Stepping Up

TeamK-9

Hi,

I currently own a recently broken Magellan Sportrak Map. It still works, and I plan on using it as a backup GPS.

But I figure this is my excuse to get a new GPS.

I really like my Magellan, and I'd love to have one of the new eXplorist's but I've heard so much bad stuff about them, specifically the lack of a quad-helix antenna, and the utilization of new map files (meaning I'd have to buy new software, which isn't an option) I currently have Garmin Mapsource (from my dad's gps) and whatever Magellan uses for their topographic maps, so I'd like to stick to a unit that has maps and uses one of those software programs.

Pretty much, I've narrowed my choice down to a Garmin GPSMap60 and a Magellan Meridian Gold. I've been thinking about both of them, and the crazy thing is that the pros and cons of eachother are pretty much the same, and there's like no way to decide one over the other.

So, I dunno, some advice would be helpful. Here's some of the pros and cons of each model that I can think of, feel free to add anymore, I'd also love feedback from owners of either device to help in my decision.

Magellan Meridian Gold Pros:

• Quad helix antenna
  • uses Magellan's topo maps that I already have
  • waterproof and it floats
  • slightly cheaper than the garmin
  • SD expansion

Magellan Meridian Gold Cons:

• Really big
  • slightly older

Garmin GPSMap60 Pros:

• relatively new device
  • can be used with my dad's map software
  • quad helix antenna
  • quad-helix antenna
  • i think it has some kind of special functionality for geocaching
  • works with Motionbased.com (a service I've been considering using but could never get to work with my Magellan)

Garmin GPSMap60 Cons:

• first of all, it's a garmin, and i'm sort of screwing up my "brand loyalty"
  • it too is kind of bulky
  • the maps i have for it are not topographic, only street

Right now, I'm slightly leaning towards the garmin, but only because I've done more research about it. I have about a month to decide though, because I still have to save the money.

Any help would be appreciated...

The 60C is a good performer and all around unit, and is pretty accurate with it's TRIP ODOMETER, and good tracklogging, but if you already got the accesories for SporTrack, get the MeriGold, because that is a good heavyduty GPS, more so than a 60C. The 60C is still the best GPS out of a dozen GPS units ive had(both Magellan and Garmin).

It sounds like you've been pondering this decision for quite a while. Good research!

One issue...It seems you place noticeable emphasis on quad helix antennas,, in my opinion that is a mis-directed favouratism. Quad antennas are fine, but so are patch. I personally believe the age of the unit/technology is a much bigger influential tiebreaker. I would almost hands-down always pick a newer unit with a patch than an older unit with a quad. In fact I'd choose a newer model with "any type of antenna" over an older model irregardless of it's antenna. From posts here it really has appeared the patch equipped "new" units" (ie the Explorists or Lowrances) have superior satellite aquisition performance.

In the case of Meridan vs Garmin 60, the 60 is newer and I would grab it for that reason. Also it's a good unit.

It sounds like you've been pondering this decision for quite a while. Good research!

One issue...It seems you place noticeable emphasis on quad helix antennas,, in my opinion that is a mis-directed favouratism. Quad antennas are fine, but so are patch. I personally believe the age of the unit/technology is a much bigger influential tiebreaker. I would almost hands-down always pick a newer unit with a patch than an older unit with a quad. In fact I'd choose a newer model with "any type of antenna" over an older model irregardless of it's antenna. From posts here it really has appeared the patch equipped "new" units" (ie the Explorists or Lowrances) have superior satellite aquisition performance.

In the case of Meridan vs Garmin 60, the 60 is newer and I would grab it for that reason. Also it's a good unit.

I really don't mean to be replying to my own topic so much, but I'm trying to find out the most I can.

Anyway, I've actually heard that argument about patch antennas. I understand that they're now better than they have been (probably better than my dad's old etrex) but am I correct in assuming that they still get better sat acquisition when held horizontally?

That's my argument against patch antennas. Generally, I like to slide my gps into my pocket or onto my belt or sometimes even the back of my backpack, all of which it has gotten perfect reception with my GPS, but I wonder if it would work that way with a patch?

Having both the 60C and SporTrack Color, I find that the 60C is easier to handle. You would hold the GPSmap60 almost verical and holding just the bottom, allowing the antenna a good view of the sky. I like the buttons being on the bottom. My body tends to block the signal with my other GPS units, but the Tracklogging on the 60C has been quite accurate for me.

So go to a boating store and try both the Map60 and a MeriGold. At least with a MeriGold you can use a large memory card like 256meg or 512meg.

When doing multicaches, and entering coords while on the run between stages of the cache, I prefer the small GPS units, that are easier for my hand.

Based on the units I own, I prefer the ones with a quad antenna. I have yet to try any of the newer patch units, but the one that I have gets very poor reception under cover. The quad antenna units I have get decent reception almost anywhere. I know it's a worn out cliche, but the following pictures really were taken in the basement of my house, right next to the computer.

805a69a3-bb2c-4f42-915d-1a6972cc1165.jpgdb8aaae9-3d99-4a1b-b351-310b122ff3a5.jpg

No, they don't have 'lock', but they are receiving signals in the basement. On occasion, I can get 'lock' upstairs, indoors. The 60 is an excellent unit, but I prefer the larger screen and SD expandability of the Meridian series. Since you already have the Topo software for the Meridian, it might be advantageous to stick with the Merigold.

As many times as the topic gets brought up, I think it really boils down to which one you like. Try them both out as suggested. Either unit will help you get to the cache. Finding it is still up to you, no matter how accurate the receiver. ;)

Based on the units I own, I prefer the ones with a quad antenna. I have yet to try any of the newer patch units, but the one that I have gets very poor reception under cover. The quad antenna units I have get decent reception almost anywhere. I know it's a worn out cliche, but the following pictures really were taken in the basement of my house, right next to the computer.

<<<< pohtos of GPS units deleted >>>>

That's deceptive and not a fair comparison. The eTrex's patch antenna is better at picking up sats directly overhead, while the quad helix is better at picking up sats at the horizon. This is why quad helix units will often get reception indoors (getting the signals through the windows, or thin walls), while the units with a patch antenna have their signals blocked by the roof and above stories. Since GPS devices generally aren't used indoors the comparison is useless.

I don't see the patch antenna as a deal breaker. There are many instances where they out perform quad helix antennas. I have a 60CS with a QH antenna and my wife has a Geko with a patch. There are many times that her Geko takes her directly to the cachedwhile I'm following signal bounces all around the area. This usually happens in ravines, canyons, near cliffs and around tall buildings.

The major thing I have against the MeriGold is size?

Is it really as bulky as it looks?

I think so. When they first came out I considered buying one - until I went to the store and checked them out. I was surprised at how big and bulky they are. That turned me off right away. I have an eTrex and it goes in my pocket. I take it nearly everywhere. If I had a Meridian it would only come out when I needed it.

Edited by briansnat

;) A while back Magellan dropped all its support for its aviation units .... They will not get my business. We have a Garmin 60C with autokit, MapSource City Select and a Gilsson remote antenna. This combo does it all. It gets me to the cache location and then to the cache. I really like provantage.com for Mapsource products. I bought the Gilsson thru Amazon.com (28db gain).

:D ImpalaBob

Just to clarify, it looks like TeamK-9 is looking at the Map60, and not the 60C or 60CS. Like its color cousins, the 60 accepts an external antenna, and a $19.95 investment in a Gilsson antenna could solve any concern of patch vs. quad. I use a Gilsson with my 60C when hiking in the woods to improve reception in heavy trees. Otherwise, it mostly sits in my backpack. The quad helix is a good performer.

I looked at the Merigold, and it seemed clunky to me, but then, the 60C seems a little clunky compared to the Etrex.

Just my $.02

I get confused by all the "mis"understandings about quad/patch capabilities and limitations ;)

I have a Lowance iFinder Pro that is equipped with a patch antenna. One of my frequent uses of it is to chart my travels while motorcycling, snowmobiling, atv'ing, etc. In those cases I always place the unit "upright" into an inside coat pocket and at the end of every ride have always acheived rock-steady plot trails. It's a perk on an iFinder that it records up to 10,000 plot points per trail, I can drive around ALL day and get the entire track plotted. Anyway, patch antennas aren't supposed to work well "upright", but mine does just fine.

Also if I turn on the GPSr at my livingroom desk (about 12 feet away from the nearest window), in less than a minute it will announce a "position aquired" message meaning it's found sufficient satellites to acheive a position fix, in the MIDDLE of my living room! Again, patch antennas aren't supposed to do that (well)...

I'm not an expert in the technology advances in GPSr design, but it really seems to me there have been major strides in reception capability in just the past few years, and it seems some of the "poorer reputations" of earlier models have created generic steriotypes that exist today. This is unfortunate if it mis-guides people to make wrong purchasing decisions.

Personally I like Lowrance products, but I also know Garmin & Magellan are good as well. It makes me cringe when seeing some peoples responses when they discover the new Explorist series has patch antennas., as an example. Most users will tell you the reception is excellent on those models.

There are other issues that I have no personal knowledge of, like certain antennae styles work better/worse in canyons and around tall buildings etc,, but I would wonder if even there it might be old steriotypes still tainting the waters.

I use a Gilsson [ external antenna ] with my 60C when hiking in the woods to improve reception in heavy trees. [ ... ]

I looked at the Merigold, and it seemed clunky to me

Clunkier than having an external antenna, another cable running to your hat which means you can never set the thing down, and a wire hanging out the back which is an invitation for a stress fracture on the connector or circuit board?

I'm with several of the posters on this. Antenna type is but one component of the system. A bike can have a great ride whether it has presta or schraeder valve stems. A GPS can have crappy reception with either antenna type.

I really like my Magellan, and I'd love to have one of the new eXplorist's but I've heard so much bad stuff about them, specifically the lack of a quad-helix antenna, and the utilization of new map files (meaning I'd have to buy new software, which isn't an option) I

As far as the antenna, I have not seen anyone the has used and explorist post anything about the patch antenna in the explorist not work as well as a quad.

I have used my Explorist 500 along side my Meridian gold and they have performed same under tree cover which is were you would notice a problem.

As far as the software issue, it is true that only Direct route and topo 3D will work in the exolorist, I own both of these and the older topo and Streets and destinations, the newer software is a vast improvment over the older product.

If you really like your old magellan you could also look at the sport track pro which cells for about 230.00 or the Meridian gole for 200.00. while the gold is larger it is a much better GPS. And it is not all the big and I can be carried in a pocket.

Dont just limit your choices to the "Big Two" (Garmin and Magellan).

Check out Lowrance too... I was a one-track Garmin user awhile back, but bought an iFinder and seriously cant believe the difference... Amazing units. Superior interface, best satellite acquisition speed and lock around, and all of their GPSs are relatively cheap.

Check out the iFinder H20, Hunt, or the Phd.

http://www.lowrance.com/outdoor/default.asp

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000

<<<< pohtos of GPS units deleted >>>>

That's deceptive and not a fair comparison.

Like I said, I know it's a worn out cliche. :o

Still, though, most of the caching that I've done in parks or forests has involved trees being overhead. My Meris do tend to get better reception in those situations than do some other receivers.

Like I finished the post earlier:

As many times as the topic gets brought up, I think it really boils down to which one you like. Try them both out as suggested. Either unit will help you get to the cache. Finding it is still up to you, no matter how accurate the receiver.
Still, though, most of the caching that I've done in parks or forests has involved trees being overhead. My Meris do tend to get better reception in those situations than do some other receivers.

That's a fine observation. And best of all it was performed with actual hands-on experience and not heresay.

You've basically determined that a Magellan Meridan often gets better signal lock than a Garmin eTrex under certain tree cover. Ok, I can live with that.

But don't escalate your observation to then assume that ALL quad helix antennas work better than ALL patch antennas under tree cover. That would be wrong.

But don't escalate your observation to then assume that ALL quad helix antennas work better than ALL patch antennas under tree cover. That would be wrong.

Exactly. B) I do have some experience with other units (SporTrak, Legend, 60CS), but it has been limited. Because of this, I generally try not to make broad statements. Per my first post:

Based on the units I own, I prefer the ones with a quad antenna.

And of course, your mileage may vary... :wub:

As many times as the topic gets brought up, I think it really boils down to which one you like. Try them both out as suggested. Either unit will help you get to the cache. Finding it is still up to you, no matter how accurate the receiver.

Of the units I've cached with, I still prefer my MeriPlat. I'm hoping to lay my hands on an eXplorist 500 or 600 soon to compare with the 60C(CS). Who knows, I may be switching... :(

I have been finding my eXplorist 500 is performing just as well Meridian Gold under tree cover, as a matter of fact this last weeking I only used my explorist 500 and the accuracy I was seeing was better than I had ever seen with my Sport track map or sport track color both of which have quad antennas or Meridian gold.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Okay, after taking a look at it, and getting some information from people who have the eXplorists, they're definately back in the running.

So, now its the Magellan eXplorist 400 or the Garmin Map 60

Still looking for any info...

Specifically pros and cons about the eXplorist...

You'd have to name your favorite DR annoyance to see if it's been corrected or not...and the answer in general is probably not in that it's still DR 1.0/2.0f.

Backlight still comes on, but setting the timer to 30 seconds turns it back off in that time.

One annoyance remedied is that while DR will hijack your settings for the autoroute, it will put things back the way it found them after the routing is discontinued...even if you turn the unit off while the route is still active.

Time/distance to next turn *and* time/distance to final destination are now available.

I think it's about the same on other points. We'll have to wait for DR 3.0 for any other changes, I expect. Basically, they've just ironed out a bug or two on the Meridian/SporTrak implimentations.

I've seen DR on a sportrak pro and was completely underwhelmed as a Garmin 60CS owner, but am pretty impressed with the features of the eXplorist 500, especially the SD slot.

If it did autorouting as well and as easy as the 60CS, I think Magellan would have a contender here.

I know I'd love to have a 1 gig SD card popped in there with most or all of the US loaded on it.

Having used both DR/Plat and CitySelect/60C for about a thousand caches each, I'd have to agree with Trippy's observation that a comparison of the routing facilities on the two is pretty much a smackdown. That was forgivable in a first generation of handheld autorouting and actually impressive when you remember it was on hardware that wasn't even originally marketed as being capable of routing.

However, the news that the explorists behave in much the same way saddens me. I'm hopeful that firmware updates will bring a closer feature parity.

You mentioned having Mapsource street software. The version of street software you own will determine whether you can auto-route or not. The Map60 series will autoroute with City Select, and to a limited extent with Metroguide 4, but not with metroguide 5.

Now that I have autorouting (60CS) I am a believer - it is an essential upgrade component. Once you've found most of the caches in a 30 mile radius from your house you will be driving on unfamiliar back roads in pursuit of new finds - autorouting really cuts down on the wrong turns and backtracking.