Event Caches You Ran: Do You Log Finds?

I've run (i.e., been the cache owner) five event caches (four regular, one CITO). I've never posted "finds" for them. Recently, I was told "why not? You were there, same as anyone else who attended."

I've never really worried about raw count (I avoid most virtuals except for those in my immediate neck of the woods, and I don't much go for locationless caches) but I'm curious about general practice.

Would you, if you organized an event cache at, say, a local park, post an "attended" find log for it when it was over?

-- Lemur

I never really thought about it. I always just log them as attended, no matter who is hosting. It's not like finding your own cache where you already know the location. At the event you participated just like everyone else, so I would count it as attended. Getting credit for the hide just gets you credit for organizing the event, even if you don't go to the event. Attending the event gets you credit for attending the event.

It's an attended, you attended.

On the other hand, at the one event cache that I put on I asked my brother-in-law to hide a cache just for me to find so that I could make it "official."

It took me 45 minutes to find that lousy cache!

Jerk.

Bret

Would you, if you organized an event cache at, say, a local park, post an "attended" find log for it when it was over?

No I wouldn't. I figure my 'credit' was the hide. Sure I was there, but it would be an odd event if the person planning it out (and hopefully knowing whats going on) wasn't. I also don't bother claiming finds (or hides if I were to hide some) for any tempory caches done up for the event.

I suppose you could log it if you wanted. It won't bother me in the least :rolleyes:

But from looking at the logs for events that I've been to, I might wonder "why bother?" Usually the people posting logs on event caches are doing so for 2 reason: 1. To say they were there and had a great time and 2. To say thank you to the host for setting the whole thing up.

So as the planner: You set it up, you know you were there, you don't really need to thank yourself for setting up the event, you already got credit for the hide, and do you really want to get an e-mail from GC saying you posted a note to your own event cache?

Everything you post in that cache page really says it all already.

Now, I must make one exception here.... If there are people that have the event on their watch list, then they would see your post in their e-mail rather than having to bring up the cache page again.

OK OK not looking for a flame war here, "found" to an "attended" really did not make that much difference to me about logging my own events.

You bet I log them, worked harder for the log the anyone attending did. Heee Heee.

That’s how I play the game if that bothers you ****, and play the game the way you want to ………. JOE

removed inappropriate language ~hydee

Edited by hydee
I suppose you could log it if you wanted. It won't bother me in the least :rolleyes:

But from looking at the logs for events that I've been to, I might wonder "why bother?" Usually the people posting logs on event caches are doing so for 2 reason: 1. To say they were there and had a great time and 2. To say thank you to the host for setting the whole thing up.

So as the planner: You set it up, you know you were there, you don't really need to thank yourself for setting up the event, you already got credit for the hide, and do you really want to get an e-mail from GC saying you posted a note to your own event cache?

Everything you post in that cache page really says it all already.

What he said.

Many of the events I've been to and been involved with have required months of planning and resources that cost money or favors. What's wrong with someone getting two credits? I think any group that has events more than annually has (should have) a group account that just lists events. That way everyone can play.

Go ahead. But you should come to at least one of them.

Either of the C&Cs are worthy.

The problem with having multiple people posting events under a single account for a group is that you should have the email address go to a distribution list and we haven't done this yet. Also, it would be nice if all the details are posted for events before the page goes up via a review note. I hate making KA work so hard. He has all those hamsters to care for.

:rolleyes:

I didn't on the first one I held and won't on my next one.

If you do, it's not hurting anybody (but you asked):

The 'credit' is going to the event and having a good time. You already get an icon (and/or) count for being hte organizer, why would you need it?

Just another number.....

Many of the events I've been to and been involved with have required months of planning and resources that cost money or favors. What's wrong with someone getting two credits? I think any group that has events more than annually has (should have) a group account that just lists events. That way everyone can play.

So I should get two credits for hiding a 5/5 cache? Why not three, or five then?

It doesn't matter how much work goes into a cache, the site is set up where you get credit once for each cache, not once for every time you visit it or for each piece of trash you CITO.

I "own" two event caches and didn't log either. I figured that it was silly to "find" a cache - even an event cache - that I own.

Now that the logging options have changed from "found it" to "attended", I would probably log them as "attended" in the future.

It's too bad that we can't DNF events anymore though.

There should at least be a "my car broke down on the way" log type :rolleyes:

(It's happened to me twice) :(

Fine, I want to log a smiley on all the events that your group submits for me to review. It's a lot of work, y'know. :rolleyes:

Sorry - you volunteered for that duty.

As much as I have pleaded with and begged others in my group to "host" events - they always asked me to set it up...again and again.....

I don't mind though.

These days I logged attended because, after all, I was there. In the past before the Attended option - I logged found.

I look at them as a group event even if my account was the "host".

I think it really depends on what you view the purpose of your statistics as being. Are they your "score" that you can compare to others' "scores" or are they a way of organizing your history?

If they are your score log them in the way you feel is most appropriate or that you can justify your logging method. (Because I don't want you winning the prize by stacking the deck B) )

However, if they are a way to organize your history, remember others can not see your Notes. Others can only check out what you have found, attended, placed, hosted, and retrieved.

I view them as a history, therefore, If I sponsored an event I would also place an attended log with my story and comments. It so happens that I am the organizer of events by River Valley Geocachers, and in the CITO Event logs everyone was thanking me, but I still attended and you can look at my stats and see that I attended. However if I had only written a note you would not be able to easily find that part of my history, just like many of my witty notes and DNF logs that will only be enjoyed by cache owners and future finders B) .

My wife and I have recently had a similar discussion with another caching couple about our differing philosophies. They view the stats as a score and they can not understand our decision to only log one attend log at a recent event that we found 23 of the 33 Cache Eggs that were placed for the event. Their view is that we could have 23 more finds counted in our "score". They also do not understand why my wife does not have her own account to log her finds separately from mine, because my wife can not tell you how many she has found.

I find it funny that they "found" caches that they are listed as 1 of 3 owners of. They were there when the caches were placed but since only one cacher can have the cache listed on their statistics, they "do not get any credit for the cache" (meaning It does not show on their statistics), so they revisited several caches to sign the logs so they could count them as finds.

It is all a difference in how everyone plays the game. There are teams that post from one account so that every person can brag about their finds when they have only found 7 caches themselves. Others never log online so that no one can make comments about their statistics. It is just a game, so log the way you feel is the right way for you. As you have seen in the responses to your question there are many different views to the right way to play the game. As long as you are not harming anyone else, you are happy with your decision, and you are enjoying the game you can log any way you want to.

Happy Caching.

GEO.JOE

You were there, log that you attended. In my experience the attended log is to tell the community how much fun you had. Tell your story!

Yeah But you could always Drop a note for that .

That is what we did for the first event we organized .

I think I agree with the people that feel that it is like Logging a find on your own cache.

You already get a lot of credit from the logs of the attendees plus the credit of placing the event itself.

Star

I log attendance at my events, and use that log to thank sponsors, contributors and guests, and to tell funny happenings and post pictures.

As far as logging my own hides as finds, I wouldn't, but then I rarely log ANY.

Here's a challenge for all who insist on repeating the tired old mantra "Numbers don't matter" - Quit logging them!

I only log very interesting caches or those where something interesting happens anymore. I have hundreds of finds I have not logged, and doubt I will ever go back to logging all caches. I do sign the cache log, and that's enough for me!

Ed

It is just a game, so log the way you feel is the right way for you. As you have seen in the responses to your question there are many different views to the right way to play the game. As long as you are not harming anyone else, you are happy with your decision, and you are enjoying the game you can log any way you want to.

Happy Caching.

GEO.JOE

This is really the bottom line isn’t it? I don’t remember reading anywhere about the “Jeep 1 Million Dollar Prize” for the most finds, so if you can live with how you take credit for your finds, I can live with it.

Edited by slapshot52