attach it to the sun visor so when it does pop off it doesn't fall all the way to the floor. Just my 2 cents worth

Here's a picture of my RAM mount in my car with my Explorist:

269_6974.JPG

RAM mounts are virtually indestructable, but if you do, they'll replace it. They're not cheap--but you'll be able to use it for more than your GPS if you want. I'm on my second GPS with this RAM.

Jamie

I find that my RAM mount interferes with my view of the hood, but not much else. :lol:

Edit: I may as well add something a little more contructive, too. My RAM mount does have a tendency to fall off periodically (every half hour or 45 minutes) unless I clean the glass to get that built-up film off. Then I can hardly pull it off. It's a 4-inch suction cup. Like Jamie, I like the versatility. I have the suction cup for the car and a bike mount for, uh, the bike. I just switch the main components between the two.

Edited by embra
My RAM mount does have a tendency to fall off periodically (every half hour or 45 minutes) unless I clean the glass to get that built-up film off. Then I can hardly pull it off.

I've had this experience too. If I just jam the thing on the windshield, it'll probably come off on the way to work. On the other hand, the couple of times that I've cleaned the windshield and used a film of water before attaching the suction cup, the RAM stayed mounted for months until I pried it off.

As far as blocking my view... um.. I guess I hadn't noticed. I think like embra, the RAM only blocks the view of my hood. I have it mounted fairly low, although I could turn it "upside down" and it'd be even less of an obstruction.

Jamie

On the other hand, the couple of times that I've cleaned the windshield and used a film of water before attaching the suction cup, the RAM stayed mounted for months until I pried it off.

If no access to a water supply,,, It's been practiced around here to "lick" the suction cup before sticking it on the windshield. Yummmy! lol OK so it might sound kooky, but so long as the surfaces are also nice & clean, that suction cup will hold firmly to the windshield! :lol:

Sounds like the RAM may be the way to go. I don't think I would want to move it to another vehicle very often, so having it stay stuck for weeks or months is good.

Is it fairly universal (for gps types) and where is a good place to get it (I didn't notice one on e-bay)?

If no access to a water supply,,, It's been practiced around here to "lick" the suction cup before sticking it on the windshield. Yummmy! lol OK so it might sound kooky, but so long as the surfaces are also nice & clean, that suction cup will hold firmly to the windshield! :lol:

Beats the alternative! :lol:

It can be a little confusing ordering because of the setup. You need--and I'm not sure of the lingo--a mount like the suction cup or a u-bolt for a bike, a holder for the GPSr, and a connector to join the two.

I like gpscity.com because they make it a little easier to figure out what you want. They should sell a complete set of what you're after; you don't have to do it ala carte.

Thanks for the tips on the water on the suction cup and I will try it next time. It is a ram 4 inch suction cup and when first put on you can hardly pull it off but after awhile ( sometimes a couple of hours and sometimes less than that ) it will drop off. I don't know if when I put it on and the car is cold and then later when the heater is on or the sun warms the car/windshield up this causing it to fall off. I have suction cups on a gun rack on the back window and it never falls off and has been on for months at a time and I use the same procedure for putting it on.

You should find the RAM mounts the best...REMEMBER, always spread a drop of water onto the suction disk before applying...this one here will stick for months until I release it. This unit has the "lock" on it, IT WORKS! Now, too bad the MeriPlat does not work, but, that is another story covered in the other thread out here on the board...MeriPlat does not lock onto birds

Plat.jpg:lol:

Edited by Dirtnapper

Get a Gilsson remote antenna from Amazon.com $22 and you can mount the unit anywhere you want in the car. I use the automunt kit from Garmin and put the unit down on the console when driving with the bean-bag mount. Nothing obstructs my vision and the unit is not in direct sunlight. You get a 28db gain with the remote antenna. Mine has a magnetic back but I just sit it on the dash under the window. You can get it with a suction cup mount also.

;) ImpalaBob

Edited by ImpalaBob

If you are concerned about blocking your view through the windshield, RAM also makes many other types of adapters. I have my meriplat on a RAM mount C-clamp type thing that attaches to my gear selector lever on the floor between my front seats. Sorry, no picture, but basically it puts the GPS at the same level as my radio. Of course, this wouldn't work if I had a manual transmission, but with the C-Clamp, you could secure it to an ashtray, or edge of a cup holder, ect.

Here's a link to the suction cup mount I use. I used to drive a big rig and they do a lot of bouncing and shaking. It never fell off on me. I had it attatched to a mount for a etrex venture with a data/power cable hooked to it. It is so small it fit be hind the gps and did not obstruct my view anymore than the gps did. the model number is rapsb182. I highly recomend Ram products. Though expensive they are well worth the money. They Back thier lifetime warranty too. I had one crack on me and didn't have to pay to ship it back. I just emailed them a picture and they sent me another one free of charge. I highly recomend them.

http://www.rammount.com/ramwebcompthumb/Page0019.html

Hope this helps

Skillett ;)

Edited by skillett

I am using the non-damaging mounts from http://www.proclipusa.com in both of my cars for my 60CS - they are sturdy and work great (put them in about 1 year ago - no problems so far)... The have 1-2 for each car model (different positions) - In my Honda it hooks into the vent - in my Chrysler it hooks in between the Radio and the frame - quite some engeneering to find all those places (I guess they run from car dealership to car dealership)... So in short: For a permanent non destructive solution I can truly recommend them.

I use the Garmin window suction cup mount for my 60cs. It is mounted in the lower left corner of the windshield of my explorer. It does not obstruct my view at all and has never fallen off. It has been attached for over a month now and I live on some very rough dirt roads. As for a vent type mount, I'm concerned about the temperature variations causing condensation to draw into the unit.