Wtb Pocket Pc Map Software

I'd recommend Mapopolis - it has better updated maps and it allows the addition of waypoints.

goto to http://www.mapopolis.com

They allow demoing of the software and you can download demo maps.

I use it with the Palm version. I use mapopolis to get me to the general location, then I use cachemate and cachenav to zero in on the cache.

Hope this adds value to your post.

scarng

:lol:

Scarng,

As you suggested, I looked into Mapopolis for maps for my Pocket PC. Below is my email to Mapopolis and their reply:

>Jamesbe2759 to Mapopolis:

Your web site states: "Platinum maps do not support GPS devices.

> Door-to-door driving directions are generated but no automatic visual or

> spoken prompts are generated."

>

> I am interested in buying a single map (GPS Supported) of the Salt Lake City,

> Utah area for my Pocket PC. There are two maps available, the platinum map

> (not GPS supported) and the demo map (GPS supported). Is there a Navigator

> Map available for Pocket PC that is GPS supported?

>

> Thanks,

>

> James

> jamesbe2759

Mapopolis Reply:

Hi, James,

Sorry, but the Navigator maps are our only GPS-enabled maps,

and these are only available in our $99.95 Navigator MapPack.

Be careful - the Platinum maps do not support GPS.

Thanks,

Lamar @ Mapopolis Support

My problem is that their map packages are much more expensive than MS Streets & Trip or Delorme's Street Atlas. I agree that Mapopolis maps are more up to date. At any rate, Mapopolis don't offer single maps that are GPS supported.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Jim

I have tried most of the major PocketPC GPS map products out there and I have to say that Mapopolis is the best I have seen. The main deficiency I see in Mapopolis is a lack of tunability in the route calcuation algorithm. I can tweak it to where it gets close to generating what I know is the optimal solution for my test source/destination, but I can't tweak it enough to make it generate the complete optimal route.

MS Streets and Trips (Desktop PC-based) and Destinator (PocketPC based), on the other hand, immediately deliver the optimal route for my test.

Specifically the two products you mentioned have (at least) these issues:

MS Pocket Streets:

Will not do route calculation on the PocketPC

Delorme Street Atlas handheld:

1. You can't create a waypoint at the current location when actively tracking with GPS (or at least I couldn't figure out a way to do it)

2. Route calculation (at least it does it, as opposed to Pocket Streets) is exceedingly slooooow.

3. When actively tracking with GPS it is very difficult to find a point of interest and say "Create a route to that place from where I am and take me there"

TM

I have DeLorme Street Atlas USA Handheld 2004 I would part with if your'e still looking. Original CDs and case, like new condition. My old low end Sony PDA doesn't have the horsepower to run it. I'd like to get $30 for it. Let me know if you're interested.

Frank

penbroke@yahoo.com