Pc Emulator W/ Mac & Garmin/mapsource?

Burning question! I apologize if this Q has been asked before. Searches turned up nothing.

I'm ready to buy a "real" computer and am leaning towards a new Mac. Many people say there is something called a PC emulator, but it's slow and not much "fun". But I haven't found anyone who actually uses it for a GPSr. I'm not a very sophisticated user.

I need some way to handle my Garmin 60cs/Mapsource software, get firmware updates from Garmin, as well as use PC only cell phone PIM software. I do remember someone suggesting getting a cheap PC to do PC only stuff.

Is there a simple one machine/Mac route?

Any links or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greenjeens

Edited by Greenjeens

To answer my own questions, seems probably easier just to have a seperate PC, especially for an unskilled computer user.

It appears, within my limited understanding, that USB/GPSr/Mac connections are not compatible.

Serial connections appear to be of some use. Firmware downloads from Garmin using a Mac seem to be a non starter.

Trying to make these devices talk, looks like a recipe for lots of grief...

unless something new and magical has changed between Garmin and newer Mac operating systems or experimental software?

Here's a discussion.

Garmin Software On Apple Imacs ?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=78546

-

sid

Hi

I'm not sure how this will all turn out but I just got started in this and have the same issue, I already own a MAC. But after looking around I just ordered this DB-9 to USB cable and then download the following software, and yes the software is free. GPSMacBabel , download the one named "Download MacGPSBabel-1.2.5.zip" and I downloaded this one too, TerraBrowser . Hopefully this gets me where I want to go, no pun intended. I'll let you know how it all works once the cabl shows up.

DB-9 to USB

GPS MAC Babel

TerraBrowser