Specialized Tools Of The Trade

nfa

Please read the post before markwelling me to a million discussions of what people have in their geocaching backpacks.

I am interested in finding out about the specialized tools or objects you use to find or retrieve caches.

Examples:

• I sometimes carry one of those rubbery jar openers to open screw-top caches
  • my leatherman has been useful in prying ancient ammo-can apart (or back together)
  • I wish I had a sledge hammer with me at a cache in VT recently, as the entire cache was encapsulated in ice within a crack in a rock
  • I used to carry a combination mirror/magnet that could be extended into small spaces to grab caches, or to make sure there was nothing nasty waiting to pounce on my hand

I would love to hear about the gear that goes beyond: water, pen, cell-phone...and the stories that go with the gear.

nfa-jamie

Not in the backpack now, but it could be: 18 inch flexi grabber tool with the thumb plunger trigger.

If you are willing to carry a sledge hammer, then maybe a 16 inch Eastwing prybar would be okay. Mine's in the vehicle, and I've used it to pry and womp on things.

Hiking stick, many uses. Duct tape... of course

tweezers or small hobby type needle nose pliars for extracting the ultra-micro logs from the exceptionally small caches...

oooh! good idea!

i do have the extendable mirror normally used for working on cars. very handy for looking at hidden support beams and undersides of benches without getting too icky.

I always bring along a magnetic compass and flashlight but I'm sure most people do.

A probing tool of some kind would be handy, in which case bringing a hiking stick (or monopod for you photographers) would be useful, although I don't like the hassle of actually carrying one.

I hate getting my hands dirty grubbing around for the cache container so gloves and/or handy wipes would be useful. Leather gloves would be useful for many places around here where thorn bushes are common.

Gore-tex socks are also very useful to keep in a 'caching bag since you never know when you'll end up in muddy or wet terrain.

For that matter, spare clothes can save the day if you're really unlucky.

I always have a digital camera with me and it has come in handy for Geocaching. I've used it to photograph where I thought the cache should be but wasn't, and can then send the photo to the cache owner to confirm that I was looking in the right place. It is also a good prop to explain why you're loitering in a particular area, although I wouldn't recommend its use around playgrounds or tanning beaches. ;-)

GeoBC

Last fall I went after a unique type of cache that was about 4 feet above the water in a hollow branch of a dead tree. Since you cannot stand up in an inflatable kayak I had to make up some tools to look down in the branches, then get the cache out of it. After much thought I purchased a paint roller telescoping extension and fabricated adapters to attach a pickup truck door mirror and a couple different types of hooks. It worked out great. Check out "Among the Ghosts" in WV.

Skyraider

There was a cache that we nearly DNF'd on where some sort of tool would have been helpful. It had been hidden in the hollow of a tree. Initially, it was easily reachable, but over time the hollow part widened just enough that the cache slipped down pretty deep into the tree. (It had not been found in months; the log before ours was a DNF.)

During our search, we both thought that the tree looked like an ideal spot. My co-crab peered in, and shined his flashlight in, and said "Nope, not in here." (He was wearing sunglasses, so everything was dark; but they were Rx, and he couldn't see a thing if he took them off.) I looked in, and said "Wait! I think I can see something rectangular way down in there!" I reached in as far as I could, but couldn't touch it to confirm that it wasn't just my imagination. He then reached in as far as he could (arms longer than mine) and could just barely feel something flat and metal. We were stymied for a bit: I could see it but couldn't reach it; he could reach it but couldn't see it. And neither of us could actually grab it. We tried poking it with branches to dislodge it, but the area had been flooded for months, and all the branches were so waterlogged that they just disintegrated. I went back into the woods where I had remembered tripping over a length of thicky rusty wire; I was hoping to find a piece of manageable size to make some sort of hook out of. While I was at it, I heard the "Got it!" call from my co-crab, who had managed to somehow stretch his arm an extra inch and snag the ammo can handle. (His shirts haven't fit right ever since.)

So, anyway: some sort of long narrow strong flexible hook thing would have been handy. ;)

I have a small square mirror that I use as a flashlight. If you position yourself so that you can reflect the sun, it is brighter than any flashlight in the daytime for looking in holes and stumps. I originally started carrying it on the off chance a signal mirror would be needed if we got lost, but it is really useful on sunny days.

Some researchers use the same technique to see down gopher tortoise holes, which can be very long and sometimes contain eastern diamondback rattlesnakes :laughing:

Edited by Vetcacher

I don't use a backpack. I thought about it and bought a fishing vest.. all kinds of pockets and my "unbottle" Camelback goes in the rear big pocket. I carry small first aid kit, wire, leatherman, type. Nice Hickory walking stick. Small flashlight and compass in one of the pockets. Even a cheap folded rain poncho and a "Space Blanket". Insect repellant, extra pens and pencils, I also bring an old scuba knife, has serrated side, sharp side and a hammer butt end...

With my stick and Panama Jack hat, the kids make fun of me, they hum The Raiders of the lost Ark theme...Even gave me a bull whip for Xmas. Smart A---- alecks....But I have enought to repair someone's cache if needed. Have used the pliers to open stuck PVC etc... The vest keeps everything together and allows me to drop in in the car or at home and be ready to go anytime...

Edited by One of the Texas Vikings

Here's a few I didn't see.

1. Gloves. Very useful when going in under the saw palmettos.

2. Child, preferably under 10. Very useful for going into underbrush and gathering caches without getting all sorts of junk in my hair. This item however does not fit well into a backpack.

3. A very messy car. For some caches, it is an absolute necessity. You would be suprised at what you can use to access a cache, find swag for a cache, or other purposes even I haven't seen yet. However, once again this item will not fit well into a backpack.

I carry a small flashlight, leatherman tool, compass, first aid kit, extra cache supplies (bags, log books, etc.) and all have come in handy.

But the most valuable thing I take with me is a stick. I recently learend that if you poke a stick into a hollow tree and there is a squirrel in the hollow tree the result - - not surprisingly - - is a very angry squirrel.

I also find that sunglasses are helpful because when you are looking down a the gps while walking you don't always see the thin branch coming at you eye.

I carry a small flashlight, leatherman tool, compass, first aid kit, extra cache supplies (bags, log books, etc.) and all have come in handy.

But the most valuable thing I take with me is a stick. I recently learend that if you poke a stick into a hollow tree and there is a squirrel in the hollow tree the result - - not surprisingly - - is a very angry squirrel.

I also find that sunglasses are helpful because when you are looking down a the gps while walking you don't always see the thin branch coming at you eye.

Skip the sunglasses in Florida, or you'll never see the spiders or webs. This is where a good walking stick is most useful. Hold it so the top is in front of you just above head head level. You can blaze a trail through the webs, and keep twigs out of eyes.

I personally get sick and tired of getting the knees of my jeans dirty almost everytime we go out! :ph34r: Seems no matter how hard I try to keep them clean, I end up kneeling in the dirt at some point! I work at a furniture store and one day they were throwing away leather swatches. "WAIT! Give me one of those!" It now accompanies me every time we go out. It folds up small to carry and when needed, I can put the "finished" side down, kneel on it, and brush it off when done! It can be "sat upon" as well! If it gets really muddy, it has a grommet in the corner. I can clip it to a carabiner on my pack and it'll be dry enough to brush off in a few minutes (usually by the time we hike back to the truck!).

Time to chime in.

Not many under my belt, but i've found that an old rag, or (in my case) an old towel [cut into quarters] should be part of anyone's trekking kit. Didn't have one at first.. boy was I sorry...

Half the caches i've been to have either been wet, soggy, or it was actually raining outside by the time I got to it. I had a rag on my last trip and I used it to dry off soggy swag.

Edited by Marcie/Eric

A bandana and a pocketknife. Usually if the cache is more exciting than can be handled with those two, I wimp out. (I like the idea of tweezers for micros... cool!) I try to save the dessicant packets from furikake and shoes and rice crackers to put into zippy bags with logs; if I find a dampish one. Guess it's the library jobs (book repair) in my past... I can't stand the anguished wimpering of wet paper!

Found a really neat vest last year, don't need a backpack at all, just stuff everything into the pockets (link to vest). Depending on how long I will be out will determine on what I take. I take the basics - good quality knife (folding & fixed), cell phone, batteries, durable leather work gloves, small flashlight and of course a good pair of stump kickers.

I'm off to Harbor Freight Tools to pick up an inspection mirror and a metal detector. There's an Altoids tin somewhere in the landscaping. I'll find it yet.

I'm going into the store with a tin and a pocket full of batteries. NOT LIKE I'M NOT EATING UP ENOUGH BATTERIES AS IT IS WITH THIS HOBBY! If the detector can find the tin ON THE FLOOR, I know it'll work. It's on sale for $25. I figure that's the sign of TRUE quality.

As for my tool kit:

Swag (to trade)

Bags (and other repairs)

Nags (wife and kids)

Walking stick

Writing implements: pencil, pen, or gel pen (works on wet log pages) whatever's handy

Digital Camera

Palm IIIxe with MobiPocket queries stored inside

Lowrance iFinder Hunt

Spare Batteries (my Enegizer 2500 nmh work very nice, thank you very much)

I got a very nice photographer's vest for Christmas. So on top of the spare lenses, mini tripod, filters, etc, I'm loaded down with all this extra Geocaching stuff.

Cargo pants with numerous pockets are essential as well. A well fitting belt has taken care of my "crack" problem.

Finally, to top off the "ensemble", we have a top of the line Kelty K.I.D.S. backpack baby carrier for lugging around our little one. I'm a real pack mule when you include the diaper supplies and toddler fodder.

Reading this reminded me to change over my backpack to my vest. I bought a Campco Vest from out local Army/Navy Store. All the pockets have velcro but the vest itself is made out of nylon mesh. It has enough pockets for anything you would need. When placing new larger caches, I still use my backpack. Just to keep people from asking about the ammo can I'm carrying around.

Edited by TeamTurtles