Store Merchandise Ideas

LXA_KA_1287

Hey, I was just thinking of some things that you guys could prolly sell a lot of.

One item could be those silicon wrist bands with sayings on it. Like a green one that says Geocaching, or a Blue one that says CITO, or something like that. They cost anywhere from $2.50 to $1 or less to produce. One place (just using it as an example) that makes them is www.reminderband.com.

Another thing could be Geocaching Buffs. Buffs are those things you see people wearing on Survivor. The have also been used by pro bike teams and other traveling events. The work with competitions, companies, and more to make custom Buffs to be sold. Buffs can be worn 12 different ways, and could have a lot of potential. A link to their site is http://www.buff.es/default.cfm?idioma=3.

Sorry if this isn't considered a good topic for this area...

That's interesting. We were looking into the silicone bracelets now. Our plan is to create one that either has the tech + nature logo (not likely) or have it say TECH + NATURE on the band.

I've never heard of Buff before. It looks interesting but I'm not sure how popular they would be in the geocaching community. Not to say we won't look into it further.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Oh, I hate to be the pessimist. I know it probably won't hurt anything, but I don't like the idea of having geocaching bracelets.

When the original Lance bracelets came out, I thought it was pretty cool. Right up until every get-rich schemer realized there was free money to be had. Now the market is saturated with knock-offs.

Sure, there are other legitimate causes supported by the sale of the bracelets, but I suspect it's the minority. The local convenience store has a display of several color bracelets with ambiguous saying such as "Go For It," and "Never Quit." Sure, the box says a portion of the profits will go to charity. Uh huh.

I'm not saying Groundspeak would do this, but the bracelets--except for a few--are now just a marketing fad, and I think they now have a negative connotation. Let's find something new and different instead.

Jamie

Oh, I hate to be the pessimist. I know it probably won't hurt anything, but I don't like the idea of having geocaching bracelets.

When the original Lance bracelets came out, I thought it was pretty cool. Right up until every get-rich schemer realized there was free money to be had. Now the market is saturated with knock-offs.

Sure, there are other legitimate causes supported by the sale of the bracelets, but I suspect it's the minority. The local convenience store has a display of several color bracelets with ambiguous saying such as "Go For It," and "Never Quit." Sure, the box says a portion of the profits will go to charity. Uh huh.

I'm not saying Groundspeak would do this, but the bracelets--except for a few--are now just a marketing fad, and I think they now have a negative connotation. Let's find something new and different instead.

Jamie

I disagree.

What do people think about giving a % of sales to the American Heart Association? The bracelet would double for a pledge to go outdoors more often.

I don't know how much you sell outside USA, but I'd say some international organization would be a better idea, if you want to sell worldwide.

A group of people where I work do the "Walk for Life" that benefits the American Cancer Society. They sell the Livestrong bracelets to family, friends and co-workers. I buy them by the bag and we put them in caches one or two at a time. My wife who goes back to cache logs where we've left the bracelets says that they are the most popular items of ours that people take. Those and Saddam's most wanted cards. I'm not sure why exactly why they are still so popular.

Perhaps Geocaching.com Most Wanted Cards??

Oh never mind.

I’d buy bracelets from Geocaching.com.

Roy

Jamie

I agree.

sd

I suspect that those who will buy them because of the charity thing will out number those that will pass them by because they believe the fad is over. Of course, that will not always be so. The more the fad goes on, the more people will be sick of them.

I say jump on the band wagon while the jumpins good.

Edited by sbell111
Yea, that sounds like a great idea!

Also, with the buffs, maybe you could have a poll to see what people think about 'em.

I think buffs would do well for the "skinny, beautiful, model-type female cachers" crowd but not for most of us.

Buffs are a great accessory, and I never go outdoors without one. When it's cold they help keeping warm: neck, ears, head. When it's hot they help keeping sweat from running in my eyes... The point is: if the print is cool, the buff is even a cooler thing to wear. Please go for a Geocaching buff! :lol:

Jamie

I agree with you, but they will sell a ton of them.

My stepson has CF and there are CF braclets that my wife sells to support the charity. I refuse to even wear those. I don't like the fact that people are ripping off Lance's idea.

I'm still waiting on the license tags for cars that don't require two state plates.

There was some talk a year ago about it HERE

That would be cool.. (And I'd buy one)... As a driver of a one plate car, I still have the crappy dealer advertising tag on the front since I have a plate bracket.

Jeremy, I'd like to see something that we can buy cheaply from the store and be able to use as trade swag. I don't like the idea of those dumb bracelets... When they first came out they had meaning. Unfortunately now they're just something that's trendy to junior high school kids. (You can buy them out of a vending machine at the store down the street for fifty cents)

I would think that donating to a cause more closely associated with Geocaching/nature would make more sense.

A local hider puts livestrong bracelets (or the coordinates for a one-time cache containing the bracelet) in caches as FTF prizes - they are popular.

I think knock-offs would not be as popular, but GC-related would definitely be cool.

I thought it might be a nice signature item, also, before you could buy three packs with random sayings at the local service station.

But yes, I also think the whole thing has gone way too far, and there's probably a new bandwagon just around the corner.

I would think that donating to a cause more closely associated with Geocaching/nature would make more sense.

A local hider puts livestrong bracelets (or the coordinates for a one-time cache containing the bracelet) in caches as FTF prizes - they are popular.

I think knock-offs would not be as popular, but GC-related would definitely be cool.

I thought it might be a nice signature item, also, before you could buy three packs with random sayings at the local service station.

But yes, I also think the whole thing has gone way too far, and there's probably a new bandwagon just around the corner.

This was my thought also. Not that there is anything wrong with the proceeds going to the AHA. IMHO I think the proceeds should go more to a non-profit organization that has to do with taking care of the outdoors that geocachers use. You would probably get more people willing to buy them that way since everyone that goes geocaching would be more likely to support a cause that affects them directly.

I also do agree with the others now that unfortunately the meaning behind the bracelets is becoming lost. I won't go into details but I know someone that is selling some and you think the money is going to fight Lou Gehrig's disease but the money is just going into their pockets. :o

I think that you should clearly state what percentage would be going to what organization/s to CYA.

Edited by Eric K

We have all the nice things in the store.

But No place to put the swag,patch,GPS,pen,trde items, ect.

I have been looking for a real good shoulder pack for all my goodies for a while.

I have wore out quite a few too.

But they never really were the right stuff.

I just seen these two type packs.

mx7250sq.th.jpg

thermite3es.th.jpg

From here:

DELTLA FORCE MAXPEDITION

I thought it might be a good addition a good shoulder or hip pack/w/patch.

Yea, that sounds like a great idea!

Also, with the buffs, maybe you could have a poll to see what people think about 'em.

I see the buffs being very popular in middle eastern countries.

5af9774b-bdb7-4a04-a559-0d888a3b8690.jpg

I agree. Unless its the Sierra Club, Greenpeace or similar political orgainzations.

Is there a 501 c 3 associated with the National Park Service?

Edited by briansnat

Personally, I would love Travel Bugs made out of steel. I understand the disadvantage of rusting - but genuine military dog tags are made from stainless steel and are able to avoid that problem. I figure that if they can survive what might happen to a soldier's body, you should be able to make a steel Travel Bug that can survive the oxidation process.

I wouldn't mind a TB that has a little more... heft, with a smoother finish (the current ones are a bit rough on the edges).

I'm not saying that the aluminum TBs should be replaced, because I'm sure that there are those who prefer aluminum. But if they were offered in a nicely finished steel as well, I would certainly pick them up in a heartbeat. :lol:

What do people think about giving a % of sales to the American Heart Association? The bracelet would double for a pledge to go outdoors more often.

How about a % going to Forestry/Parks/Natural Resources -- maybe if there was $$$ coming in, they would be more embracing of the sport.

How about a % going to Forestry/Parks/Natural Resources -- maybe if there was $$$ coming in, they would be more embracing of the sport.

that is the best idea in this thread yet :ph34r::D:lol:

My stepson has CF and there are CF braclets that my wife sells to support the charity. I refuse to even wear those. I don't like the fact that people are ripping off Lance's idea.

No one is "ripping off" the Lance Armstrong foundation, except maybe for companies like this one. Adopting a successful idea for your own cause seems, well, common sense. I just don't get this kind of mentality. If you raise money for a charity, non-profit, etc., what's the harm? Geez, man, it's just a bracelet.

Groundspeak has contributed to the Washingtion National Park Foundation in the past, but it is just to help pay down the $10 million deficit the parks here have each year. If anyone has a more national-based org I'd be interested in seeing it.

How about the Nature Conservancy?

They are a worldwide organization that works to preserve the plants, animals and natural communities that represent the diversity of life on Earth by protecting the lands and waters they need to survive.

• * The Nature Conservancy works in all 50 United States and 27 countries.
  • * The Nature Conservancy has protected more than 117 million acres of land and 5,000 miles of river around the world.
  • * The Nature Conservancy meets all of the Better Business Bureau (BBB) Wise Giving Alliance Standards for Charity Accountability.
  • * The American Institute of Philanthropy has awarded The Nature Conservancy an "A" rating.
  • * Charity Navigator recently awarded The Nature Conservancy four out of four stars, its highest possible rating, for the fourth year in a row.

nfa-jamie

How about the Nature Conservancy?

Nice one. So can anyone dig up some dirt on them so we're ready for that negative topic once we support their organization? It seems like someone has a beef about any org.

I don't have any dirt and don't know much about them. However, I do like the fact that their financials are right on their web page and available for anyone to see.

Sounds like geocaching and the Nature Conservancy could go hand in hand with each other. They seem like the type of organiztion that would embrace CITO day.

Plus since it would be an option to purchase the bracelet if anyone has something against them they simply wouldn't have to purchase a bracelet.

Therefore they wouldn't be supporting a cause they are against.

Edited by Eric K

I'd buy a buff ...maybe 2or 3 ;)

love the shirts too

IMHO ...forget the braclets...it's the Lance ones that are popular trade items

..the knock-offs (legitimate or not) aren't ...I've seen every color of the rainbow (except yellow) sitting in caches (and on every convience store counter) my own kids bypass them for other trade items.

Groundspeak has contributed to the Washingtion National Park Foundation in the past, but it is just to help pay down the $10 million deficit the parks here have each year. If anyone has a more national-based org I'd be interested in seeing it.

Audubon around here has been very nice about allowing a cache on land that they own and can always use money. I believe I have read of caches with permission on Audubon land in other states as well. Nature Conservancy is also similar I think (no good knowledge there though). Both tend to own properties that they make open to the public that also tend to be great areas for caches. I have had very nice experiences with my cache on Audubon property in Nebraska and they were very helpful about letting me place it on their property. With Audubon, most areas are owned by local societies, but they all are tied to the National organization and at times receive monetary assistance from them.

My stepson has CF and there are CF braclets that my wife sells to support the charity.  I refuse to even wear those.  I don't like the fact that people are ripping off Lance's idea.

No one is "ripping off" the Lance Armstrong foundation, except maybe for companies like this one. Adopting a successful idea for your own cause seems, well, common sense. I just don't get this kind of mentality. If you raise money for a charity, non-profit, etc., what's the harm? Geez, man, it's just a bracelet.

Yup, all the copycats have turned it into just a bracelet.