Amazing Garmin Service!

last week, Julie (my wife) damaged the rubber cover over the buttons on her Garmin Foretrex 101 (don't ask me how she did it they are really tough)! I sent it back to Garmin asking them to contact me with the cost of the repair, we accepted that the damage was our fault. I also asked if I could buy a spare battery cover for my Geko 201.

This morning we received a parcel. Inside a new Foretrex and two spare battery covers for the Geko! Cost for everything = NOTHING!

If this is how they treat their customers I'm sold! In this day and age where profit seems to be the only motivating factor for everything I am so impressed.

THANK YOU GARMIN!

Martin

Had the same with my eTrex Camo. I openly admitted that I jammed it twixt dashboard and windscreen on my car. Needless to say the screen on the Camo cracked.

Again they replaced it free of charge.

The Law of Sod has said that the screen on the new one has cracked again, and I didn't do anything this time. It is back with Garmin again.

So impressed with the service that I received that I decided to get another Garmin even though I had been eyeing up some of the Magellans.

Hopefully my travel bug will sell on eBay for enough to buy a matching pair of 60CS units with enough money left over to buy a bag of chips on the way home!

If this is how they treat their customers I'm sold! In this day and age where profit seems to be the only motivating factor for everything I am so impressed.

Nothing wrong with profit... but it's nice to see a company where the bean-counters haven't yet taken over from the people who know how to spell "customer loyalty".

I've heard lots of good stories about Garmin after-sales service, but I'm still waiting for something to break...

I sent it back to Garmin asking them to contact me with the cost of the repair

This morning we received a parcel.

Cost for everything = NOTHING!

Garmin have my Venture at their Romsey office at the moment. The screen has developed an intermittent fault where horizontal lines would appear rendering the display useless, then it would fade to nothing. I'll let you know what happens with it.

It's already been back there once before for a new rubber gasket (repaired free of charge).

We found a fault with the cable of the speaker/power supply unit for our Streetpilot 3. Where the cable divides, the power supply lead had pulled out of the conduit. While it all worked normally, it would only be a matter of time before the exposed, flimsier cables failed.

Bernie phoned Garmin to see about getting it fixed or repaired - "Give me your address. We'll send you a new one"!

Garmin's hardware and customer service are excellent.

...now we've got to hope this philosophy will permeate to their software pricing bods!

Being very cynical about it, it's word-of-mouth advertising.

A thread like this is worth far more than an advertising campaign.

As GPS units are still, to an extent, a niche product, with few major competing manufacturers, this is the way to go. Not that there's anything wrong with this approach - customers are happy, and the company is profitable. :laughing:

Over the past 16 years I've owned several Garmins and several Magellans.

I've only had two occasions to seek help from Magellan, once in the US about 10 years ago and once in the UK last year. Magellan's customer service department was completely useless on both occasions.

Without exception, everyone I've ever known to have had any dealings with Garmin's customer service has spoken glowingly of them.

Although I'm happy with my current Magellan, I've already decided that my next GPSr will be a Garmin, solely because of their well renowned customer service ethic.

Before Garmin get too excited about this thread, I'd just remind them that I was entirely unimpressed with their inability to sell me, or persuade their retail outlets to sell me, two lanyards to replace some which were chewed through by rodents.

Only after some weeks and many emails, some of which were ignored, did they finally offer to send me the lanyards FOC.

So, yes, things did work out in the end but the whole thing wasn't handled well by Garmin.

Garmin have my Venture at their Romsey office at the moment. The screen has developed an intermittent fault where horizontal lines would appear rendering the display useless, then it would fade to nothing. I'll let you know what happens with it.

It's already been back there once before for a new rubber gasket (repaired free of charge).

I'd love to tell you that I received my old Garmin back this morning after repair, but I can't, because I didn't.

This morning I received a brand new Garmin Venture replaced under warranty.

They now have me as a customer for life. Guaranteed!

Edited by Stuey

Full marks to Garmin. I needed to contact them over a missing part some time ago and recieved it next day with no problem. Garmin customer relations is first class. They treat their customers well, and keep them in the process. I now have my third Garmin and will only use Garmin now because I know if there is a problem, I will bet to speak to a person, not a machine, and that the problem will be corrected with no fuss. Well done Garmin for giving such a first class service. A lot of companies would do well to see how Garmin does it as it is a pity more companies were like Garmin. Yes it cost them a little bit, but all this is all recovered in valued custom and goodwill, not to mention word of mouth from satisfied customers. Well done all the staff at Garmin.

It must be Garmin's day for fixing things!

You will recall that I sent my eTrex Camo back to Garmin after the screen cracked for the second time. The first time was my fault. I owned up and they still replaced it for free.

This time I honestly have no recollection of anything that I could have done would have cracked the screen. It was in a case. It was always treated carefully.

I have just answered the door to a nice man from the local courier company and guess what? Sure enough another brand new eTrex Camo. Result!!

What a brilliant company. I was wavering about whether I should buy the 60CS due to dwindling funds, but this has sealed the deal.

I shall continue my one-man Garmin advertising campaign.

This calls for a blog entry! :unsure:

We should sent a link to these messages so they understand their good Customer Service is appreciated.

I bet they are ALL cachers :):unsure:

I believe that (a) Garmin staff DO read these forums; and (:) some of them do go caching, but don't advertise their connections (for obvious reasons).

Yes, Garmin support have helped sort me out too...

Paul

Is there anyone with a 60C or 60CS that has noticed the zoom in and out buttons wearing down? All the covering on mine has worn off completely, and I'm left with 2 transparent buttons.

If you look at the thing side on, those buttons protrude more than the others, which I think causes the problem. If you place it face down it actually rests on those buttons. Design fault perhaps?

T

If you look at the thing side on, those buttons protrude more than the others, which I think causes the problem. If you place it face down it actually rests on those buttons. Design fault perhaps?

User error: place it face up :):):unsure:

I also have had excellent service from Garmin: I turned up on their doorstep during my lunchbreak without an appointment, needing a new memory-backup battery in my 3+. 15 minutes later I had a new GPS free.

Oh, and Blitzy's right - at least 2 members of Garmin's UK staff are cachers.

I also have had excellent service from Garmin: I turned up on their doorstep during my lunchbreak without an appointment, needing a new memory-backup battery in my 3+. 15 minutes later I had a new GPS free.

Bearing in mind that they are charging about 80% more in the UK for the same product than they charge in the USA, they can afford to be generous on their repair service.

Has anyone ever sent a US bought GPSr back to Garmin UK for service? I would be interested to know the outcome.

a-

Edited by SlytherinAlex

My rubber seal has come off of my summit but despite the excellent service Garmin provides I am very hesitant to send it back and leave me without a GPS for a week or so. It still works fine but takes some carefull punching and think I'll try some superglue to reaffix it.